Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Erik Scott de Bie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 53

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2006 :  05:34:55  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Sweet Sacrifice, Evanescence

I had a feeling you'd select this. Though, your reasoning about it reminding you of the Depths only intrigue me more.

I have the distinct impression you'll be liking this book.

quote:
quote:
Last Breath, Evanescence

"Safe inside myself." Hmmm... a nice pyschological fit for Twilight, I think.

My thoughts exactly. How very, very right on you are.

quote:
quote:
All That I'm Living For, Evanescence

Considering the bitterness in Twilight's character... I'm almost tempted to say that the acoustic version of ATILF would be more appropriate. There's far more emotion... though, an exciting choice overall.

Haven't heard the acoustic version, actually -- I'll have to look into that one!

"The ghosts are gaining on me."

quote:
quote:
My Immortal, Evanescence

I personally prefer the piano/vocal only version, but again, another intriguing choice.

Meh -- just a difference in preference. I think it's largely because I felt the original was just lacking that sort of shift, so when the remix of MI came out, I was in hog heaven. The piano/vocal version might fit the character better, or it might be just *too* emotional(?). Depends on one's individual conception, methinks.

quote:
You've got me interested in another character as well now... especially "Meaning of Life" with regard to Twilight.

Heheheh. Just you wait.

That is, assuming Twilight's story continues beyond Depths -- I mean, that's up to Wizards.

And she could always die, you know. Permanently, that is.

But let's just say -- I know that story, and I'd like to tell it.

quote:
All excellent suggestions Erik. I happily approve.

Happy Holidays, Sage!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2006 :  14:12:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

I have the distinct impression you'll be liking this book.
Well, I'm working on putting together as much of this playlist as possible, but I'm having difficulty finding some of these other songs. I'll likely listen to it around the time I'm reading Depths.

quote:
My thoughts exactly. How very, very right on you are.
The question is... Does Fox miss the winter?

As an elf, I'm assuming she probably doesn't.

quote:
Haven't heard the acoustic version, actually -- I'll have to look into that one!
There's a version floating around on youtube.com, from the Yahoo! Sessions Online as I recall.

quote:
"The ghosts are gaining on me."
Lock the last open door and Fox should be fine!

quote:
Meh -- just a difference in preference. I think it's largely because I felt the original was just lacking that sort of shift, so when the remix of MI came out, I was in hog heaven. The piano/vocal version might fit the character better, or it might be just *too* emotional(?). Depends on one's individual conception, methinks.
Actually, you've presented an intriguing case for the alternate version.

Individual conception is a part of it, I agree. I guess I'll just have to see whether it still fits after reading the book.

quote:
That is, assuming Twilight's story continues beyond Depths -- I mean, that's up to Wizards.

And she could always die, you know. Permanently, that is.

But let's just say -- I know that story, and I'd like to tell it.
Here's hoping...

quote:
Happy Holidays, Sage!
And to you as well, Erik.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2006 :  02:18:38  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, erik! Depths is looking great thus far....anything interesting you can tell us now? Any old characters we can expect within?
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  08:01:39  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ethriel

Hey, erik!

Hey!

Happy Holidays!

quote:
Depths is looking great thus far....anything interesting you can tell us now?

Can't say more than I have said thus far, I'm afraid!

Other than that my editor and I are working out promotional material for the novel. You'll most likely see a companion short story before the actual novel, as I did with "Wayfarer" and Ghostwalker.

quote:
Any old characters we can expect within?

Now let's see . . . there are two meanings to that question, and I think I can answer both.

There are three characters in the novel who are over 52 years of age (which I believe is the D&D human "old" age category), though only one of them would be "old" by the standards implied by your question. One of these characters is Twilight, but she's certainly not *old*. Quite young, in fact -- perhaps the book will reveal exactly how old she is.

Or perhaps not.

As for the other way of answering your question -- I believe Twilight is the only of my characters you will have seen prior to Depths . . . though if you read the companion piece, you may just see more of them.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2007 :  01:35:22  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Once more, popping in with gifts (or, rather, gift--singular).

