Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 I need information on Talos
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dingo
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2004 :  15:21:28  Show Profile  Visit Dingo's Homepage Send Dingo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello Hello.

I'm currently playing on a NWN persistent world set in Faerun, and am wanting to make a Cleric of Talos.

Unfortunately i do not own any of the DND books, and my only knowledge of Talos has come from what a friend of mine has told me.

I wish to have alot more knowledge before attempting to roleplay a cleric of Talos, and this has brought me here.

I was wondering if anyone could give me any help on information on a Cleric of Talos. This would include general information about Talos and his followers, rituals of his clerics, behaviour of his clerics and anything you think would be helpful with Rping a cleric of Talos.

Any help you could give me would be VERY appreciated.

-Dingo

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2004 :  15:35:00  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suggest you try and track down on 2ed book called Faiths and Avatars you can likely downloaded for 5 USD from one of the Onlines stores thats sells 2ed PDF files

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Urlithani
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2004 :  20:19:52  Show Profile  Visit Urlithani's Homepage Send Urlithani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well aside from what Dargoth said(which I highly suggest), all I really have to say about Talos is:

He is the lord of storms, disasters, and destruction.

Clerics of Talos make people worship Talos out of fear by setting buildings on fire, and in general blowing things up etc. etc. Due to this many do not have a very long lifespan.

Biggest. Selûne. Fanboy. Ever! :)
"The only reward of Virtue is Virtue." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
"The time is always right to do what is right. "
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2004 :  02:29:02  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dingo
I was wondering if anyone could give me any help on information on a Cleric of Talos. This would include general information about Talos and his followers, rituals of his clerics, behaviour of his clerics and anything you think would be helpful with Rping a cleric of Talos.

-Dingo

Try this link. I hope it helps.
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2004 :  10:55:26  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WotC had some online articles about the clergy of Talos a few years back. I'll try and hunt down the URLs for you.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2004 :  15:23:38  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's an image of Talos' holy symbol.
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2004 :  02:45:27  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the links for the information on the clergy of Talos on the WotC site are dead. They simply don't work. Sorry Dingo . . .

Did anyone by chance save these articles?

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Dingo
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2004 :  09:32:43  Show Profile  Visit Dingo's Homepage Send Dingo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks alot for the replies guys and gals.

A need as much info as i can get my hands on.

SiriusBlack, thanks for the links ( though the first site is getting renovations )

Lady Kazandra, those articles would be great! If anyone has them, i would REALLY like to have a look at them.

Thanks again all.
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2004 :  09:38:35  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dingo, I haven't given up on finding those clergy articles. I'm presently sifting through the Sage's archives now. Hopefully, he's saved them someplace . . .

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2004 :  09:45:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

Dingo, I haven't given up on finding those clergy articles. I'm presently sifting through the Sage's archives now. Hopefully, he's saved them someplace . . .

Knowing the Sage, that plus 500 other tidbits on Talos...Can we scribes give you a shopping cart and a list of things we've wanted from him, and you'll get them for us?
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2004 :  09:55:49  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I've said a few days back, I have plenty of free time at the moment. So Arivia, joking aside, let me know what you're looking for and I'll do a search through his archives . . .

Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2004 :  09:58:25  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Although it might be more appropriate to create another post. An ethereal mail message would be pointless at this time since his account is currently inactive, pending an OS upgrade.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2004 :  10:16:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

As I've said a few days back, I have plenty of free time at the moment. So Arivia, joking aside, let me know what you're looking for and I'll do a search through his archives . . .

No search. Just everything.

Well, actually, see if you can find his archives of the Dungeoncraft articles placed online by WotC. Didn't ever get those, if I remember rightly.
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2004 :  10:24:57  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Will do .

In fact, I think I just passed a folder names 'Dungeoncraft' a short while ago . . .

Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2004 :  10:54:14  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arivia, I've zipped those 'Dungeoncraft' articles. Can I have your actual ethereal mail address so that I can send them off to you?

