Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Eric L Boyd
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 48

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2007 :  14:48:45  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rolindin

Mr Boyd have just bought the Dungeon issue 148, I saw your article Savage Tide Wells of Darkness.

I have had a quick look at the article so far.
Just a commit for now the article looks good, are most of the ideals such as the well of Argolcheir your ideals?
and how did you come up with so much?

Most of the ideas are mine. Inspiration the product of a twisted imagination. ;-)

quote:
I'm sure once I read and reread the article I'll have some more question about certain things in the article.

Feel free!

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2007 :  14:49:24  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Woot! I may be going to Gen Con! Eric, what's your favorite beer!

Guinness is always a safe bet.

What's yours?

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2007 :  16:29:51  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
>>Guinness is always a safe bet.
>>What's yours?

Actually, rum and coke. Hopefully I'll be able to make it. It'd be nice to see folks again! Can you tell this put me in a good mood <g>

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Bane of the Harpers
Seeker

Canada
53 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2007 :  06:52:34  Show Profile Send Bane of the Harpers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Boyd, may I ask, and someone has probably already did, for you to give me more information on the FR conversion for the Age of Worms? More precisely, I'd love more informations on the part Jergal has to play in the Ebon Triad....

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2007 :  21:09:59  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bane of the Harpers

Mr. Boyd, may I ask, and someone has probably already did, for you to give me more information on the FR conversion for the Age of Worms? More precisely, I'd love more informations on the part Jergal has to play in the Ebon Triad....

Thanks

Well, ditto on that ... as usual!

I have a question which is vexing me at the moment. A week or two ago one of the Sages posted a link on Candlekeep to a page with a two-part pdf of "monsters," co-written with Tom Costa. I thought it was you, Eric, but I can't find it on your web site. I haven't been able to find the link, either. The second pdf didn't transfer properly and I would like to get it. Eric, was this one of your projects?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2007 :  23:06:55  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

I have a question which is vexing me at the moment. A week or two ago one of the Sages posted a link on Candlekeep to a page with a two-part pdf of "monsters," co-written with Tom Costa. I thought it was you, Eric, but I can't find it on your web site. I haven't been able to find the link, either. The second pdf didn't transfer properly and I would like to get it. Eric, was this one of your projects?

http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/monsters.html

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2007 :  02:05:04  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bane of the Harpers

Thanks

I haven't done much more than what appeared in the conversions. Look specifically at the conversion for AoW #6 (Spire of Long Shadows).

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Rolindin
Acolyte

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2007 :  21:16:31  Show Profile  Visit Rolindin's Homepage Send Rolindin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Having read the article Savage tide Wellls of Darkness:

First MR Boyd a question about Broken Reach or two.
The Red Shroud, is the only one allowed to sell poisons.
When say a character wishes to encourer about poisons. Would they ask one of the Red Shroud's guards, or would the merchant direct them to The Red Shroud who is watching.
What kind of reactons would the Red Shroud have towards someone asking for say Devils Bane or Demon's bane?

The races humans, elves, dwarfs, tieflings: to me an regular elf trading on on of the abbyass level such as this would either be evil in some way or a drow.
Humans I can underdstand, Red Wizards, Black Wizards, Necromancers and such.
Dwarfs, would they not most likely be Dungar dwarfs selling and trading?
A regular dwarf selling in this place would have to be inclined towards evil to be in this place and a seller or merchant.
What kinds of wares would they sell?
(I have somne ideals, but since the article dosen't really say: it might be good to get some kind of ideal of things they would sell.)

Theses are my first questions if you don't mind.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2007 :  17:05:24  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Having read the article Savage tide Wellls of Darkness:

First MR Boyd a question about Broken Reach or two.
The Red Shroud, is the only one allowed to sell poisons.
When say a character wishes to encourer about poisons. Would they ask one of the Red Shroud's guards, or would the merchant direct them to The Red Shroud who is watching.
What kind of reactons would the Red Shroud have towards someone asking for say Devils Bane or Demon's bane?

