Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Erik Scott de Bie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 53

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2011 :  00:21:52  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

btw Erik, have any FR plans after shadowbane??
I am currently writing the *next* FR novel, which builds on the events of Shadowbane. (No spoilers about who survives and who doesn't!)

Keep track of my writing progress by following me on twitter (@erikscottdebie) or find me on facebook, upon which I have both an author page and a personal page (both Erik Scott de Bie).

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2011 :  01:36:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Shadowbane announcement:

The cover art for my next FR novel is up, as is a product description and some notes from me about where the novel falls in the cosmology of FR, as well as some of my influences going into it.

Shadowbane at Amazon

(And maybe preorder it while you're there? I mean, it's just so gosh-darn convenient. )

Cheers

quote:
Originally posted on Erik's Amazon link

"My inspiration for Shadowbane came primarily from Scorsese's film Gangs of New York and Greg Rucka's Batman series No Man's Land, with touches of Sin City, 28 Days Later, and my enduring love of samurai movies."
I never tire of hearing this.

Plus, it's got Luskan too. Woot!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2011 :  16:55:58  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So i finally finished Downshadow. And i thoroughly enjoyed it. I must admit i got a certain Greenwood'esque feeling when reading about Waterdeep again. Especially the revels, gossip and that truly hilarious scene with the ladies Roaringhorn and Wildfire. Not to mention that particularly...amorous and funny moment involving a closet, a totally misplaced and goofy paladin and three wonderful women. All the wonderful tidbits of lore you managed to cram into that novel thrilled me completely

What hints (if any) can you give us about Shadowbane? Luskan will be amazing to read about again, can't wait!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2011 :  18:12:48  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elfinblade

So i finally finished Downshadow. And i thoroughly enjoyed it. I must admit i got a certain Greenwood'esque feeling when reading about Waterdeep again. Especially the revels, gossip and that truly hilarious scene with the ladies Roaringhorn and Wildfire.
Thanks for the kind words, and I'm sincerely glad you enjoyed the book. It was definitely my intention to evoke that Greenwood-esque vibe, whilst still making the story my own. I certainly had a great time writing it.

quote:
Not to mention that particularly...amorous and funny moment involving a closet, a totally misplaced and goofy paladin and three wonderful women. All the wonderful tidbits of lore you managed to cram into that novel thrilled me completely
That particular scene is Ed's personal favorite.

quote:
What hints (if any) can you give us about Shadowbane? Luskan will be amazing to read about again, can't wait!
Well, there's the info on the Amazon page (see slightly above in the posts for a link).

The novel wears three hats, basically. On the one hand, it is of course a sequel to Downshadow, continuing the story of a couple of the characters there (one in particular, obviously!). On another, it's an Abyssal Plague novel, connecting to that over-arching event, so reading it in the context of the other books in that series will enrich the experience. And lastly, it's sort of a stand-alone--i.e., I sincerely think you don't have to have read anything else to understand and enjoy it.

There are of course easter eggs waiting for those deeply familiar with the Realms. Shadowbane also makes a clear transition into my next FR book, which I'm writing now (31,000 words into it). Set in Westgate.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2011 :  18:34:01  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah nice! About time Westgate got more love. The last Westgate-based novel i read must have been Masquerades. A long time ago

Would that be the 2012 release being hinted at earlier?
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2011 :  19:26:40  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is indeed the hint. I don't have a firm release date, but I think it'll be 2012.

Also another teaser about Shadowbane: This book, more than anything else I've written so far, allowed me to indulge my philosophy side a little bit. Not in a way that drives the plot or is distracting, but it was fun.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  01:38:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Also another teaser about Shadowbane: This book, more than anything else I've written so far, allowed me to indulge my philosophy side a little bit. Not in a way that drives the plot or is distracting, but it was fun.
I'm intrigued by this, Erik. Are you talking about real-world philosophical concepts here, or re-interpreting them for the Realms?

Either way, my interest is piqued. Philosophy is a passion of mine.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  15:49:45  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh you'll see, Sage. You'll see.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  16:00:46  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool to see you along with Brain Cortijo, Ed and Rosemary, involved in this project :

http://www.gabrielle-edits.com/2011/04/09/toc-when-the-hero-comes-home/

Can't wait to get this into my hands.