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2004 :  11:00:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Arivia, I've zipped those 'Dungeoncraft' articles. Can I have your actual ethereal mail address so that I can send them off to you?

arivia1@hotmail.com. If it's larger than 1 MB, than send an email to that location-I'll give you another address to send it to.(Secrecy required based upon the fact that I do want to keep the second completely spam free.)
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2004 :  14:15:08  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not. The zip file is approximately 600Kb+. The file is on it's way . . .

Let me know if you have a problem.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2004 :  01:53:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's not. The zip file is approximately 600Kb+. The file is on it's way . . .

Let me know if you have a problem.

Found its way to my end just fine. Thank you for sending it to me. I hope that made sense.
Go to Top of Page

Beowulf
Learned Scribe

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2004 :  22:51:00  Show Profile  Visit Beowulf's Homepage Send Beowulf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met!

quote:

Well, canon literature makes Talos the god of storms and destruction, and alludes to cults of worship that might be called "doomsday cults". That is, their goal is destruction.

However, I once had a character, a warrior, who, as a result of his hard life, believed Talos was the strongest force in the realms. I guess he saw Talos as the god of ordeal, testing, and natural selection ... survival of the fittest. This would represent a far less anti-social aspect to the *clergy* of Talos ... a new doctrine perhaps?

Shield of the Geats

"Ill tempered the wretch, who laughs at everyone. He cannot recognize, as he should, that he is not without faults." the High One, Poetic Edda
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  05:48:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hello Hello.

I'm currently playing on a NWN persistent world set in Faerun, and am wanting to make a Cleric of Talos.

Unfortunately i do not own any of the DND books, and my only knowledge of Talos has come from what a friend of mine has told me.

I wish to have alot more knowledge before attempting to roleplay a cleric of Talos, and this has brought me here.

-Dingo

I'm not sure how much use this will be to you, but Mr. Reynolds has recently uploaded a magical weapon for the Talosian faith on his website. It's called Thunderstrike.

Enjoy...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  06:33:59  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few tidbits re Talos:

His first and greatest warrior priest was Maerklos "Stormherald" - see Polyhedron magazine #103, p.25.

One of his greatest servants still around (even if he is a lich) is Aragath Taltar - see Polyhedron magazine #105. p.7.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Arteris
Learned Scribe

121 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  18:34:18  Show Profile  Visit Arteris's Homepage Send Arteris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Talos is a violent, short tempered and angry deity who exults in chaos and revels in destruction. Often petty and vengeful, The Storm Lord is a powerful bully and is often motivated by rage and the desire never to appear weak or compromising in any way to his followers. Know as Bhaelros among Calishites and Kozah amond the Bedine, Talos appears as a one eyed, broad shouldered and bearded man clad in half plate armor and black leather gloves. His eympty eye socket is filled with whirling stars and covered by a dark patch.

The church of Talos is relatively small for a greater deity and almost universally despised, for his followers bring nothing but destruction and leave only ruinin their wake. THey are fanatical in their love of destruction and are unafraid to call storms upon ships, towns, or cities in the name of their crazed deity. However, many fear and propitiate the Storm Lord, ensuring that he remains on eof the most powerful deities of the Faerunian pantheon

Talassans pray for their spells at diffrent times of the day of the course of a year with the time varying with Talos's whim (he rarely has them stick with the same time of day for more then a tenday). Clerics of Talos celebrate his annual fetivals (Greengrass, Midsummer, and so on) with great ceremonies that call down lighting and summon storms. Their most sacred ritual is calling Down the Thunder, in which they slkay an intelligetn being by lightning. The most frequently seen ritual is the Fury, in which a cleric prays then makes berserk attacks on people and items in an effor too visit considerable destruction on a place ofr encampment within a short time by hurling spells and burning torches while howling Talos's name, followed by praying again (if the cleric survives). It is considnered most holy when performed by a lone Talassan cleric, but against formidable foes, clergy of Talos usually attack together or draw off defenders to destroy them singly. Talos's clerics tend to multiclass as barbarians, sorcerers, stormlords and wizards. Those working with the Cult of the Dragon somtimes multiclass as wearers of purple.

(Taken from Forgotten Realms Faiths and Pantheons)

I will add more too this, but I have to pick up my friend right now. ^_^
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000