Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Creator Races
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  01:17:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

Regardless, I'm happy in my deluded state

I'm gonna remember you said that.

Oh, we all remember what he says-it's very memorable.
Go to Top of Page

chosenofvelsharoon
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  10:00:58  Show Profile  Visit chosenofvelsharoon's Homepage Send chosenofvelsharoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i'm sorry kuje31,
i do too much skimming and not enough reading.
Your right, it was mentioned more than once on page one.

~chosen of Velsharoon
"and naught shall be left, saved shattered throwns with none to rule them but the dead."
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  13:52:17  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chosenofvelsharoon

i'm sorry kuje31,

I'm not kuje31. I'm not that lucky.

However, I don't think you had to apologize. I know of a thread where an explanation for an abbreviation was asked on the same page, twice.

That's what I need to ask next in the FR Trivia Challenge thread.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  17:42:40  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chosenofvelsharoon

i'm sorry kuje31,

Nah it's cool. I was just pulling your leg and teasing with Sirius and Wooly. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Senbar Flay
Learned Scribe

185 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2004 :  19:11:16  Show Profile  Visit Senbar Flay's Homepage Send Senbar Flay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay I have looked at both lists and they both have fey but what did they really do that is so great to become a creator race the others constructed their own empires and fought batles and stuff. But did the fey have cities or anything.

Imagination is more important than knowledge for knowledge is limited imagination encircles the world.- Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2004 :  13:21:54  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Senbar Flay

Okay I have looked at both lists and they both have fey but what did they really do that is so great to become a creator race the others constructed their own empires and fought batles and stuff. But did the fey have cities or anything.

Did I hear someone picking a fight with the Realms' fey? If you pick a fight with fey, you pick a fight with me!!!

Seriously:
I too don't really know why fey are a Creator Race. Elves came from another plane, so even though elves are fey-descended they arn't Realms fey-descended. And as you said - I can't imagine them building cities, or empires other than forest ones. I always imagined them as shadowy watchers rather than having central roles.

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)

Edited by - Sarelle on 25 Jun 2004 13:23:00
Go to Top of Page

Senbar Flay
Learned Scribe

185 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2004 :  19:04:52  Show Profile  Visit Senbar Flay's Homepage Send Senbar Flay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You have a point they don't seem like huge empire builders because even today they are shadowy creatures living the forest and they must have don the same thing long ago they were probabley more numerous. Also since elves are fey decended and they came from Faerie does that mean the Faerie fey are diffrent form the Torillian fey?

Imagination is more important than knowledge for knowledge is limited imagination encircles the world.- Albert Einstein

Edited by - Senbar Flay on 25 Jun 2004 19:06:42
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2004 :  23:21:42  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Senbar Flay

You have a point they don't seem like huge empire builders because even today they are shadowy creatures living the forest and they must have don the same thing long ago they were probabley more numerous. Also since elves are fey decended and they came from Faerie does that mean the Faerie fey are diffrent form the Torillian fey?

That's where I got confused, too. I assumed fey came from Faerie, thus making it impossible for them to be a creator race. At the same time, though, fey are very much tied to the earth/sea/sky so in some ways it makes more sense for them to be native to Toril.

In some ways I think that fey would have gotten more secretive over the millenia - like elves - as humans expanded their empires, but as I said I just can't imagine them ever having empires.

To evaluate the evolution of elves/fey I always imagined it went something along the lines of:

1. Original, powerful, plane of Faerie fey along with the fey deities (Titania and co.)
2. Leshay (from the ELH - or an equivalent)
3. Sidhe
4. The first elves, that had the fey type and the elf subtype (I categorised these as Light and Dark Elves - the original Dark Elves being good-aligned, and slowly turning evil).
5. Modern elves (or rather, when they first migrated to Toril).

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2004 :  03:14:22  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sarelle
That's where I got confused, too. I assumed fey came from Faerie, thus making it impossible for them to be a creator race. At the same time, though, fey are very much tied to the earth/sea/sky so in some ways it makes more sense for them to be native to Toril.

