Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Whats the FR product you had the most trouble.....
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2004 :  16:21:38  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
..getting

For me it was the Old 1ed Lords of Darkness (I swear they must have done a limited run of that) I was never able to get it as a PnP module, only managed to get when SVgames started selling PDFs of it

Other FR products that where hard to find where the H series (I managed to track down all 4 modules), The Ruins of Myth Drannor Boxset (Another one I never managed to track down as a PnP product) and the other hard one to find was Nightmare Keep.

So which products did you find hard to get?

On the other end of the scale I could still find FR1 Waterdeep and the north in stores as late as 2000

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2004 :  16:30:53  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

On the other end of the scale I could still find FR1 Waterdeep and the north in stores as late as 2000

Many of the second edition boxed sets I could still find in stores not that long ago.

Hard to get? I don't really think I've ever encountered something I found hard to get in the FR World. But, I'm very selective as to what scrolls go into my library. Plus I have two other people in the household who collected a great deal over their lifetimes that is now part of the collection.

Now, a product from another world that starts with a G....I've had trouble getting ahold of an unblemished copy of it.
Go to Top of Page

Brother Ezra
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2004 :  17:17:31  Show Profile  Visit Brother Ezra's Homepage Send Brother Ezra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
During the FR heyday, I was pretty good about getting most of the new releases, especially the regional supplements and the boxed sets. What I've been trying to find lately to round out my collection are the Volo's Guide series. I've heard some wonderful things about them. Pure lore, no prestige classes or feats.()

"Suffering is the touchstone of all spiritual growth."
-St. Sollars the Twice-Martyred
Go to Top of Page

Chyron
Learned Scribe

Hong Kong
279 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2004 :  17:32:19  Show Profile  Visit Chyron's Homepage Send Chyron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you count the Bloodstone series, that is one that I never got ahold of. I was in a bidding race for a copy of Bloodstone Pass on Ebay last year (uncut counters)...but the price shot through the roof and I did not want it that much.

Just My Thoughts
Chyron :)

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36794 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2004 :  17:51:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of the products I have, the toughest to get was the Waterdeep Trail Map.

Of the ones I still need, so far the most elusive have proven to be the Kidnapped module, and the Kara-Tur boxed set.

I'm only shy about 3 dozen products, mostly modules.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2004 :  18:09:53  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The hard to get stuff I still haven't got: "Spellstorm" and other tournament modules, the Secrets of the Sages newsletter, "Dungeon of the Hark" and other RPGA modules...

Don't know why the H series fetches such prices, I didn't and wouldn't pay cover price.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36794 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2004 :  19:05:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

..getting

For me it was the Old 1ed Lords of Darkness (I swear they must have done a limited run of that) I was never able to get it as a PnP module, only managed to get when SVgames started selling PDFs of it

Other FR products that where hard to find where the H series (I managed to track down all 4 modules), The Ruins of Myth Drannor Boxset (Another one I never managed to track down as a PnP product) and the other hard one to find was Nightmare Keep.

I got my copy of Waterdeep and the North directly from the TSR catalog several years ago, along with a brand new copy of Oriental Adventures (the first one, obviously)...

Nightmare Keep is still on my list of things to acquire, ditto for the H series.

I got the Ruins of Myth Drannor boxed set when it came out. I got the majority of the boxed sets that way.

Lords of Darkness(1E) I got without really trying hard. I found it on eBay just a few months ago, and got it for like $10. There's at least two copies of it on there right now -- I just saw them.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2004 :  19:45:59  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If anyone's still seeking FR or other 2E materials, I'm currently liquidating a lot of my library due to financial reasons. Thus, I may be able to help out some folks looking for older TSR materials (and not just FR stuff).

Steven
Who hates feeling like a shill but would rather put things in people's hands who really want the stuff (and he's too lazy to post on EBay)

PS: Contact me offlist re: any queries for materials. steven-schend@sff.net is the email.

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2004 :  22:33:15  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

If anyone's still seeking FR or other 2E materials, I'm currently liquidating a lot of my library due to financial reasons. Thus, I may be able to help out some folks looking for older TSR materials (and not just FR stuff).

That include a personal autograph on some things you might be responsible for helping create?
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  01:22:50  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

That include a personal autograph on some things you might be responsible for helping create?