I promised The Sage a Twilight playlist and, well, here it is:

You Give Love a Bad Name, Bon Jovi
Bitch, Meredith Brooks
Pain, Jimmy Eat World
Bring Me to Life, Evanescence
Raspberry Swirl, Tori Amos
Out of Control, She Wants Revenge
Last Breath, Evanescence
Shame, Stabbing Westward
Whenever, Wherever, Shakira
Iiee, Tori Amos
Spookshow Baby, Rob Zombie
Paperdoll, Kittie
Meaning of Life, Disturbed
Ojos Asi, Shakira
My Immortal, Evanescence
Evil Angel, Breaking Benjamin
Breathe, Melissa Etheridge
Because of You, Kelly Clarkson

Explanations of each of these songs (i.e. why they're included, etc.) are on my blog: http://eriksdb.livejournal.com

Happy Christmas and a Merry New Year!

Cheers

Greetings from the Heartland of America!!!

What a great late Christmas gift to find in the new year.

A nice find after "My log winter's nap", otherwise known at out farm as the Harvest from hell.

Looks like I missed alot, but am glad to find this nugget.

I hope you squeeze Snow White Queen in somewhere , that song just sticks everytime I hear it and would fit a vilian nicely. (Which makes sense because Amy Lee wrote it for the Chronicles of Narnia.)

Cannot wait for Depths to arrive on my doorstep!

Erik, just one little bitty spoiler for a weary farmer who has just made the trek back into the warmth of Candlekeep?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2007 :  01:51:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

I hope you squeeze Snow White Queen in somewhere , that song just sticks everytime I hear it and would fit a vilian nicely. (Which makes sense because Amy Lee wrote it for the Chronicles of Narnia.)
Snow White Queen wasn't the "Narnia" song. We don't know exactly which song that is, other than the fact that the introduction to Good Enough was part of it. Which, co-incidently, I think would also make a worthy addition to Fox's playlist.

To me, Snow White Queen seems to fit the Simbul more than anything else.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2007 :  04:45:18  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Greetings from the Heartland of America!!!

Greetings indeed! Glad to see you back.

quote:
What a great late Christmas gift to find in the new year.

A nice find after "My log winter's nap", otherwise known at out farm as the Harvest from hell.

Nothing but sympathy -- that's a hard job you've got there.

quote:

Who knows? Twilight may indeed run afowl of a snowy queen -- or, perhaps, already has. . . .

quote:
Cannot wait for Depths to arrive on my doorstep!

Nor can I!

quote:
Erik, just one little bitty spoiler for a weary farmer who has just made the trek back into the warmth of Candlekeep?

Bah! I'm not falling for THAT one.

Seriously, though -- no more tidbits can I speak, except to say that there may indeed be promotional material regarding the novel that appears either in late February or March proper. Keep an eye out!

My blog is your best bet.

quote:

Which, co-incidently, I think would also make a worthy addition to Fox's playlist.

Hmm -- yes, I think you're right. Maybe I'll add that one! I think of the Open Door as being a good theme album to listen to while reading Depths, actually.

I might also mention that "Good Enough" is my better half's favorite song off that album.

Cheers

Mod Edit: I just repaired the QUOTE boxes Erik.

Erik Edit: Thanks! -- None too good at those, a'times.

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 14 Jan 2007 05:36:10
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2007 :  05:41:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Who knows? Twilight may indeed run afowl of a snowy queen -- or, perhaps, already has. . . .
You tease!

quote:

Hmm -- yes, I think you're right. Maybe I'll add that one!
Neat.

As soon as I'm done with Depths, I'm going to take a shot at putting together my own EV playlist for Fox -- though I'll likely want to draw on material from their limited release EPs as well.

quote:
I think of the Open Door as being a good theme album to listen to while reading Depths, actually.
Oooh! I could see Origin being the theme album for "The Greatest Treasure."

quote:
I might also mention that "Good Enough" is my better half's favorite song off that album.
Funny that... my own better half just recently told me the same thing.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2007 :  02:33:57  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As soon as I'm done with Depths, I'm going to take a shot at putting together my own EV playlist for Fox -- though I'll likely want to draw on material from their limited release EPs as well.

Ooh! Haven't heard all of those. :)

I'll have to hunt some down. Suggestions on which and (possibly) where?

quote:
To me, Snow White Queen seems to fit the Simbul more than anything else.

I don't know, there's a certain very powerful priestess of Auril somewhere up in the frozen north . . .

And no, that's not a tease or a hint. Nothing out of me regarding her -- at least at the moment.

And for those who doubt that Twilight looks like Amy Lee . . .

http://evanescence.com/gallery.asp

She's got the same "pale eyes."

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 15 Jan 2007 02:37:04
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2007 :  03:02:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ooh! Haven't heard all of those. :)
Naughty Erik!

quote:
I'll have to hunt some down. Suggestions on which and (possibly) where?
Suggestions on which... I'm composing a basic listing now given Twilight's appearance in "The Greatest Treasure". A full listing will have to wait until after I've read Depths.

As for where... see the EV Reference site here:- http://evanescencereference.info/music/

And yes, it's all legal -- Amy makes that quite clear.

quote:
I don't know, there's a certain very powerful priestess of Auril somewhere up in the frozen north . . .
Hehe...

A number of EV and FR fans, myself included, have been discussing possible Auril connections with the theme of a "Snow White Queen" and the visual setting of Lithium on an EV forum -- we all agree that the Winter Palace in Luskan would make an (almost) appropriate Realms-interpretation.

Though, ice-packed garments are probably a stretch.

quote:

Interesting.

Did any of these images provide inspiration for you when you first began describing Twilight in "The Greatest Treasure?"

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2007 :  15:36:59  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As for where... see the EV Reference site here:- http://evanescencereference.info/music/

And yes, it's all legal -- Amy makes that quite clear.

I'll have to check that one out -- but probably not on my coffee break.

quote:
Did any of these images provide inspiration for you when you first began describing Twilight in "The Greatest Treasure?"

Not these, since I either hadn't found these images at the time or they hadn't yet existed. I did, however, particularly like the My Immortal video . . .

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2007 :  05:13:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'll have to check that one out -- but probably not on my coffee break.
Neato!

And, if you have the time... I wouldn't mind hearing what you thought about some of these earlier EV releases -- after you listened to them, of course.

quote:
Not these, since I either hadn't found these images at the time or they hadn't yet existed. I did, however, particularly like the My Immortal video . . .
Hmmm... That's brings up another related question... though since it will likely stretch the bounds of Realmslore, I think I'll tackle this one through PMs.

Edited by - The Sage on 16 Jan 2007 05:20:43
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2007 :  01:45:10  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And Sage,

It's a heck of an album, hope you and your lady enjoy as much as me and mine!
I did. And I still am.

quote:

Once more, popping in with gifts (or, rather, gift--singular).

I promised The Sage a Twilight playlist and, well, here it is:

You Give Love a Bad Name, Bon Jovi
Bitch, Meredith Brooks
Pain, Jimmy Eat World
Bring Me to Life, Evanescence
Raspberry Swirl, Tori Amos
Out of Control, She Wants Revenge
Last Breath, Evanescence
Shame, Stabbing Westward
Whenever, Wherever, Shakira
Iiee, Tori Amos
Spookshow Baby, Rob Zombie
Paperdoll, Kittie
Meaning of Life, Disturbed
Ojos Asi, Shakira
My Immortal, Evanescence
Evil Angel, Breaking Benjamin
Breathe, Melissa Etheridge
Because of You, Kelly Clarkson

Explanations of each of these songs (i.e. why they're included, etc.) are on my blog: http://eriksdb.livejournal.com

Happy Christmas and a Merry New Year!

Cheers
That's fabulous, Erik. A truly inspiring selection.

quote:

Cheers
Oh, I never doubted it.

I will admit that I've come to appreciate Fox-at-Twilight's character in a different way, now that I've read through these recent posts. It's a sure bet there'll be a fight between the Sage and myself on who will read Depths of Madness first once our copy arrives.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Lady Kazandra on 21 Jan 2007 01:46:11
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2007 :  20:43:31  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

That's fabulous, Erik. A truly inspiring selection.

I'm glad you like it, m'lady. [bow]

quote:
I will admit that I've come to appreciate Fox-at-Twilight's character in a different way, now that I've read through these recent posts.