In some ways I think that fey would have gotten more secretive over the millenia - like elves - as humans expanded their empires, but as I said I just can't imagine them ever having empires.

To evaluate the evolution of elves/fey I always imagined it went something along the lines of:

1. Original, powerful, plane of Faerie fey along with the fey deities (Titania and co.)
2. Leshay (from the ELH - or an equivalent)
3. Sidhe
4. The first elves, that had the fey type and the elf subtype (I categorised these as Light and Dark Elves - the original Dark Elves being good-aligned, and slowly turning evil).
5. Modern elves (or rather, when they first migrated to Toril).

All interesting points. But just remember, the Unseelie Court has also played a rather significant role in the evolution of most fey (and to a lesser extent, the elves) on several worlds. If nothing else, Monster Mythology proved that.

The Sage has talked about this before, so I won't go into more specific details. Just try a search for 'Unseelie Court' information.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Durak
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2004 :  14:08:49  Show Profile  Visit Durak's Homepage Send Durak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If i rememeber correctly (am at work.

The Creator race was the Sylvan (Hope i spelt that right).

And the current remains of that cilivisation are the Fey, sprites, dryads etc.

But its also mentioned that Elves were not native to Toril. So no Elves were Fey on Toril. ( Could been fey on other worlds)

What i think that the Svylan did, was create a racial type based on Nature. The merging of themselves with nature, Trees to make Dryads. I wonder if they merged with Horses, goats to make centaurs and Satyrs. They would have i reckon great power in changing and worshipping Nature.

To me the name of their race seem to be of an Elf like creature, but i havent seen much lore on them. Dragonlance lore keeps getting in the way.

I wonder what races are classed as Toril fey. (At work no books)

Does anyone have the Ecology of the Korred, published in Dragon #119. And know anyway i can obtain a copy?

Edited by - Durak on 28 Jun 2004 14:44:21
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2004 :  16:06:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Durak

Does anyone have the Ecology of the Korred, published in Dragon #119. And know anyway i can obtain a copy?

Well, you could wait for one of us who has the Dragon Magazine Archive to dig up the article... Or you might be able to find it on Google somewhere. I'd try the latter approach, first. If that doesn't work, I can try to get to that in a day or two.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2004 :  04:52:43  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Durak

The Sage has a second copy of this particular issue (along with most of the issues in it's year of print thanks to a pathetic mail order mishap ). Unfortunately, I've claimed it for my own collection .

If you can't get your hands on the article though, I'd be willing to summarise the specifics of it's contents for you?

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2018 :  01:24:39  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe Sarelle,

The five creator races, also known as Iquar'Tel'Quessir, are:
  • Humans
  • Batrachi
  • Sarrukh
  • Fey
  • Aearee

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Sarelle

I was reading "Birth control in the Realms" and a discussion of humans being one of the five creator races of Toril. And I remembered a question I'd had a while back -

What was the third creator race?

1. 'the' Creator Race (reptilian ones to be written up in SK )
2. Dragons
3. -
4. Giants
5. Humans

Anyone know? Is the rest of my list correct?

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6654 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2018 :  01:41:17  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Although at least one source lists "dragons" instead of the "fey".

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2018 :  03:46:57  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Krashos,

Which source was that, if you don't mind me asking?

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Although at least one source lists "dragons" instead of the "fey".

-- George Krashos

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6654 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2018 :  12:48:59  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure it was in the intro to Powers and Pantheons which essentially uses dragons instead of sarrukh - although it does talk generally about reptiles as one of the Creator Races.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2018 :  14:49:18  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Krashos,

You definitely correct on your source. On page 2 (the Dawn of Time), it identifies five creator races and identifies Dragons as being one of them. So funny how the history bounces around! haha

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I'm pretty sure it was in the intro to Powers and Pantheons which essentially uses dragons instead of sarrukh - although it does talk generally about reptiles as one of the Creator Races.

-- George Krashos

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000