Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Worlds of D&D
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2004 :  10:45:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
At Alaundo's request, I've opened this scroll to discuss the upcoming opening of a portal here at Candlekeep which will allow scribes to enter a new library where settings other than FR can be discussed.

My thoughts on the matter are that this new library will likely be a demi-plane, which has some permanent connection with Candlekeep via a stable portal through the Astral Plane.

Edited by - Alaundo on 13 Dec 2004 23:31:47

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2004 :  10:48:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's what Alaundo has revealed so far (Master Sage, please forgive the resposting of your comments here, but I thought it would be easier for scribes to know about what you've talked about elsewhere) -

quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo
Well met

Be hereby forewarned that I will be shelving this scroll to the archives soon.

::waits for the mixed groans and cheers to die down::

Worry ye not, O' fans of Eberron.....for I will be telling thee of a portal, a portal where ye may speak of...not only Eberron, but of Krynn, the Domain of Dread, Oerth...and many other places.

Of course, remember fair old Candlekeep when thee ventures forth....

quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by The Sage

Interesting...

Tell me, o' grand Master Sage... How long must we await details for this new portal?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well met, Sage.

Somehow, I knew thee would be hot on the response
To answer your question... I will be announcing such within the next tenday.

However, unfortunately, this new location will not be compatible with Candlekeep. Therefore, you must create a new member account in order to participate. It has merely been created to allow discussion of more generic D&D and other campaign worlds (current and previous). There WILL be an area for the Forgotten Realms, however, it will not contain extensive categories such as we have here in Candlekeep and is more a location for visitors who do not visit Candlekeep or wish to discuss the Realms in such depth.

::hears the scramble of many feet and the Scribes run from the library and out through the doors::

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2004 :  10:49:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And the rest -
quote:
quote:

Exciting news indeed... Thank you Alaundo, for the details .

I have another question however... Will this new realm have the same moderators as here at Candlekeep?

Well met

I will be making an appearance as a moderator. We will likely be recruiting other moderators (by invitation only) at a later date.

On this note, recruitment of moderators herein at Candlekeep will also be taking place very shortly.

quote:
quote:

Okay, so to keep this scroll (slightly) related to it's current topic...

Will this new portal have separate sections for each campaign setting (styled like that at WotC) like Eberron, or will it be just one mass jumble, like the roiling chaos at the heart of Limbo?

Well met

::chuckle::
There will be a general D&D section split into various categories to discuss the core rules etc. Each active campaign setting (FR, DL, EB, RL) will have a section, within which will be three sections to discuss general gaming, products and novels. Other campaign settings such as Planescape, Al-Qadim, Dark Sun etc. will have a single section within an "other worlds" category.

To summarize, there will be six main sections: D&D, Forgotten Realms, Eberron, Ravenloft, Dragonlance, Other Worlds.

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2004 :  11:04:12  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Thank ye, Sage

Indeed, this new location will provide you with areas to discuss all other D&D worlds as well as the core rules. However, this does not mean that core rules speak is not permitted herein at Candlekeep - after all, without the rules there would be no gaming!

Also, as mentioned previously, I would prefer to keep Candlekeep as your depository for Realmslore. The Realms section within the new location is primarily for new visitors...although obviously feel free to share any information with them which they may request (or point them to the relevant scroll here in Candlekeep).

Hoepfully this new place will release some of the pressures of wanting to discuss your other favorite worlds

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2004 :  12:39:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Will the aforementioned "Other Worlds" category also allow for discussion about the various Alternity settings? For example, such sci-fi settings as Dark Matter and Gamma World?

Go to Top of Page

The Wanderer
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2004 :  12:43:02  Show Profile  Visit The Wanderer's Homepage Send The Wanderer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am quite excited by the news of this new portal. I have always seen Aber-Toril as part of a larger whole and will enjoy very much the opportunity to explore these other parts with my fellow scribes. I'm especially looking forward to DarkSun, Planescape, and Ravenloft.

