Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 New nobility in Cormyr?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2023 :  23:16:31  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello!

I am designing a hirable NPC who is both an aspirant War Wizard and part of the Cormyrean nobility (a minor house, but still noble) residing in Suzail. Would it be easier to remove an existing house from that city or to instead alter the existing layout of Suzail in order to accommodate an additional family?

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.

Karthak
Seeker

63 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2023 :  00:36:19  Show Profile Send Karthak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Easiest solution is to make them part of an existing house, the Hawklin and Rowanmantle houses both have residences in Suzail and from what I found on the FR wiki, seems like they'd both make sense to produce an aspirant war wizard to enhance their standing as one is only a few generations old and the other is apparently a minor house and there's not many npcs associated with either house.

If neither house fits, the next easiest solution would be to have your additional house just residing in an estate very close to the city.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2023 :  00:45:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azar

Hello!

I am designing a hirable NPC who is both an aspirant War Wizard and part of the Cormyrean nobility (a minor house, but still noble) residing in Suzail. Would it be easier to remove an existing house from that city or to instead alter the existing layout of Suzail in order to accommodate an additional family?

Why do either? Why can't he be from a house that's canonically in the city?

Without knowing why that's an issue, here's some other options:

Have him be from some noble family that doesn't have a formal presence in the city, but still maintains a residence or two for when they're in town.

Or make him be from one of the established families, but from a lesser branch -- still noble, but so far from the line of succession that his nobility is only a technical thing. Like, the current patriarch's second cousin or something.

Third option is similar to my first one: some noble family that doesn't have a presence in the city, but has decided for whatever reason that it's time to become more involved in the Royal Court.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Scots Dragon
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2023 :  02:00:02  Show Profile Send Scots Dragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's plenty of blank space on the map for a new noble house or two to reside in the city. A few of those buildings and domiciles do not have inhabitants associated with them, so it's easy to just slot in a noble family.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2023 :  03:00:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I'm quoting myself, because I just had another thought...

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Third option is similar to my first one: some noble family that doesn't have a presence in the city, but has decided for whatever reason that it's time to become more involved in the Royal Court.

This option provides additional roleplaying potential, I think. Some established noble families aren't going to be happy seeing "country nobles" trying to join their "betters" in Suzail and at the Court. You can get a lot of political intrigue going on, along with some action in the shadows as various nobles (and possibly other groups) try working against or taking advantage of the newcomers. The "new" family, too, may be engaging in shady actions, trying to bring others down to benefit themselves, or simply trying to strengthen their own position through various means.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2023 :  16:27:46  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It might even be interesting if the aspirant war wizard had become ennobled because of some minor action on his part (saving the pet tressym of the princess who was being chased by a hawk, and in the bustle also saving the princess that was chasing it from a runaway wagon). Maybe the princess then enacts what she's seen her father do and "knights" the character with her own dagger (while the king and queen watch) .... and names them her personal mage... and the king and queen decide to go with it and tell the current mage royal to turn the wizard into a war wizard and give him a minor title and a residence. Then you very much could have what Wooly describes of other nobles being upset, etc... especially if the minor title he is given was promised to a son or daughter of some family.... whose possible failings were the reason that the tressym was being chased and the princess was chasing it into the path of a wagon.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 27 Jan 2023 16:42:23
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2023 :  17:40:06  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Hello!

Why do either? Why can't he be from a house that's canonically in the city?

It's possible that he could be from a canonical house, but I already worked up a history for this guy and his kin; fitting them in while simultaneously ensuring that canon is disturbed as little as possible is my goal.

quote:

This is a solid suggestion . All I have to do is devise a reason as to why they've been "off the map" (both literally and figuratively!).

quote:
Originally posted by Scots Dragon

There's plenty of blank space on the map for a new noble house or two to reside in the city. A few of those buildings and domiciles do not have inhabitants associated with them, so it's easy to just slot in a noble family.

Really? Okay, I'll take another look; I swore that the layout was so tightly-constructed as to disallow additions within, but this is one occasion where being wrong is definitely preferable.

