Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Just looking at O-Loves FR novel releases
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2005 :  00:32:34  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

and noticed a few things

http://www.o-love.net/realms/fr_books_date.html

Where getting one more novel this year then we got last year 14 vs 13

July/August is going to be a very expensive month for many Realms fans

Farthest Reach
City of Splendors: A novel
The Emerald Sceptre
City of Spendors: the Source book
Champions of Ruin

Better get a big fat tax return this year

2006 is looking a little light for FR novels we've only got 8 announced so far that will be 6 down on 2005

Its some what disturbing that there are no FR trilogies starting in 06 either (Which leaves 2007 looking very bare)

Nothing by Elaine (After COS) or RAS for the next 3 years

Admitedly the list doesnt include Eds 3 Knights of Myth Drannor books)

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2005 :  00:45:06  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth
2006 is looking a little light for FR novels we've only got 8 announced so far that will be 6 down on 2005

Its some what disturbing that there are no FR trilogies starting in 06 either (Which leaves 2007 looking very bare)

Nothing by Elaine (After COS) or RAS for the next 3 years

Admitedly the list doesnt include Eds 3 Knights of Myth Drannor books)

Too early I think to really worry about 06 or later. After all, we still haven't got full details about releases for the rest of this year.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2005 :  01:56:24  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is going to be great year for novel fans--I, for one, can't wait for The Emerald Scepter and Waterdeep.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2005 :  03:30:13  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't worry about Bob, he's going to do something. As for Elaine, I'd worry. Some of the comments she's made don't make me think things between her and Wizards are delicate.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2005 :  03:47:39  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

Too early I think to really worry about 06 or later. After all, we still haven't got full details about releases for the rest of this year.

I disagree

it seems to take at least 12 months for author to go from contract to store shelf (Unless you have the Candian Liberian prolific writer Regional feat in which case it can be done in a month )

We also dont have any from Paul Kemp, Dave Gross, Voronica or Thomas Reid after 05

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2005 :  05:12:05  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe they're taking Baby steps instead of rushing ahead? :)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2005 :  05:19:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

[...]
[...]
Champions of Ruin

Oooh! I'm going to have such a time trying to work out which one to read first... especially when you consider what order they'll be released in through the two months... .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36794 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2005 :  11:19:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

July/August is going to be a very expensive month for many Realms fans

Farthest Reach
The Emerald Sceptre
Champions of Ruin

It's also going to be a painful month for anyone that gets between me and the Waterdeep sourcebook.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2005 :  14:57:09  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage, that depends on whether you follow the “save the best for last” philosophy or not. As someone who has SOME knowledge of what’s in all three, I’d say this: Champions of Ruin essentially has nothing to do with the Waterdeep novel, and so can be read at any time (myself, I’d read it first, and let it stew in my forebrain until after the other two have been enjoyed, for campaign development later).
The Waterdeep game product faces the usual problem of WAY too much data to squeeze into too few pages. It MIGHT contain tiny spoilers for the novel, but if so, I’d guess they’ll be the sort that leap out at the reader as spoilers only AFTER they’ve read the novel.
So for me, it’d be Champions first, then the Waterdeep game product, and then, left until last and savoured, the Waterdeep novel. Ed has in the past confirmed that it’s a “romp” but also addresses serious issues, and has cameos by some big familiar faces but essentially centers around new characters - - and like most of us, the combo of Elaine and Ed is a must-see for me.
BTW, Ed tells me we can expect the usual extra Waterdeep “support” goodies on the website and perhaps also in DRAGON (not just by him).
I also echo the posters here who’ve said it’s too early to worry about how many Realms releases there are, and by whom (or who’s missing), for 2006 and later. Much is Not Yet Revealed.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2005 :  15:40:00  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree.I wouldn't worry too much about 2006 just yet.2005 has just begun,and there is much reading to be done.I don't see WoTC putting out just 8 novels in a year for the Realms.But I do agree with Dargoth that it is somewhat disturbing that there are no new trilogies starting in 2006.As for the authors that are absent.Paul and Thomas will have already finished up with their respective trilogies,and very well could be working on other projects.Just not for WoTC.I could very well be wrong on this,but it's a guess.