It should be well known that Red Shroud sells poisons. (If it's not in the Lore sidebar, I'd recommend a Knowledge (the Planes) DC 15 check. Red Shroud will sell anything, particularly any kind of poison. She could care less about Devil's Bane or Demon's Bane.

quote:
The races humans, elves, dwarfs, tieflings: to me an regular elf trading on on of the abbyass level such as this would either be evil in some way or a drow.
Humans I can underdstand, Red Wizards, Black Wizards, Necromancers and such.
Dwarfs, would they not most likely be Dungar dwarfs selling and trading?
A regular dwarf selling in this place would have to be inclined towards evil to be in this place and a seller or merchant.
What kinds of wares would they sell?
(I have somne ideals, but since the article dosen't really say: it might be good to get some kind of ideal of things they would sell.)

Theses are my first questions if you don't mind.

There are exceptions to every rule. You could find a small number of any race in the Abyss, particularly on the first level of the Abyss, including elves.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

McJoker
Acolyte

Germany
2 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2007 :  17:22:27  Show Profile  Visit McJoker's Homepage Send McJoker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to what you have to say in regards to the Shadoweir...or will they be handled in an upcoming book?

"Insanity, another form of professionalism!" -Myself
Go to Top of Page

Rolindin
Acolyte

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2007 :  10:26:12  Show Profile  Visit Rolindin's Homepage Send Rolindin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ericboyd
There are exceptions to every rule. You could find a small number of any race in the Abyss, particularly on the first level of the Abyss, including elves.

So in your opion then would the elfs, dwarfs, and other races form the material plane be more likey to be a studying kind of tradiers.
What I mean to say the elfs from FR sent traderiers to the lower plane, would the elfs be watchful. But not letting the Red Shroud people know. So as to size up a potionel enemy? Too study for any weakness if they did visite their plane and attack. Or would the elfs be truly their too trade?

Or maybe a combination of both?
If so the elfs would send different trade envoys to other lower planes also to study them.
Is my thinking right here, or are the elfs just their too trade.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2007 :  19:23:32  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

I have a question which is vexing me at the moment.

(snip)

Eric, was this one of your projects?

http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/monsters.html

Mercy buckets. That's the page. Now I just hope that this time the file downloaded properly. I really liked the first part and am anxious to see the rest.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2007 :  02:46:45  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Ericboyd

So in your opion then would the elfs, dwarfs, and other races form the material plane be more likey to be a studying kind of tradiers.
What I mean to say the elfs from FR sent traderiers to the lower plane, would the elfs be watchful. But not letting the Red Shroud people know. So as to size up a potionel enemy? Too study for any weakness if they did visite their plane and attack. Or would the elfs be truly their too trade?

Or maybe a combination of both?
If so the elfs would send different trade envoys to other lower planes also to study them.
Is my thinking right here, or are the elfs just their too trade.

Any or all of the scenarios you outline might be true. It depends on the individual (and the whim of the DM).

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2007 :  21:50:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To follow up on a question from Ed's thread:

quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

Ed,

There's some confusion about the Undermountain sourcebook. I've seen it both privately and publicly. So I'm asking: is the new sourcebook part of FR canon? A lot of people are confused if it is or is not since it doesn't have the FR logo and its a generic sourcebook.

Yes, afaik.

Grand History of the Realms will refer to the key event that most folks are upset about.

--Eric

What concerns me most is the aftermath of that event. I'm wondering when and how we will find out about the effects on Undermountain as a whole, as well as Skullport and Waterdeep. Even if you can't spill the beans on the effects, can you at least tell us when that will be explored?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2007 :  22:29:24  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

To follow up on a question from Ed's thread:

quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

Ed,

There's some confusion about the Undermountain sourcebook. I've seen it both privately and publicly. So I'm asking: is the new sourcebook part of FR canon? A lot of people are confused if it is or is not since it doesn't have the FR logo and its a generic sourcebook.

Yes, afaik.

Grand History of the Realms will refer to the key event that most folks are upset about.

--Eric

What concerns me most is the aftermath of that event. I'm wondering when and how we will find out about the effects on Undermountain as a whole, as well as Skullport and Waterdeep. Even if you can't spill the beans on the effects, can you at least tell us when that will be explored?

No, unfortunately, due to NDAs.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2007 :  22:14:14  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Mr. Boyd.

There was a discussion about Lolth / Araushnee and the split of the Core and FR "Lolths" over at the WizBoards. Maybe you can shed some more light on it? (Sorry in advance for the long quotes ...)

