Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Music during the game
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2002 :  18:08:10  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Do you use music and could you tell what you use?
For me it's
-Midnight Syndicate
-Lord of the Ring soundtrack
-Gladiator soundtrack
-Era 1 & 2
-Instants Ardents 1 & 2

And remember, go to "Don't you know anything about Myth Drannor"
Can anyone answer this tough question?

The Defence Minister
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2002 :  19:10:31  Show Profile  Visit The Defence Minister's Homepage Send The Defence Minister a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dont use music very often as I find it can distract the players. Also, as often play in a club there are lots of other people around me playing Warhammer (a great, great game) and such like so it would disturb them.

When I do play music however, I like basic stuff that doesn't take away my players attention. Lord of the Rings sound track is perfect, so is the Star Wars soundtrack.

TDM

- TDM (Candlekeep's most popular, experienced and handsome member)
Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2002 :  20:15:40  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't use music but it is an entriguing idea...

I can see the mood enhancing properties it might have...

I would guess that instrumentals would be best maybe even some Joe Satriani.

I am interested in how many people do use music as well

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2002 :  21:43:59  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use quite often music in my games.
But i'd like to now exactly when i should put this song and not another. It's very hard because you have to know exactly what it sounds like and what feelings it gives to the player (for example i use the song of Enia from the LOTR sound track when a character is dying )
But i didn't really manage to really put the right songs when they are really needed... it demands to much work
I think the best thing is to play Mp3 with Mp3 lists named "battle", "rest", etc
Go to Top of Page

kellinjar
Acolyte

Canada
23 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2002 :  02:30:17  Show Profile  Visit kellinjar's Homepage Send kellinjar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is an interesting topic. Personally I don't really use it..but I have used it in the past. There are some little known boxed sets that most of you probably don't know about..but for the Mystara campaign setting there were several released with audio CDs... some tracks were music for play during the general games, other tracks were for story development, and general sounds like a skeleton dying etc...
Most of the CDs included some general battle music and mood music to play . The boxed sets themselves with the included adventures told you when to play the appropriate tracks, and even suggested certain battle/background music to use.
I have most of these Boxed sets, i'm missing just one and I'm in the process of winning it on Ebay now ;)
Go to Top of Page

Ditalidas
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
127 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2002 :  14:24:12  Show Profile  Visit Ditalidas's Homepage Send Ditalidas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I remember correctly there is a topic somewhere discussing music while gaming... let me see if I can locate it.

'All that is' is also 'All that is not' for the one cannot exist without the other.

Sweet Water and Light Laughter
Go to Top of Page

Ditalidas
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
127 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2002 :  14:39:31  Show Profile  Visit Ditalidas's Homepage Send Ditalidas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Found it!
http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=123

'All that is' is also 'All that is not' for the one cannot exist without the other.

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2002 :  14:44:25  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank u Ditalidas
I didn't know someone had alredy posted such a topic
Go to Top of Page

Ditalidas
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
127 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2002 :  14:50:57  Show Profile  Visit Ditalidas's Homepage Send Ditalidas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh, don't worry about it...If people restart a topic it means they still want to talk about it. And looking from the number of replies your topic got, I think there were more who had not seen the old one.

Go to Top of Page

Salius Kai
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2002 :  03:23:30  Show Profile  Visit Salius Kai's Homepage Send Salius Kai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seem to be constantly using music in my campaigns. But are music is a mix containing songs from Linkin Park, GreenDay, Matallica, Radio Head, all the good stuff. But we keep it down low and its generally lost in our conversations anyways. But as long as it dosn't disturb the players thinking, I don't see anything wrong with anykind of music.

"Welcome to these walls of infinite knowledge."

Salius Kai
Go to Top of Page

mastergeorge
Acolyte

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2003 :  23:21:16  Show Profile  Visit mastergeorge's Homepage Send mastergeorge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've toyed with the idea of using music in my campaign, but am keeping away from it for the moment, because the campaign is in a very early stage. There is little doubt that i will try music at somepoint. I personally think that the Lord of the Rings soundtrack is perfect, as it tunes for most situations that you would need it. The two towers music is even better.

If you were lucky enough to get a copy of the collectors edition of Baldurs Gate 2, then you will have a copy of the Baldurs Gate soundtrack, which is even more perfect.

Overall, a good idea, try it out, see what your players think, and if it works, stick with it.

--mastergeorge

"And in his death he shall spawn a score of mortal prodgeny, so sayeth the wise Alaundo."

--Predictions of Alaundo concerning the time of troubles.
Go to Top of Page

Drizzt Do Urden
Acolyte

Netherlands
33 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2003 :  00:45:03  Show Profile  Visit Drizzt Do Urden's Homepage Send Drizzt Do Urden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice music to use is Movie Music (Gladiator / LOTR, TTT) and some {Fantasy}Metal like Blind Guardian / Iced Earth...
I think Gothic Metal suits well to (Nightwish, After Forever, Within Temptation) The last two are Dutch Bands, the First is Swedish (so i believe)

I think some new age songs from Enya and Enigma are working as well...

