Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Need help modifying a spell
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2023 :  18:28:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
This is purely a personal project, for a Forgotten Realms NPC of my creation.

Short version: I'm working on a wizard's staff, and I decided to have one of its spells be an icy version of the PHB standard spell flame arrow (specifically, the "make fiery bolts" version of the spell).

Then I remembered a similar spell from Pathfinder, and decided to modify it.

I'm not used to customizing spells and such for any ruleset, though, so I seek assistance.

I am presenting the 5th level Pathfinder spell, and my 4th level AD&D 2E version of it. I should like people with more experience with this sort of thing to eyeball both versions and tell me what I need to do, if anything, improve the balance of my modified version.

I decided to make my version of the spell 4th level; it's more powerful than the 3rd level flame arrow, but I wasn't sure it was powerful enough to justify being 5th level. (I'm iffy on that and open to changing it to 5th, if people think it's warranted)

I made it an auto-hit thing, because 2E D&D didn't have ranged touch attacks and wizards have a crap THAC0 -- but I attempted to balance that by adding a saving throw the Pathfinder version doesn't get.

ICE ARROW (original version from Pathfinder 1E, found on page 187 the original Deep Magic tome)

School evocation [cold]; Level elven archer 4, sorcerer/ wizard 5
Casting Time 1 standard action
Components V, S, M (a small crystal or glass arrow)
Range close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target up to four creatures, no two of which can be more than 15 ft. apart
Duration instantaneous; 1 round/level (see text)
Saving Throw none; SR yes
An arrow of pure ice launches from your fingertip. Upon a successful ranged touch attack the arrow erupts, enveloping the target in a blast that deals 5d6 hp cold damage.

Furthermore, creatures up to Large size that are struck by the arrow are encased in a block of ice for 1 round/ level. Each round, the subject may use a full-round action to attempt a Strength check against the spell’s DC to break free of the ice. Encased creatures cannot take any actions other than breaking free, and the encasing ice provides DR 10/—. Any melee attack or spell that damages the creature shatters the ice block, freeing it. Additionally, creatures that are not threatened may, as a full-round action, attempt a Strength check against this spell’s DC to break the ice and free the target.

For every five caster levels beyond 5th, you gain an additional ice arrow (two at 10th level, three at 15th level, and the maximum of four at 20th). You may target the same creature with more than one arrow, but once a creature is successfully struck and encased in ice, any additional arrows targeting it are wasted.

Ice Arrow (modified for 2E AD&D)
(Evocation)
4th level Wizard spell

Range: 25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels
Components: V, S, M
Duration: instantaneous; 1 round/level (see text)
Casting Time: 1
Area of Effect: up to four creatures, no two of which can be more than 15 ft. apart
Saving Throw: Special

An arrow of pure ice launches from your fingertip, automatically striking its target and erupting in a blast of frigid air.

On a successful saving throw, the target takes 3d6 points of cold damage, with no other affects. On a failed saving throw, the target takes 5d6 points of cold damage.

Additionally, targets of Large size or smaller that fail their saving throws are encased in a block of ice for 1 round/level. Each round, the subject may attempt a Strength check with a -4 penalty to break free of the ice. Encased creatures are prevented from taking any physical actions other than attempting to breaking free. External melee or spell attacks can damage the ice block; it can withstand 25 points of damage before shattering, and has an Armor Class of 4.

For every five caster levels beyond 5th, you gain an additional ice arrow (two at 10th level, three at 15th level, and the maximum of four at 20th). You may target the same creature with more than one arrow, but once a creature is successfully struck and encased in ice, any additional arrows targeting it are wasted.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 18 Feb 2023 18:29:55

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2023 :  19:34:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and I want to add: the reason I changed the wording for breaking the ice was because it seemed just too easy. With a straight strength check, anyone with a Strength of 10 -- which is fairly average -- is going to have a 50% chance, or better, of breaking the ice. Adding a penalty to the check makes it a bit tougher, and also reflects the fact that anyone in the ice is likely not going to be in a good position to bring their full strength to bear.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2023 :  20:03:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Upon reflection, I've decided to bump my 2E version of Ice Arrow back up to 5th level.

I also noticed that while it was in the original Pathfinder version of Deep Magic, it wasn't in the 5E version of the same book. I wonder if it will be in the upcoming Deep Magic 2

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2023 :  00:37:56  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You may want to take a look at the 2e Ice Knife spell on page 444 of WSC vol 2. What you are trying to make seems to be an enhanced version of that spell. Also, a casting time of 1 for a spell of that level seems a bit fast.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2023 :  00:56:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

You may want to take a look at the 2e Ice Knife spell on page 444 of WSC vol 2. What you are trying to make seems to be an enhanced version of that spell. Also, a casting time of 1 for a spell of that level seems a bit fast.

I don't have that source... But I looked online, and it looks like a much weaker version of ice arrow. I went with the Pathfinder spell, rather than just an icy version of the second version of the 2E flame arrow, because I liked the block of ice part.

The casting time was just what was already there from the block I was lifting. I've no issue with changing it.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 20 Feb 2023 00:59:50
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2023 :  22:55:24  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For more benchmarks, DragonDex and my table list
level 1:
Gemidan’s Icicle (City of Splendors),
Ice Shard (Dragon #243 "Arcane Lore: 'Traveling' Spellbooks"). Ranged attack +0, induces shiver (no save, -1 to hit & to dam, cumulative).
Icy Missile (Dragon Annual 1 "Arcane Lore: Scrolls of the Ice Mage"). Just a Magic Missile that does cold damage and requires non-expended focus (a smoky quartz crystal).
level 2:
Ice Knife (The Complete Wizard's Handbook). Ranged attack +0 with range brackets (10/20/30), save vs. splash damage + numbness (1/2 movement, -2 to hit)
level 3:
Icelance (Magister, Forgotten Realms Adventures, Pages from the Mages, but not in Dragon)
Ice Bolt (Dragon Annual 1 "Arcane Lore: Scrolls of the Ice Mage").
level 4:
Bands of Ice (Dragon #200 "Arcane Lore: The Spells of Naz"). Allows bend bars/lift gates only after the first turn.
So, not out of it, but "arrow hit, target encased in ice" is cartoonish, IMO.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 24 Feb 2023 23:35:06
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000