Ooh! Excellent! (Assuming your "different way" is a positive way. )

quote:
It's a sure bet there'll be a fight between the Sage and myself on who will read Depths of Madness first once our copy arrives.

Oh man, I've really done it now. Hype hype hype!

But seriously -- here's an idea, from struggles of mutual interest in my own household: Have one of you read it aloud to the other.

Cheers

P.S. You could always wait for the audiobook, but that might be a LONG wait.

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2007 :  22:42:15  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why not just get two copies?

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2007 :  23:46:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, I've always asked the Lady K the same thing...

I've yet to receive a response beyond a mere smile and wink.

Go to Top of Page

koz
Seeker

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2007 :  00:33:52  Show Profile  Visit koz's Homepage Send koz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings Mr. de Bie
I finished Ghostwalker a couple of weeks ago and I wanted to congratulate you on an excellent novel. I agree with all the praise this book has gotten. It was almost as if I was watching the movie as I was reading the book. This was the first novel I read along with the book club. Unfortunately I was not a member of this fine site at the time so I could not join in the discussion. It did increase my enjoyment of the novel though. It is always nice to see what others thought. It was also great to see how much you interact with your fans. Hopefully when Depths of Madness comes out I will be able to join in the conversation. Looking forward to conversing with you then.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2007 :  04:02:21  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by koz

Greetings Mr. de Bie
I finished Ghostwalker a couple of weeks ago and I wanted to congratulate you on an excellent novel.

Why thank you for your kind words, good sir! I am glad you enjoyed it.

Might I inquire as to a favorite part/character/scene? Or perhaps a *least* favorite scene, and why? I love hearing constructive criticism/feedback.

Also, is there any aspect of the novel I might elucidate for you?

quote:
Hopefully when Depths of Madness comes out I will be able to join in the conversation. Looking forward to conversing with you then.

As do I! I shall look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Feel free to drop me an email any time (erikscottdebie AT yahoo.com), or swing by my blog: eriksdb.livejournal.com. There, you'll find linked many of my fellow authors, including Paul Kemp and Elaine Cunningham, and most of the Young Dragons.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2007 :  04:05:57  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinolyrna Fathomlin

Why not just get two copies?

'Tis the fairest ones often have the best solutions.

quote:

You know, I've always asked the Lady K the same thing...

I've yet to receive a response beyond a mere smile and wink.

Uh oh, Sage -- that means she's onto your game!

You know. . . in the right situation, with postage/compensation, I might see through to send you a signed copy.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2007 :  05:27:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Uh oh, Sage -- that means she's onto your game!
Indeed.

Sometimes, I think she knows me better than I know myself. 'Tis a frightening prospect...

quote:
You know. . . in the right situation, with postage/compensation, I might see through to send you a signed copy.
An intriguing offer, kind sir!

Go to Top of Page

koz
Seeker

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2007 :  10:33:56  Show Profile  Visit koz's Homepage Send koz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know if I can narrow it down to just one favorite scene, character or part. The whole book flowed together so well and there was never any down time. I really had to pay attention because even the smallest details had major ramifications later. I loved the fight scenes. They were very well choreographed and handled very well. I thought the way you had Walker approach and handle each different fight really helped develop his character. The moody atmosphere and weather really set a creepy and dark backdrop for the story as well. I really liked the way that Walker used his Ghostwalker abilities to make dramatic entrances and exits. As I said before the whole novel had a very cinematic feel to me. A lot of times I find myself figuring out the plot of a novel too soon and it kind of ruins it for me. That did not happen this time though. There were just enough twists and turns to keep me guessing. I did figure a couple of things out but not enough to spoil the novel. Sometimes I find myself "having" to keep reading a book just so I can say I fi nished it but not this time. In fact I had to force myself to slow down so I wouldn't miss anything and so I could enjoy the conversation of my fellow Realms fans in the book club. The ending for some might have been a bit of a sore spot but I think I took it differently than most. Yes I could see the tragic scene unfolding only one way and it was bittersweet but it fit the story very nicely. The way I look at it though is whenever you have a climatic showdown and one or both of the combatants "dies" without leaving a body there is always a chance they will pop up somewhere in the future with another outstanding story to tell. Here's hoping you get a chance to tell that story. The only thing I would have like was a little more backstory on Derst and Bars. They really lightened up the mood. I would be very interested in reading about their past or any future adventures. Torlic, Drex and Bilgren were also interesting. I saw great potential in Torlic and Bilgren. Drex was interesting but not as much as the other two. The fight scene alone with Torlic was worth the price of the book. Bilgren seemed very imposing but I just thought that there might have been a little more to him. I'm not sure why but when reading about him I constantly thought of a David Gemmell character from Winter Warriors. Maybe that's why I was hoping he didn't have to die. I think a short story or novel based on the Raven Claw Band would be very interesting as well. See, I knew I couldn't just pick one part.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2007 :  00:16:27  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by koz

