Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Welcome to Candlekeep
 Well Met, and Welcome to the Forums
 Farenoch
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  16:15:05  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Delete Topic
I want to know why Farenoch's thread entitled "Sorry, I don't like D&D" is missing.

CERTAINLY it is not because it has a conflicting opinion, RIGHT!!!!!!!!????????

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm

Edited by - Arion Elenim on 18 Jun 2004 16:20:43

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  16:22:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Perhaps because it seemed he was being a troll?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  16:25:11  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message
Please explain trolling....

Farenoch has emailed me and denies that he was guilty of the supposed aggregious offense...

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  16:55:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
He came in here, a forum dedicated to a specific D&D world. He said he did not like D&D or the D&D game worlds and preferred "REAL" fantasy (and yes, he did use all caps).

So, this guy took the time to find a board dedicated to a specific setting, and then he came in and insulted it.

I was not the only one who saw him do this, because I know that others replied to that thread. Thus, proof exists.

If someone does not like something, then they should not seek out forums dedicated to their dislike. Posting on those forums, unless carefully done, is going to appear to be trolling. And that is certainly something we don't need here.

And, I think that we have said enough on this particular topic. What's done is done.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 18 Jun 2004 16:57:59
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  17:06:23  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Arion Elenim

I want to know why Farenoch's thread entitled "Sorry, I don't like D&D" is missing.

Perhaps a good way of finding out is emailing a moderator.
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  17:48:55  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message
Well, first of all Rupert, I think this matter needs a little closer inspection, as this is not the first time that this board has chosen to exclude people with minority opinions or in some cases, lambast them for their comments...

Secondly, I contributed to the thread in question...answering the questions that Farenoch asked, which he did politely and calmly. His main question was simple: what did we see in the Forgotten Realms? He prefaced this with a discussion of why he didn't like the Realms, specifically mentioning the causes of his oppositional point of view. His dislike of our favored medium was not offensive or in any way contradictory to what this forum is about.

Several threads on these forums have had VERY similar ideas. The last thread I participated in SEVERELY criticized FR authors, products and even WOTC's development of Toril as a whole. This discussion was NOT locked down, even though several of my fellow scribes were MUCH less tactful in their critique of the Realms than Farenoch.

Now, had his thread used profanity, or been a mindless diatrybe about how D&D folk are lame, etc., I could understand the lockdown. However, his thread was respectful. The comment about how using all caps in one miniscule part of the thread sounds like an excuse to eliminate a minority opinion....

I don't know Farenoch personally, but seeing as how I was the only member of the forums to actually discuss his thread, he emailed me this morning attempting to understand his exclusion. I had no answers for him, and I am sorry to say that I still do not....

Methinks I will contact Alaundo in hopes I can see the banned thread....I hope that this does not become any more unpleasant than it already has...

Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  18:01:10  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message
I think you're missing the point - his/her thread was not a proper contribution to the site. We discuss Forgotten Realms lore, not whether or not we like Dungeons & Dragons.

Sure, we sometimes stray, but that is why we have moderators. To start a thread that is so out of place is asking for locking/removal.

When it comes down to it, its not as though Farénoch is banned. If s/he wants to contribute to relevant discussions - even start one of his/her own - s/he is welcome to.

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  18:13:55  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Methinks I will contact Alaundo in hopes I can see the banned thread....I hope that this does not become any more unpleasant than it already has...

I strongly urge you to do just that and contact Tethtoril since to my knowledge Alaundo is still unavailable. If that action is taken, anything unpleasant can be dealt with in private which I think would be best for all involved.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  18:45:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Well, first of all Rupert, I think this matter needs a little closer inspection, as this is not the first time that this board has chosen to exclude people with minority opinions or in some cases, lambast them for their comments...

Secondly, I contributed to the thread in question...answering the questions that Farenoch asked, which he did politely and calmly. His main question was simple: what did we see in the Forgotten Realms? He prefaced this with a discussion of why he didn't like the Realms, specifically mentioning the causes of his oppositional point of view. His dislike of our favored medium was not offensive or in any way contradictory to what this forum is about.

Well, speaking just for myself, when I saw his statement that FR was not "REAL" (again, the caps were his, not mine) fantasy, I read that as a troll flaming the board. If he looks down on this setting, why come to a site dedicated to it, insult it, and then want to know why people liked it?

Also, we have indeed criticized particular authors, and/or the way WotC is handling the Realms. We have not, however, criticized the setting as a whole, or the game itself. And his post appeared to be doing both.

If he was not trying to be a troll, then I apologize for misreading him. However, his choice of words, if not a deliberate insult, was at the least rather unfortunate.

If he has been in touch with you, I'd suggest you direct him to this thread, and then recommend that he re-state his question in a new thread, without the apparent insult. Or he could browse the "What attracted you to the Realms" thread that already exists.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 18 Jun 2004 18:55:42
Go to Top of Page

Tethtoril
Seeker

95 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  20:45:11  Show Profile  Visit Tethtoril's Homepage Send Tethtoril a Private Message
quote:

Arion;

Yes, I deleted the topic rather than locking it. In my best judgment, which is what I use to read all the posts, the entire topic (not just Farenoch's post) was inflammatory to a dedicated Forgotten Realms forum. And for the most part all responses that were given were irrelevant to this forum and the topic headers under which it appeared.

If either you or Farenoch would like to discuss this further correspond with me in private. It should be noted that the topic was removed, not Farenoch.

That said - he is welcome to speak his mind so long as he follows the rules of the forum. (Keep it Realms relevent, be respectful of others opinions and no bad language.) I am fairly easygoing, but I will stop something if I see it starting to lead to wars where asbestos underthings will be needed.

Also, I am wondering why Farenoch mailed you? I sent him a polite mail asking him to repost with a less inflammatory opening statement. I believe his topic is worthy of discussion, however, his approach was flawed.

Now, as this topic is not Realms relevent and the problem has been aired and responded to by the Moderator who performed the deletion ... I am locking it down. Any further questions or problems on this issue are to be directed to me at the link above.

Thank-you for letting me know there is a problem. Back to the Realms!

Tethtoril

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000