Once the Menzoberrenzan Drow run away from the Drow Practices in other cities. Then they settled Menzoberrenzan, and prayed to there evil and mad godess Lolth, the Spider Queen. Then they turned the same way has there far away cousins (isn't that ironic)

Bless Mielikki, and the good people of the Realms

Edited by - Drizzt Do Urden on 04 Jan 2003 00:53:18
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2003 :  09:17:49  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Within Temptation... yes!! Great background music and intrigueing lyrics. They have provided me with adventure ideas even...

Celtic oriented music from Clannad, Enya, The Corrs, Mary Balck etc is also suitable, depending on the mood/style of play
Go to Top of Page

Frey
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2003 :  22:08:29  Show Profile  Visit Frey's Homepage Send Frey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, did I mention Pink Floyd yet ;) ?

well, I guess most music with longer songs and touching the mood may do. Longer songs, so the mood won't change too soon. And I wouldn't want my DM running to the CD-player continuesly.
I think it to be preferable using lyricless music mostly (as in instrumental or with uncomprohendable (sp?) text).

- Imagine ... there's no imagination. -

(remember Frey is just a PC)
Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2003 :  21:38:18  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Midnight Syndicate sounds good, as does any "fantasy Metal" sung in a language I don't understand. I don't think I could concentrate with english lyrics in the background, though.
Go to Top of Page

Cherrn
Learned Scribe

Denmark
323 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2003 :  18:02:06  Show Profile Send Cherrn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Record of the Lodoss War (Anime) and

Lord of the Rings I and II

Damn nice really adds to the rpg mood :)

A wise man from Calimport once told me: "If a merchant puts sand in the flask of oil he's trying to sell you, then he isn't trying to sell you sand..."
Go to Top of Page

sabre
Acolyte

Turkey
47 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2003 :  07:52:37  Show Profile Send sabre a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always use music it is a "must"...
Ý used to play conan,crouching tiger hidden dragon,and other middle age sounds as well as baldur's gate themes but in these times
i try electronic music for combat scenes.techno house or ,just techno or hard-core.Ýt is great i advice u to try at least once...
especially matrix themes and rock themes for inspiring courage.

sabre
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2003 :  04:24:05  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My group always uses music when we game. Because the GM's for our group (myself and my friend Duane) usually have an actual spoken narrative at times, we try to find music that fits the given scenario. Some of the music we've used in the past includes, but is not limited to, the following:

The Sojourn CD (http://www.sojourncd.com)
PC Game soundtracks (Neverwinter Nights, Icewind Dale, Etc.)
Various movie soundtracks (LOTR, Conan, Blade Runner, etc.)
Various rock/progressive cd's (YES, Rick Wakeman, etc)

IMHO - Music should not be an end in itself. If it enhances the game and story, sets a mood, and evokes an emotional response in the players for the given moment in the game, then it definitely has its place.

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2003 :  04:37:06  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Salius Kai

I seem to be constantly using music in my campaigns. But are music is a mix containing songs from Linkin Park, GreenDay, Matallica, Radio Head, all the good stuff. But we keep it down low and its generally lost in our conversations anyways. But as long as it dosn't disturb the players thinking, I don't see anything wrong with anykind of music.

It seems to me that you use music more for backgound noise than for enhancing the game, which is cool if you play like that. I prefer the music to be an intregal part of the game itself, where it sets a mood or helps evoke an image or an emotion.
My group uses music to do just that. We think of our campigns as an ongoing novel or movie, and we use the music to be a 'soundtrack' for them. If it isn't used in that way, then you might as well be listening to the radio or have the TV on.
IMHO anyway.

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2003 :  18:12:52  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Music Is Distracting!

IT SHALL NOT BE PERMITTED!!

SO HAVE I SPOKEN, SO IT SHALL BE!!!

(in jest)
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2003 :  18:17:47  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yasraena

quote:

It seems to me that you use music more for backgound noise than for enhancing the game, which is cool if you play like that. I prefer the music to be an intregal part of the game itself, where it sets a mood or helps evoke an image or an emotion.
My group uses music to do just that. We think of our campigns as an ongoing novel or movie, and we use the music to be a 'soundtrack' for them. If it isn't used in that way, then you might as well be listening to the radio or have the TV on.
IMHO anyway.

I don't define the musics Salius said as noise! If you don't like, it's you're choice.

And branmakmuffin, this kind of posting make me think of someone...
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2003 :  08:26:59  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zemd

quote:

quote:

IMHO anyway.

I don't define the musics Salius said as noise! If you don't like, it's you're choice.

And branmakmuffin, this kind of posting make me think of someone...