The Wanderer
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2004 :  12:45:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, what about the profile avatars?

Will there be any new images added to the archive, or will the same images that are the standard here at Candlekeep, still be available for the new user accounts in this new library?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2004 :  12:49:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Anubis

I am quite excited by the news of this new portal. I have always seen Aber-Toril as part of a larger whole and will enjoy very much the opportunity to explore these other parts with my fellow scribes. I'm especially looking forward to DarkSun, Planescape, and Ravenloft.

Ah. I've found another DS fan that I will likely be able to chat with then, once the portal is opened. Like DL, DS was the other setting that I thought I would be lefting talking to myself about. Yah!!!

Of course, I've only believed this simply because unlike most of the other settings that are regularly mentioned in discussion here at Candlekeep like PS and RL, DS appears to be the least talked about...

Go to Top of Page

The Wanderer
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2004 :  13:07:36  Show Profile  Visit The Wanderer's Homepage Send The Wanderer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Ah. I've found another DS fan that I will likely be able to chat with then, once the portal is opened. Like DL, DS was the other setting that I thought I would be lefting talking to myself about. Yah!!!

I will be most happy to talk your ear off about DS, Sage. . ( I can already feel the questions burning, but I will defer them until Planekeep (/nod Bookwyrm) is open).

I've spent a long time under the unforgiving Athasian sun and greatly enjoyed my time there. In fact, this particular world was home to some of my favorite Player Characters. The DM was very dedicated to this particular setting and we really delved deep into its history. I was very dissapointed when WotC decided to discontinue it's support for it.

The Wanderer
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2004 :  13:13:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are aware then, of athas.org's exceptional efforts to bring DS into the 3.5e environment?

Go to Top of Page

The Wanderer
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2004 :  13:26:44  Show Profile  Visit The Wanderer's Homepage Send The Wanderer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I most certainly am . In fact, I ran across this particular portal only a few weeks back and have been reading up on what they have been doing. I'm glad to see that someone has taken it upon themselves to keep this world alive. I'm hoping to eventually see some of the history of Athas on their site. I've always been curious about both the Blue and Green ages.

P.S. What is that halfling's name!?! (created the Champions)

P.P.S. I wish RL would have as active a website as this one

The Wanderer

Edited by - The Wanderer on 20 Jul 2004 13:31:18
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2004 :  13:34:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
P.P.S. I wish RL would have as active a website as this one

Err... the Fraternity of Shadows is now the most active RL site on the web. It take over when Valaki (the Kargatane) burnt down on Halloween last year.

I'm over on that forum as well. Hope to see you there...

Go to Top of Page

The Wanderer
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2004 :  13:48:05  Show Profile  Visit The Wanderer's Homepage Send The Wanderer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Err... the Fraternity of Shadows is now the most active RL site on the web. It take over when Valaki (the Kargatane) burnt down on Halloween last year.

I'm over on that forum as well. Hope to see you there...

Doh! For someone who really, really likes RL I guess I should have seen that site. Only one I knew about was the Kargatene site which has closed. I'll definetly take a look at this website.

The Wanderer
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2004 :  15:21:39  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Will the aforementioned "Other Worlds" category also allow for discussion about the various Alternity settings? For example, such sci-fi settings as Dark Matter and Gamma World?

Well met

Alas, no, Sage. It will only contain D&D campaigns: Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, Ravenloft, Eberron, Greyhawk, Planescape, Dark Sun, Al-Qadim, Spelljammer and Mystara.

I believe (although I may be wrong) that Gamma World used a different rules sytem? As did Dark Matter.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2004 :  15:25:09  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, you did mention an "Other" section, so I assume that all d20 campaigns are allowed, not just the D&D ones?

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2004 :  15:34:23  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Also, what about the profile avatars?

Will there be any new images added to the archive, or will the same images that are the standard here at Candlekeep, still be available for the new user accounts in this new library?

