Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Barbarian Class and the Celts
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LWhitehead1
Learned Scribe

118 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2023 :  00:21:32  Show Profile Send LWhitehead1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm need to know about the Barbarian Class and the Celts, well the feelings I get from Barbarian Class is that is more gear towards Native people then tribal Iron Age people.

Celt were called Barbarians due to there culture and by the people who were fighting to make feel more superior.

LW

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2023 :  02:05:01  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think the class is tied at all to Celtic peoples as far as the Forgotten Realms is concerned.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2023 :  02:58:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Plenty of D&D material about barbarians, and Google or a trip to the library can help you learn about the Celts.

You're better off doing your own research on whatever specifics you're interested in, rather than ask a bunch of general questions -- especially with something like the Celtic people, which I'm sure very few of us are knowledgeable about.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Karthak
Seeker

63 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2023 :  03:22:32  Show Profile Send Karthak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure how much the Celts would count as Barbarians if you're going away from the tribal Iron Age people angle, since Ireland apparently had access to iron in 600s BC and farming in 3500 BC, which doesn't really fit the native people angle if you're using it to mean migratory tribes using stone age weaponry like in Australia.
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2023 :  11:57:19  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Barbarian class was inspired by Conan the Cimmerian, though in some ways more by artworks (by the brilliant Frank Frazetta), comics, and sequell novels, rather than just work of Robert Howard.

Cimmerians, were supposed to be ancestor's of (a lot of) Celtic peoples, and historic Cimmerians and Scythians (as well as partly some germanic peoples). Their culture was largelly similar to Celtic, especially Gaelic peoples, even Crom being a Celtic deity, or perhaps rather another name of a Gaelic deity (seemingly Dagda or less probably Lugh).

The Morrigan, was also mentioned a Cimmerian goddess (or godesses).

For some time though, the Barbarian class, is a bererker class, and often connected to nature/primal magic, rather than hunter gatherers (bothof which fitting with Celtic peoples). Though I don't think it ever was meant to exclusive to hunter gatherers, or migratory peoples, or people without iron working technology.

Some Celtic peoples, were noted as going literally naked into battle (Gaesatae, Boii, Insubres, Picts - the last not 100% sure to be Celtic, at least originally). Though this might been, in at least some examples, an exageration by the Roman and Geek writers.

Edited by - Baltas on 09 Feb 2023 11:58:28
Go to Top of Page

LWhitehead1
Learned Scribe

118 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2023 :  18:14:10  Show Profile Send LWhitehead1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well it's that when your setting is late middle age, early Renaissance, Iron Age tribes like the Celts would be considered Barbarians. The Celts were considered Barbarians by Imperial Romans look at Britain,

LW
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2023 :  18:59:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LWhitehead1

Well it's that when your setting is late middle age, early Renaissance, Iron Age tribes like the Celts would be considered Barbarians. The Celts were considered Barbarians by Imperial Romans look at Britain,

LW

It's not uncommon for a more technologically advanced society to regard a less technologically advanced society as being barbaric or even primitive. That doesn't mean it's true -- anyone can find one single standard to use as a basis of comparison and declare themselves better, or others lesser, based on that one point.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2023 :  22:56:20  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

LW

It's not uncommon for a more technologically advanced society to regard a less technologically advanced society as being barbaric or even primitive. That doesn't mean it's true -- anyone can find one single standard to use as a basis of comparison and declare themselves better, or others lesser, based on that one point.

Yeah, not to raise a possible sore spot, but look at the native american cultures of north america. Only now are people apparently starting to realize just how much knowledge a lot of them had that got wiped out.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2023 :  23:09:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was trying to avoid any real-world references, but that is exactly what I was thinking of.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2023 :  04:45:25  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To me: the Barbarian CLASS is a manifestation of the natural world fighting against unnatural things.

Of course, I play AD&D 1e...so your mileage may vary.

Go to Top of Page

LWhitehead1
Learned Scribe

118 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2023 :  17:07:25  Show Profile Send LWhitehead1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well according to complete Barbarian AD&D 2nd book they existed in this timeframe, 1,0000,000 to 8,000 BC to early 800 AD, start of the Viking era according to the guide.

So the Celts are in the Barbarian timeframe, thank you AD&D 2nd PDF's.

LW
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2023 :  02:14:16  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
o.O

I think perhaps something is getting lost in translation.

The word Barbarian has been applied many times in the world by different people ABOUT other people yes; just a quick google finds:

Albanian barbar
Bosnian divljak
Catalan bŕrbar
Corsican barbaru
Croatian varvarin
Czech barbar
Danish barbar
Dutch barbaar
Estonian barbaarne
Finnish barbaari
French barbare
Frisian barbaar
Galician bárbaro
German Barbar
Hungarian barbár
Icelandic Barbarian
Irish barbarian
Italian barbaro
Latvian barbars
Lithuanian barbaras
Luxembourgish barbaresch
Maltese barbarian
Norwegian barbar
Portuguese bárbaro
Romanian barbar
Scots Gaelic barbarian
Slovak barbar
Slovenian barbarska
Spanish bárbaro
Swedish barbar
Welsh barbaraidd

Some people that have been called "Barbarian" also use the word "Barbarian" to describe even other people. Having the word applied to someone doesn't actually MAKE them barbarians though...it is just a slur word honestly.

