Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Erik Scott de Bie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 53

Erethar
Acolyte

Germany
20 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2009 :  10:48:40  Show Profile  Visit Erethar's Homepage Send Erethar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, she could be lying, but in Depths he visits her at the end, and if i recall correctly, no father should show such behavior ;)
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2009 :  18:40:05  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She also appears rather bewildered to see him . . . much as though they have never actually met.

But then, it *is* a dream sequence . . . who knows?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2009 :  18:57:32  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

She also appears rather bewildered to see him . . . much as though they have never actually met.

But then, it *is* a dream sequence . . . who knows?

Cheers

well I'd imagine you'd know......

hmmmm fox at twilight.... could you see her dating Kalen?

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2009 :  15:19:39  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

hmmmm fox at twilight.... could you see her dating Kalen?

Well, anything is possible. [wink wink]

Burning living things at a touch kind of puts a damper on romance, though . . . then again, he doesn't feel pain, so how would that work?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Kastaph
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2009 :  03:00:19  Show Profile Send Kastaph a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, Erik.

I just wanted to drop by and compliment you on the fine works you have done for Forgotten Realms. I own Realms of the Elves, and your contribution was fantastic. I also managed to procure the Depths of Madness and Downshadow.

Before anything else, I must say that your work on Downshadow was outstanding. Without a doubt, one of the best I've read of late.

"Depths" was also very good, though, like another on this forum, I have similar issues with Twilight. She is a very well thought out character, don't get me wrong (I mean, if she wasn't, how could we like her or not?) Though I think my issue stems from the end of the Realms of the Elves, leaving poor ole' Yldar (Whom I adore. He reminds me a lot of one of my own characters, Urlyn, another Sun Elf Duskblade)

That aside, I love your work, and look forward to future projects.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2009 :  04:56:29  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Kastaph! I'm glad you enjoyed.

Yeah, Twilight's kind of a bitch--or at least that's what she wants people to think. I made her that way purposefully to reveal a vulnerability about her character: emotions are sort of her weakness. Anyone gets too close to her, and she's got to push him/her away. At least in RoE, the pain was brief--in Depths, on the other hand, it was extremely hazardous.

That was then, however. How did her incarnation as Lady Nathalan strike you?

(Also note the resemblance in surname?)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Kastaph
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2009 :  05:36:43  Show Profile Send Kastaph a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, I had my suspicions it was her all along, so, come time for revelation, I could just nod and smile -- especially at the appearance, however grim, of my aforementioned object of adoration.

In Downshadow, I enjoyed her parts. I thought the Spellscar was a fantastic twist, perfect(depending on who you ask... I'm sure she doesn't believe it's all that wonderful) for the kind of person she is. It really gave an already conflicted character another obstacle.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2009 :  06:26:23  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad you were pleased. I hope to develop her story further: unveil why she goes by that name, how she got scarred, and (you might be pleased at this one) what happened to Yldar(!).

I'm not sure if you're concerned that Yldar was killed in the dream/memory sequence encounter, but I'll reassure you on that point: he was not. In fact, he might still be alive today . . .

Did you check out the 3.5 stuff Tom Costa and I cooked up for the CK realmslore archives? As a particular fan of Yldar, you might enjoy his writeup the most. Check the bottom few files on this page: http://www.candlekeep.com/library/lore.htm#rumours (Yldar/Cythara's file is labeled the Greater Treasure).

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Kastaph
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2009 :  06:36:26  Show Profile Send Kastaph a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh really? Interesting indeed. I will look forward to hear more about him.

Ah, yes. I saw his character sheet a bit back (When I was lurking some time ago). It is what introduced me to the Bladesong Duskblade. Sadly, my Duskblade was already in play, it would have been fitting.

That does give me a question though, with the introduction of 4th ed, I read you write up your characters, do you now use that ruleset?
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2009 :  06:41:05  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am indeed sufficiently up on 4e that I would be confident writing up my characters. I highly suspect that I will do so at some point, though what form that writeup takes, we'll have to see.

I will certainly let y'all know!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Kastaph
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2009 :  06:44:45  Show Profile Send Kastaph a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have done much reading on it, and made several characters using the ruleset, which I would love to *try*, however, I play with a group that consist of 1. People who hate the idea of anything out of 3.5 2. People to lazy to learn a new system 3. People who still don't know enough about 3.5 that they think it will only confuse them further.

Sigh.

But yes, I would be excited to see such write ups, definitely.
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2009 :  18:56:56  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Erik!
I'm on a quest to increase the number of FR novels brazilian fans. So, I'm getting some messages from many FR authors who would like to have some brazilians readers.