DrowBattlemind
quote:
At the time of the first edition, first printing Deities & Demigods, there was no 'Core Lolth' / 'FR Lolth' dichotomy which you seem to be so set upon. That appears (to me, anyway) to be mere retconning on the part of post 2nd ed novel writers (not Ed Greenwood), like the (ill-thought out) 'Great Tree', something else Mr. Greenwood had nothing to do with.

IIRC, the whole 'Auraushnee' origin of Lolth was also someone elses, as I don't recall that being mentioned in the original Drow of the Underdark. (If it was, please post it here, as I'm presently missing my copy of the 2nd ed DotU, since I loaned it out to a friend who moved before he could return it.)

And there is no "Forgotten Realms Lolth" and "Core Lolth". Lolth is Lolth! You're not going to be able to travel to the Demonweb pits and see "Forgotten Realms Lolth" sitting down and having tea with "Core Lolth", "Greyhawk Lolth", and "D20 Modern Urban Arcana Lolth", unless She totally flips out and breaks down into Multiple Personality Disorder.

To which I replied:
quote:
One step after another. Lolth as Demon Queen was created for Greyhawk, no doubt about that. Once the FR arrived, she was adopted (as many other deities) to the Realms' pantheon. While in AD&D we do had a connected cosmology, the FR one soon took of fand became something special. Not just in terms of 200 new or adopted deities, but also with regard to existing ones. There is a story about Lolth and Corellon in The Complete Elven Handbook (1992), more or less excluding Araushnee's involvement in the Gruumsh affair. (While we are at it, the book also says something about the creation of the Elves, not those of the FR, but anyway.)
Demihuman Deities took that up and - with Evermeet - started to create (as with hundreds of other FR deities) a seperate, more detailed FR history of the deities. Hence, Araushnee came about and was introduced by none other than Eric L. Boyd (or someone of alike authority). At that point, the FR Lolth became separated from the Core one, not least because the FR version grew immensely in power. Whether Planescapers and Great Wheel-all-cosmologies-are-connected loyalists liked it or not. It even says so in the introduction of the F&A series: What happens in other settings' cosmologies has no influence on deities within the Realms, unless a deity is slain on its home soil. 3E took that up, only that they used the FR Lolth's stats et al for the Core one too.
After the War of the Spider Queen, in which the FR Lolth took the FR Demonwebs out of the "FR Abyss", the FR Lolth is most definitely no longer the Core Lolth, who still lives in the "Core Abyss".
Coming to think of it, this might be the start of killing off the FR Lolth altogether, as she could then be slain on her home soil in that sava game she plays with Eilistraee, who could simply walk over into the seperate FR Demonwebs. As dire a thought that may be.
Generally, what has been, has been. I look at the Forgotten Realms as a complete setting, with its own deities and Abyss and what have you. This world may or may not be connected through whatever channels to other settings that may of may not have deities that are namesakes. I use the Fiendish Codices for reference when I play with fiends or fiend lords, no problem. But just as reference. What happens in Core Greyhawk worlds or Eberron or what have you, places that might have namesake deities is of no relevance ... or, let's put it in other words: has as much influence on the Realms as the fate of the original Real Word Osiris, Set, or Loviatar. That is: nothing.

DrowBattlemind
quote:
Who apparently didn't consult Mr. Greenwood. It reminds me of Sam Kinison's rant about televangelist scams:
(as Jesus) "Where the heck in this book did I say 'Take money from the elderly and build a WATER SLIDE'?!?"

http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?p=13072089#post13072089

So - am I right to assume that when writing DD you did consult with previous lore on elves and drow and, last but certainly not least the great Archwizard himself? This is not about who's right or not, just requesting some more info on how the FR history of the drow deities came about.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 14 Jul 2007 22:15:54
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2007 :  22:28:57  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan
So - am I right to assume that when writing DD you did consult with previous lore on elves and drow and, last but certainly not least the great Archwizard himself? This is not about who's right or not, just requesting some more info on how the FR history of the drow deities came about.