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 11 Feb 2023 02:15:24
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2023 :  03:33:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well according to complete Barbarian AD&D 2nd book they existed in this timeframe, 1,0000,000 to 8,000 BC to early 800 AD, start of the Viking era according to the guide.

So the Celts are in the Barbarian timeframe, thank you AD&D 2nd PDF's.

LW

And we all know that D&D books are entirely factual and are often used in place of true historical references.

Go to Top of Page

LWhitehead1
Learned Scribe

118 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2023 :  04:51:53  Show Profile Send LWhitehead1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All right Wooly I know that it's not safe to use a D&D books as true historical references, and Dalor is right about the Barbarians and the natural world.

I should point out that Celt Warriors due have access to form of Berserker rage called warp fury, so there is an example of Barbarian Berserk for a Barbarian Warrior.

LW
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2023 :  05:25:52  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What game are we talking about? What edition even?

Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2023 :  15:04:38  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

All right Wooly I know that it's not safe to use a D&D books as true historical references, and Dalor is right about the Barbarians and the natural world.

I should point out that Celt Warriors due have access to form of Berserker rage called warp fury, so there is an example of Barbarian Berserk for a Barbarian Warrior.

LW

"Warp fury" sounds more like Star Trek. Did you mean "war fury"?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2023 :  16:04:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

quote:

LW

"Warp fury" sounds more like Star Trek. Did you mean "war fury"?

Does warp fury happen after going plaid?

Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2023 :  19:02:35  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Warhammer has furies in the Warp

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

o.O

Bosnian divljak
Croatian varvarin

divljak means savage
varvarin is wrong, it's barbar

my party's favorite tavern is called Barbar bar

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2023 :  03:09:18  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marc

Warhammer has furies in the Warp

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

o.O

Bosnian divljak
Croatian varvarin

divljak means savage
varvarin is wrong, it's barbar

my party's favorite tavern is called Barbar bar

Barbar Bar

That's awesome

Go to Top of Page

LWhitehead1
Learned Scribe

118 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2023 :  23:18:44  Show Profile Send LWhitehead1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well the area I want my Barbarian like characters to live is know as Healf March, a buffer zone Between the Empire and the Arcanum Invictus Imperium which is West of the Empire on the Euraisa Continent of Winnan on the world of Werra. The Human tribes are clients of the Empire and the orcs are the clients of the Arcanum Invictus Imperium.

LW
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2023 :  18:05:30  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So not in the Forgotten Realms?

I'm really confused...did I miss something?

Go to Top of Page

Karthak
Seeker

63 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2023 :  22:35:54  Show Profile Send Karthak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They're talking about their homebrew world across a few different scrolls.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2023 :  23:26:38  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it somehow tied to the Forgotten Realms? Not out of the question...but if all this isn't relative to the Forgotten Realms...what are we talking about?

Go to Top of Page

LWhitehead1
Learned Scribe

118 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2023 :  06:40:12  Show Profile Send LWhitehead1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No I'm talking about my homebrew world and setting, the world of Werra blame critical role for wanting to create my own world and setting for Livestream.

LW
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2023 :  00:40:11  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its REALLY fun creating your own world...congratulations on that, I hope it is really fun!

Having said that, this Forum is about the Forgotten Realms.

Go to Top of Page

LWhitehead1
Learned Scribe

118 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2023 :  16:04:01  Show Profile Send LWhitehead1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes I know that but this section is about Core products, now back to need help with this posting.

LW
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2023 :  19:42:07  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes I know that but this section is about Core products, now back to need help with this posting.

LW

Ok then...

Well, let us look at it this way: Your setting is not a Core Product.

Go to Top of Page

LWhitehead1
Learned Scribe

118 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2023 :  23:11:13  Show Profile Send LWhitehead1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes but the Barbarian Class is through, which I'm trying to nail down in the timeframe of history like for the Celts. As stated before the complete Barbarian book does list the timeframe of Barbarians, and yes I know that using D&D source book as source of history is not wise.

LW
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2023 :  02:25:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes but the Barbarian Class is through, which I'm trying to nail down in the timeframe of history like for the Celts. As stated before the complete Barbarian book does list the timeframe of Barbarians, and yes I know that using D&D source book as source of history is not wise.

LW

If it's a homebrew world, make the timeframe whatever you want.

Go to Top of Page

LWhitehead1
Learned Scribe

118 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2023 :  04:37:51  Show Profile Send LWhitehead1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well your right it's a homebrew game setting world, the world of Werra still have figured out how many Moons this Planet has yet. the timeframe is late middle ages to Early/ Middle Renaissance much like Warhammer Fantasy and Zweihander RPG. Like in FR there are sections of that world were are still Barbarians and Druids, that's why I looked back in history for examples of Barbarians this is were came on the Celts.

LW
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000