Why my scribbling on something would improve it is beyond me, but if that's what you want, that's what you'll get. ;)

Steven
Who does have immediately at hand a complete set each of the DC/TSR Forgotten Realms comic series (#1-25 & Annual) and the AD&D series (set in Waterdeep; #1-36 & Annual)

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  03:45:38  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Why my scribbling on something would improve it is beyond me, but if that's what you want, that's what you'll get. ;)

I like a person who will grant a consumer's wish.

Thanks for the reply.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  06:02:14  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1) 8224, What is the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting Anyway?
2) 8908, Gateway to Ravens Bluff
3) 9122, Bloodstone Pass
4) 9185, Treasure Hunt
5) 9199, Desert of Desolation
6) 9200, Bloodstone Wars
7) 9262, Cities of Mystery
8) ****, Secret Password

I've only seen Treasure Hunt once or twice from the OOP retailer (Nobleknight.com) that Ive bought from for years. And many of those I've never seen him get in stock except the bloodstone modules and Desert of Desolation.

And of couse the RPGA modules Fafaer mentioned.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  06:05:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...now let me see...

For extended Realms material, the Al-Qadim boxed set was the most difficult for me to find, as here in Australia only a limited number of sets were ever sold .

For complete core Realms material though, it's a tie - Nightwatch in the Living City, and the N5 adventure Under Illefarn.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  06:22:29  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31
I've never seen him get in stock except the bloodstone modules and Desert of Desolation.

This thread's bringing back some great memories. Desert of Desolation, though I don't own it, was the first FR module I played with an old group in Germany. Some good times.

As for the people that make up my current group....Under Illefarn. I wasn't the DM at first. However, after running through it and meeting the people I did while gaming....I had to purchase it. The module was relatively easy to obtain although my friends have since told me that it's somewhat hard to find.

It's bagged up now with one of those cardboard backings. Perhaps a bit overprotective, but I really like the module and treasure the memories from it.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  06:40:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
However, after running through it and meeting the people I did while gaming....I had to purchase it. The module was relatively easy to obtain although my friends have since told me that it's somewhat hard to find.

Really...?

Well, I purchased my copy of Under Illefarn in 1991, but I had to scour the game and hobby stores of Perth for over a year and a half before I found a copy. When did your friend first have a copy?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36794 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  06:42:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This thread's bringing back some great memories. Desert of Desolation, though I don't own it, was the first FR module I played with an old group in Germany. Some good times.

As for the people that make up my current group....Under Illefarn. I wasn't the DM at first. However, after running through it and meeting the people I did while gaming....I had to purchase it. The module was relatively easy to obtain although my friends have since told me that it's somewhat hard to find.

It's bagged up now with one of those cardboard backings. Perhaps a bit overprotective, but I really like the module and treasure the memories from it.

Under Illefarn is another of the ones I noticed on eBay one day and snatched up...

As for the overprotective thing... Well, all of my gaming stuff, except for the hardcovers, is in magazine bags. I got into that habit many years ago, and I've kept up with it since then.

With the old boxed sets, I also bagged the maps and cardstock sheets. I still bag maps that come in new stuff.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  06:50:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a voracious comic book collector, I can well understand your method and technique when it comes to protecting gaming material, Wooly...

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  10:24:23  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm still after a copy of H1 - Bloodstone Pass. It's hard to locate a good copy as it contains many cardboard cut-out pieces for the Battlesystem. ...and its ridiculously priced too

Before, I struggled to locate a copy of Empires of the Sands, it took about 3 GENCON's before I saw it and quickly grabbed if from the box squealing in delig.....ahem, and went over to purchase it.

Therefore, H1 is all that i'm missing

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  10:38:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I wish you'd said something about 5 months ago Rad . I actually had two copies of each of the adventures in the Bloodstone series. Unfortunately I gave it to a friend of mine as a Christmas present last year. He'd been searching high and low for a copy of each of these adventures as well...

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  10:40:58  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Oh, I wish you'd said something about 5 months ago Rad . I actually had two copies of each of the adventures in the Bloodstone series. Unfortunately I gave it to a friend of mine as a Christmas present last year. He'd been searching high and low for a copy of each of these adventures as well...

AARRRGGHHHHHHH NOOOOOooooooooooooo
Shucks! No matter, Sage. Thanks for the thought anyway. I'll continue my life-long search.... id only feel empty and without purpose if I had the product anyway

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  14:37:13  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Under Illefarn is another of the ones I noticed on eBay one day and snatched up...

