Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Erik Scott de Bie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 53

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  01:18:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

[quote]Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

SHADOWBANE releases tomorrow!

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Shadowbane-Forgotten-Realms-Novel-ebook/dp/B004ZZKRLS/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t
Okay, so apparently there's a delay in making this available in Australia. I'm thinking I have to wait until the US hits the 27th?
No idea, but that seems reasonable. Or perhaps it's a specific *time* today when you can download it?
When I tried yesterday, which was the 27th for me here in Australia, I just kept receiving an error message claiming that the product was not yet available.

I've tried again this morning, on the 28th, and I'm now told that it can be purchased. Unfortunately, I'm at work now, so it will have to wait until I get home.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  01:58:03  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kindle or Nook, Sage?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  02:17:15  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well my copy showed up all by itself on my kindle app on iPad. Funny thing is I pre-ordered it many moons ago as a paperback. When it was switched to eBook only ...I kinda forgot I had done so. Looks like Amazon switched it to the e version I guess. Weird. I'm enjoying the first few chapters (whew ....fate hasn't let up on Kalen has it?)I have had time for today , so it's not like I'm angry(was going to order sooner or later, (I was still havin the e- pricing vs. paper debate with myself and wasn't quite ready to) but I may still email them to find out how I ended up purchasing it, before purchasing it

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  02:36:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Kindle or Nook, Sage?

Cheers

I'd say Kindle is probably the most appropriate option for me at the moment.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  02:37:34  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is weird, RW.

Though in the meantime, nothing one can do but enjoy.

Do let me know what you think as you go along.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  05:05:42  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That is weird, RW.

Though in the meantime, nothing one can do but enjoy.

Do let me know what you think as you go along.

Cheers

Well, I'm diggin the vibe your view of Luskan is putting out
Who would have thought you'd go dark , but it's not really like anything you've done so far......and I don't want to spoil anything , but I am definitely feeling some Halo influence with what happens to the ....hmmm....infected bodies? (The scene with Kalen and the dead Dustclaw, reminded me of the first time playing Halo I encountered the flood, with those big puffy thing that would pop and spill out the little baddies.....I was wishing Kalen had a shotgun!)
Feels like it will be interesting to see how his return to his old city will affect him, ad well as to what from his past may return.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  06:03:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's try to remember SPOILERS, eh?

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  06:33:29  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very interesting, RW, how that resonates. I have never actually played more than 20-30 min of Halo, and don't know the first thing about its creatures. I have seen the Thing, the Mummy, and 28 Days Later, though.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  14:52:40  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Let's try to remember SPOILERS, eh?

I did have a bit of a warning, and tried to be very vague...feel free to modify and hide anything.

Sage, to bad there is not a place to discuss a book like this in it's own scroll

Edited by - The Red Walker on 28 Sep 2011 17:26:40
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  14:53:28  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Very interesting, RW, how that resonates. I have never actually played more than 20-30 min of Halo, and don't know the first thing about its creatures. I have seen the Thing, the Mummy, and 28 Days Later, though.

Cheers

Ah The Mummy! Loved those Scarab Beetles!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2011 :  01:39:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Sage, to bad there is not a place to discuss a book like this in it's own scroll

As soon as I've my copy, I'll open the necessary scrolls for the Book Club edition of Shadowbane.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2011 :  02:38:25  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

As soon as I've my copy, I'll open the necessary scrolls for the Book Club edition of Shadowbane.

Erik may have a feel for which chapters would group nicely for discussion.

Erik, how about your soundtrack for the bonus stories?

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2011 :  21:14:56  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chosen of the Sword..just finished it..........

it was Awwwwwwwsome!!

Revealed alot about Kalen and F.

Also explains why he goes int oLuskan with the attitude he has.

Great Work Erik!

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2011 :  21:30:08  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Soundtrack: My typical bands for Shadowbane are Stone Sour, A Perfect Circle, and Rise Against. Of particular note are:

"Help is on the Way," by Rise Against (theme song for [i]Shadowbane[i])

"Say You'll Haunt me," by Stone Sour (not sure why, it just fits)

"Passive," by A Perfect Circle (fight song for Rath vs. Kalen)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2011 :  18:17:46  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The follow up your working on for Shadowbane.....how's that going?

Also curious as to what's up with Shadow of the Winter King, as I loved Oathbreaker....I cant wait to read more of the World of Ruin!

Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2011 :  02:27:43  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

@Soundtrack: My typical bands for Shadowbane are Stone Sour, A Perfect Circle, and Rise Against. Of particular note are:

"Help is on the Way," by Rise Against (theme song for [i]Shadowbane[i])

"Say You'll Haunt me," by Stone Sour (not sure why, it just fits)

"Passive," by A Perfect Circle (fight song for Rath vs. Kalen)

Cheers

Just wanted to say that your music taste is excellent. :D

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2011 :  06:03:13  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The follow up your working on for Shadowbane.....how's that going?
Waiting for edits on draft 1 now.

quote:
Also curious as to what's up with Shadow of the Winter King, as I loved Oathbreaker....I cant wait to read more of the World of Ruin!
Still looking for a publisher. The houses are a little shy, what with the economy.

For the moment, you just might be getting more WoR elsewhere, however.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2011 :  06:14:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I've got Shadowbane set for reading on the plane to Brazil.

I'm set for my lengthy period of air-travel later tonight.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2011 :  06:16:19  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Erik Scott de Bie

Still looking for a publisher ... what with the economy.
The economy's great! Things have never cost less, y'know.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2011 :  15:46:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Okay, I've got Shadowbane set for reading on the plane to Brazil.

I'm set for my lengthy period of air-travel later tonight.

Or tomorrow, unfortunately...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2011 :  15:56:27  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik ....I finished Shadowbane a few days ago.....loved it.....in many ways it's your deepest.....most layered....best work so far.

I planned on discuss it a bit as I read it.....but since I read it in bursts while in the tractor this harvest( which is where I will be for the next month at least) that will have to wait.

But to sum up....I love Kalen and Myrin' s growth and realism. Their story is not finished, and it is a compelling one indeed!

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2011 :  17:23:22  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm so glad, RW!

And I think Sage was planning on creating discussion threads here at the Keep . . . ?

I've noticed the Book Club hasn't seen a lot of activity for a little while, and it'd be cool to give it a swift kick in the butt.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2011 :  02:47:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And I think Sage was planning on creating discussion threads here at the Keep . . . ?
I'll try and work them up some time today.
quote:
I've noticed the Book Club hasn't seen a lot of activity for a little while, and it'd be cool to give it a swift kick in the butt.
Agreed.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2011 :  17:22:25  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As time goes and my memories slip, waiting for book club scrolls that will be too late for my thoughts , I just wanted to share a bit here.

Spoilers Possible!

I really loved this book. Like 98% was as good or better than previous Erik Scott de Bie FR novels. ( only thing I didn't love was the zombie like symptoms of the plague....seems like the whole fiction world is going to the zombies!..... But you owned it , and made it work....just hope it doesn't pop up much more)

Charcaters we knew: all grew and gained much depth and complexity, more layers if you will. I want to know more about them. That means your doing a damn fine job.

New people, places and things: it's very deft what you do with these. You reveal many facets of someone( but not all!) with relatively few words. Same thing with places. And all have just the right amount fo grit...and edge.

An evil halfling? Awesome! Could only have been better is he were a bard also, but wait one of those....with dubious intent features prominently. both interesting and complex. Not too mention the demon / genasi dark lady.....I would much rather her pop back up than the short one

I have a hard time with names...so you work recently is a real exercise for me. Could you clarify a bit for me who is who and who they were, if even in a
Pm. Not anything unfolded yet mind you....just clarity on what you've shared

Myrin....Marelyn...there was another name as well

Fayne...I'm just totally lost!

Lastly....I need me some WORLD OF RUIN! . Anything to share yet?

Edited by - The Red Walker on 25 Oct 2011 17:33:47
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2011 :  17:49:55  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad you enjoyed, RW. Some info as requested:

quote:
Spoilers Possible!

YOU'VE BEEN WARNED, PEOPLE!

quote:
only thing I didn't love was the zombie like symptoms of the plague....seems like the whole fiction world is going to the zombies!..... But you owned it , and made it work....just hope it doesn't pop up much more
Oh don't worry. The plague was contained to this book. EYE OF JUSTICE heads to Westgate, which is devoid of a demon plague but has its own dark secrets and terrors to conceal.

quote:
An evil halfling? Awesome! Could only have been better is he were a bard also, but wait one of those....with dubious intent features prominently. both interesting and complex.
He *is* actually a bard, or was that too subtle? Mechanically, he's a prescient bard (see Arcane Power). But maybe more like a rogue that dabbles in bard. See below.

quote:
Not too mention the demon / genasi dark lady.....I would much rather her pop back up than the short one
You never know. Her axe is definitely still around.

quote:
I have a hard time with names...so you work recently is a real exercise for me. Could you clarify a bit for me who is who and who they were?
I've created a LOT of characters, obviously, but here are the ones I consider most significant. I'll put down some mechanical notes for reference.