Well met

Be not confused with the connections between Candlekeep and this new location. Candlekeep does not have complete control over the new location and only acts in joint management with another party. However, you may use your existing avatars as they appear here on Candlekeep if you wish. A facility will be in place to allow you to upload your own avatar (No Pokemon...please, I beg of thee ).

This new forum will NOT be an extension of Candlekeep and should be treated as completely seperate. Whilst I can help thee with any issues you may have on the other forum, it does not abide by the same rules as here in Candlekeep. In fact, the only similarity with the new forum and Candlekeep - is that I will be there as moderator (along with others)

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2004 :  15:40:35  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Well, you did mention an "Other" section, so I assume that all d20 campaigns are allowed, not just the D&D ones?

Well met

When mentioning "Other", this refers to "Other Worlds" - being Other D&D worlds by TSR\WotC....initially anyway. We wish to concentrate on the known D&D settings rather than have d20 involved and run away with us.

Theres no pleasing some folk

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2004 :  15:48:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Of course, I've only believed this simply because unlike most of the other settings that are regularly mentioned in discussion here at Candlekeep like PS and RL, DS appears to be the least talked about...

Well, part of the reason for that could be the fact that Athas is so different from Toril or any other setting... Or it could be the fact that, unlike Krynn, Oerth, the planes, or wildspace, there's no easy way to get there.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2004 :  16:23:39  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
When mentioning "Other", this refers to "Other Worlds" - being Other D&D worlds by TSR\WotC....initially anyway. We wish to concentrate on the known D&D settings rather than have d20 involved and run away with us.

True. Sorry to all the Midnight or Dawnforge fans out there.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2004 :  16:33:17  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, I am a dragon. We're known for our greedy nature.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2004 :  22:59:13  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even a generic D&D board away from the Coast will be good. Too many halflings hang out there.
I like to incorporate rules that I like into my Realms games, but not everything works. Now the Candlekeep gang can port over to the other site to discuss other items of interest without incurring the wrath of Alaundo and Tethtoril.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2004 :  00:40:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hammer of Moradin

Even a generic D&D board away from the Coast will be good. Too many halflings hang out there.
I like to incorporate rules that I like into my Realms games, but not everything works. Now the Candlekeep gang can port over to the other site to discuss other items of interest without incurring the wrath of Alaundo and Tethtoril.

Oh, we'll just have to find new ways of incurring their wrath!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2004 :  09:01:27  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Well met

Oh thou needest not try too hard, Wooly Rupert to incurr our wrath

....and ye, hammer of Moradin... bear in mind that I will still have my Staff of the Irritated Moderator +5 to hand, should thee even think of running amok

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2004 :  10:01:59  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo:

...bear in mind that I will still have my Staff of the Irritated Moderator +5 to hand, should thee even think of running amok.
If you want I could tweak the enchantments an make it a Staff of the Irritated Moderator +10 (Now with Mazing!)...of course that might be copyright infrigment...

Let me first say, this is a great idea. Whoever came up with it deserves a cookie, one of those big ones, with almonds and chocolate chips...mmmmm...coookie. Seriously, I have always wanted to swap stories about my planar adventures with the Scribes of Candlekeep, but I am always afraid of incurring Alaundo's wrath, and there are three beings in the multiverse I've learned not to cross 1. Alaundo, 2. The Lady, and 3. a certain Arcanaloth, who I shall leave nameless. Not that I think Alaundo is wrathful or anything, he's the greatest moderator there is, in the whole universe, bar none, without exception...

Can I stop now?
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage:

Like DL, DS was the other setting that I thought I would be left talking to myself about.
Well, Dark Sun fan here too. If it's a campaign setting made by TSR/WOTC, chances are I own every book from it and have played in it extensively. The only exception is Spelljammer which earned nothing but ill will amongst my D&D group, don't ask why.
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo:

Alas, no, Sage. It will only contain D&D campaigns: Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, Ravenloft, Eberron, Greyhawk, Planescape, Dark Sun, Al-Qadim, Spelljammer and Mystara.
Does that mean Kara-Tur is excluded?

