Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Meeting A D&D Icon
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2023 :  16:11:13  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am back, everyone.

So. I met an individual that was iconic in helping D&D be what it is today. This meeting occurred during my vacation last year. This individual was an Editor for every module that Gary Gygax created, as Gygax is not known for his writing skills. The Editor in question is none other than Rose Estes.

Yes. You read that correctly.

How did I meet her you ask? Well, my sister has long been Rose's friend, as they don't live that far from each other, and we were invited out to lunch in Seal Rock, Rose's treat no less. Afterwards, we visited her shop and then I had an in-house signing in her home. I had brought with me several Drizzt Do'Urden comic books, as I was told that she helped Salvatore inspire the creation of Drizzt, and she happily signed them for me. To say that this was a true geek moment is an understatement.

https://www.facebook.com/heartofroseestes

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDonLNKf6_KA9Qlal3Qu3zQ?view_as=subscriber

Edited by - Drakul on 05 Oct 2023 16:15:22

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2023 :  19:30:55  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Small world.

I'm guessing that you and Rose don't really know each other that well, being coincidental acquaintances. And she may not even have much to say (or indeed, have much recollection) about some dusty old Gygax-era modules she briefly worked on so many decades ago.

But insights and commentary from people who actually wrote (or re-wrote?) the D&D/FR products we grew up reading are always precious.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

maransreth
Learned Scribe

Australia
157 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2023 :  09:40:39  Show Profile Send maransreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Plus the fact that she wrote a number of books in the Greyhawk universe.
Go to Top of Page

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2023 :  15:33:18  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Small world.

I'm guessing that you and Rose don't really know each other that well, being coincidental acquaintances. And she may not even have much to say (or indeed, have much recollection) about some dusty old Gygax-era modules she briefly worked on so many decades ago.

But insights and commentary from people who actually wrote (or re-wrote?) the D&D/FR products we grew up reading are always precious.

Actually, she remembers everything she's done, despite the fact that she lost the ability to write fantasy due to an accident. Rose was also inducted into the Academy Of Adventure Gamimg Arts and Design Hall of Fame. Rose deserves to be recognized, no matter what others believe.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDonLNKf6_KA9Qlal3Qu3zQ?view_as=subscriber
Go to Top of Page

DoveArrow
Seeker

97 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2023 :  15:17:52  Show Profile Send DoveArrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used to run RPGA games for Gen Con So Cal (may it rest in peace). One year, this guy came over and sat down at my table. I handed him the sign-in sheet. He wrote his name down and handed it back.

I laughed. "I'm guessing you're not that Andy Collins."

He blushed. "Uh... actually I am. I would rather nobody else knew that."

So yeah. I got to DM for one of the authors of the 3.5 and 4E Player's Handbook. That was such a thrill.

Edited by - DoveArrow on 21 Oct 2023 15:18:23
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2023 :  17:33:24  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drakul

I am back, everyone.

So. I met an individual that was iconic in helping D&D be what it is today. This meeting occurred during my vacation last year. This individual was an Editor for every module that Gary Gygax created, as Gygax is not known for his writing skills. The Editor in question is none other than Rose Estes.

Yes. You read that correctly.

How did I meet her you ask? Well, my sister has long been Rose's friend, as they don't live that far from each other, and we were invited out to lunch in Seal Rock, Rose's treat no less. Afterwards, we visited her shop and then I had an in-house signing in her home. I had brought with me several Drizzt Do'Urden comic books, as I was told that she helped Salvatore inspire the creation of Drizzt, and she happily signed them for me. To say that this was a true geek moment is an understatement.

https://www.facebook.com/heartofroseestes

That is a wonderful adventure!

I'm jealous!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2023 :  19:53:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read some of her Greyhawk and Endless Quests novels, back in the day. Endless Quests was my introduction to fantasy fiction.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000