Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Bonny
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2006 :  00:32:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Mystra holds the time portfolio, though she does nothing with it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2006 :  01:21:53  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually wooly i think that she doesn't currently hold it, although i could be wrong. Mystral held it, mystra the first didn't have it and mystra II doesn't seem to have it, at least as far as Faith and Pantheons states.

"Develop the latent abilities within you for that is your power alone. Psionics is the ultimate art of magic and you are its practitioner. Through lifelong dedication, strive to unite your will with your physical form to become one. Only through the unrestrained union of one’s mind and body can the magic of psionics truly be mastered. Throw off the yoke of any who would impose tyranny upon you. Likewise, do not ever force another to submit to your will. Free your mind, free yourself and you have only just begun the path to true psionic mastery. Free others, open their minds to the Invisible Art, and you will show them way to Auppenser."
---Dogma of the Church of Auppenser
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2006 :  02:13:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VonRaventheDaring

Actually wooly i think that she doesn't currently hold it, although i could be wrong. Mystral held it, mystra the first didn't have it and mystra II doesn't seem to have it, at least as far as Faith and Pantheons states.

If Mystryl had it, then Mystra 1.0 had it. And if she had it, then Mystra 2.0 has it. But as I said, it's one she holds and does nothing with -- hence, it's not listed, because she gains no power from it.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2006 :  02:45:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

If Mystryl had it, then Mystra 1.0 had it. And if she had it, then Mystra 2.0 has it. But as I said, it's one she holds and does nothing with -- hence, it's not listed, because she gains no power from it.

That's how I see it.

Just because it isn't listed, doesn't mean Mystra 2.0 doesn't have access to it. Rather, its absence likely reflects the lack of emphasis the current Mystra has placed on the portfolio and thus, the fact that she, as Wooly said, gains no power from it.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2006 :  03:28:13  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I disagree, the original Mystra never had it according to 1e lore and neither does Midnight/Mystra according to all 1e/2e lore, and it has been unclaimed among the Faerun pantheon ever since Mystryl died.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 10 Mar 2006 03:34:41
Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2006 :  03:30:18  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay i understand your point and your reasoning, i have seen several people post on it as a dormant/lost or empty portfolio on the WoTC boards. I have to agree that i personally think it would work best for mystra. However it could be contested that when the latest mystra arose to godhood Ao didn't give her Time (maybe considering it to powerful or whatever) I mean he divides death and all between kelmore and Cyric. That point aside i have to say that actually two gods held the power and now if it is held no one actually actively uses it so another god could theoretically take it. Its like sleep/dreams and nightmares they are also unclaimed currently right? (just as a note it is a little scarry that the Moderators are in disagreement on this issue)

"Develop the latent abilities within you for that is your power alone. Psionics is the ultimate art of magic and you are its practitioner. Through lifelong dedication, strive to unite your will with your physical form to become one. Only through the unrestrained union of one’s mind and body can the magic of psionics truly be mastered. Throw off the yoke of any who would impose tyranny upon you. Likewise, do not ever force another to submit to your will. Free your mind, free yourself and you have only just begun the path to true psionic mastery. Free others, open their minds to the Invisible Art, and you will show them way to Auppenser."

Edited by - VonRaventheDaring on 10 Mar 2006 03:31:53
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2006 :  04:57:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm taking this to the recently started "Time Portfolio" scroll opened in the Sages of Realmslore section

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I disagree, the original Mystra never had it according to 1e lore and neither does Midnight/Mystra according to all 1e/2e lore, and it has been unclaimed among the Faerun pantheon ever since Mystryl died.

Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2006 :  12:35:16  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey ed i got a new question for you did the Jhaamdath empire create the blue goblins? I have been wondering this resently because the netherness created so many things that have impacted the world of the realms, but the Jhaamdath's seem to have left very little impact. I mean even if you just follow the suvivor states the Netherness have formed so many offshoots its not even funny really but what impact did the Jhaamdath have. THe blue goblins could and this is just a theory mind you, have been created to see if a violent and lesser specices could be elevated to a higher plane of enlightenment and all. Well i know its just a crazy theory but i would like to hear your feed back on it ed.

Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2006 :  11:27:09  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey ed do you think that the Janessar mentioned on page 156 of the FRCS book could be decenants of Followers of Auppenser? They are people who hold military outposts in the Marching Mountains and try to free slaves and better the common man. Just a thought.

Go to Top of Page

Berwick
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2006 :  02:12:28  Show Profile Send Berwick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, first post, and I hope it is not too complicated.

Ed, first off...YOU...ARE...THE...MAN!

Now, to my question.

I have been soaking up all this Jhaamdathi lore! And I must say that I love it, and it is canon in my Realms!

One of my various questions is this:
You mention a range on the Udoxias, but never say anything more on this. I understand that it is larger than both mythals, and mythallar (which I believe is 1 mile). I like the lore about the first udoxia(s?) being sort of like the master one, but how far would its sphere of influence extend?

I have actually cracked open my ELH and EPH tomes, and started looking at various seeds and what not to build the Create Udoxias power, but without this information, I seem a wee bit lost.

Do you have any insight on this matter, oh great and wise one?

Thanks,
Berwick

EDIT: Btw, VRtD, Auppenser is so now the owner of the dream portfolio!...at least in my Realms!

Edited by - Berwick on 26 Mar 2006 02:18:53
Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2006 :  12:13:14  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Berwick, i am glad to get the support and feed back dude!
by the way i feel the same way about ed that you do, he rocks! I mean he is going above and beyond the duty to do extra stuff for us fans of Jhaamdath! I for one appreciate it

Go to Top of Page

Berwick
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2006 :  17:11:38  Show Profile Send Berwick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The funny thing is, I am definately gonna have to get Complete Psionics now...just in case it is in there....haha

Also, VRtD, if you need any support on fleshing out anything let me know....I am not so great with the crunchy, but better with the fluff.

Thanks a bunch all of you,
Berwick

EDIT: This is continued in the following scroll: http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6473
so as not to hijack this scroll....though Ed please comment on anything that strikes your fancy.

EDIT: Thanks for the heads up The Sage, and apologies all around.

Edited by - Berwick on 28 Mar 2006 06:32:26
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2006 :  01:30:41  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that in terms of Epic magic/epic psionics you would replace Know (Arcana) with Know (Psionics) and Spell Craft with PsiCraft.

I would just use the Mythal seed from LEoF, as my base for design with the Mythal in this case being the Area covered by the Udoxia's power and Anchored to the Udoxia Stone or Crystal. Maybe give some kind of Mitigating factor to describe the cost of the Giant Crystal.

Then I would just put in the Psionic Powers I wanted just like they were (I'm zoning on the correct name) vanguard powers? Can't remember but there is a cost reduction if you only make them available to Casters/Manifesters of a certain background. But the cost should be the same for Psionic Powers of Level blah blah blah being equal with spells of level x. And just go from there.

The major costs are usually (at least if you decide to use the Mythal seed) taken up in making the area covered bigger and by putting in Prevalent Powers. Most of what Ed talked about in the Udoxias section of Candlekeep could be done without including any prevalent powers.

I believe you could also include special powers only useable by priests of Auppenser this way as well.

Or you could just try and use the Ward seed but I think this would get too expensive too quick.

Unlike the Udoxia write up this doesn't include any caveat for taking away a power of the same level.

Anways, if I get some extra time I'll take a look at the Udoxia description again and stat one out. The Epic magic rules are really pretty simple and elegant once you get the hang of them.
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2006 :  01:33:15  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you wanted to have something cover a big area and not have any prevalent powers you might want to double the base radius of the Mythal seed, call it a Udoxia seed and remove the ability for the Udoxia to have prevalent Powers, with it just arointing and Vanguarding some powers.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2006 :  02:05:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fellow scribes... perhaps you should open a new scroll for such discussions and leave this one just for questions asked to Ed Bonny .