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2005 :  16:21:23  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VEDSICA

I agree.I wouldn't worry too much about 2006 just yet.2005 has just begun,and there is much reading to be done.I don't see WoTC putting out just 8 novels in a year for the Realms.But I do agree with Dargoth that it is somewhat disturbing that there are no new trilogies starting in 2006.As for the authors that are absent.Paul and Thomas will have already finished up with their respective trilogies,and very well could be working on other projects.Just not for WoTC.I could very well be wrong on this,but it's a guess.

The sequel trilogy to the Erevis Cale trilogy is (last I heard) scheduled to start in '06. Given that, I wouldn't worry too much about what you see and don't see on the '06 release schedule. It's in process, is my guess. Things will become clearer in time and I'll bet you a 100 Sembian fivestars that the volume of books released in '06 will number about the same or more as the number released in '04 and '05, respectively.

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 20 Jan 2005 16:26:27
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2005 :  16:34:59  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VEDSICA
But I do agree with Dargoth that it is somewhat disturbing that there are no new trilogies starting in 2006.

Still, it was awfully late in 04 before we learned about the new Athans' trilogy starting this year.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2005 :  16:38:58  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp
The sequel trilogy to the Erevis Cale trilogy is (last I heard) scheduled to start in '06.

Will this trilogy reunite Cale with Tazi?

SB who had to ask.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2005 :  17:11:39  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The sequel trilogy to the Erevis Cale trilogy is (last I heard) scheduled to start in '06. Given that, I wouldn't worry too much about what you see and don't see on the '06 release schedule. It's in process, is my guess. Things will become clearer in time and I'll bet you a 100 Sembian fivestars that the volume of books released in '06 will number about the same or more as the number released in '04 and '05, respectively.

WOW! Excellent news. I'm extremely excited about Midnight's Mask, but the excitement was mixed with an underpinning glumness that there will be no more Cale, after having followed him since reading of him all those years ago in Halls of Stormweather. This news has now just sent me very giddy

What more can you tell us Paul? Anything at all?

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2005 :  20:54:24  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

WOW! Excellent news. I'm extremely excited about Midnight's Mask, but the excitement was mixed with an underpinning glumness that there will be no more Cale, after having followed him since reading of him all those years ago in Halls of Stormweather. This news has now just sent me very giddy

What more can you tell us Paul? Anything at all?

Rad,

I announced the follow up trilogy in my thread some time ago. The trilogy has been a go for months. Where have you been, sir?

Anyway, as I indicated in my blog here -- http://www.livejournal.com/users/paulskemp/ -- the next trilogy will be tied to a "Realms Shaking Event." I can't give any particulars now, but will as soon as I can.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2005 :  21:58:54  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

the next trilogy will be tied to a "Realms Shaking Event." I can't give any particulars now, but will as soon as I can.

Well an Earthquake comes to mind ;-) though I suspect it will be larger then that. Good luck on the series I look forward to it.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2005 :  22:48:19  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Rad,

I announced the follow up trilogy in my thread some time ago. The trilogy has been a go for months. Where have you been, sir?

Anyway, as I indicated in my blog here -- http://www.livejournal.com/users/paulskemp/ -- the next trilogy will be tied to a "Realms Shaking Event." I can't give any particulars now, but will as soon as I can.

Ack! You mean i've been going through all these weeks\months of depression for nothing?! How I missed reading of this, i'll never ever know! ::wanders off scratching his head::

Well i'm beside myself with this news, regardless, and I'll look forward to your continued updates and leaks of information on this upcoming trilogy within your thread at Candlekeep

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36794 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2005 :  00:11:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

BTW, Ed tells me we can expect the usual extra Waterdeep “support” goodies on the website and perhaps also in DRAGON (not just by him).

Web goodies and the Dragon articles from Elaine? Rock! That is wonderful news!

As a Waterdeep junkie, I want all the Waterdhavian lore I can get.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 21 Jan 2005 00:14:34
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2005 :  01:37:02  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, no! We want Impiltur. And plenty of it!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2005 :  04:54:01  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wild speculation will begin in lieu of details. It will and I'll start it. The next RSE is most likely tied in to the Year of Risen Elfkin. Thus, it's obvious, Cale has elven blood in him and will rise. Case closed.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2005 :  06:23:14  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

Wild speculation will begin in lieu of details. It will and I'll start it. The next RSE is most likely tied in to the Year of Risen Elfkin. Thus, it's obvious, Cale has elven blood in him and will rise. Case closed.

