Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Waukeen in Waterdeep
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Blithric
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2023 :  03:32:06  Show Profile Send Blithric a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings, fellow scribes,

I'm running a campaign set in 1493 DR and headquartered in Waterdeep. For reasons relating to the (homebrewed) adventure I'm running, I needed there to be a temple dedicated to Waukeen in the city and so, naturally, I dropped one in from above.

First, of course, I did my due dilligence and looked through my small mountain of 1e-3.5 and 5e material to make sure that there wasn't already a temple. There is no mention of one in the list of temples that appears in Waterdeep: Dragon Heist, and I found no record of there having been one in Waterdeep prior to that, even before Waukeen's disappearance during the Time of Troubles.

Last night, however, I was reading through old posts in the forum and came across the following, posted by The Hooded One on 13 May 2015 in which she wrote that

quote:
All temples in the Realms, and in Waterdeep that includes The Plinth and the new Temple of Waukeen in particular, have always functioned as banks.

http://candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19841&whichpage=13

I have tried searching the forums for more information to no avail. Can anyone shed any light on this "new Temple of Waukeen" in Waterdeep?

Many thanks.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2023 :  04:10:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've looked through my stuff, and I've got nothing. You may have to ping Ed on Twitter.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Blithric
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2023 :  19:13:25  Show Profile Send Blithric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, good sir, both for your welcome and the prompt reply to my inquiry.

While reading through the forums, however, it I appears that I stumbled across an answer to my own question in a post from questing gm, quoting Ed Greenwood's twitter feed, here

http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22659&whichpage=36

First there is a link to twitter wherein it was written by the man himself on 17 December 2021 that
quote:
The faith has plans for a proper temple in future. Right now, they worship in one of the shared temples AND run a "blesscoin house" (moneychanging shop where clergy test all coin, witness deals, hold IOUs, and add the blessings of Waukeen to all transactions.
#Realmslore

followed by
quote:
The shop is "Waukeen's House," and stands on westfront The High Road, three doors north of Lamp Street (Castle Ward). The doorwarden's name is Rondur Hauvryn, his title is Coinar, and he reports to Preceptress Chauvarra Drilkend, she of the eaglebeak nose.

This leaves me with one final question though. What does westfront mean? Does that mean that the shop faces west and is therefore on the east side of The High Road; or does it mean that the shop is on the west side of the street? Neither I nor any of my dictionaries have ever heard that particular word.
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2023 :  21:39:55  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blithric
This leaves me with one final question though. What does westfront mean? Does that mean that the shop faces west and is therefore on the east side of The High Road; or does it mean that the shop is on the west side of the street? Neither I nor any of my dictionaries have ever heard that particular word

The latter. The front-side of the shop is on the west side of The High Road, therefore it is westfront.

That's the way I've always seen it used. But it would be easy enough to tweet at Ed for actual confirmation.

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

Blithric
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2023 :  22:06:44  Show Profile Send Blithric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJA
The latter. The front-side of the shop is on the west side of The High Road, therefore it is westfront.

Thanks!

You're definitely right.

I took a look at the map after reading your reply andÑdohÑwhere The High Road intersects Lamp Street, The High Road is the border between Castle Ward and Trades Ward, and we know it's in Castle Ward (that building is a better piece of real estate than the one across the street too).

When I deleted my twitter account three months ago because it had gone unused for over four years (among other reasons), who knew that I'd need it for D&D?
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2023 :  22:07:15  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That interpretation would be supported by referring to All Quiet on the Western Front, where the front is the battle line of Russia and was the Eastern Front for the Germans in WWI & WWII.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000