What's this Ebay thing I keep hearing mentioned? Is it something important?

quote:

As for the overprotective thing... Well, all of my gaming stuff, except for the hardcovers, is in magazine bags. I got into that habit many years ago, and I've kept up with it since then.

I can understand that. Due to the environment I was in, I had to start doing this with my favorite paperback books. I need to start doing it to all the books I have and the gaming modules.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36794 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  17:30:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I can understand that. Due to the environment I was in, I had to start doing this with my favorite paperback books. I need to start doing it to all the books I have and the gaming modules.

Well, the reason I started bagging everything has to do with my dad's wife at the time. She was death on D&D, and had already tossed out all of my Super Endless Quest books (becuase they said AD&D on the spine). I covered all the hardcovers in brown paper, and that made them invisible to her. For my boxed sets and supplements, I simply stuck them all in folders.

After my dad divorced her, the camouflage was no longer necessary. I kept covering the hardcovers, to keep the pattern intact, but I decided to take the other stuff out of the folders. I had grown used to them being somewhat protected, though, so I invested in some magazine bags. And I've done that routine ever since.

As for my paperback novels, I've thought of bagging them, but I doubt that I will. Currently, the only one that is bagged came from the eBay seller that way, and since I had a hard time finding that book (The Sword and the Dagger, the forgotten first BattleTech novel), I left it in the bag.

Oh, and all my manga -- whether the Japanese version, or the American version -- is bagged, too.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  17:46:26  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do protect a lot of my softback books with plastic book jackets that I get from here -- don't know offhand of a good US source. Prevents most wear to the covers.

Edited by - Faraer on 22 May 2004 17:46:48
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2004 :  01:19:34  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Well, the reason I started bagging everything has to do with my dad's wife at the time. She was death on D&D, and had already tossed out all of my Super Endless Quest books (becuase they said AD&D on the spine).

Shudder. I forget sometimes that not every person had parents/guardians that were tolerant towards these roleplaying games that are actually fronts for true demonic activity.
Go to Top of Page

Darth KTrava
Learned Scribe

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  02:21:44  Show Profile  Visit Darth KTrava's Homepage Send Darth KTrava a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What few FR stuff I've gotten, none has been that hard to get ahold of. Thanks to ebay..... Although all I've gotten are all three of the 2nd ed deity books and the two different heroes lorebooks. One of the deity books (don't remember which) I got at a local used bookstore for half price.

Evil will be dealt with swiftly as it is my duty to remove such evil from my presence.
-Rozhena, Cleric/Divine Champion of Torm
Go to Top of Page

Senbar Flay
Learned Scribe

185 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2004 :  19:22:00  Show Profile  Visit Senbar Flay's Homepage Send Senbar Flay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me believe it or not was the forgotten realms campaign setting they don't sell as many FR stuff in my town so I have to search around on the net. I found it in town later though a friend told me.

Imagination is more important than knowledge for knowledge is limited imagination encircles the world.- Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2004 :  19:34:41  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Senbar Flay

For me believe it or not was the forgotten realms campaign setting they don't sell as many FR stuff in my town so I have to search around on the net. I found it in town later though a friend told me.

The third edition one?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36794 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2004 :  20:10:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Darth KTrava

What few FR stuff I've gotten, none has been that hard to get ahold of. Thanks to ebay..... Although all I've gotten are all three of the 2nd ed deity books and the two different heroes lorebooks. One of the deity books (don't remember which) I got at a local used bookstore for half price.

Those three deity books are some of my all-time favorite Realms supplements! I was grabbing those as they came out, and eagerly devouring every word. Those books were enough to make me overcome my aversion to playing clerics, and give one a try.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2004 :  20:44:45  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Those three deity books are some of my all-time favorite Realms supplements! I was grabbing those as they came out, and eagerly devouring every word. Those books were enough to make me overcome my aversion to playing clerics, and give one a try.

Far superior to the 3rd edition counterpart!
Go to Top of Page

Senbar Flay
Learned Scribe

185 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2004 :  20:44:54  Show Profile  Visit Senbar Flay's Homepage Send Senbar Flay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

The third edition one?

Yah I live in a small town they don't have that much stuff on Fr so most of mine is from the net. Except novels.

Imagination is more important than knowledge for knowledge is limited imagination encircles the world.- Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2004 :  20:49:39  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Yah I live in a small town they don't have that much stuff on Fr so most of mine is from the net. Except novels.

Understood and thanks for replying.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000