Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Erik Scott de Bie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 53

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2009 :  10:51:11  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
so I have a question on your next book....

are we there yet???

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2009 :  13:25:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would be Downshadow, which releases in April.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2009 :  20:58:27  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey de Bie? Im looking for a tale of Vigilante justice,....maybe set in ,I don't know.......

lets just say Waterdeep.

Got any suggestions?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2009 :  18:46:21  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Hey de Bie? Im looking for a tale of Vigilante justice,....maybe set in ,I don't know.......

lets just say Waterdeep.

Got any suggestions?

Hmm . . . I'll think about it and get back to you in April.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 23 Feb 2009 18:46:50
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2009 :  21:48:26  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:

lets just say Waterdeep.

Got any suggestions?

Hmm . . . I'll think about it and get back to you in April.

Cheers

Hmm.......when I click that link, it says I have already ordered this item. Must have caught my eye for some reason when I was ordering Ed's Arch Wizard
April has never seemed so far!

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2009 :  22:33:11  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is indeed a while from now.

And speaking of April, I plan to attend Norwescon (Seattle-based scifi/fantasy convention, strong novel/literary focus, WotC-spotlight-publisher this year).

The convention starts a couple days after the book is supposed to come out, so I'll be all elated . . . you know, just a warning in case anyone happens across me.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2009 :  11:37:23  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Erik, going back to the conversation we had in the Ghostwalker book club....what exact story would you want to co-write with Salvatore? (although I'm sure that deep down inside, you would write just about anything with him)

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2009 :  17:23:57  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent question! Though it will get a rather vague and probably unsatisfactory answer.

Obviously, any story you write with another author is going to have thesis, antithesis, and synthesis--i.e., discussion and compromise for a cohesive piece that is true to both writers. So on the remote/unlikely occasion a writer like Bob and I collaborated, it would be the product of both our minds.

I *will* say that I envision a dance . . . but anymore than that, I leave to your imagination.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2009 :  17:53:31  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Excellent question! Though it will get a rather vague and probably unsatisfactory answer.

Obviously, any story you write with another author is going to have thesis, antithesis, and synthesis--i.e., discussion and compromise for a cohesive piece that is true to both writers. So on the remote/unlikely occasion a writer like Bob and I collaborated, it would be the product of both our minds.

I *will* say that I envision a dance . . . but anymore than that, I leave to your imagination.

Cheers

Hmmm, well a dance would definately be the type you and Bob describe in rich detail in your novels....are a couple of scimitars involved in this?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2009 :  17:57:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Cheers

So Twilight and Drizzt meet up in a shady tavern...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2009 :  18:00:02  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Cheers

There you've gone and done it Erik. You got Wooly's (of all people) imagination going. That's a dangerous thing

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2009 :  18:01:45  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Hmmm, well a dance would definately be the type you and Bob describe in rich detail in your novels....are a couple of scimitars involved in this?

Oh definitely. You know olde Foxy . . . she'll try anything once.

quote:

Oh the possibilities . . . most of which end up with Twilight turned into a pin cushion.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2009 :  19:11:36  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Oh definitely. You know olde Foxy . . . she'll try anything once.

quote:

Oh the possibilities . . . most of which end up with Twilight turned into a pin cushion.

Cheers

Unless she does a little shadowdance, comes up behind him and pincushions his back. D would never backstab a lady, but 'light would just laugh as she did it

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2009 :  19:22:29  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
quote:

Unless she does a little shadowdance, comes up behind him and pincushions his back. D would never backstab a lady, but 'light would just laugh as she did it

I was mostly talking about Cattie-brie, actually. Twilight wouldn't even know what hit her, what with the flawless ranged pwning.

But OMG, are we going into "Twilight vs. Drizzt" territory?

I feared this day would come, and have looked to it with both trepidation and excitement. And my verdict is . . . Well, it depends on who writes it, but I think Drizzt could totally beat Twilight in a fair, toe-to-toe fight.

(Which is why she wouldn't fight anything like fair. )

Shadowdancing is indeed an advantage, but it's not like Drizzt has never fought a highly mobile foe before. He's also not terribly susceptible to wit and charm, so Twilight might be out of luck there. She'd have to hit him really hard, really fast, then get the hells out of there before the twin scimitars of fury strike back. (And they will.)

So I don't know . . . what are your thoughts?

Cheers

P.S. This whole discussion reminds me of Elaine's take on Liriel vs. Drizzt, which is one of my favorite Realms mini-stories ever.

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 02 Mar 2009 19:30:36
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2009 :  19:46:33  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
quote:

I was mostly talking about Cattie-brie, actually. Twilight wouldn't even know what hit her, what with the flawless ranged pwning.

But OMG, are we going into "Twilight vs. Drizzt" territory?

I feared this day would come, and have looked to it with both trepidation and excitement. And my verdict is . . . Well, it depends on who writes it, but I think Drizzt could totally beat Twilight in a fair, toe-to-toe fight.