I never said they were noise! That would be blasphemy coming from someone who's been a semi-pro musician for over 20 years. It's just that those bands don't exactly elicit visions of high fantasy, you know? And from what Salius said in his post - "we keep it down low and its generally lost in our conversations anyways" - it sounds like he uses music mainly for background noise; like having the TV on while doing housework or something similar. But, as you said, 'To each his own.' Sorry if I rankled anyone with that.
Oh, and BTW - the quote should be "So let it be written, so let it be done!" Does that spark the 'ol memory cells Zemd?

Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2003 :  13:13:23  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh, and BTW - the quote should be "So let it be written, so let it be done!" Does that spark the 'ol memory cells Zemd? [/purple][/font=Tahoma]

Maybe i upset myself a little bit too quickly.
And i don't have a clue of what you are telling, sorry
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2003 :  18:24:38  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
zemd:

>And branmakmuffin, this kind of posting make me think of someone...

I certainly don't know who, especially if it's some regular on this forum. I haven't been around long enough to even begin to figure out the on-line personalities of more than a couple of folks.

I wasn't joking about the distracting part. I tried music once, and it made us either laugh, or want to stop playing and listen to the music.
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2003 :  22:55:09  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by branmakmuffin

zemd:

>And branmakmuffin, this kind of posting make me think of someone...

I certainly don't know who, especially if it's some regular on this forum. I haven't been around long enough to even begin to figure out the on-line personalities of more than a couple of folks.

I wasn't joking about the distracting part. I tried music once, and it made us either laugh, or want to stop playing and listen to the music.

THAT'S what i call an answer, you said WHY you didn't use music. That's the point after all, to answer and to say why.
I was refering to a former scribe, it was not a compliment, but reading your other posts, i see you are far from being one of his kind
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2003 :  03:18:26  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zemd

quote:

Oh, and BTW - the quote should be "So let it be written, so let it be done!" Does that spark the 'ol memory cells Zemd? [/purple][/font=Tahoma]

Maybe i upset myself a little bit too quickly.
And i don't have a clue of what you are telling, sorry

D'oh! Took that one TOTALLY out of context. With Branmakmuffin's quote (it was so close) I thought you were refering to Yul Bryner from The Ten Commandments, not another scribe.

Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2003 :  16:52:15  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check this out from www.midnightsyndicate.com

"Midnight Syndicate to release official Dungeons & Dragons* roleplaying soundtrack CD. Midnight Syndicate will be teaming up with Wizards of the Coast to create the official soundtrack to the classic roleplaying game Dungeons & Dragons.* Scheduled for release in August 2003, this CD will take listeners on a journey into the world of dragons, ancient underground temples, mystical forests, dark knights, and sorcery. "We've been planning on doing an epic fantasy disc for some time now, " says Edward Douglas, "and a few ideas were sketched out as early as the Born of the Night sessions. We're really looking forward to this. It will offer fans something different without straying too far from what they've come to expect from a Midnight Syndicate release. We're working closely with the game designers at Wizard of the Coast so fans of Dungeons & Dragons* will find it a great and easy way to enhance their gaming experience."

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"

Edited by - Lord Rad on 29 Mar 2003 14:08:35
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2003 :  21:28:51  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great, i especially like the Born of the Night album.
err, the link doesn't work right now, do you know if there'll be FR music (like "Myth Drannor Knights' arrival")
Go to Top of Page

Lazerrus
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2003 :  06:27:35  Show Profile  Visit Lazerrus's Homepage Send Lazerrus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good pics Drizzt but you left out Rhapsody, Avantasia, Hammerfall, etc
quote:
Originally posted by Drizzt Do Urden

Nice music to use is Movie Music (Gladiator / LOTR, TTT) and some {Fantasy}Metal like Blind Guardian / Iced Earth...
I think Gothic Metal suits well to (Nightwish, After Forever, Within Temptation) The last two are Dutch Bands, the First is Swedish (so i believe)

I think some new age songs from Enya and Enigma are working as well...

If it be the will of Corellon, It shall be done!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2003 :  20:05:14  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dont know if its in the stores yet, but there is an advert for the D&D soundtrack CD by Midnight Syndicate! Anyone got a copy yet to give a review?

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2003 :  21:30:20  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since it's not scheduled for release until the 5th, I'd guess not Rad.
Buuuut, you can download 2 tracks from it over at MP3.com, which I am doing as I write this.
Will post again with my thoughts on both......

I hadn't heard any of Midnight Syndicate's music before this, and I must say I'm impressed.
The two tracks are called 'Heroes Valour' and 'Descent Into The Depths' respectively.

The first track definitely elicites visions of battle/armies marching to war/dread battlefields/etc. An extremely moody piece which would be perfect for the beginning of a battle.

The second track isn't titled corrrectly (IMO anyway) in that it brings to mind an evil keep or castle that is just impenetrable, with towering buttresses and made of black stone, with an evil warlord watching as his army marches into it, instead of descending into a dungeon or something. At least that's what I saw while listening to it. You might get a different vision.

Regardless, both are great pieces if you want some music to be a part of your game. I highly reccomend checking them out!

Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon

Edited by - Yasraena on 03 Aug 2003 22:16:20
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000