But from what? His bed? His chair? Or perhaps from a chair on his bed?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36794 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2005 :  11:21:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

No, no! We want Impiltur. And plenty of it!

-- George Krashos

Impiltur? What's that?

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2005 :  12:45:54  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What?! Heresy! Time for those Tyrran inquisitors to track you down Wooly - and bring you to account in that peaceful oasis of goodness known as Impiltur. That is, if the Queen of Whispers doesn't get to you first.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2005 :  14:26:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sage, that depends on whether you follow the “save the best for last” philosophy or not.

Normally I do, however, there's been quite a number of recent novels that I've just simply wanted to sink my teeth into the moment I purchased them... .

quote:
As someone who has SOME knowledge of what’s in all three, I’d say this: Champions of Ruin essentially has nothing to do with the Waterdeep novel, and so can be read at any time (myself, I’d read it first, and let it stew in my forebrain until after the other two have been enjoyed, for campaign development later).

Since the next stage of my PS campaign (which is set to begin around the end of June/early July) will likely involve some elements of ancient fiends operating in the Realms, this may be unavoidable.

quote:
The Waterdeep game product faces the usual problem of WAY too much data to squeeze into too few pages. It MIGHT contain tiny spoilers for the novel, but if so, I’d guess they’ll be the sort that leap out at the reader as spoilers only AFTER they’ve read the novel.

I wouldn't have it any other way... .

quote:

So for me, it’d be Champions first, then the Waterdeep game product, and then, left until last and savoured, the Waterdeep novel. Ed has in the past confirmed that it’s a “romp” but also addresses serious issues, and has cameos by some big familiar faces but essentially centers around new characters - - and like most of us, the combo of Elaine and Ed is a must-see for me.

If I can delay my campaign plans, I can probably work it like that.

quote:

It just keeps getting better... .

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  03:33:46  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Elaine has spilled the beans in her thread

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  06:13:18  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I figured it out!

Wizards just doesn't play to be open for business that long.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  13:47:28  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

I wouldn't worry about Bob, he's going to do something. As for Elaine, I'd worry. Some of the comments she's made don't make me think things between her and Wizards are delicate.

Sorry I gave that impression. Sometimes questions come in clusters, and repeatedly addressing certain topics can create an impression that doesn't reflect the whole picture. For example, I seem to have been typing a lot of replies, on the forum and in email, to questions about "When will there be another (insert character name) story?" As I've said over and over, the current zeitgeist at WotC is a preference for new storylines with new characters. In some ways I would RATHER write stories about Elaith, Arilyn, Dan and Liriel, but I've gone with the program to create new characters for the Counselors & Kings trilogy, and the Waterdeep novel has a whole bunch of new, young, low-level characters. Since no one asks, "What NEW characters are you working with?" most of my answers run along the lines of, "Nope, not doing that," "Sorry, no plans for a sequel," and variations thereof.

I'm still working in the Realms. albeit not exclusively. I was asked to write a novella for the upcoming anthology. I'm writing a story and an article for DRAGON as tie-ins for the Waterdeep novel. At this time, however, I'm working on two other books and a handful of short stories.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  13:56:03  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK "What NEW characters are you working with?" ;-)

More so, what races are you working with, human, elves or others?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36794 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  14:31:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Dang, he beat me to the punch.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  14:31:31  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

Sorry I gave that impression.

For what it's worth, this scribe/reader never got that impression.

quote:

I'm still working in the Realms. albeit not exclusively. I was asked to write a novella for the upcoming anthology. I'm writing a story and an article for DRAGON as tie-ins for the Waterdeep novel. At this time, however, I'm working on two other books and a handful of short stories.

You sound quite busy and that's the impression I've always gotten from reading your postings here and elsewhere.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  14:33:58  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Somewhere on this forum, I want to say the author's thread, EC gave some brief information on a character or two from The Waterdeep novel. If I recall, the character mentioned was human. Other information on what EC is working with in other tomes could possibly be found on the author's blog.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000