Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Steven Schend
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2005 :  20:12:10  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend
HEY ELAINE! You and I need to talk some time this weekend, if you've a moment! Have a few questions for this BLACKSTAFF revision I'm doing....

Sounds good! Just don't call between 6:30 and 7:00 on Sunday morning, as I have a live radio interview at that time.

Which leads me to wonder exactly how many fantasy readers anyone expects to be UP at that hour....

Well, I usually return from work about then, pity about that whole time-zones thingy that puts me at least 5 hours ahead of America... (and way out of the radio-station's reach.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2005 :  22:20:21  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

Which leads me to wonder exactly how many fantasy readers anyone expects to be UP at that hour....

Times before noon really exist on weekends?

Apparently y'all don't have "little alarm clocks" that get up at 5:30 AM every single day. ;-)

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2005 :  22:23:52  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I have a 'little alarm clock', but I have trained her to stay asleep until 10!

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2005 :  22:31:27  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My very loud alarm (as I am at best 50% hearing) wakes me up at 450am, then 458am, then 506am, or whenever until I stop hitting the snooze button and get my butt outta bed...

Today, working at home on the novel, I luxuriated in bed until the very late hour of 750am! And then I read a little until finally getting up at 830! THAT'S really late for this early riser....

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2005 :  00:01:20  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ick summer vacation is over and now I have to resume my wake up time of 5:15 am starting thursday. What a sucky thing!

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2005 :  00:22:02  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cough,

Hey, let's get back on topic please. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2005 :  15:55:50  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's hoping I can track down a copy of DRAGON 335 today.....if only to see what Eric's been up to....

Go to Top of Page

Llah
Acolyte

Ukraine
6 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2005 :  16:23:50  Show Profile  Visit Llah's Homepage Send Llah a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven, and how are my poor questions :) about poor Myth Drannor&
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2005 :  03:54:19  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Llah

Hi, Stiven. Accessory "Fall of Myth Drannor" is one of the best FR products for me. This book impressed me a lot, as the "Elminster in Myth Drannor", which I read earlier so I want to write some fan-fiction collection of essays about the Fall. But when the first three stories were ready, I run into some problems. And these problems are in the following questions. I already asked them to Ed Greenwood, and Wooly advised me to ask them for you too. So:
1. The main theme of collection is the story of Iolas Eyriendor, Arykerym of Ak'Velahr, whose name was mentioned in the "Fall of Myth Drannor". He was described, as traitor, but I'd think a lot about his deeds…and asked myself: "And what if this man only executed a command?". So I read this book again and thought: "Hmm, the Fall was very bad event for all…except Noble Houses. They regain Old Elven Court, closed it for all non-elves, unruly commanders (such as Captain Selorn and Major Olortynaal) were dead, and the N'Tel'Quess-members of Council also were killed. This is very interesting". And after two days, when I sat at the table with pencil and paper, I suddenly stop writing and thought: "And what, if the Houses decided to surrender Myth Drannor with all its N'Tel'Quess?" So the first question to Ed is - "Could Houses decide to do this, or not? Could they decide to destroy the whole city for the restoration of elven glory?"

Still can't find my copy of FALL, but I've made you wait overlong for a response. This is a fascinating way to revisit and rethink the Weeping War and it's definitely valid. I'd venture to guess at least 3 gold elf histories portray it all as "this is how we saved the glory of Cormanthor from the sullying touch of demons and n'tel'quess alike!"

To directly answer your questions, it's certainly within the realm of possibility that this is EXACTLY what some Houses did. That's why the city's unity fell apart so quickly after Eltargrim's passing (quickly in elf terms, that is).

quote:

2. Second question. During the Twilight's Falling Lady Steel and a lot of Harpers at Twilight died. But what role did they play in Myth Drannor? Was their death important or nor? And could the Houses decide to kill her for the best of all golden elves?

Good question, and one I'd rather beg off on answering definitively right now...and thus, the NDA cloak descends once again upon Candlekeep.....

quote:

3. In the description of the battle, which was named Dawn at Erolith's Knoll, the name of Erolith was mentioned. Is there any information about this "noted sylvan elf scout and warrior."

Everything I know about Erolith is in FOMD, but once I reread the sourcebook, I may resurrect some old story ideas...we'll see...

quote:

4. Human-mage Nezras, who later was named, as Traitor? Played some role in the Fall. There is no information about him, except notes about his participations in battles and his wedding with elven wizardress Raejiisa Sicafei. There are two questions - Is there anything about his life? - and - Could the family Sicafei agree with this wedding for the future use of Nezras during the War?