At the moment, the only person that sent me, was Richard Lee Byers. Kemp and Cunningham didn't know what to say, I'm expecting that Greenwood, when he has some extra time, he would send me something too, RAS is almost untalkable at the moment...

So Erik, could you send us a message? 90% of the readers only knows Ed and RAS, it would be awesome for them to getting knowing you.

Another thing that is interesting, Icewind Dale is the only translated trilogy to portuguese, but I believe that 50% of the Role-Players can read in english... They don't do it, probably 'cause the reading of novels are not so common here in Brazil, compared to developed world countries.

At the time that I receive more than five author's messages, I would compile them and send to many communitys and foruns around here.

Thanks!

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2009 :  19:13:10  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sure, Ed, though I'm not sure what to say either. Are you looking for a summary of what I write? Or why people should be interested in reading my work? Or what?

Maybe you could give me an example?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2009 :  19:19:51  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also wanted to pop in and announce that the ever-so-excellent Rosemary Jones and I are going to be doing a joint signing of our recent Waterdeep books (Downshadow and City of the Dead) at the U-bookstore in Seattle in the evening on July 8.

If anyone happens to be in the area . . . come on by for some signatures, funny stories, and witty banter. Possibly, there will be toasting at a nearby tavern or two.

More details here: http://eriksdb.livejournal.com/197938.html

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2009 :  19:37:32  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Erik. Thanks for the fast answer.

You could present yourself and your books, say why should people be interested on reading your work or any other FR author's book... I think the best way for them start reading your books, is explaining them that there is an extremely huge world to be discovered. And many new-comers authors that may answer their questions as a "normal guy" here at candlekeep (CK marketing too ). It's up to you. Probably, you can say better than I, what should you say to make someone start reading FR novels.

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2009 :  20:15:53  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about this?

Why someone should start reading Realms novels (and my novels in particular):

The Forgotten Realms is a vast, exciting, fantastic world, full of thrilling adventure, deadly monsters, and gleaming treasure. Within these pages, you will find tales of ancient enmities boiling to new war, harrowing searches for lost empires of great wealth, and epic loves lost and gained, all in a world so fully realized and articulated that it could pass for real.

And one should read *my* books because they contain exactly that:

Ghostwalker is a timeless tale of vengeance vs. justice, given fresh strength by a blossoming love that lasts beyond death. A warrior thought long dead rises from the grave to exact retribution from the so-called "heroes" who wronged him--and taste the life and love he has been missing all this time.

Depths of Madness is a psychological thrill ride where nothing is as it seems, and love might not prove enough to defeat the darkness. The sly elf rogue Fox-at-Twilight finds herself thrust into command of a treacherous band of adventurers--will her wits prove equal to the challenge?

Downshadow is a harrowing tale of secret identity and the thankless pursuit of justice by any means necessary--a quest so intense it can doom the hero to becoming the villain. The vigilante Shadowbane will go to any length to do what is right, but does that mean sacrificing his own soul?

And that's just three of literally *hundreds* of awesome stories the Realms has to offer. Start on any of these three (or dozens more like them), and you get a stand-alone story that you don't have to know anything about the Realms to enjoy. On the other hand, if you're a longtime reader, you will pick up all sorts of lore true to the setting that will make the experience one to remember. And if you like them, there's always more to read about the Realms!

Plus, as an added bonus, the Realms authors are famously open about their work and can be contacted online (www.candlekeep.com) for insights, ideas, and secrets hidden between the lines of their books. The Realms community of readers, writers, and designers is unmatched.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2009 :  20:41:45  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Erik! I was expecting a "Hello Brazilian readers!" or something like that at the beggining.. But you wrote more than I expected!
Your message is already on my .txt file, be sure that in some days it will be at some famous foruns around this country..

Thanks again.

--- Ed Appel

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2009 :  20:48:40  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say "Well met, Brazilian lords and ladies!"

Or the appropriate translation into Portuguese.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2009 :  17:16:18  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just popping in to remind everybody of my joint signing with Rosemary tomorrow!

Wednesday • July 8 • 7pm
Erik Scott de Bie and Rosemary Jones
Downshadow and City of the Dead (WIZARDS OF THE COAST)
University District store
4326 University Way NE
Seattle, WA 98105

On July 8, we host two authors who have written books hand-picked by role-playing legend Ed Greenwood for lovers of his Forgotten Realms fantasy setting. Erik Scott de Bie and Rosemary Jones have crafted their own epic tales from Greenwood's long-beloved landscape of magic and monsters.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2009 :  17:30:41  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got the go-ahead from my editor to announce that . . .