I don't know if I can narrow it down to just one favorite scene, character or part.

Wow – no joke. Lots of thoughts!

I copied them into another word processor so I could address them. Bear with me.

quote:
Originally posted by koz

I really had to pay attention because even the smallest details had major ramifications later.

I love, love, love that technique. Sometimes one tiny reference at the beginning that explains EVERYTHING but you’re not looking for it, so you don’t see it until the very end.

quote:
I loved the fight scenes. They were very well choreographed and handled very well. I thought the way you had Walker approach and handle each different fight really helped develop his character.

Thank you, very much.

I grew up reading fantasy novels for the swordfights (that one guy . . . with the scimitars . . . and the kitty), and I got into fiction writing describing combats.

I’m also glad that you didn’t see the combat as just *combat,* but that it was there for a purpose. I think one’s tactics can show a lot about a person.

quote:
The moody atmosphere and weather really set a creepy and dark backdrop for the story as well.

All-right! Yep, that was my intention. The weather’s an incredibly important character in the novel.

Now Depths, on the other hand . . . well. You’ll see.

quote:
I really liked the way that Walker used his Ghostwalker abilities to make dramatic entrances and exits.

Those would be examples of me imagining what *I* would do if I could walk through walls or turn ethereal. Ever just wanted to draw all the attention in the room? That’ll do it.

quote:
As I said before the whole novel had a very cinematic feel to me.

This novel was heavily cinema-inspired (Desperado for the story, Crow for the tone, Matrix for combat – the concept behind his “painful reckoning” is that it brings Walker’s entire focus in so keen on his objective that it allows him to strike with that kind of speed and move with that kind of grace), and my writing style is purposefully visual. I like to see things happening, then write them down in a way that allows readers to do the same.

quote:
A lot of times I find myself figuring out the plot of a novel too soon and it kind of ruins it for me. That did not happen this time though. There were just enough twists and turns to keep me guessing. I did figure a couple of things out but not enough to spoil the novel.

Means I did my job – throwing out enough hints while withholding enough information. And even if you get a hunch – like the connection between a couple characters – I try to keep you guessing, looking for a real answer.

quote:
Sometimes I find myself "having" to keep reading a book just so I can say I finished it but not this time. In fact I had to force myself to slow down so I wouldn't miss anything and so I could enjoy the conversation of my fellow Realms fans in the book club.

No higher praise!

quote:
The ending for some might have been a bit of a sore spot but I think I took it differently than most. Yes I could see the tragic scene unfolding only one way and it was bittersweet but it fit the story very nicely.

You know, you’d think people might give me a bad time about the ending, but I’ve yet to hear a complaint (aside from one person who didn’t like the poem , which doesn’t count.)

I initially wrote a happy ending, but cut it in favor of the raw, tragic one I’ve got there. Just because that was the ending I needed – the one the story demanded.

quote:
The way I look at it though is whenever you have a climatic showdown and one or both of the combatants "dies" without leaving a body there is always a chance they will pop up somewhere in the future with another outstanding story to tell. Here's hoping you get a chance to tell that story.

I will echo that hope. I have more stories to tell about one or both or all.

quote:
The only thing I would have like was a little more backstory on Derst and Bars. They really lightened up the mood. I would be very interested in reading about their past or any future adventures.