I could have sworn I put in the whys and wherefores of Nezras going traitor. Did that get split up into Cormanthyr & FoMD? This'll be another I'll come back to for more later, but brief answers for you are no (alas, for now) and quite possibly.....

quote:

5. During the Silvergate Battle? Elminster Aumar detonated the portal between Silverymoon and Myth Drannon from within. Here is the citation from the rulebook - "Elminster was lost among the planes for a time, due to his task of destroying the gate from within". Is any information about El's traveling between planes?

No info; just a maguffin to answer people's long-time questions at that time as to why the Chosen didn't help save Myth Drannor, given all their power. Even if I had info on that, it'd be Ed's story to tell, anyways.

quote:

6. During The Third Court Crusade 2/3 of Captain Selorn's forces were leaved in the restored Elven Court. He was a good commander and had to understood, that with 1/3 of army he couldn't do nothing in Myth Drannor - only die. So the question is: What was more important for Selorn, as a Captain of Ak'Velahr and also the son of the House Selorn - the order of Houses, representatives which formed the Council of Elven Court, or his duty before Myth Drannor?

Again, I'll recheck, but I'd say that Selorn's duty and vows to the akh'velahr and to Myth Drannor took precedence over his House and his family. Remember, the guy's a lifetime soldier, he's the commander, and that makes the army much more his family than his House. And honestly, given the politics of elven families (especially noble Houses), isn't it more conceivable that his loyalties to Eltargrim are far greater than his relatives?

That said, a lot of the final months of the Weeping War were meant to be a number of "Charge of the Light Brigade" sort of moments, including Selorn's sacrifice. He couldn't disobey direct orders of the nobility (who still had power...or perhaps some other ways to coerce him into accepting this, so he kept the cream of his troops and left the wounded or lessers with them), but neither could he turn his back on Myth Drannor.

quote:

7. And the last question. The Bane Duel. The last hope of Myth Drannor…or no? Or may be the hope was dead long ago? The last question is: IF Captain Fflar defeated Aulmpiter and stay alive, could he save the City of Song, or not?
That's all. I'll be very grateful for answers.

Well, one rule of my writing comes from my love of comic books: If I don't leave a body behind when a character is declared dead, never rule out the possibility that (s)he might be back......and another read-through of FOMD will show that quite a few famous folk never left corpses behind....

Hope some of these answers help you, Llah; I'll try and track down FOMD and get more details into this where I can.

Sweet water and light laughter to all, and our prayers remain with the people of New Orleans and the Gulf Coast...

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2005 :  04:06:55  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven Fall of Myth Drannor is freebie from the WOTC site

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/2/fr_downloads/tsr9558.zip

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2005 :  04:16:45  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Thanks, but I've got it somewhere on disc....I just can't put my hands on it. If I still don't find it this weekend, I'll put my weak-tea of a dialup service to work downloading it for a few hours late night Sunday....

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2005 :  05:27:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Thanks, but I've got it somewhere on disc....I just can't put my hands on it. If I still don't find it this weekend, I'll put my weak-tea of a dialup service to work downloading it for a few hours late night Sunday....

'Tis a small enough file that on 56k, it should only take a few minutes.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2005 :  07:51:48  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So Myth Drannor fell largely because the Gold elf nobles weakened it from within..............I`m not an elf-hater like Malar but these "high" elfs as they also call themselves are bringing forth the ithyak-orthel within me...........

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2005 :  13:01:12  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

So Myth Drannor fell largely because the Gold elf nobles weakened it from within..............I`m not an elf-hater like Malar but these "high" elfs as they also call themselves are bringing forth the ithyak-orthel within me...........

Yes, they have to shoulder some blame, but not quite all of it....they weren't alone in being petty, opportunistic, xenophobic, or merely paranoid. There were lots of people and factors culpable. They just had more influence and ways in which to affect things.

Like many things, the dream rarely survives unless Everyone is equally invested in it...and despite centuries of trying, Myth Drannor always had its divisions.

Me, I'd rather focus on the people who GOT it and embraced Oacenth's Vow and Eltargrim's Dream, even if many of them died noble but tragic deaths. Better to dream and hope of better worlds than to hold too tightly onto the status quo and what you already know....for there lies stagnation and death. Which evidenced in the Retreat in many ways....

just as the resurgence of elves onto Faerun is accomplished by those elves who DON'T hold cotton with prejudices and traditions of old. If/when the elves reclaim Cormanthor, I suspect they may be more apt to cooperate and ally with Dalesmen than in times past, as they've learned that walling oneself off only leads to sieges....

SES

Edited by - Steven Schend on 02 Sep 2005 13:04:18
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2005 :  13:52:21  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Well, one rule of my writing comes from my love of comic books: If I don't leave a body behind when a character is declared dead, never rule out the possibility that (s)he might be back......and another read-through of FOMD will show that quite a few famous folk never left corpses behind....