Realms of the Dead, a Forgotten Realms anthology, due out January 2010.

. . . will feature a story from my pen.

Unless the title is changed between now and then, it's called: "A Love Story in Parts," and is, for all intents and purposes, a romantic comedy.

With the walking dead.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2009 :  18:44:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Unless the title is changed between now and then, it's called: "A Love Story in Parts," and is, for all intents and purposes, a romantic comedy.

With the walking dead.

Cheers

Was it inspired by Shaun of the Dead?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2009 :  19:46:01  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

With the walking dead.

Cheers

Sounds fantastic, Erik! This anthology will mark my own Realms fiction debut and I'm looking forward to my "Feast of the Moon" sharing a ToC with your story!

Cheers, indeed!

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2009 :  22:39:04  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Uh...Love Story in Parts like: "So you only had a drink with your other skeleton friends at the crypt around the corner? And then whose fingerboneprints are these on your pelvis, where did you leave your lower jaw and why do you smell of cheap zombie?"

-

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2009 :  23:10:29  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dearly hope this is not an homage to Boxing Helena...
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2009 :  00:53:21  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Was it inspired by Shaun of the Dead?

Unfortunately, my editor made me take out the cricket bat.

(I love that movie.)

Actually, there are no zombies in my story. I'll keep the sort of undead I chose to feature a secret for the time being. (Any guesses?)

The full title of the story ("The Body in the Bag: A Love Story in Parts") was partly inspired by the Bones (TV show) episode naming convention, and partly by something Garen Thal said once at a Spin a Yarn.

quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

Uh...Love Story in Parts like: "So you only had a drink with your other skeleton friends at the crypt around the corner? And then whose fingerboneprints are these on your pelvis, where did you leave your lower jaw and why do you smell of cheap zombie?"

Heh heh! I've already done the questionably necrophiliac thing with Ghostwalker (is he alive? is he dead? is Arya really kinky that way?). Statistically, it is 99.5% likely that you will be pleased to know that the "love story" bit is between two very living people (at least at the outset).

quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

I dearly hope this is not an homage to Boxing Helena...

Eerily enough . . .

No, no just kidding. Even *I* wouldn't go there.

quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

Sounds fantastic, Erik! This anthology will mark my own Realms fiction debut and I'm looking forward to my "Feast of the Moon" sharing a ToC with your story!
Cheers, indeed!

Very much looking forward to your piece, Christopher. And together, we shall rain down glorious literary brilliance upon the people! (Or at least kick a lot of zombie butt.)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2009 :  01:12:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

With the walking dead.
Interesting choice of title, Erik. Especially when you're taking about the walking dead. The walking dead are notorious for losing body parts after all... and I'd assume they do still LOVE those parts.

Anyways, I'm hoping I'll have read Downshadow before then.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2009 :  01:13:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

Ah, at last! Something else to look forward to.

I'm definitely intrigued. With all the brief tidbits released so far about Realms of the Dead, it's shaping up to be a particularly worthwhile anthology.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2009 :  08:53:04  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm very much looking forward to Erik's story. No spoilers from me, but from what I've heard, it will be most enjoyable..in a creepy way.

I also have story in there, set (of course) in Waterdeep's City of the Dead.

:) Rosemary

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2009 :  16:13:17  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met Eric.
I am in the market for some new FR books and I wanted to know what book of yours is a good starting point.
I am into either series or stand alone so that isn't an issue. I just want a well told engaging story about the realms. I have read many other FR works and wanted to try another author. After looking at the summery of some of your books it looks as if you have a unique and fun style of writing. So where to begin????

"Go ahead...Sleep in the church...the vampires can't get ya in the church" Any DM...any time.

"He's like a trained ape...without the training"
Simon after Jane trashed the Med lab
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2009 :  16:29:49  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I haven't written a series (yet), so yeah, you're looking at stand-alones.

I suggest you start with Ghostwalker and go from there. To date, it's one of my best-captured stories (that is, I told it pretty much exactly the way I wanted to). It's raw and uncompromising.

All my books are a little different from one another: GW is a fantasy western revenge story (think Desperado meets the Crow meets High Plains Drifter), while Depths of Madness is a fantasy horror dungeon crawl (Saw meets the Thing), while Downshadow is a rollicking quest for justice that is sort of superhero in theme (I've heard Batman and Daredevil--the comics, not necessarily the movies--called down as inspirations, and I won't deny it!).

But if you want to see where it all began--and read what I think is a pretty solid story--check out Ghostwalker.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 53 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000