Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Obscure reference time: Bwimb
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2023 :  01:15:00  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So, I am looking to make a reference to Bwimb but I need some ballpark dates for a couple occurrences. I have looked through all the stuff I have, searched this site, and the FRWiki article doesn't mention any dates for these occurrences.

1. He invaded the Astral Sea as an ocean of acid but was defeated by the deity Kord. Any idea when that happened?

2. Tenebrous/Orcus killed him when he was searching for his Wand of Orcus. Any idea when this happened?

All I need is the general era for these. Even if all you can confirm is that these happen prior to say 1DR (especially for the first one), that would be very helpful.

Edit: Fixed typo.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents

Edited by - TheIriaeban on 30 Jan 2023 01:15:30

AuldDragon
Senior Scribe

USA
549 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2023 :  02:00:45  Show Profile  Visit AuldDragon's Homepage Send AuldDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

2. Tenebrous/Orcus killed him when he was searching for his Wand of Orcus. Any idea when this happened?

Somewhere around 1369DR, as that was the current year of the Planescape setting when the Great Modron March happened early after Orcus (as Tenebrous) temporarily replaced Primus. The event happened during the adventures The Great Modron March and Dead Gods.

What's the source for the event with Kord?

Jeff

My 2nd Edition blog: http://blog.aulddragon.com/
My streamed AD&D Spelljamer sessions: https://www.youtube.com/user/aulddragon/playlists?flow=grid&shelf_id=18&view=50
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2023 :  02:08:54  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AuldDragon

quote:

Somewhere around 1369DR, as that was the current year of the Planescape setting when the Great Modron March happened early after Orcus (as Tenebrous) temporarily replaced Primus. The event happened during the adventures The Great Modron March and Dead Gods.

What's the source for the event with Kord?

Jeff

According to the Wiki page, it is the 4e book Heroes of the Elemental Chaos. Since he was already dead in 2e, my assumption is that his defeat by Kord would have to have been prior to that.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2023 :  03:25:36  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bwimb lore also shows up in the Mud Sorcerer's Tomb from the D&D Next (5E) playtest material.
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2023 :  06:09:28  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Tom. I found a copy of that on the web. So far, I don't see anything that would prevent me from using Bwimb in some form.

And, after doing some more research, I think I have found a way to include Bwimb in exactly the way I wanted. It would trace all the way back to the Blue Age of Abeir-Toril. Unless of course, that Astral Sea thing happened in the distant past. That would be a better option and it is still an open question.

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2023 :  16:07:24  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, doing a bit more digging I have found the answer to when Bwimb invaded the Astral Sea as an ocean of acid: The Dawn War. On page 156 of the Heroes of Elemental Chaos, it lists a "primordial shard" that is connected to Bwimb. There are other shards connected to other primordials. On page 155 of the same book, it clearly states that these shards are the result of the Dawn War. That gives me leeway to use Bwimb as I was hoping. Thanks guys for your help.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2023 :  16:51:17  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ok, doing a bit more digging I have found the answer to when Bwimb invaded the Astral Sea as an ocean of acid: The Dawn War. On page 156 of the Heroes of Elemental Chaos, it lists a "primordial shard" that is connected to Bwimb. There are other shards connected to other primordials. On page 155 of the same book, it clearly states that these shards are the result of the Dawn War. That gives me leeway to use Bwimb as I was hoping. Thanks guys for your help.

HMMMMM, that primordial shard thing sounds damn interesting... any chance you can post any of that here? I know there was the shard of evil that affected the creation of the abyss and was also tied to Tharizdun

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2023 :  22:51:45  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't believe I can post the stats for these but I do believe I can do the descriptions. Here is all of the primordial shards they listed:

Relics from the Dawn War lie scattered across the planes. Some objects are strange and inscrutable, their purpose and function long forgotten; others hum with elemental power, offering much to a passerby who happens to claim them.

Cinder of Gazra
The primordial named Gazra cared nothing for the world and sought to burn creation to ash, then start again, only to destroy the world and everything in it once more. Gazra was put down by the combined efforts of Khala and Zehir, who dismembered the fiery lord and scattered his remains across the planes.

Echo of Ty’h’kadi
Heroes who claim the echo of Ty’h’kadi gain power over elemental storms and can wield lightning and thunder. Hidden within the shard is a fragment of the lost primordial. When the shard is exposed to lightning, anyone nearby can hear his hate-filled cry thundering in their ears.

Obsidian Sliver
It’s believed that the jagged black glass littering certain regions in the world originated with a primordial of earth and fire, a prince of magma and lord of fire. The few to put their hands on these slivers claim to have felt drawn to desolate regions, as if they had left something important there.

Pale Tooth
Legend holds that Cryonax, the nearly forgotten prince of elemental cold, shattered his teeth on Moradin’s armor when the two fought on a now-forgotten mountaintop. It’s said these jagged remnants litter the ground there still.

Pitted Flowstone
The vile elemental prince Bwimb, the primordial called the Ooze Lord, was an ocean of acid that flowed across the Astral Sea until he was finally struck down by Kord. The primordial’s ruined essence then fell as rain on the natural world below, producing acid-etched shards that give their bearers uncanny control over acid’s corrosive effects.

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2023 :  23:04:28  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I had created this sword a long time ago while I was doing swords for each element type. It would certainly be connected to the Swamp of Oblivion (name for the paraelemntal plane of ooze) and/or Bwimb.

Sword of Ooze: Most consider this a very odd sword. The blade continually, while drawn, produces a brown, mud looking substance that drips and splatters around the wielder. This production of ooze, to which the wielder is immune, has several affects:

• At the end of the first round of combat, the area around the wielder and up to 10 feet away is covered with patches of the ooze which has the same effect as a grease spell.
• Underwater, the ooze will cloud the water around the wielder. Instead of causing an area of slipperiness, it will obscure vision and give the wielder the same benefits as a blur spell. The wielder’s vision is not affected.
• On a to-hit roll of 20 or better (only considering the sword’s enhancement), the creature hit will be affected as if by the watery double spell (basically take 1d8 points of damage per round for up to a turn). This can even affect creatures underwater since it is an ooze and not water with which the target is covered. Additionally, the target is blinded due to the opaque ooze even if the save is made versus the watery double effect. This will last until the target takes a full round to wipe their eyes of the ooze (or a full turn as passed).

The enhancement for the weapon is determined like any other magic sword while ignoring any results that indicate a cursed weapon. Also, due to the production of ooze while drawn, it is very easy to track the wielder while the sword is drawn. Any ooze produced by the weapon will last for 1 turn before it evaporates into nothing. The weapon is immune to rust and corrosion.

Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2023 :  14:31:52  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does the 4e Lore matter? I thought that got mainly ignored and people use Lore from 3e and skip to 5e, as if 4e never happened. Because the way 4e is written, especially when it comes to the cosmology of the entire D&D game, it's like a separate reality entirely.

I guess we'll see how that is handled when 5e Planescape releases. Because trying to combine the cosmology lore of 4e with what's been established 1e, 2e, 3e, and 5e is the very definition of squaring the circle.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000