And I like too much of this, too. What bring us to my cormyrean/dalelands campaign, and my interest in the fate of Garnet! Since I read these marvelous text of "Garnet´s Pyre" in the FoMD, I´m wondering the possibilities of the noble red are still alive (and captive, of course ). Two great dangerous possibilities came to my mind: Klauth (FRCS), because he have used some strange magic to syphoon the life force of other dragons to himself; or Daurgothot (sp?), the Creeeping Doom (Wyrms of the North article), a dracolich that´s using magic to emulate the breath of the other chromatics.

So, I´m interested in see if you have some more info to share with us about the fate of Garnet, and what you think of the possibilities mentioned. Only to mention, this mission of "rescue the red dragon" is a real distant project (adventurers are third level, yet...), but I´m very excited with the possibilities. The return of Fflar, and the possible return of Garnet, and the unity desires of the Arun´s Son will bring back a great spark of hope in the hearts of all those who seek the unity of the good-hearted people.

Chosen of Moradin, typing with a cat named tressyn sleepin at the side of the mouse

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2005 :  13:55:33  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
...Who among the related NPCs linked to Khelben do you most want to see/expect to see in that story? (Bear in mind this excludes the obvious ones of his wife and probably her fellow Chosen. I was wondering if you all expected a parade of ex-apprentices or new people...)

The Grey Hands! With Harshnagg, and all!

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2005 :  17:36:47  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Something with the gray hands would be nice, since as far as I know they haven`t been mentioned in a single realms novel

Go to Top of Page

Brom Greenstar
Acolyte

Argentina
25 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2005 :  18:29:25  Show Profile  Visit Brom Greenstar's Homepage Send Brom Greenstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
About the Return of the elves, I was having this strange thought that maybe worshipers of Eilistraee could be involved, and helping. That would be the perfect mirror of the Coronal's Dream, IMO.
Go to Top of Page

Llah
Acolyte

Ukraine
6 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2005 :  06:18:49  Show Profile  Visit Llah's Homepage Send Llah a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great thanks! It'll not only help me a lot. It's really wonderful, when you receive some new information about one of the most intriguing events in the histor of FR. It will be even more wonderful, if you later could find some additional information, but even these answers are...fantastic. Thank you!
<Well, one rule of my writing comes from my love of comic books: If I don't leave a body behind when a character is declared dead, never rule out the possibility that (s)he might be back......and another read-through of FOMD will show that quite a few famous folk never left corpses behind....>
Hmm, if Fflar isn't between alive, and isn't between dead, could we say, that Aulmpiter the Nycaloth may also be alive? And one day they'll continue their fight?
Go to Top of Page

El Magnifico Uno
Learned Scribe

113 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2005 :  07:57:37  Show Profile  Visit El Magnifico Uno's Homepage Send El Magnifico Uno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Scrolls Ardentym... "These scrolls constitute a military tactical text on spellcasting in combat and they also record a number of unique spells for the Akh#146;Faer"... 38 pages of vellum that take a group of high nages over 500 years to write?... Anymore light that can be shed on this?... After 5 centuries of work, one can draw two conclusions -
A) They were really lazy mages...
B) It's a terribly powerful item...
Given that the correct answer is "B", was there anymore development to this idea? Or is it just a red herring for DMs to play with?
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2005 :  13:46:56  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Llah

Great thanks! It'll not only help me a lot. It's really wonderful, when you receive some new information about one of the most intriguing events in the histor of FR. It will be even more wonderful, if you later could find some additional information, but even these answers are...fantastic. Thank you!

You're welcome, but thank you as well for being a fan and making me look at my own work from an entirely new angle. THAT'S one of the best parts about the Realms--there's always another angle....

quote:

<Well, one rule of my writing comes from my love of comic books: If I don't leave a body behind when a character is declared dead, never rule out the possibility that (s)he might be back......and another read-through of FOMD will show that quite a few famous folk never left corpses behind....>
Hmm, if Fflar isn't between alive, and isn't between dead, could we say, that Aulmpiter the Nycaloth may also be alive? And one day they'll continue their fight?

Well, I would never bring Aulmpiter back, given my general distaste for the lower planar types (and I only used them due to the story already being set-up). That said, you could probably do that for your campaign...and scare the bejeebers out of your players...

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2005 :  13:50:12  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Something with the gray hands would be nice, since as far as I know they haven`t been mentioned in a single realms novel

Color me a curmudgeon, if you will, but I still like Force Grey as their name.