Oathbreaker.....very intriguing!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  16:06:12  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This should be an *awesome* anthology. Joint-edited by Gabrielle Harbowy and Ed Greenwood, and such an awesome subject? Sold!!!

Also, I'm very happy to have the last spot. I'm pleased with how the story turned out, and it definitely leaves the anthology on a particular note.

Fun fact: this story actually ties into my forthcoming non-WotC novel. More on that later.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  16:11:21  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This should be an *awesome* anthology. Joint-edited by Gabrielle Harbowy and Ed Greenwood, and such an awesome subject? Sold!!!

Also, I'm very happy to have the last spot. I'm pleased with how the story turned out, and it definitely leaves the anthology on a particular note.

Fun fact: this story actually ties into my forthcoming non-WotC novel. More on that later.

Cheers

I did note that your story was "the anchor"....many a times I will readr the last first in an anthology, expecting it to be the strongest work.

I heard a little mouse whispering somewhere that you may have some tie in..... very cool to hear it from you. Is this novel the formerly named Whisper? (or did I mis-remember that project's name?)

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  16:23:35  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

I did note that your story was "the anchor"....many a times I will read the last first in an anthology, expecting it to be the strongest work.
I don't know, Todd McCaffrey, Shannon Page & Jay Lake, Jim Hines are on that list, not to mention Ed, Brian, and Rosemary. I am seriously wowed by the sheer mass of talent here.

quote:
I heard a little mouse whispering somewhere that you may have some tie in..... very cool to hear it from you. Is this novel the formerly named Whisper? (or did I mis-remember that project's name?)
It does indeed tie into a novel I have written and am in the process of publishing, which is not exactly the novel formerly known as Whisper, but is thematically connected.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  16:29:01  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
I did note that your story was "the anchor"....many a times I will read the last first in an anthology, expecting it to be the strongest work.
I don't know, Todd McCaffrey, Shannon Page & Jay Lake, Jim Hines are on that list, not to mention Ed, Brian, and Rosemary. I am seriously wowed by the sheer mass of talent here.

Well too bad for then that I have such high expectations for you, that I would be in no way surprised if your story ends up being the strongest. If you had started out weaker....you wouldnt have to bear such things

quote:

quote:
It does indeed tie into a novel I have written and am in the process of publishing, which is not exactly the novel formerly known as Whisper, but is thematically connected.

Cheers

Cool....is Shadow in the title? And is Dragon Moon Press the publisher?

Edited by - The Red Walker on 13 Apr 2011 16:33:03
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  20:56:28  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey ERik, have you seen the 4e shadow dancer??

If you have does it resemble the Shadowdancer of old??

(yeah I want to know if it would even be worth to stop and look at the book becuase of it and the living vampire race... and most the shadow dancer and its all your fault Fox at Twilight)

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  21:03:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Unlike sage, I am more intrigued by THIS then anything else... how is that possible?

Of course, my interest lies within a sphere best left undisturbed, but still, I can't wait to see how you pull this one off.

BTW, I am going away to Kentucky for a week (going to be cementing my plans for Gencon - going with a great group), and while looking through all of my paperbacks trying to find something to read on the trip, I realized I haven't re-read Ghostwalker, which now gets the (dubious) honor of traveling with me to Kentucky.

Of course, if I happen to leave it where others in the Scify/fantasy/RPG club can see it, and ask about it, so much the better.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  21:54:22  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

Hey ERik, have you seen the 4e shadow dancer??

If you have does it resemble the Shadowdancer of old??

(yeah I want to know if it would even be worth to stop and look at the book becuase of it and the living vampire race... and most the shadow dancer and its all your fault Fox at Twilight)

I have not yet seen Heroes of Shadow, but I will check it out as soon as I get the opportunity.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  22:54:47  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The shadow dancer is a paragon path that focuses on teleportation (powers that teleport, additional effects when teleporting, etc). It can go invisible and finally has a power to leave behind a damaging shadowy zone when shifting.
It doesn't get a shadow companion (iirc the 3rd ed version did).