(Which is why she wouldn't fight anything like fair. )

Shadowdancing is indeed an advantage, but it's not like Drizzt has never fought a highly mobile foe before. He's also not terribly susceptible to wit and charm, so Twilight might be out of luck there. She'd have to hit him really hard, really fast, then get the hells out of there before the twin scimitars of fury strike back. (And they will.)

So I don't know . . . what are your thoughts?

Cheers

P.S. This whole discussion reminds me of Elaine's take on Liriel vs. Drizzt, which is one of my favorite Realms mini-stories ever.

She could do as Elaine suggested Liriel would, then while he was blushing and trying not to look at her "twins" , she could finish him off

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2009 :  19:55:15  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. Liriel's a highly skilled practitioner of what some of us call the Storm-Showlass technique.

quote:

She could do as Elaine suggested Liriel would, then while he was blushing and trying not to look at her "twins" , she could finish him off

Oh . . . you meant, like, stab him through the chest, right?

Right then.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 02 Mar 2009 19:57:52
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2009 :  23:30:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And, just because the discussion started originally in this scroll, thanks to my original question, I'll post a link to Erik's well-detailed coverage on the "Nightingale's Song" here.

[Just scroll down the page]

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2009 :  00:55:21  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Heh. Liriel's a highly skilled practitioner of what some of us call the Storm-Showlass technique.

quote:

Oh . . . you meant, like, stab him through the chest, right?

Right then.

Cheers

It's hard to walk the high road sometimes

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2009 :  15:34:53  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just stopping by to toot my own horn a bit ('cuz we all know I never do that):

http://eriksdb.livejournal.com/185074.html

And breezing through the novel to confirm what survived editing, I can now say with some confidence that most of the hitherto mentioned teasers and easter eggs are indeed there, and the various tributes I paid to earlier Realmslore abide.

From what I see, I am quite pleased with the finished product. The cover goes very well with my story, and I love the binding color (they say geniuses pick green).

Kudos to my editor Susan Morris and the WotC publishing team.

Thanks especially also to Ed and Elaine, Waterdeep's true masters.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 27 Mar 2009 15:43:53
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2009 :  23:23:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Toot away, Erik. Toot away! 'Tis certainly well deserved.

And to sit amongst such august company as Ed and Elaine... well, that's fantastic praise indeed.

The 7th April can't come soon enough.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2009 :  16:29:08  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't wait to read it, but unfortunately I will have to get throught the planting season before I pick it up.

And Erik....

We all know why you toot you own horn.....

because you can!

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2009 :  16:45:02  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Best of luck with planting! I hope you guys are getting better weather than we are here in the Northwest. (It seems like the winter will never actually end.)

Sage, if we're planning to Book Club Downshadow, should I work on a schema (i.e., which chapters for each thread)?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2009 :  16:54:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye, that would be good. Just send them to me via PM and I'll set up the appropriate Book Club scrolls just as soon as Downshadow releases.

Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2009 :  20:21:42  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, Erik.

Do you have any thoughts on the fate of the New Moon Pact in the post-Spellplague Realms? Related to this, do you have any thoughts on what the impact might be in Selūnite circles of the change in 4E of lycanthropy from a contractible disease-like affliction to a hereditary condition?

I ask because I am currently DMing FR 2E campaign in which one of the party members is a dwarf/wereraven cleric of Selūne. In the 2E campaign, I had been planning to have her encounter the NMP and possibly become a member, and pursuing a 2E adaptation of the New Moon Hunter prestige class path. But we are currently considering switching to a FR 4E campaign in which the player would like to still play the dwarven/wereraven Selūnite character. I“d still like to pursue the NMP connection.

Afet bint Tuzanķ

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham

Edited by - Afetbinttuzani on 21 Apr 2009 02:28:51
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2009 :  21:41:28  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Afet,

This seems like a better question for the other Eric (i.e., Eric Boyd), but I can give it a shot. (And take this with a grain of salt, because I'm hardly the expert on this order.)

In your position, I would definitely advance such an organization into the 4e Realms, if you like them. Sects wax and wane (like the moon) as time passes--who's to say that the NMP isn't on the rise once more?

Politically, I imagine they would either draw closer to Selune's priesthood in the wake of the Spellplague (when the gods needed all the servants they could get) or they may have distanced themselves in order to form their own group separate from Selune's priesthood but still paying homage to Selune. (Perhaps they even come into conflict with regular Selunites as of old?) I prefer this latter scenario--perhaps they have fallen out of favor with regular devotees of the moon goddess and operate in their own way, separate from them, so as to use whatever methods they deem appropriate (i.e. brutal or violent, whatever you think appropriate for lycanthropes of the NMP). I'd return them to their dark edge, but if you've read any of my writing, you probably know that I always lean dark. There's no reason they can't be a really important, or even CENTRAL part of Selune's faith in your Realms.

Pragmatically, the members of the 4e NMP are hereditary or cursed (see below) lycanthropes, just as they were before. You could have a player run a lycanthrope, but absent rules for wereravens, we're going to have to wing things a bit (pun not intended but accepted!). If you wanted to, you could devise powers (ala Spellscarred powers) to reflect the awesome skills and unique traits that lycanthropes have. I'm here thinking of the 3.5 wild feats that druids could take, wherein they could spend one of their uses of wild shape and assume a partial animal form/ability. Maybe while building this dwarf wereraven for 4e, you might consider multi-classing into druid and just spinning your powers' flavor as lycanthropic abilities?