Don't know if they'll survive the revision/edit, but they're in there in small ways and mentions. I made it a point to try and pull in all the disparate groups of agents/helpers/friends of Khelben's in some way with the novel. After all, if it's called BLACKSTAFF, you ought to find out what happens when he has a couple of really bad days....

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2005 :  13:52:11  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

quote:

And I like too much of this, too. What bring us to my cormyrean/dalelands campaign, and my interest in the fate of Garnet! Since I read these marvelous text of "Garnet´s Pyre" in the FoMD, I´m wondering the possibilities of the noble red are still alive (and captive, of course ). Two great dangerous possibilities came to my mind: Klauth (FRCS), because he have used some strange magic to syphoon the life force of other dragons to himself; or Daurgothot (sp?), the Creeeping Doom (Wyrms of the North article), a dracolich that´s using magic to emulate the breath of the other chromatics.

So, I´m interested in see if you have some more info to share with us about the fate of Garnet, and what you think of the possibilities mentioned. Only to mention, this mission of "rescue the red dragon" is a real distant project (adventurers are third level, yet...), but I´m very excited with the possibilities. The return of Fflar, and the possible return of Garnet, and the unity desires of the Arun´s Son will bring back a great spark of hope in the hearts of all those who seek the unity of the good-hearted people.

Chosen of Moradin, typing with a cat named tressyn sleepin at the side of the mouse

As far as I'm concerned, Garnet's still out there somewhere....seeking atonement and penance for his unwitting role in Myth Drannor's Fall. He's still relatively young for a dragon, and he's definitely a wild card in every sense of the word (in terms of power, attitude, and form). By all means, work him into your campaigns!

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2005 :  13:56:37  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by El Magnifico Uno

The Scrolls Ardentym... "These scrolls constitute a military tactical text on spellcasting in combat and they also record a number of unique spells for the Akh#146;Faer"... 38 pages of vellum that take a group of high nages over 500 years to write?... Anymore light that can be shed on this?... After 5 centuries of work, one can draw two conclusions -
A) They were really lazy mages...
B) It's a terribly powerful item...
Given that the correct answer is "B", was there anymore development to this idea? Or is it just a red herring for DMs to play with?

Not so much lazy as meticulous, anal-retentive, and picky.
500 years is only a lifetime for an elf...so think of the Ardentym as the Oxford English Dictionary crossed with the Army training manual: It took some time to get all the spells right; then it took longer to figure out the best ways to use them in combat tactically; then it took longer to systematically teach the Akh'faer these spells. Even when done so for the public good, mages are stingy with their secrets, which might be another reason it took so long.

As for any other lore, I'm afraid that's all I can think of at present. If any more rattles loose, I'll let you know.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2005 :  14:29:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, I would never bring Aulmpiter back, given my general distaste for the lower planar types (and I only used them due to the story already being set-up).
What's wrong with the lower planar types?

I would think that with your work on elves, Myth Drannor, and the like, you'd have an greater appreciation for the finicky fiendish folk... .

quote:
As do I. It reminds me of a Marvel super hero teams from the 80's... .

quote:
I made it a point to try and pull in all the disparate groups of agents/helpers/friends of Khelben's in some way with the novel. After all, if it's called BLACKSTAFF, you ought to find out what happens when he has a couple of really bad days....
Laeral uses him as a punching bag for her self-defense lessons she's learning from Mirt?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2005 :  17:26:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

You're not the only one. I didn't like that name change.

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2005 :  18:36:11  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I don`t really think force gray is appropriate for something in the realms. It sounds like some marvel comic.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2005 :  22:36:32  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

They'll always be Force Grey to me as well. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2005 :  22:51:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don`t really think force gray is appropriate for something in the realms. It sounds like some marvel comic.

It does sound like a super-team, but that's why it is a cool name. I can understand why it was changed, but "Gray Hands" is a pretty lame name, in my opinion.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2005 :  01:30:03  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

It does sound like a super-team, but that's why it is a cool name. I can understand why it was changed, but "Gray Hands" is a pretty lame name, in my opinion.

Well, Jeff Grubb was the one who created them, named them, and explained them to me on my first asking: "They're the Justice League of Waterdeep under Batman's, er, Khelben's control."

No, that doesn't mean they're super-heroes of any sort. They're just a highly dedicated bunch of citizens with a bit more power than the average Guard or Watch patrol...which is bound to happen when you've got a frost giant to watch your back.

All said, Eric did a great job with them and I applaud him, even if WotC was the one who asked him to change the name. No harm, no foul; after all, I believe the entry notes that it's still referred to by its old name as well as the new one (just like you can translate tel'teukiira about 3 ways as well...).

SES

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000