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

It might even be interesting if the aspirant war wizard had become ennobled because of some minor action on his part (saving the pet tressym of the princess who was being chased by a hawk, and in the bustle also saving the princess that was chasing it from a runaway wagon). Maybe the princess then enacts what she's seen her father do and "knights" the character with her own dagger (while the king and queen watch) .... and names them her personal mage... and the king and queen decide to go with it and tell the current mage royal to turn the wizard into a war wizard and give him a minor title and a residence. Then you very much could have what Wooly describes of other nobles being upset, etc... especially if the minor title he is given was promised to a son or daughter of some family.... whose possible failings were the reason that the tressym was being chased and the princess was chasing it into the path of a wagon.

This particular fellow decided to apply himself because of a perceived indiscretion (he's not truly at fault, but he doesn't know that yet) with a lady. Funnily enough, the change in lifestyle also shifted his Alignment.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2383 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2023 :  05:45:40  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I am designing a hirable NPC who is both an aspirant War Wizard and part of the Cormyrean nobility

Is this even possible? The internal policies and traditions of Cormyr seem to be incompatible with this. A young enthusiastic and oblivious noble could apply, but would be blocked as having a potential conflict of interest. And if not, will be unofficially ostracized by the nobles in an eyeblink.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2023 :  17:04:06  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:

I am designing a hirable NPC who is both an aspirant War Wizard and part of the Cormyrean nobility

Is this even possible? The internal policies and traditions of Cormyr seem to be incompatible with this. A young enthusiastic and oblivious noble could apply, but would be blocked as having a potential conflict of interest. And if not, will be unofficially ostracized by the nobles in an eyeblink.

...is there any explicit mention of this pursuit being outright impossible?

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2383 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2023 :  01:19:54  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

...is there any explicit mention of this pursuit being outright impossible?

Explicit, no. But that's how Cormyr works.
The balance between War Wizards vs nobles (and vs Crown, to lesser degree) is the key feature of Cormyrean power structure, and unfortunate examples of its necessity seem to appear in every generation. In this context any hint at a conflict of interest cannot be taken lightly.
While probably not strictly prohibited, such an overlap is going to be weighted against one of the basic rules that ensure stability of the state. As in, the Mage Royal considering a prospective employee must know this too well and face the question: is this idea good enough to compromise one of our traditional and demonstrably necessary principles? Exactly why? There are many other loyal and capable people...
This consideration IMHO does not apply to the Highknights. While "special ops" too, they are not a big part of "checks and balances", and are rigorously monitored by War Wizards anyway.
Also, among the rare individuals awarded an extraordinary (non-inheritable) title, being later recruited to War Wizards would probably be very rare (and the opposite even more rare), but not "out of it". These are "not real nobles" in many ways. Especially in the eyes of noble houses, of course.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 15 Feb 2023 07:54:13
Go to Top of Page

Veritas
Learned Scribe

209 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2023 :  12:59:16  Show Profile  Visit Veritas's Homepage Send Veritas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While a well-founded extrapolation, again, there is no hard rule on the matter and there are any number of reasons in-game that an allowance may have been made (not the least of which may be a result of a favor owed), and if it makes for a good campaign story, why not find ways to support the concept?
Go to Top of Page

The DMs Revenge
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2023 :  05:03:20  Show Profile  Visit The DMs Revenge's Homepage Send The DMs Revenge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder
These are "not real nobles" in many ways. Especially in the eyes of noble houses, of course.

This might be the best reason TO make the NPC a noble and War Wizard - such a shake up of "the way of things" would practically write its own adventure hooks (though it'd be even better to use with a PC, IMO).

Edited by - The DMs Revenge on 21 Feb 2023 05:03:57
Go to Top of Page

Fineva
Seeker

Canada
79 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2023 :  06:44:43  Show Profile Send Fineva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There’s a small family related to the Marchioness of Immerdusk. You could have him related to one of them, since I believe that they may fit the war wizard and noble categories.
If you do look this up…
“ Marchions were below dukes in rank and above counts or earls. The feminine form of the word was "marchioness”
Never say that something is impossible in Cormyr

I" am Sathia of Orogoth

Edited by - Fineva on 21 Feb 2023 06:47:48
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000