There was originally more about them, but I had to cut it for length reasons. My draft came in at 115k, when it was supposed to be about 90k. So I cut 15k myself and let my editor take out 5-6k herself.

Excised some really good scenes, too. Maybe they’ll appear in another form, someday.

quote:
Torlic, Drex and Bilgren were also interesting. I saw great potential in Torlic and Bilgren.

‘Sfunny – from some of the original promo stuff (from the excerpt in the back of RotD2), some people though Torlic was the main character – or perhaps the main villain.

(Not to mention how much fun it was writing an . . . ambiguous sort of fellow. )

quote:
Drex was interesting but not as much as the other two.

Well, he wasn’t around very long – only the first chapter.

quote:
The fight scene alone with Torlic was worth the price of the book.

Woo! Glad you enjoyed!

quote:
Bilgren seemed very imposing but I just thought that there might have been a little more to him. I'm not sure why but when reading about him I constantly thought of a David Gemmell character from Winter Warriors. Maybe that's why I was hoping he didn't have to die.

Ah, I hadn’t made that connection.

(Honestly, I haven’t read Winter Warriors.)

quote:
I think a short story or novel based on the Raven Claw Band would be very interesting as well.

Hmm – that *would* be really neat.

Who knows?

I’ve included Talthaliel’s vengeful wife in an adventure I ran once – maybe I’ll do more backstory on others!

quote:
See, I knew I couldn't just pick one part.

No need!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

koz
Seeker

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2007 :  10:17:47  Show Profile  Visit koz's Homepage Send koz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wanted to thank you for responding to my thoughts so fast. It is truley great to see how all of the Realms authors here participate with and interact with their fans. Also, from reading on this scroll about your musical soundtracks, themes and playlists I decided to start a scroll about that very topic. I have had the pleasure of several authors already and have really enjoyed picking their brains and conversing with them. Without your writing style and inital thoughts this never would have happened though. Thank you very much for helping introduce me to your fellow authors and to other's like myself who look forward to enjoying each Realms novel. Still eagerly anticipating Depths of Madness.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2007 :  15:34:06  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're very welcome, good sir!

quote:
Originally posted by koz

It is truley great to see how all of the Realms authors here participate with and interact with their fans.

Speaking for myself, I love it! That's what writing is all about, I think.

quote:
Also, from reading on this scroll about your musical soundtracks, themes and playlists I decided to start a scroll about that very topic. I have had the pleasure of several authors already and have really enjoyed picking their brains and conversing with them.

Great topic. Well done!

quote:
Still eagerly anticipating Depths of Madness.

I hope it does not disappoint.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2007 :  21:48:07  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Received author copies of Depths today. This calls for . . .

A contest! A contest!

http://eriksdb.livejournal.com/91212.html

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2007 :  00:15:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik, I'm assuming those of us from far distant lands can also enter your contest?

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2007 :  01:32:54  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed you can!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2007 :  01:49:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Consider it done.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2007 :  02:17:55  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Received author copies of Depths today. This calls for . . .

A contest! A contest!

http://eriksdb.livejournal.com/91212.html

Cheers

Thank you for the opportunity!! I will surely make an attempt. An author's copy of Depths would without a doubt be the Crown Jewel of my collection!! Not to mention the fact that you revealed in on the 9th....my birthday....coincidence....I think Not ;)

Keep up the strong work and we will keep counting the days til Depths arrives!

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2007 :  03:22:36  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ohhhhhhh Boy, what a scene!!!

I just read the sample chapter for Depths!!!(http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/frnovel/959727400)

Erik....you are a hell of a tease. I loved it.

Two lines stand out:

1) Now they were four: a sword, an axe, a caster, and a liar.

Hmmmm......I wonder who the liar is!! What a well turned phrase!!

2) They heard a devil’s bemused chuckle.

ooohhhhhhhhhhh.......I got chills down my Spine!!!

Nice job of letting us use our imaginations here to add that darkness we like so well in your work.

P.S. I cannot wait for This Book!

P.S.S. I told my wife if I win a copy in your contest, I am going to seranade her with a rousing rendition of " I've got a Golden Ticket!"

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 53 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000