Go to Top of Page

Swordsage
Learned Scribe

149 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2006 :  06:56:45  Show Profile  Visit Swordsage's Homepage Send Swordsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is meant with no disrespect to the creativity of Ed Bonny, but his concept of udoxias doesn't seem particularly original - they are effectively psionic mythallars. Which makes Jhaamdath a psionic Netheril. Netheril did and still does pose huge problems for the greater FR continuity re 'power overload'. It feels like the designer Slade went with the 'big is better' mantra with hardly a thought for game balance or how the modern-day Realms would be affected. This vision of Jhaamdath seems to be heading down the same road. If it ever hit official print the first thing the fans would be clamoring for is stats on a udoxia, talk about building or finding one, etc. etc. That may be fine for some, but for my taste it's another power overkill waiting to happen. Why can't we just have a Jhaamdath ruled by a psionic high-caste system - without the udoxias? Why do we need big crystals that help or assist psionics? Sure, it sounds like a cool idea but IMHO as I stated before isn't particularly original. I'll go back into hiding now.

The Swordsage
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2006 :  07:49:23  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh boy, I thought all of the complainers managed to fill their time up successfully over on the Wizards boards. This is why I cringe everytime someone reveals candlekeeps existence on those boards. Somebody this week revealed its existence on the ask the designers threads and whallah, what do you know, trolls.

Ed, sry to clutter you up here man, good luck.
Go to Top of Page

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2006 :  08:16:24  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it is more a matter of survival, adapt or die. Jhaamdath's contemporaries had epic magic allowing for permanent wide area enchantments (Elven high magic - Mythals, Netheril - Mythallars, Imaskari - Planar barriers and extradimensional spaces). Everyone had some form of this magical warding strategy.

Jhaamdath also fought wars with Calimshan, who were also heavy magic users, most likely massive elemental spells. Without some sort of pervasive magical field protecting their cities, it would have been a short lopsided war.

If it wanted to be a major player, which it was, then it too had to have such capabilities. It's a pretty standard fantasy convention, but Jhaamdath being psionic based is what makes it interesting from every run-of-the-mill ancient magical empire. Psionics in D&D and fantasy in general sort of needs an example of a high magic capability. In short such magics/psionics are like nuclear weapons between superpowers. Though keep this in mind, nation have nuclear weapons, it is obviously a problem when individuals have such weapons.
Go to Top of Page

edbonny
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2006 :  15:52:36  Show Profile  Visit edbonny's Homepage Send edbonny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey VRtD,

I apologize for not responding more quickly. The past few weeks have been a whirlwind lately - just turned 40 and took a celebratory trip to Vegas being the beginning of that whirlwind. Now to your questions...

Time is an iffy issue for the Realms (or most any setting really) as it inevitably brings along questions of time travel and the potential can of worms that offers. There was that 2e Netheril boxset (Age of Empires?) which had strict limitations on what spells could be used depending on how far one travelled back. And because of that, the Time portfolio can also be also a dicey proposition --- which is probably why it doesn't see much current use in the Realms. I'd prefer to let sleeping dogs lie on this one and not see any god actively take that portfolio. Perhaps Ao does not want anyone to have it?

As far as new portfolios/spheres for Auppenser, I would first use his yardstick for measuring such things -- are they balanced (i.e. nature, magic, psionic)? Or do they, in and of themselves, have imbalance built-in or contribute to imbalance (tyranny, alignment such as good or law, etc.). He tends toward cerebral areas that open one's mind to the possibility of balance (and in terms of spheres/portfolios this could be philosophy, reason, enlightenment). I don't think that he would immediately seek out new spheres (or create them) although he would investigate if anyone took his old ones.

As for Jhaamdathan portals, there is little evidence of widespread use of such. They had them to be sure, psionic portals, but they were probably created and used only by the wealthy and powerful. We've talked about the possibility of an outpost on the Astral Plane here. After that, planar interests would likely have been reigned in by the psiocracy as an undesirable direction to take the realm.

