Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Random Encounters
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2004 :  18:26:41  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Are there any good resources for random encounters out there on the net? Netbook, generators etc?

Thanks

B

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2004 :  20:47:15  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The best source of 3.0/3.5 FR encounters is the FR "Dungeon Masters Screen"

It really describe all the regions of Faerun and what you will encounter there, including Dungeon Level tables. Silver Marces, Unapproachable East, and Underdark books also all sport encounter tables specifically designed for their respective regions.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2004 :  22:43:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Wizards website does a Random Encounters feature. It's not tables, it's more like rough mini-adventures.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Talwyn
Learned Scribe

Australia
222 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2004 :  07:16:23  Show Profile  Visit Talwyn's Homepage Send Talwyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always thought that as a DM, you should try to stay well away from random encounters or at least re-jig the tables to suit your purposes. Otherwise you end up with all sorts of weird monsters cropping up where they shouldn't really be. but that's just my 2 CP worth

Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on.
Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun.
EAT LEADEN DEATH DEMON!
Terry Pratchett

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2004 :  09:07:25  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Talwyn

I've always thought that as a DM, you should try to stay well away from random encounters or at least re-jig the tables to suit your purposes. Otherwise you end up with all sorts of weird monsters cropping up where they shouldn't really be. but that's just my 2 CP worth

I'll throw 2CP in with that too I never use random enounters, I always plan encounters ahead and use whichever creatures I see suitable.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Jerard Doonsay
Seeker

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2004 :  13:49:05  Show Profile  Visit Jerard Doonsay's Homepage Send Jerard Doonsay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I only use random encounters on long traveling excursions that i'm too lazy to plan out. Planned battles are so much better.

May history live forever in the writings and stories of those who wish to tell them.

Please come and enjoy my website http://ferien.aribytes.org
Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2004 :  21:20:03  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...another 2cp´s...

i sometimes "fake" random encounters: i roll dice, browse a few minutes through the monstrous compendium(1) and then... let my players encounter whatever i carefully prepared the day before, neatly fitting into my campaign (future recurring enemies, npc´s that later turn out to belong to one pc´s past, etc...).

the key is not letting your players guess the fake, so don´t do it too often.

(1) only when it doesn´t interrupt the game. sometimes my players joke around and have a hard time getting in-character; that are usually the situations where "faking a random encounter" works best.
Go to Top of Page

Capn Charlie
Senior Scribe

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2004 :  13:16:14  Show Profile  Visit Capn Charlie's Homepage Send Capn Charlie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So far I have rarely if ever used a random encounter table straight, and usually don't stick to whatever I rolled up on them anyway, which left the rolling of the dice for it in the first place a hollow action at best.

I must admit to using random encounter tables scarcely if ever, though I *do* particularly enjoy pre generated encounters, which I not only find interesting to read for inspiration and enjoyment, but will occasionally just drop into my game.

I look at including anything in my game as a matter of it's quality, not a matter of me having made it or not, and thus use published adventures(usually heavily modified) and some pregenerated encounters. For the first couple years of my FR game I used primarily published adventures, most not intended for the realms, that I "realmsified" and altered to my tastes, as that task was much shorter than creating them whole cloth myself, and I had limited time t odevote to the campaign.

I would think a list of pregenerated encounters, (including NPCs, scenarios, traps, puzzles, and minor towns) done by people here at the keep would be very handy to have about, if for no other purpose than inspiration and enjoyable reading.

Shadows of War: Tales of a Mercenary

My first stab at realms fiction, here at candlekeep. Stop on by and tell me what you think.

Edited by - Capn Charlie on 29 Sep 2004 13:18:41
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2004 :  19:13:00  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there a random encounter generator somewhere online (or maybe within these very halls...)?

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000