Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Expanded Spellfire
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2005 :  17:42:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So I'm thinking of picking up the expanded version of Spellfire...

Has anyone read this one yet? How does it compare to the previous versions?

And my Lady Hooded One, care to weigh in on this one?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6656 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2005 :  11:51:55  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Expanded? Unfortunately not. Ed was allowed to re-introduce the plot element of the malaugrym involvement in the story of Shandril but had to cut out other bits from the original published version for all the 'additions' that he wanted to make. Then an editor cut more out as well. If you read both versions one after the other and skip the doubled up bits, you get the whole story (sorta ...).

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2005 :  22:47:38  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do have the novel and read it only last year. I also own the original Spellfire but it's been a LONG time since I read it.

As George states, the "extended" parts are scenes containing the Malaugrym.2 I can't put my finger on the other areas but theres a few passages from Ed as to the reasoning and story of the extended edition contained in the novel.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2005 :  22:47:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sigh. I was afraid of that...

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2005 :  14:51:12  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And the whole book was recopyedited and edges rubbed off the prose. Frustrating after waiting so long.

(As an editor, I've never been asked to do such a job except to authors who can barely write, and would likely refuse.)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2005 :  23:21:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alright... Thanks for the comments, gents.

I'll hold off, then, and wait for them to eventually decide to release Spellfire -- The Author's Preferred Edition.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2005 :  23:38:38  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is waiting for the Complete Spellfire Edition.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

LaughingWizard
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2005 :  01:46:17  Show Profile  Visit LaughingWizard's Homepage Send LaughingWizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Met again One and All,
I've been absent from the keep for a while! To Wooly Rupert: The expanded Spellfire is worth reading, as was mentioned, if you sort of parallel it to the original. I doubt that Ed will ever be able to release the whole story the way he wanted to tell it though. It is unfortunate that the Book Dept. was so shortsighted as to mandate the butchering of a good tale! (Business is business I guess!) Any folks interested in learning Ed's take on the matter, see the thread "Hand of Fire" posted on the third page of this category. (I'd post a link, but I don't know how....arrrghh!!! Happy reading. Wiz in the Northlands.

A woman, or a man, may come to hold many treasures in life. Gold, gems, a good name, lovers, good friends, influence, high rank--all of these are of value. All of these most covet. But of them all the most valuable, I tell ye, are friends good and true. Have these, and ye will scarce notice the lack if ye never win aught else."

The adventuress Sharanralee, Ballads and Lore of One Dusty Road, Year of the Wandering Maiden
From Spellfire by Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000