Since Jhaamdath's destruction was sudden and unexpected, I don't see the rise of any one group to plan for preserving its lore during the empire's existence. After all, it had endured for thousands of years, there was no reason to think of that ever ending. With the realm's fall, the rejection of Auppenser, and the widespread chaos that ensued, I don't think any one group could have come come together to preserve much of anything. I could see various isolated Jhaamdathans, perhaps a monastic servant or other devoteee, hiding lore and psionic items for a future generation to discover (sowing the seeds of Auppenser's return?).

Unique psionic items, eh? That sounds like a Dragon article in the making. I'll have to think on that one.

- Ed

quote:

I have another (yes i have almost limitless questions) question for you ed. What do you think about the portfolio of time belonging to noone now. I mean two gods used to claim it back in Netherness empire days, and now both are dead and no one claims time in their portfolio. Could Auppenser claim it? If not and i admit its a bit of a streach then what portfolios do you think he could/should claim or add to his portfolio other than dreams. I mean the demigod of wind added portals to his portfolio. Speaking of Portals do you think that any Jhaamdath portals to other planes or places are still intact anywhere? And what unique things did the Jhaamdath empire create. Are their any secret organizations that keep/gather the lost lore of the Jhaamdath and psionics. Other than illithids as they would have probabbly have grabbed as much as they could when Jhaamdath died.

Go to Top of Page

edbonny

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2006 :  15:55:47  Show Profile  Visit edbonny's Homepage Send edbonny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey ed do you think that the Janessar mentioned on page 156 of the FRCS book could be decenants of Followers of Auppenser? They are people who hold military outposts in the Marching Mountains and try to free slaves and better the common man. Just a thought.

Do we know if they appear anywhere else in FR lore? If not, they could have ties to Auppenser either as a surviving fragment of Auppenser's church or a group that perhaps learned of him relatively recently. Before going there, it should be seen where they first appeared in print.
Go to Top of Page

edbonny

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2006 :  16:23:53  Show Profile  Visit edbonny's Homepage Send edbonny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey ed i got a new question for you did the Jhaamdath empire create the blue goblins? I have been wondering this resently because the netherness created so many things that have impacted the world of the realms, but the Jhaamdath's seem to have left very little impact. I mean even if you just follow the suvivor states the Netherness have formed so many offshoots its not even funny really but what impact did the Jhaamdath have. THe blue goblins could and this is just a theory mind you, have been created to see if a violent and lesser specices could be elevated to a higher plane of enlightenment and all. Well i know its just a crazy theory but i would like to hear your feed back on it ed.

Its a neat theory but I think the blues either evolved on their own or came about as a result of some other influence (illithids perhaps who have a long tradition of experimenting on their thralls. The duergar would be a prime example of what servitude under illithids can bring about).

- Ed
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2006 :  16:25:00  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Janessar are a knightly order of the three Triadic gods who battle slavery in Calimshan from their outposts.

They're mentioned in Empires of the Shining Sea.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2006 :  21:12:42  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks ed for the answers as always you are astute and extremely helpful in your responses. As for taking a long time don't worry about it, i hope you had fun in vegas .
I had another question ed, but i will post it later as well as some stuff i've been working on that i would love your feed back on. if thats okay! :)
As to Swordsage i have to say i understand what your saying but think of this the mythallars, are just pale coppies of the elven mythrals and why they are game terms created prior, i think they were an after thought. Now you have to understand Archwizards point as well that Jhaamdath was a extremely long lived and powerful psionic society, they might have coppied stuff from the netherness, but if you don't like what ed made as too much of a rip off then make your own and post it i mean the best solution to a problem is never to just complain about it but offer options to it fixing. anyway i would love to see what you would come up with if you develop something and ed probabbly would to i mean he, seems pretty open minded and all.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2006 :  22:00:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As to Swordsage i have to say i understand what your saying but think of this the mythallars, are just pale coppies of the elven mythrals and why they are game terms created prior, i think they were an after thought.