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page

The Wanderer
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2004 :  12:41:38  Show Profile  Visit The Wanderer's Homepage Send The Wanderer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Edain Shadowstar

[quote]Originally posted by Alaundo:
Does that mean Kara-Tur is excluded?

Kara-Tur is actually loacted on the Far Eastern reaches of Toril. Therefore it is included in the scope of Candlekeep, although given its distance we do not hear much about it.

The Wanderer

Edited by - The Wanderer on 21 Jul 2004 12:43:33
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2004 :  14:32:01  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Well met

Oh thou needest not try too hard, Wooly Rupert to incurr our wrath

....and ye, hammer of Moradin... bear in mind that I will still have my Staff of the Irritated Moderator +5 to hand, should thee even think of running amok

Will your staff travel with you across the portal? There has to be somewhere in the planes I can hide if need be.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2004 :  14:45:45  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Kara-Tur is actually loacted on the Far Eastern reaches of Toril. Therefore it is included in the scope of Candlekeep, although given its distance we do not hear much about it.

That fact plus, when was the last time a published product focused on that area?
Go to Top of Page

Strahd Von Zarovich
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2004 :  15:21:56  Show Profile  Visit Strahd Von Zarovich's Homepage Send Strahd Von Zarovich a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I have been sitting back and listening to all your comments, and I have decided to step through the mists.

This new portal is a creation born out of both darkness and great magic.

It has been a plan of mine to make this meeting place where beings from all planes of existence can converge.

To put you out of your misery the portal will open on Friday night.

Most of your questions have been answered by Alaundo, but I will tell you that I am currently working a powerful spell which will allow you to teleport your portrait across the planes and use it as an 'Avatar'.

In the meantime I will be glad to answer your questions here, while Alaundo and I tap the weave to make it all work.

Regards
Strahd Von Zarovich

Strahd Von Zarovich

Alaundo and I invite fans of everything D&D to join us!
http://www.worldsofdnd.com

Edited by - Strahd Von Zarovich on 21 Jul 2004 15:38:48
Go to Top of Page

Strahd Von Zarovich
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2004 :  16:30:39  Show Profile  Visit Strahd Von Zarovich's Homepage Send Strahd Von Zarovich a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Friday night? AARGHH! Why did you have to make the anticipation STRONGER?
*starts tearing hair out*

It takes great magic to pull these worlds together, and it was Alaundo himself that prophesised the date when it shall be complete.

The portal was originally designed to only bring together beings who wanted to dicuss these 'Other Worlds', but as time went on Alaundo and I realised that we had stumbled upon something very special indeed. And thus we went about researching new arcane ways of bringing you news from these worlds.

So far there are Twenty Four of these so called portals where you will enter discussion. And it has taken great power to set these up.

If these portal become a success then more and more areas will grow, and it will become an archive of resources.

And maybe, just maybe I will find a way to forever leave this domain in which I am imprisoned.

Regards

Strahd Von Zarovich

Strahd Von Zarovich

Go to Top of Page

AlacLuin
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2004 :  17:49:32  Show Profile  Visit AlacLuin's Homepage Send AlacLuin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Strahd Von Zarovich
And maybe, just maybe I will find a way to forever leave this domain in which I am imprisoned.

Regards

Strahd Von Zarovich

Um, does Alaundo know that he may be working to release a vampire on the wider worlds?
Is that Oghma like demeanor just a facade?
Go to Top of Page

Strahd Von Zarovich
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2004 :  17:54:00  Show Profile  Visit Strahd Von Zarovich's Homepage Send Strahd Von Zarovich a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlacLuin

Um, does Alaundo know that he may be working to release a vampire on the wider worlds?
Is that Oghma like demeanor just a facade?

Well I have come to find that your Alaundo has a darker side than any of you would expect.

And I am not the beast you imagine

Regards

Strahd

Strahd Von Zarovich

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000