Or you could bring in shifters as your baseline NMP members (Monster Manual contains rules on playing one as a PC), and maybe alter one a bit to be a wereraven shifter. Call it a swiftwing shifter, give it bonuses to wisdom and dexterity [making a natural ranger or druid and a competent cleric], and a racial flight encounter ability like a windsoul genasi? That's probably what I'd do--not for your dwarf, but for the basic wereraven rank and file.

And just because Lycanthropy is presented in a particular way in the existing 4e mechanics doesn't mean you can't still have it be a component of attacks from lycanthropic creatures. I don't think I'd make it a disease, but more a curse that doesn't have the same sorts of immediate effects (i.e., loss of healing surges, hit point damage, penalties, etc.) that afflicts characters who fail a saving throw upon being hit (or perhaps bloodied/hit while bloodied, if you want to make it more rare) by a lycanthrope. If you are infected, you don't know it until the next full moon, at which point you are officially a lycanthrope, having the powers presented to lycanthropes in the MM (tempered as far as game balance is concerned) or having whatever encounter/daily/utility powers you devise.

Also remember that Selune subsumed a good number of elven worshippers from Sehanine (and in my realms, the elves still refer to the deity as Sehanine, and it causes no confusion). When building NPCs from this NMP, consider an elf high priest/ess. Lycanthropic elves are pretty cool, I think.

And before I get to the point of suggesting you use a Selunite elf cat-girl, I'll stop.

(Too late!)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2009 :  00:47:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice thoughts Erik. I'm a fan of the New Moon Pact. So any speculative tidbits on them are alright with me.
quote:

Politically, I imagine they would either draw closer to Selune's priesthood in the wake of the Spellplague (when the gods needed all the servants they could get) or they may have distanced themselves in order to form their own group separate from Selune's priesthood but still paying homage to Selune. (Perhaps they even come into conflict with regular Selunites as of old?)
This is an interesting possibility. Given Shar's relative increase in power and influence among the 4e Realms, the NMP may have devised new methods of combat against her dark minions that wouldn't ordinarily have been sanctioned by Selūne or her clergy.

Interestingly enough, Malar's "Exarch" status and slight decrease in power may have also allowed the NMP to focus almost exclusively on Shar. Something the Selūnites may not be happy with.
quote:
And before I get to the point of suggesting you use a Selunite elf cat-girl, I'll stop.
Heh. It's at about this time that I'd usually suggest a "Nova Cat-Girl."

Edited by - The Sage on 31 Mar 2009 00:49:19
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2009 :  01:18:12  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I bow to y'all's wiser heads with these specifics, I don't think the various "promotions and demotions" among the gods are likely to have a lot of impact on the ground in terms of how worshipers, clergies, cults, and orders that straddle the lines between the divine and the martial (or primal, or arcane, or ki, or shadow, or what have you) relate to one another in strict real politic terms. Well, yes, in the case of the lost gods, for sure. But we've already seen that at least one very powerful priest of Baravar (it was Baravar, right?) is still living among Waterdeep's gnomes.

If there's one thing I've learned in more than twenty years of following the Realms, it's that the pecking order in the heavens is never settled. Or even knowable!

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2009 :  02:35:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good point Christopher.

However, we know from previous lore that the members of the NMP are specifically focused on the actions of Shar and her dark minions, as well as those ambitious plans of Malar and the Cult of the Black Blood and so forth.

So I'd imagine this would be one instance where that reasoning doesn't always hold true. In fact, because Shar's influence has only increased over the last century, the NMP could interpret this as a failure on their part -- since they were originally charged with watching and defending against her threatening power.

Thus, it is possible that these lycanthropic servants of the Moon Goddess could indeed be very concerned about Shar's greater influence in the post-Spellplague Realms. And, as such, adjust their operational doctrines against her accordingly.

Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2009 :  02:40:48  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik, thanks for your generous offering of great ideas, despite my stupidity in posting to your thread rather than Eric Boyd“s. I consider it pure serendipity to have been able to pick your brain as well :-)

Thanks to the rest of you too for your input.

Afet bint Tuzanķ

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2009 :  03:18:05  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Absolutely, Sage. As I said, with regard to the particulars in this particular, y'all certainly know than me!

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Good point Christopher.

However, we know from previous lore that the members of the NMP are specifically focused on the actions of Shar and her dark minions, as well as those ambitious plans of Malar and the Cult of the Black Blood and so forth.

So I'd imagine this would be one instance where that reasoning doesn't always hold true. In fact, because Shar's influence has only increased over the last century, the NMP could interpret this as a failure on their part -- since they were originally charged with watching and defending against her threatening power.

Thus, it is possible that these lycanthropic servants of the Moon Goddess could indeed be very concerned about Shar's greater influence in the post-Spellplague Realms. And, as such, adjust their operational doctrines against her accordingly.

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 53 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000