Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Erik Scott de Bie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 53

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2010 :  15:50:36  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You and me both, brother.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2010 :  19:32:45  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wanted to share this link to my blog, as it's a fun entry and relevant to my latest novel, Downshadow:

http://eriksdb.livejournal.com/267920.html

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2010 :  02:11:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

I wanted to share this link to my blog, as it's a fun entry and relevant to my latest novel, Downshadow:

http://eriksdb.livejournal.com/267920.html

Cheers

Interesting.

Oh, and I want to thank you, Erik, for some of your rather lovely tidbits and character aspects that'll help me to flesh out what was, until just this very moment, a particularly unworkable scene for this weekend's campaign session.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2010 :  03:12:43  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooh, now I want details! PM me?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2010 :  04:02:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ooh, now I want details! PM me?

Cheers

Sure thing! Let me get my notes together during my lunch break.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2010 :  04:16:12  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You aussies and your wacky time zones!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2010 :  05:28:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Cheers

If it helps, my hefty work schedule means I'll usually have my lunch break at around three o'clock in the afternoon.

Edited by - The Sage on 24 Sep 2010 05:32:20
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2010 :  05:35:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Cheers

If it helps, my hefty work schedule means I'll usually have my lunch break at around three o'clock in the afternoon.

And if he does get back to you, it'll be around June or so!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2010 :  07:06:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Cheers

And if he does get back to you, it'll be around June or so!

I'm nothing, if not consistent.

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2010 :  00:41:16  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The neverwinter sourcewbook, will it be paperback like the essentials or is this too nda???

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2010 :  15:39:29  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

The neverwinter sourcewbook, will it be paperback like the essentials or is this too nda???
As far as I know, it's a hardcover book and NOT associated with the Essentials line. It should be as compatible with baseline 4e and Essentials as those two are with each other.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2010 :  21:39:46  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ahhh hardback, good. thankye

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2010 :  21:08:26  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can you give me some advice on how to bring readers closer to my characters??

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2010 :  04:08:44  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as writing goes?

Making them empathetic--that is, they go through the sorts of things that real people go through in real life. They have happy moments and sad moments, relief and frustration, love and bitter hatred.

Make them suffer adversity, but rise above it to succeed.

Also don't make them whiny.

That'll about do it.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2010 :  22:27:22  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Evil eyeis given to you ERik

care to comment on this??

http://www.borders.com/online/store/TitleDetail?sku=0786958480

or is it hogwash.

maybe the Netherese Dead Archmage won't stop an answer

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2010 :  23:24:33  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

care to comment on this??
http://www.borders.com/online/store/TitleDetail?sku=0786958480
That is indeed legit. Good to see that we have a date (May 17). It was announced at GenCon, and I'm glad to see it show up on Borders. More details when it gets listed on the Products page at www.wizards.com

I want to clarify that this is *not* a novel, nor is it FR. It supports the core 4e D&D game, along the lines of Plane Below, Plane Above, etc.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  03:59:19  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got the idea that it was a splat.

so is there one on the feywild in the works??

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  05:58:02  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Your guess = good as mine.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  06:21:05  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Cheers

that bad huh?

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2010 :  15:33:14  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

that bad huh?
Possibly your guess < mine, but I still don't know if there's a Feywild book in the works. It would be cool if there is, and I would love to participate in such a book (Erevan would thank me), but I haven't seen any indications one way or the other.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2010 :  07:11:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From Krash's scroll:-
quote:

So ERik, I got a neverwinter book question for you.

how much would it cost me to get a signed copy off you???

what, did someone think I wask going to ask a question about content of it, thats nda. those wotc guys might even through a fit if somoene leaked how many times the word "and" appeared in it... hahahahaha

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2010 :  18:33:39  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SFD, I would be happy to sign your book, if we come to a suitable arrangement.

I *think* (fingers crossed) the book will be available at Gencon 2011, so if you can make it there, that would be easiest for both of us.

If not, I'm sure we can figure something out by snailmail.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2010 :  19:07:27  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Erik,

As you probably remember from a recent scroll, I haven't yet read anything published under your name. After studying (most of) this lengthy scroll I still haven't seen these questions asked of you:

Outside of D&D fiction, do you have any favourite books, authors, genres, even movies which you feel have some marked influence on your writing? I'm curious about what sorts of books you read, moreso the books you actually enjoy reading when you have the time. Which books would you recommend to your friends, for example, and why?

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 01 Dec 2010 19:29:57
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2010 :  21:05:01  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Arik!

First off, kudos to you for going through this lengthy scroll. That's some serious legwork (er, eyework).

Secondly, to answer: I like a LOT of stuff, but I'll just hit you with the top of the top. I derive inspiration from literally thousands of things, some rather eclectic, but I'll try and stick to the old faithfuls here.

(I am tolerably well read in certain areas, so if I leave out any major classics, I hope you'll forgive me. We're just listing those things I feel most passionate about.)

I usually cite Neil Gaiman as my favorite author, as a writer of both narrative novels and comics*. He has a gift for dialogue, description, and imagination that I find extremely enviable. (I'm of the opinion that he does his best work with short stories--his collections are just amazing.)

[size=1](*Re: Comics: I don't call them "graphic novels" unless I know the person I'm talking to is snooty about it. To me, they're one and the same. I hope to write my own comic books one day--well, let's rephrase, I hope to *publish* my own comic books someday. I've already written quite a bit.)[/size]

I also like George R.R. Martin for his ability to evoke an atmosphere and tone, Jacqueline Carey for her amazing characterization, and Richelle Mead for her elegant and gripping plotting. Joss Whedon also bears special mention, for all of the above. Also the late David Gemmell, just for someone who could write a great fantasy story.