The write-up of the drow pantheon in Demihuman Deities was derived primarily from Drow of the Underdark (2e) and Elves of Evermeet. Where possible, I kept it consistent with Monstrous Mythology and other "generic" sources.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2007 :  23:58:16  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Araushnee is mentioned as Lolth's former name in FOR2 The Drow of the Underdark p. 20. Is that the first occurrence?
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2007 :  00:31:08  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Araushnee is mentioned as Lolth's former name in FOR2 The Drow of the Underdark p. 20. Is that the first occurrence?

I think so, but it's been a long time.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2007 :  11:04:27  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks to you both for the info! Haven't got access to my The Drow of the Underdark right now ... and apparently forgot that mentioning of Araushnee.

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2007 :  18:24:29  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

No. This name first appeared in the novel Evermeet.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2007 :  18:49:32  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But Elaine, your novel was published six or seven years after FOR2.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2007 :  22:33:06  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Noted that too. Ed mentions her name under Drow Religion in TDotUD in 1991. Nothing more than her name though.
BTW, Demihuman Deities and Evermeet appeared within months of each other, so am I right in assuming a close working relation on that and the Seldarine topics?

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2007 :  04:03:59  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Noted that too. Ed mentions her name under Drow Religion in TDotUD in 1991. Nothing more than her name though.
BTW, Demihuman Deities and Evermeet appeared within months of each other, so am I right in assuming a close working relation on that and the Seldarine topics?

IIRC (I'm a littly foggy on the dates), Demihuman Deities followed Elaine's excellent lead on the Seldarine and Anti-Seldarine.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  22:32:13  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik,

Do you know who did the "In Faerun" entries for Monster Manual V? and do you know who wrote the vampire section? I have both Realms and vampire stat block questions for that book.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2007 :  01:56:36  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

Erik,

Do you know who did the "In Faerun" entries for Monster Manual V? and do you know who wrote the vampire section? I have both Realms and vampire stat block questions for that book.

I don't. Sorry. Try the "Ask Rich Baker" thread on the WoTC boards.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2007 :  03:07:59  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric,

I haven't read all the "Faerun" entries yet, but the Ilsensine references and the "party of plane-travelling mind flayers" are certainly intriguing... too bad my current campaign does not go anywhere near psionics!
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2007 :  20:41:15  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Vendui! (well, this must be followed by a question drow, of course )

In the Shadowdale excerpt over at the Wizards ...

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20070718a

... the drow House Dhuurniv is mentioned. They are Lolthites, working together with the Zhents. Now, my only source on them tells that they were working in Cormanthor when it fell, ages ago. Can you or the designer responsible tell me which city they belong too - if any - or whether they are counted among those "Spiderkissers" named in the Cormanthor entries?

Thanks in advance,

Zanan!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2007 :  22:42:47  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Vendui! (well, this must be followed by a question drow, of course )

In the Shadowdale excerpt over at the Wizards ...

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20070718a

... the drow House Dhuurniv is mentioned. They are Lolthites, working together with the Zhents. Now, my only source on them tells that they were working in Cormanthor when it fell, ages ago. Can you or the designer responsible tell me which city they belong too - if any - or whether they are counted among those "Spiderkissers" named in the Cormanthor entries?

Thanks in advance,

Zanan!

Search for Dhuurniv in Fall of Myth Drannor. (Free PDF on WoTC site.)

I've set them up as a Maerimydran House that was all-but-exiled from Maerimydra following the Weeping War and the spectacular failure of their gambit. When Maerimydra was destroyed, House Dhuurniv's long-standing exile meant they were the least affected of the noble houses by the city's destruction. As a result, House Dhuurniv is now uniquely positioned to reverse the Maerimydran diaspora.

Unless, of course, the PCs cut off their heads ...

--Eric

PS You'll note a certain sword mentioned in FoMD shows up in S:SotL.

--

Edited by - ericlboyd on 19 Jul 2007 22:57:38
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2007 :  08:56:03  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Vendui!

Thanks for that info. So ... that sword has been retrieved by the House from Maerimydra (where it is mentioned to be resting in Lost Empires of Faerūn) before the latter fell? Nice to see such a continuety in the history of that region. Am I right in exepcting that the House has a stronghold beyond Maerimydra then? My Shadowdale has not yet arrived, so I do not knwo whether there's any info in there.

Aluve, Zanan!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

Edited by - Zanan on 20 Jul 2007 08:56:35
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 48 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000