Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 A different DM???
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jarren Longblade
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2004 :  04:00:20  Show Profile  Visit Jarren Longblade's Homepage Send Jarren Longblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have been playing Dungeons and Dragons for around 16yrs and since day 1 I have been the DM. Nobody I have played with has ever wanted to DM they only adventure. They say it is to hard to DM there is to much work involved. Since I like the game as much as I do, just to keep playing I DM constently. But I would like to be on the adventures side for once but nobody will take the pen as I try to pass it. Any advice on how to get someone else to DM...

One of the few thing you don't want to hear while deer hunting with your brother-in-law "DUCK"

Jarren Longblade
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2004 :  04:01:45  Show Profile  Visit Jarren Longblade's Homepage Send Jarren Longblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to get kind of a feel for adventuring I have run NPC's along with the parties for extened periods of time but still knowing every little twist and trap, it is not the same.

One of the few thing you don't want to hear while deer hunting with your brother-in-law "DUCK"
Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2004 :  04:17:18  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jarren Longblade

I have been playing Dungeons and Dragons for around 16yrs and since day 1 I have been the DM. Nobody I have played with has ever wanted to DM they only adventure. They say it is to hard to DM there is to much work involved. Since I like the game as much as I do, just to keep playing I DM constently. But I would like to be on the adventures side for once but nobody will take the pen as I try to pass it. Any advice on how to get someone else to DM...

Well you can always try out PBEM or such like. That's what I did, alas my table top group is now dissmantled and I am stuck with 5 Pbems instead At least you wont know what's coming around the next corner

Have you told them how you feel about it? I don't know the situation among the people in your group so it's a bit hard to give ideas and so ... But you could try with a rotation, alltough we only tried it for one campaign so I am not so sure about that.

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi
Go to Top of Page

Jarren Longblade
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2004 :  04:21:57  Show Profile  Visit Jarren Longblade's Homepage Send Jarren Longblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PBeM i have tried and I'm not really a fan of it I like the sit down die rolling face to face games. And I have told them but nobody still wants to DM they just stop playing for a while and like a D&D addict that I am I start working on more and more adventures untill I have to play again. Going through such faze right know been without a game for 8 months can't hold out much longer

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2004 :  04:23:02  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hymn
Well you can always try out PBEM or such like.

I'll second Hymn's suggestion. Try joining a Play By Email or some other type of online game as a player. Such a game will give you a chance to see what it's like on the other side of the screen.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2004 :  10:28:34  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why not try having one of your players sit in with you as a "DM's assistant" and give him a few tasks to perform whilst running the game. He will likely find he enjoys it and its not as daunting as first envisaged. I much prefer DMing to playing myself.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2004 :  14:54:31  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

Why not try having one of your players sit in with you as a "DM's assistant" and give him a few tasks to perform whilst running the game. He will likely find he enjoys it and its not as daunting as first envisaged. I much prefer DMing to playing myself.

Control freak!

Lord Rad, or LR as the hip folks on here call him, gives an excellent idea. Besides letting your player see if he/she likes DMing, it will allow you a chance to see if you are comfortable handing over the reigns.
Go to Top of Page

Elrond Half Elven
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2004 :  22:45:20  Show Profile  Visit Elrond Half Elven's Homepage Send Elrond Half Elven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rad (I gave you the title so I can decline from refering to you by it) has gave an excellent suggestion there. Additionally Hunt down one of the Introduction box sets and let the player DM that- It will allow him/her to get into the swing of things before running a game. Additionally encourage them to run one of the series of modules. These often do not require any additional work to run them. I would strongly recomend the Randal Morn Trilogy, these three books are a joy to run and converting them from 2nd edition into your current edition shouldn't be too hard.

Also remind your players that there are many different style of Dming. Some DMs have everything prepare before they play- writting books and books of notes. Others adopt for a more casual approach- with a basic plot and dungeon- every thing else i winged. Please not that most styles dont just fall into these two categries as i have know DMs who using nothing but modules and dont edit them, people who use a mix, people who turn up with a map printed off from the WOTC website and randomly determine everything in each room.
I am often Dming, (I also play). I finding DMing a wonderful experience, which I would recommend fully to your players. Infact there have been times when i have though- if i was running this game i'd do it differently.

Anyway Best of luck what ever happens.

Hanx
Elrond

Once upon a midnight dreary, while i pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore-
While i nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
-The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000