Gomez
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  23:09:37  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh, RW, now that would be telling! I'll leave off on an actual announcement for the nonce.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  23:23:31  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gomez

The shadow dancer is a paragon path that focuses on teleportation (powers that teleport, additional effects when teleporting, etc). It can go invisible and finally has a power to leave behind a damaging shadowy zone when shifting.
From that description, it seems to fit pretty well the cooler/core thematic principles of the 3.5 shadowdancer. I couldn't say more without seeing the actual mechanics.

Is it a PP for rogues, assassins, anybody?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2011 :  01:37:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:

Unlike sage, I am more intrigued by THIS then anything else... how is that possible?
Oh, I found that interesting too. But my love of philosophy and Erik's mention of it, tickled my senses more.

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2011 :  03:02:14  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by gomez

From that description, it seems to fit pretty well the cooler/core thematic principles of the 3.5 shadowdancer. I couldn't say more without seeing the actual mechanics.

Cheers

when the PP for the heroes of shadow book was on the wizard page, it said any teleportation powers

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2011 :  04:13:19  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Heh, RW, now that would be telling! I'll leave off on an actual announcement for the nonce.

Cheers

Glad I didn't drop the rest of it then!

Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2011 :  09:20:52  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Requirements: any teleportation at will or encounter power, trained in Stealth

Gomez

Edited by - gomez on 14 Apr 2011 09:22:51
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2011 :  16:20:55  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finally did get a copy of Heroes of Shadow (kudos to the designers! Looking forward to playing a blackguard quite a bit!), and yeah, the Shadowdancer seems like a pretty awesome paragon path for Lady Ilira.

My current 4e build for her (which changes from time to time as new books come out) is a hybrid rogue/assassin (shadow dancer).

No shadow companion from the paragon path, but one can easily build a shadow companion character, so no worries there.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 25 Apr 2011 16:23:53
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2011 :  20:23:41  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
so what do you think of hte dark watcher paragon path??

I think it screams 4e of the old shadowbane prestige classes of 3.x.

and who ever wrote the 4e description of the shadowdancer, needs 50 lashes with a wet noodle for absolutely NO creativity in it.

3.x shadowdancer had a great description.

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2011 :  21:17:39  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some of you may have noticed that my next novel Shadowbane is not appearing as available in mass-market paperback on Amazon, though the Kindle version is still available.

Rest easy. The novel has not been cancelled or postponed or anything dire. It will still be available for your reading pleasure, particularly those who enjoyed my novel Downshadow and would like to see the next chapter in those characters' stories. And anyone who loves some of the dead gods . . . like Helm, for instance.

I will have more to say in the near future. Please stay tuned, and have no fear!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2011 :  03:39:07  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
it is now the near future and everything is supersonic electronic...

thaks for the tidbit erik

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2011 :  19:55:26  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Cheers

Announcement time yet?

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2011 :  20:16:50  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

As for topics of discussion... well, I've always been curious about what type of other worlds/settings FR authors would like to write for? Even if it's just something they'd like to imagine.
So, I've decided to pose this question to you Erik.

Excellent question, Sage!

Aside from settings of my own making (one of the novels I wrote this last year basically takes place in Seattle, Autumn 2008, for instance, and another is an apocalyptic steam-punk/airships/final fantasy sort of setting, and another is of course my version of San Francisco plus superheroes), I think I might be comfortable writing in a number of other big, popular settings (some of them shared world, some of them not).

So here’s my list of “dream” settings (please don’t laugh at me), in no particular order:

4) Middle-Earth: Peter S. Beagle once wrote, “The impulse is being called reactionary now, but lovers of Middle-earth want to go there. I would myself, like a shot.” I could built some great stories there, in and around the epic events of LotR, or just off on my own.

Cheers

I think I would like to see you tell the story of the Entwives.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2011 :  17:57:35  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just stopping in to say the Countdown to Neverwinter is now less than a tenday.

My latest design work--the Neverwinter Campaign Guide--is releasing at GenCon this year, and I'm totally stoked.

If you're coming to GenCon this year, do find me at the convention to get your NCG signed!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 53 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000