Elven mythals and Netherese mythallars are not alike, so one can't be a copy of the other... One was a vast webwork of spells and effects designed to actively and passively benefit the inhabitants of the city. The other was just a giant battery, there for people to tap in to. Those two things are not at all alike.

Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2006 :  05:20:41  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay Wooly but it seemed to me they were both used kinda alike. Just an observation is all. :)

Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2006 :  05:30:58  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey ed okay here is my new question for you! Do you think the Jhaamdath's would have developed sometype of longevity psionic powers as per the Netherness and their life extension spells. If they did then what did they do with mystra's ban took effect, i mean the Netherness turned to lichdom. Would the Jhaamdath's have evolved a similar solution to the problem? if they did other than the Inncarnate i mean who wants to be incorporeal all the time. Is this a possiblity? I hope you like my idea. But if not or you have suggestions feel free to tell me i love the feed back! :)

Psyche Ghost

When the psionicist, of the powerful Jhaamdath Empire, looked for ways to extend their life spans, and of course the elusive goal of immortal, they began first by looking at what others had done. They observed the Netherese Arcanist’s methods of achieving longevity; they also worked on their own methods. The major schools of thought on the subject helped them evolve several ways to achieve their goals. The most dominate method prior to Mystra’s ban on the Weave was to extend one’s essence by a tenth level psionic power. After Mystra’s ban the psionicists of Jhaamdath developed the Incarnate Method and the Unbodied Method and both methods were used to try to become a pure psyche life form. The method that was between those two methods was an evolution into a undead form that helped extend the beings life, which allowed the psionicist to be involved in the Prime Material Plane but in a limited form. This form was a psionic version of a lich that was also ghost-like and it’s commonly known as a Psyche-Ghost.

The requirements for becoming a psyche-ghost are: The character has to be a ninth level manifester of psionics powers. They must also have the psicrystal and psicrystal {knowledge} feats, as well as be able to manifest Create Dimensional Space, and Phase Dimension powers.
When a psyche ghost is created they shed their physical form for an incorporeal form and they become ghost-like. They become immortal, but they are linked to their psicrystal, which bonds their psyche to their psicrystal, and it reduces their physical form to dust. Psyche ghosts can only physically manifest within a few feet of their crystals but they can manipulate their crystals as if it was their own bodies.
They can mentally manifest (a ghost like projection akin to astral/ethereal form though visible on the Material Plane) away from their psicrystals by several miles. They can also create new physical forms that they manipulate like puppets; these forms are akin to golems. They can astral/plane project with the psicrystal and it is their link to the Prime Material Plane. (They must create a physical form, or do a physical manifestation, to actually manipulate objects that require fine dexterity. They can use far hand or telekinetic powers to manipulate items however.)
They can regenerate a mental form in a matter of hours, while the physical manifestation takes a few hours to regenerate.

Immunities: They are immune to electrical attacks

Go to Top of Page

edbonny

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2006 :  15:31:22  Show Profile  Visit edbonny's Homepage Send edbonny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Berwick

Hmm, first post, and I hope it is not too complicated.
You mention a range on the Udoxias, but never say anything more on this. I understand that it is larger than both mythals, and mythallar (which I believe is 1 mile). I like the lore about the first udoxia(s?) being sort of like the master one, but how far would its sphere of influence extend?

I have actually cracked open my ELH and EPH tomes, and started looking at various seeds and what not to build the Create Udoxias power, but without this information, I seem a wee bit lost.

Do you have any insight on this matter, oh great and wise one?

Thanks,
Berwick

Hey Berwick,

Thanks for the kind words. Octa has got the essentials nailed down for the Udoxia. I'd say that their maximum coverage was a 5 mile radius in all directions. As the first six were aligned to the six psionic disciplines, they were considered to be the master ones. The lesser ones were lesser name only, being only a variant which was more focused in a subdiscipline.

- Ed
Go to Top of Page

edbonny

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2006 :  15:52:33  Show Profile  Visit edbonny's Homepage Send edbonny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Swordsage,

I understand where you are coming from but I'd like to explain my reasoning on this.

As far as the originality of the udoxias: Whether one lives in the real world or plays in a fantasy world, each world will have numerous cultures that interact with each other sharing their culture, technology and magic. I feel this is the same for the Realms where the Netherese mythallar was derived or perhaps inspired in some part by elven mythals. The udoxias are a continuation of that theme.

To make an example of the above, let's look at architecture in the western world. Certain building styles originating in ancient Greece, adopted and transformed by the Romans flourish throughout the world in our modern world in many ways. I don't think anyone who walks the Mall at Washington DC would say the capital city of the US is "unoriginal" because the Washington Monument is an Egyptian obelisk and the Congress building is of stark Greco-Roman origin.

I feel the same way about the udoxias. The Jhaamdathan build upon established notions of "city magic" in Faerun, taking the best that the elves showed the world - and making it their own. In one way, udoxias made for better "city magic" as they serve more along the lines of a personal resource and not a magical defense/power up.

As far as the powering up of the Jhaamdathan Empire with udoxias, this is not really the case. The udoxias are far less powerful than mythals or mythallar. They do not power psionic items for example. Nor do they grant powers free of charge. In keeping with the 3.x rules of DnD, a udoxias allow a character who has taken the requisite feat to contact the udoxias and, once having contacted it, allows the user access to a feat or power provided they swap a comparable one of their own out. Very different power structure than mythals and mythallars.

- Ed

quote:
Originally posted by Swordsage

This is meant with no disrespect to the creativity of Ed Bonny, but his concept of udoxias doesn't seem particularly original - they are effectively psionic mythallars. Which makes Jhaamdath a psionic Netheril. Netheril did and still does pose huge problems for the greater FR continuity re 'power overload'. It feels like the designer Slade went with the 'big is better' mantra with hardly a thought for game balance or how the modern-day Realms would be affected. This vision of Jhaamdath seems to be heading down the same road. If it ever hit official print the first thing the fans would be clamoring for is stats on a udoxia, talk about building or finding one, etc. etc. That may be fine for some, but for my taste it's another power overkill waiting to happen. Why can't we just have a Jhaamdath ruled by a psionic high-caste system - without the udoxias? Why do we need big crystals that help or assist psionics? Sure, it sounds like a cool idea but IMHO as I stated before isn't particularly original. I'll go back into hiding now.

The Swordsage

Go to Top of Page

Dracophile
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2006 :  19:29:04  Show Profile  Visit Dracophile's Homepage Send Dracophile a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kudos Ed, for your fine work on LEoF. A truly wonderful read.
A question for ya; A bit of digging shows that House Extaminos (sp?) was originally a Human line from Hlondeth (which we know rests over Lirremar). In your esteemed opinion, what are the odds that the original Humans of House Extaminos were descended from the original inhabitants of Lirremar or a surviving colony?
I realize it's a bit off your beaten path...but I was curious about your thoughts.
The ramifications of one of the notable Yuan-ti tribes being among the inheritors of the Jhaamdathan legacies (the human side of course) is very intriguing to me. Especially with regards to the potential return of Auppenser and the schisms among the many gods of the Yuan-ti

Edited by - Dracophile on 04 Apr 2006 19:32:04
Go to Top of Page

Berwick
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2006 :  02:04:24  Show Profile Send Berwick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not to perpetuate the "If you give a psion an udoxia..."syndrome, but...oh who am I kidding....

My question is this oh great sage Bonny, would the Udoxias have been used in such a fashion as to make the fields overlap? or would they have been far enough apart that their "field of influence" would not have met?

If left far enough apart, would they have developed any sort of hmmm....repeater device for lack of better term? something to extend the field?

Hmm, maybe someday I will be content with all that is out there....but I have just too many questions!

Thank you once again, and I am serious...

YOU...ROCK!

Berwick
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000