Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Worlds of D&D
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2004 :  17:59:31  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hammer of Moradin

Can we get an "index" of these portals? Sorry, can't wait.

Well met

Alas, we cannot reveal such secrets, my dear hammer of Moradin However, rest assured that there will be a section to cater for all tastes, whatever your favorite campaign setting.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2004 :  18:01:14  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlacLuin

quote:
Originally posted by Strahd Von Zarovich
And maybe, just maybe I will find a way to forever leave this domain in which I am imprisoned.

Regards

Strahd Von Zarovich

Um, does Alaundo know that he may be working to release a vampire on the wider worlds?
Is that Oghma like demeanor just a facade?

Well met

Oh fear not, AlacLuin, for my Staff of the Irritated Moderator +5 also doubles up as a nice wooden stake, should it deem necessary

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2004 :  18:11:15  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To clarify:

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis:

Kara-Tur is actually loacted on the Far Eastern reaches of Toril. Therefore it is included in the scope of Candlekeep, although given its distance we do not hear much about it.
Of this fact I am well aware, however Kara-Tur, like Al-Qadim, while intended to take place on Toril, both were designed so that you could drop them into another campaign setting if you so desired. Kara-Tur is technically part of the Oriental Adventures rules if I remember correctly, where as Zakhara, the Land of Fate, also part of Toril is part of the Al-Qadim Setting. Therefore it is reasonable to assume that since both places (Kara-Tur and Zakhara) use rules somewhat removed from the standard play, and largely removed from the Realms, that if one (Al-Qadim) is considered separate than so might Kara-Tur, by abstract, since it too employs a different style setting.
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack:

That fact plus, when was the last time a published product focused on that area?
Since when has that made a difference as to a campaign setting's validity as a disscussion topic?

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2004 :  18:16:09  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Al-Qadim will have a section within the new forum. Kara-Tur is treated as part of the Forgotten Realms campaign setting rather than having a devoted campaign setting (since its products still bear a Forgotten Realms logo).

Kara-Tur may be (and has been) discussed herein at Candlekeep. Al-Qadim has also always been permitted herein ever since it was recognised that Zakhara is located on Toril, but to keep campaign setting devotions, as stated - Al-Qadim will have a dedicated section.

Maybe i've confused matters moreso?!

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2004 :  21:08:49  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We wonder... Looking over this scroll we noticed the earlier mention of 'Otherworlds' and wonder if this shalt contain some things from the "Call of Cthulhu" game? If so how please we shalt be if not.... then why not J/K

However we hath seen mention that some Worship Cthulhu as Tulu or Tluhluh... so would this make him part of the generic catagory or otherwise?

Yes, we art always kicking up dust, and making a 'muckery' of things

Edited by - The Cardinal on 21 Jul 2004 21:20:05
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2004 :  09:09:21  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i'll try to sum up to make sure i understood.
There will be a new forum but apart from Candlekeep but we'll only be able to discuss about WOTC products? If that is, i think it's a pity, regarding the books wotc has released lately, i think that some editors deserve our interest (yes, i think about midnight, the Scarred Lands,...)
I'll wait until friday
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2004 :  09:27:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zemd

Well i'll try to sum up to make sure i understood.
There will be a new forum but apart from Candlekeep but we'll only be able to discuss about WOTC products? If that is, i think it's a pity, regarding the books wotc has released lately, i think that some editors deserve our interest (yes, i think about midnight, the Scarred Lands,...)
I'll wait until friday

Yeah, but there's a lot of stuff to talk about that isn't recent. Ravenloft, Mystara, Spelljammer, Dark Sun, Birthright... All of those are former WotC/TSR worlds, and it looks like the new forums will be about those and others. So The Sage with his gazillion Planescape books will be able to talk about the planes, and I with my collection of all the Spelljammer stuff will be able to talk about the joys of wildspace.

It's all good, thinks I.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2004 :  09:47:18  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never said it was a bad thing!

But ... maybe there will be too much to say.
I must make myself clear, what i mean is that if you look at what we write just ONLY for the Forgotten Realms, think about what it'll represent . It could be better to make planekeep the portal to ohter minor places that will contain specific campaing settings lores...

Just a thought, but i'm really thrilled about this new forum
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2004 :  11:16:54  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Only D&D campaign settings, using the D&D and old AD&D rules will be used. The forum is primarily to allow discussion of the older campaign settings (I know how some of ye like to talk and talk about Spelljammer, Planescape et al ). Obviously, we have included sections for currently active campaigns for completeness and to allow discussions of this new Eberron place everyone keeps harping on about . The Forgotten Realms area on the new forum is by no means a replacement for Candlekeep. Candlekeep is still your primary location for Realmslore, the new forum contains an FR section for new members who don't have the same Realms dedication as you fellow Scribes
If you have no interest in other campaign settings then you will find the forum of little use to you.

Just to clarify, this new forum is NOT directly associated with Candlekeep. We at Candlekeep do not own the forum but have admin rights and moderator roles within, so can more than assist you in your venture, should you wish to visit the new forum.

Alaundo

Edited by - Alaundo on 22 Jul 2004 11:20:41
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2004 :  11:24:44  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If only this forum had been created one year before! My players went to Sigil and i had to create everything from "manual of the planes".
As well as Ravenloft, i still don't know what happened during the 2nd Ed to 3E conversion. i know how it was and how it is, but not how it happened . My questions will have to wait
Go to Top of Page

The Wanderer
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2004 :  12:49:15  Show Profile  Visit The Wanderer's Homepage Send The Wanderer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zemd
As well as Ravenloft, i still don't know what happened during the 2nd Ed to 3E conversion. i know how it was and how it is, but not how it happened . My questions will have to wait

If you are speaking about the changes the land suffered during this time, you should pick up the "Grim Harvest" adventure modules. There are three of them: Death Unchained, Death Ascendant, Requiem: The Grim Harvest. It is a great story to play. Lord of the Necropolis also gives some details about what happened, but is considered non-canon.

The Wanderer

Edited by - The Wanderer on 22 Jul 2004 12:50:36
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2004 :  03:25:47  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Will the aforementioned "Other Worlds" category also allow for discussion about the various Alternity settings? For example, such sci-fi settings as Dark Matter and Gamma World?

Well met

Alas, no, Sage. It will only contain D&D campaigns: Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, Ravenloft, Eberron, Greyhawk, Planescape, Dark Sun, Al-Qadim, Spelljammer and Mystara.

I believe (although I may be wrong) that Gamma World used a different rules sytem? As did Dark Matter.

Gamma World has indeed been reprinted, by Swords and Sorcery. Although, it uses the standard d20 system. Does this mean that discussion about Nuclear Earth is now possible?

Also, what about the 2e Masque of the Red Death setting? That was a TSR 2e game, and, it is also receiving an update to 3e in October. Will discussion about this setting also be allowed?

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2004 :  10:24:08  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

::slaps The Sage's wrist for peeking at personal scrolls::

Indeed, I am pleased to announce that the gates to the Worlds of D&D are now open

I hope you enjoy your stay therein (now I finally have somewhere to send the Sage et al with scrolls of Spelljammer and Planescape etc.)

So, if ye have interest in other worlds and portals, then visit ye the Worlds of D&D..... enjoy your journey Oh, and should ye stumble upon any Realmslore on your adventures, then return here forthwith with your findings

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic