Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 HELP: My players hate Cormyr
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dreaded_beast
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2004 :  22:59:16  Show Profile  Visit dreaded_beast's Homepage Send dreaded_beast a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm running an FR campaign for 2 players.

I've tried to portray them as a lawful and good country. However, with their abundance of laws, etc., my players have come to see them as more of a "thorn in their side" than allies. My players' characters are both Lawful Good, but they see Cormyr as the extreme.

I am a bit disappointed, since I see Cormyr as being the "good guys" who the PCs should turn to for help or as allies.

Any suggestions on how to make Cormyr more to their liking?

Beowulf
Learned Scribe

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2004 :  23:18:58  Show Profile  Visit Beowulf's Homepage Send Beowulf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dreaded_beast

I'm running an FR campaign for 2 players.

I've tried to portray them as a lawful and good country. However, with their abundance of laws, etc., my players have come to see them as more of a "thorn in their side" than allies. My players' characters are both Lawful Good, but they see Cormyr as the extreme.

I am a bit disappointed, since I see Cormyr as being the "good guys" who the PCs should turn to for help or as allies.

Ummm, break it in two, arm the citizenry, and make it abandon it's claims over the Tunlands?

"Ill tempered the wretch, who laughs at everyone. He cannot recognize, as he should, that he is not without faults." the High One, Poetic Edda
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2004 :  02:05:50  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Have Cormyr agents/officials assist them when the characters need it the most/are in some dire trouble.
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2004 :  07:23:04  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Make the laws in their favor. Have a friendly guide who will explain the ways and laws of the city and why they are good and favorable to the characters. Have the townspeople treat them with respect and admiration and have them go a little out of their way to help the characters (as long as the characters treat them well in return).

If some of the high class families find out about the characters quest perhaps they could even have a Purple Dragon Knight assigned to help them out.

Theres a Purple Dragon Knight here at Candlekeep who has sure helped me out a lot

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU

Edited by - Wood Elf Ranger on 16 Oct 2004 07:24:40
Go to Top of Page

Brother Ezra
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2004 :  16:31:53  Show Profile  Visit Brother Ezra's Homepage Send Brother Ezra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that one of the pitfalls of the current alignment model is the tendency to believe that if your character is a certain alignment, everyone you meet of the same alignment is automatically an ally, and perhaps even a friend. I try to remember that although my character may be lawful good, it is quite possible for him to disagree with another lawful good person (and possibly even dislike or detest him or her).

Cormyr is indeead a lawful good society. From the rulership's standpoint, this means that they will legislate laws that treat the citizenry with decency and kindness, and will order society in an organized, hierarchical way so that authority and responsibility is clearly delinieated. While a lawful good character may agree with the theory behind this, they may not agree with the execution of these philosophies, and may even chafe under them. That is to say, the idea might be good and noble, but the practice may be flawed.

I've rambled a bit; I hope this made some sense. It did in my head, at least.

"Suffering is the touchstone of all spiritual growth."
-St. Sollars the Twice-Martyred
Go to Top of Page

Capn Charlie
Senior Scribe

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2004 :  18:53:26  Show Profile  Visit Capn Charlie's Homepage Send Capn Charlie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My players had much the same feelings as yours when they came to cormyr, and adventured there. Fortunately, one characer was actually from cormyr, and so was an advocate for them, helping grease some of the wheels (he was an ex Purple Dragon who had moved to the private sector).

What you might try, as has been previously suggested, is introducing a Cormyrian party member to help them along, and try to explain some of the laws, and so forth, in a manner that bothers them less.

Consider having an NPC of some sort join them for a while, and travel with them. With a "local" to guide them through the paperwork and laws, they should have a lot fewer problems.

In my game, the players were chaotic down to a man, and since the players themselves were chaotic too... Well, let's just say that the adventuring laws in cormyr displeased them. Since they did not enjoy adventuring there with so many regulations, they moved on to greener pastures, as adventurers are wont to do.

If your players don't enjoy putting up with it all, and most importantly their characters dislike it, let them have the option to leave, perhaps let them adventure through the dragon coast region, and see what a boon the laws are.

Shadows of War: Tales of a Mercenary

My first stab at realms fiction, here at candlekeep. Stop on by and tell me what you think.

Edited by - Capn Charlie on 18 Oct 2004 20:26:19
Go to Top of Page

Lashan
Learned Scribe

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2004 :  17:09:11  Show Profile  Visit Lashan's Homepage Send Lashan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with the thoughts of allowing your party to leave if they want to. Personally, I hate DM in Cormyr just for all the rules and restrictions on the game. I will sometimes have my players move through Cormyr and exeprience the pain-in-the-....neck that it is.

I just hope your whole campaign isn't situated on being in Cormyr.
Go to Top of Page

Arnwyn
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2004 :  19:43:39  Show Profile  Visit Arnwyn's Homepage Send Arnwyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

However, with their abundance of laws, etc., my players have come to see them as more of a "thorn in their side" than allies. My players' characters are both Lawful Good, but they see Cormyr as the extreme.

Well... why do they see them as a "thorn in their side"? There must be pretty clear reasons for this. It would be helpful if you could elaborate.

It looks like they see "A", while you want "B".
quote:

Yes. Don't do what makes the players see "A".
Go to Top of Page

Forlorn
Seeker

59 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2004 :  21:17:29  Show Profile  Visit Forlorn's Homepage Send Forlorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Running a campaign in a lawful land is hard for dm than the players.
My players tend to act more chaotic and reckless about minor rules eventhough they are lawful because of they are not acustomed to the ways of a real lawful life.
In my recent game 2 of my players were in jail because of fighting in public (and they were fighting with each other) and one tried to escape the city after the city gates were closed and he was arrested after trying that in shadows ( because they also fought a group of bouncers in a respectable tavern and he feared to go to the prison), one of them was a paladin of Helm who make his companions arrested and he was trying to get control the young and talented mage of the group who was extremely out of control and making fun of the paladin all the time and finaly ended in the prison for being homeless and dangereous.
But that was the best session we had and I think that was because I let them play and eased the process of law for them with logical
explanation according to the scenerio and didn't make the law enforcers stupid but grim. I forced them to pay 10 gp or public service worth that much,one's backround was searched and saved by a naval captain and one sold his sword. The other didn't have nothing to sell and at the end of the session they were arguing about what to do (they should be going to resque a girl out of the city) because the paladin didn't let the convict who was unable to pay the fee.
If they cannot get out of this situation by themselves I will help them with respect to the scenerio, thus they won't be locked up in a situation but the game will stay realistic.
That's much too read but to conclude game is funner when the players have fun so make it fun by easing the process of law with realistic explanations and situations And after even being a renegade or a convict being a hero in the eyes of the order is a great satisfaciton for the players
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000