Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Anyone know who created Errtu?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

arilyn742
Seeker

Ireland
54 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2005 :  19:31:13  Show Profile  Visit arilyn742's Homepage Send arilyn742 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm considering editing the article at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Errtu, which says that R.A. Salvatore created him, despite my having heard somewhere that Salvatore was just using an earlier invention of Gary Gygax? Anyone able to clear this up for me?

Yonde iru, mune no doko ka oku de
Itsumo kokoro odoru yume wo mitai
Kanashimi wa kazoekirenai keredo
Sono mukou de kitto anata ni aeru

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2005 :  19:48:29  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Errtu is one of the six type-VI demons listed on p. 198 of the original Dungeon Master's Guide by Gary Gygax, along with Alzoll, Balor, Ndulu, Ter-soth and Wendonai. Bob didn't create Errtu, but he substantially developed the character for his novels. (The authors of the MC8 Monstrous Compendium appendix decided to call type VI demons 'balors', after one of that kind. It's revisionism for the entry to use 'Balor' and 'tanar'ri', terms conceived after Errtu.)
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2005 :  20:26:33  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well MM11 1st Edition lists Errtu as a type VI Demon and points a reference to MMI, though that only points to Balor and other type V1 Demons, the Edition I have does not list the other names of type VI however it appears clear by time MMII was written in 1982, copyright 1983. These dates most likely preceed RAS books.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2005 :  20:29:47  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Errtu is one of the six type-VI demons listed on p. 198 of the original Dungeon Master's Guide by Gary Gygax,

I forgot to look at the monster listing in the DMG
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2005 :  21:50:25  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would point out that of the original 6 balors (5 if you don't count "Balor"), 4 have been integrated into the Realms:

1) Ndulu first appears in Ed Greenwood's article about swords in Dragon (reprinted in FR4 - the Magister). This reference is built up on in Sea of Fallen Stars (and possibly future projects).

2) Errtu first appears in R. A. Salvatore's "The Crystal Shard."

3) Ter-Soth first appears in H4 - The Throne of Bloodstone, page 47.

4) Wendonai is detailed in Lost Empires of Faerun, pages 52, 54-55.

Just an interesting tidbit of Realmslore.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000