Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Gods in Dead Magic zones
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Beowulf
Learned Scribe

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2004 :  22:58:06  Show Profile  Visit Beowulf's Homepage Send Beowulf a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met!

If a god entered a dead magic zone could it have any power? Would it be able to maintain it's prescence in the mortal realm?

And if a god can function within a dead magic zone, does that mean clerical magic is similarly potent ... originating as it does from the deities personal "weave"?

Or is a dead magic zone just plainly and simply dead?

"Ill tempered the wretch, who laughs at everyone. He cannot recognize, as he should, that he is not without faults." the High One, Poetic Edda

The Wanderer
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2004 :  23:23:43  Show Profile  Visit The Wanderer's Homepage Send The Wanderer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always believed that dead magic zones are places where the Weave had been twisted or altered in some way that magic derived from it would not work. Since priestly magic does not come from this source, I would assume that Clerical Magic would not be affected.

Whether a god would have any problems there, I posit that they would indeed have trouble if they used Magic from the Weave. Gods (only Mystra) have no control over the Weave.

The Wanderer
Go to Top of Page

brjr2001
Learned Scribe

106 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2004 :  00:08:04  Show Profile  Visit brjr2001's Homepage Send brjr2001 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i don't think it could maintain its presance in the mortal realm

on second thought lets not go to candlekeep it is a silly place
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2004 :  00:49:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mystra would be unaffected by a dead magic zone.

Shar would simply resort to the Shadow Weave.

Azuth... Dunno. I'd have to read up on him a bit before I'd make that call. And since I'm at work, that shan't be happening right now.

All the others? If they were in a dead magic zone in avatar form, they'd not suddenly disconnect from the host and go winging back to whatever plane, they'd simply be unable to use magic.

I'd say they could still hear their faithful, and could still grant prayers, so long as magic wasn't involved. Ditto for the various manifestations listed in the three 2E godbooks.

Remember, a god controls their portfolio. Nothing can stop that. As has happened in the fiction, if Kelemvor decides no one is gonna die, then no one dies.

Also remember, dead magic zones are simply places where magic can't be used. To borrow an analogy I used in another scroll, it's like a place where your cell phone has no coverage. The phone is unaffected, it just can't place or receive calls.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 15 Jul 2004 00:53:03
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2004 :  14:07:54  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd also argue that avatars of Corellan, Isis, Laduguer, Set, and Lurue wouldn't be affected by a dead magic zone either. All but Lurue have magic in their portfolio. Lurue has a much more primal connection to magic in Ed's campaign and early descriptions. Sadly, that has been drastically watered-down in most write ups of the religion.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2004 :  21:04:12  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember reading in the Avatar Series and there was a paragraph where Mystra was thinking to herself how she could have diverted her powers to restore the dead magic zone but the Goddess of Magic did not as a reminder of teh events during the Times of Trouble.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Beowulf
Learned Scribe

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2004 :  16:27:54  Show Profile  Visit Beowulf's Homepage Send Beowulf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I would think that Mystra would be most effected within a dead magic zone, as that area simply does not support her portfolio.

Anyway, I did some digging and a friend pointed out that in the old FR Adventures book it states that gods lose their magical abilities and can neither magically transport or escape out of or into such an area, eg. gate, teleport, dimension door.

It also states that both Mystra and Torm have the ability to repair these areas. Any ideas on how this would work? Considereing it owuld probably be impossible for such an area to be repair fffrom the inside, maybe it would just be a matter of somehow stimulating growth along the edge of the damaged area and then allowing nature to take its course and reweave itself?

"Ill tempered the wretch, who laughs at everyone. He cannot recognize, as he should, that he is not without faults." the High One, Poetic Edda
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2004 :  18:43:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beowulf

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I would think that Mystra would be most effected within a dead magic zone, as that area simply does not support her portfolio.

Anyway, I did some digging and a friend pointed out that in the old FR Adventures book it states that gods lose their magical abilities and can neither magically transport or escape out of or into such an area, eg. gate, teleport, dimension door.

It also states that both Mystra and Torm have the ability to repair these areas. Any ideas on how this would work? Considereing it owuld probably be impossible for such an area to be repair fffrom the inside, maybe it would just be a matter of somehow stimulating growth along the edge of the damaged area and then allowing nature to take its course and reweave itself?

The silver fire Mystra grants her Chosen can nix a dead magic area. I believe a wish can, as well.

And in 2E, Mystra's specialty priests could function normally in a dead magic zone. I believe that in the current version, the rules for her priests allow for some sort of check to get magic to work.

So, if magic she has granted to someone can function in a dead magic zone, then hers should be able to, as well.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000