Outside my own work, my favorite FR writer (for basically all of the above reasons) is Paul S. Kemp. Not that he's only a FR writer (I hope they're throwing lots of money at him these days for all those Star Wars novels), but I wanted to pull down an example from the setting. This guy can tell a story, and he does so unflinchingly.

It's kinda hard to play favorites in the setting (and not terribly professional of me either), so I'll leave it at "I enjoy a lot of FR novels, both classic and modern, and love to recommend them to people." For instance, you should read Rosemary Jones's City of the Dead and Jaleigh Johnson's Unbroken Chain, just to name two.

Other books I have particularly enjoyed include Glen Duncan's I, Lucifer, Pat Rothfuss's Name of the Wind, Scott Lynch's Lies of Locke Lamora, Marion Zimmer Bradley's Mists of Avalon, Arturo Perez-Reverte's The Fencing Master, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. I often recommend these to people.

Currently, I'm looking into Charlaine Harris's work. I do like the show so much, I figured I should read the books. I also plan to get around to Jim Butcher one of these days.

More authors I enjoy (some higher brow than others): Kurt Vonnegut, Margaret Atwood, J.R.R. Tolkien (duh), Stephen King. Also Shakespeare (seriously--not just saying that). Also John Webster, from the period slightly thereafter--the Quentin Tarantino of the Jacobean era.

Speaking again of comic books, I particularly enjoy Alan Moore (Watchmen, V for Vendetta, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen), Brian Michael Bendis Powers, Daredevil, Ultimate Spider-man, and basically everything else marvel can get him to do), and again, Joss. Recently a growing fan of Greg Rucka, Ed Brubaker, Craig Kyle, Christopher Yost, and J.M. Straczynski.

Lord of the Rings, of course, bears special note, though I suspect I enjoy the movies more than the books (ye gasp!) for entertainment purposes.

On the subject of movies: Dr. Strangelove, Fight Club, Gladiator, Lord of the Rings, The Matrix, Snatch, Serenity. Those are my favorites and my go-to movies for inspiration.

Whew! I'm sure I missed a lot, but that should give you a sense.

Cheers

P.S. Thank the gods, I didn't even get to the anime/manga discussion.

Or to video games. (Play Devil May Cry--seriously!)

D'oh, one slipped through.

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2010 :  22:21:55  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your "unprofessional" reply, Erik.

It seems we have some generous overlap in both our choices of books and authors, and of the reasoning behind those choices. Of course I've never read (nor even heard of) some of your names, but there's good number I do recognize. Of course there's also a handful about which I doubt we can agree. PSK is a bit of a strange indecision for me: I haven't quite determined if I like his books for his writing skills or for their decidedly cool "manly" content, I'll check into his Star Wars stuff (a genre I've never read into, btw) to see if I can narrow my decision parameters. I'll admit it's hard for me to not denigrate comics since the last ones I recall reading, many years ago, were Groo and Thrud, along with infrequent injections of Dilbert and The Far Side.

I did briefly comment on some fantasy writers near the bottom of this scroll, though little was said about the topic. I'm currently reading through the "Avery Cates" sci-fi series by Jeff Somers.

You'll have to wait until after xmas for my thoughts on Ghostwalker. I only buy paperbooks, reading eBooks for hours at a time is a bloody strain, not at all recreational for me.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 01 Dec 2010 22:27:43
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2010 :  22:46:39  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

PSK is a bit of a strange indecision for me: I haven't quite determined if I like his books for his writing skills or for their decidedly cool "manly" content, I'll check into his Star Wars stuff (a genre I've never read into, btw) to see if I can narrow my decision parameters.
This is a valid point you raise here. I myself would very much like to see him use the feminine more often/effectively in his writing. Cale could really have used a more solid female presence.

I haven't read his SW stuff, so I can't comment there.

quote:
I'll admit it's hard for me to not denigrate comics since the last ones I recall reading, many years ago, were Groo and Thrud, along with infrequent injections of Dilbert and The Far Side.
Oh, you just haven't read the right comics then. (Not that Dilbert and Far Side are off--they're just not what I'm talking about here.

Check out Powers--you'll be glad you did. I believe you can get the first five story arcs online for free here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powers_(comics)#Daily_strip

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2011 :  16:21:01  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Announcement:

I doubt this comes as a surprise to anyone, but I will be at GenCon Indy 2011, having purchased my ridiculously expensive housing yesterday and my badge the day before.

Stay tuned for games I'm running or events in which I'll be participating, though it's approximately 110% likely that I will be at the FR seminar this year.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2011 :  17:28:42  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gaiman, Bendis, Whedon, Brubaker, and JMS?! Oooh, I LOVE your tatse! I'm a bit on the fence with Moore, but I think it's more a matter of subject than writing style or quality with him. League was certainly enjoyable, but Vendetta and Watchmen made me a little uncomfortable.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2011 :  17:43:41  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

I'm a bit on the fence with Moore, but I think it's more a matter of subject than writing style or quality with him. League was certainly enjoyable, but Vendetta and Watchmen made me a little uncomfortable.
I think that was probably intentional--scratch that, DEFINITELY intentional. Alan Moore writes to provoke a strong reaction, and he generally gets it. Exceedingly dark, extremely bleak, and quite brilliant, I think.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2011 :  18:31:20  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I suspected as much myself. That sort of writing is not really to my taste, however. I see enough dark, bleak stuff IRL every day. do not need it in my comics. Which is probably one of the reasons that Marvel's Dark Reign left such a sour taste for me. Who was the IDIOT that thought putting Senor Psychopath Osborn in charge?! That was just ASKING for trouble....

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 53 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000