Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 Baldur's Gate II
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lucius
Seeker

98 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2005 :  17:23:40  Show Profile  Visit Lucius's Homepage Send Lucius a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just a quick question about BG II. Having only played the first game, and Icewind Dale, I was shocked to hear that the sequel is more akin to a hack and slash game than the roleplaying style of the first. Is this the case? And if not, do you prefer BGII to the first for it's roleplaying? I ask as I may be purchasing a copy soon.

Thanks in Advance

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2005 :  18:02:10  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a tough one, as many people I know say that they prefer #1 over #2. I have to say though, that I seriously loved #2 far FAR more than the first which I didn't enjoy at all.

The roleplaying aspects are superb, the story is peerless and I can say that not only was BG II the reason that I got into the Forgotten Realms, but it's also without a shadow of a doubt the ebst game I've ever played

Many other preferred Planescape and such other titles, but for me, BG II is the piece de resistance as it were.

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

Narad Bladesinger
Learned Scribe

Finland
170 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2005 :  19:32:50  Show Profile  Visit Narad Bladesinger's Homepage Send Narad Bladesinger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to have to double Muadib here.

BG2 is by far the best game I have ever played. Dunno what it is, but after 5th time playing the game I still find new things that I had bypassed beofre.
Maybe its the freedom, maybe its the story but the chances are that you are going to love BG2.

Though I haven't ever played BG I had to post. This game is too close to my heart (Maybe I should go out and get some sunlight instead of this monitor-tan I have )

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2005 :  19:46:53  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BG2 is very hack and slash. You can beat BG2 without playing through 80% of the game. They just add some much camoflage that most people get side tracked from the main point of the story and do parts of the game that aren't necessary, unlike BG1 which is story driven and makes use of all the locations for the story.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2005 :  20:26:04  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yepp I I have to agree with SirUrza on the account that BG1 makes far better use of the areas in the game than the BG II does. And as for multiplayer I had the best game with Icewind Dale I, which kicked as. Man that was a LAN party I will soon forget.

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi
Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2005 :  03:10:59  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to have to go with BG2. Although you do have to fight enemies a bit more in BG2, you still have adventures, quests, solve problems, hidden missions, intercharacter party relations and roleplaying that are not diminished one bit. I really enjoyed the game that even though I have finished it, I still am playing but with other classes. One thing I found with this game is that the ending to some of the quests depend on your alignment and class which is not found in any RPG I've played before. Therefore I give BG2 my two thumbs up (I would give more but at the moment I only have two thumbs).

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2005 :  11:15:57  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Funny, because what I get from BG1 is this: lots and lots of empty areas. You'd be lucky if you happen across one NPC with something to say; finding a NPC that's plot-relevant or quest-giving is a rare event. Wandering all over the superfluous maps is tedious, to say the very least. It might just be me, but content-void grasslands with the occasional monsters thrown in don't strike me as, well, "good use of all the locations for the story." About the only advantage it has over BG2 is the illusion of freedom, because you can pretty much wander wherever you like. If you don't mind the fact that there won't be much to do. Sort of like Morrowind.

Mind you, I never did play the expansion all the way through, and finished the game "only" once.

If anything, I consider BG2 much more plot-driven. Every area actually has something, and plenty something at that. The joinable NPCs have banter, with each other and with the PC; sometimes they even speak up in conversations with non-party NPCs. I also wouldn't say that BG2 is any more hack-and-slashy than BG1 was. Sure, you can ignore all the sidequests and go straight for the main plot, but you know, you could do that in BG1, too; it all depends on what you choose to do and what you choose not to. It's not as if BG1 wasn't packed full of side-quests itself. (Hello, the expansion pack? One big, big sidequest much? As opposed to Throne of Bhaal which, regardless of its linear nature and ridiculousness at points, is an extension of the main plot?)

I'm wondering if SirUrza played the same games as I did. Heh.

Edited by - Winterfox on 26 Jan 2005 11:17:24
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000