As next year will mark the FOURTH long fiction from me to feature this story, I'll also note what novels they appear in: Downshadow (DS), "Chosen of the Sword" (CotS), Shadowbane (SB), Eye of Justice (EoJ). I won't mark all the characters who appear in EoJ, as that would spoil it, wouldn't it? There will also be several brand new characters in EYE OF JUSTICE, and I wouldn't want to spoil the surprise.

The Good:

Kalen "Shadowbane" Dren, the hero, Chosen of Helm: male human ex-rogue/ex-paladin/pursuit avenger (Helm/Threefold God[1]) (DS, SB, CotS, EoJ)

Myrin Darkdance, the heroine, amnesiac wizard: female human wizard (spellscarred harbinger theme, see NWCS) (There was a mention of a different name as well...) (DS, SB, CotS cameo?[2], EoJ)

Rhetegast "Rhett" Hawkwinter, Waterdeep Guard and noble scion: male human paladin (Torm/Threefold God[1]) (SB)

Vaelis, Kalen's former apprentice: male human ex-rogue/paladin (Tyr/Threefold God[1]) (CotS)

Araezra "Rayse" Hondyl, Valabrar in the Waterdeep Guard: female human fighter (DS, SB cameo)

Cellica, Kalen's adopted sister: female halfling ardent (DS)

The Bad:

Arrath "Rath" Vir, deadly murderer: male dwarf monk/assassin (DS)

"King Toy" Toytere, Gang Lord of the Dead Rats of Luskan: male halfling artful dodger rogue/prescient bard (SB)

Eden of the Clearlight, Gang Lord of the Coinspinners of Luskan: female human cleric (Tymora/Beshaba) (SB)

Kirenkirsalai, vicious manipulator, wants Myrin: male half-elf vampire (DS cameo, CotS, EoJ)

The Undeclared:

Sithe, Dead Rats enforcer: female voidsoul genasi avenger (Shar) with a big, jagged axe (SB)

Lilten, mysterious traveler and schemer: male sun elf bard/cleric (Beshaba) (SB, EoJ)

Fayne, the Trickster of Waterdeep: female fey'ri warlock (DS, CotS)

Lady Ilira "Fox-at-Twilight" Nathalan, former adventurer: female moon elf rogue/assassin (DS cameo, EoJ)

Notes:
[1] When classing a Threefold God worshipper, I'm also going to identify the character's *main* deity of choice.
[2] It's ambiguous whether that's actually Myrin in that scene, or someone else--someone more powerful . . .

quote:
Lastly....I need me some WORLD OF RUIN! . Anything to share yet?
Patience, my friend. Your world will end soon.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 25 Oct 2011 18:07:35
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2011 :  18:22:32  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, just what I was looking for. And what's better in a story than some double bard action?

Looking forward to the ruin of my world

And is EOJ where the evisceration I'm most interested in appears?

And I have a couple of scrolls in the novels....curious about your thoughts , especially on the Realms Short Fiction, I'd buy that for a dollar scroll.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2011 :  20:38:00  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Apparently, clicking "agree with these tags" on Amazon makes a book more likely to show up on searches and gets more exposure on the site. More people read said books. (Also post reviews! That makes a big difference.)

Here are a couple links, just in case you needed them for some reason:

Downshadow (and don't forget the ebook version!):
http://www.amazon.com/Downshadow-Ed-Greenwood-Presents-Waterdeep/dp/0786951281/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1319571129&sr=1-2

Shadowbane:
http://www.amazon.com/Shadowbane-Forgotten-Realms-Novel-ebook/dp/B004ZZKRLS/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1319571339&sr=1-1

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2011 :  02:38:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I really need to read Shadowbane on the plane trip home.

Lilten definitely sounds like a character I'll come to find very interesting in the reading.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2011 :  15:02:44  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh, I really need to read Shadowbane on the plane trip home.

Lilten definitely sounds like a character I'll come to find very interesting in the reading.

You'll enjoy him for sure. Especially nice to see he will pop up in EoJ.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2011 :  16:14:00  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik,

Is it too early to assume EoJ will be ePub like Shadowbane?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 53 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000