Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Favorite City
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kitira Gildragon
Learned Scribe

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2002 :  14:29:02  Show Profile  Visit Kitira Gildragon's Homepage Send Kitira Gildragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm supposed to do a project for one of my classes (foreign language) about my ideal comunity. I decided to do a city/area from FR, but then I came upon the ulitmate question: What actualy *WAS* my favorite place? They're all great. What's yours and why? (True to my half-elven character, I chose Elventree for its temples to Mielikki and Mystra. The thought of a forest home w/ other half-elves helped too. )

-Space for rent-

The Defence Minister
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2002 :  18:17:50  Show Profile  Visit The Defence Minister's Homepage Send The Defence Minister a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are lots of areas of the Forgotten Realms I like.

The Underdark is pretty cool with Drow and Drueger.

I also love the Halfling villages (esp. Gullykin)

TDM

- TDM (Candlekeep's most popular, experienced and handsome member)
Go to Top of Page

Cherrn
Learned Scribe

Denmark
323 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2002 :  23:37:39  Show Profile Send Cherrn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why didnt you select Silverymoon ? It is a place that strive to unite all races so they can live in peace and harmony. Just like Myth Drannor back before it was invaded.

A wise man from Calimport once told me: "If a merchant puts sand in the flask of oil he's trying to sell you, then he isn't trying to sell you sand..."
Go to Top of Page

Drummer Boy
Senior Scribe

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2002 :  02:58:26  Show Profile  Visit Drummer Boy's Homepage Send Drummer Boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to agree with TDM. The Underdark is cool. If I would have to pick a specific city, though, I would pick Menzoberranzan. I just think the whole drow culture is interesting.
Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2002 :  11:33:34  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Baldur's Gate. Probably due to the fact it is the FR city I am the most familiar with. Of course, it is rather interesting in its own right.

"If others had not been foolish, we should be so."

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

Kitira Gildragon
Learned Scribe

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2002 :  12:28:05  Show Profile  Visit Kitira Gildragon's Homepage Send Kitira Gildragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cherrn

Why didnt you select Silverymoon ? It is a place that strive to unite all races so they can live in peace and harmony. Just like Myth Drannor back before it was invaded.

*L* Do you know how many people would have picked that place? I can think of two people off the top of my head who, in the Silver Marches PBeM, chose that for their home. Uniqueness is a gift and it should be used as much as possible, mellonamin.

-Space for rent-
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2002 :  13:29:29  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im surprised nobody has mentioned Waterdeep so far...... so ill put it down as my favorite city. I guess its the sprawling mass of it and the different wards within the city, the imposing Mount Waterdeep and castle and the many features and different landmarks. I suppose it helps that its the most detailed city of the Realms (i love Volos Guide to Waterdeep and the City of Splendors box set). A kind of a something-for-every-taste type of city.

Im also a big fan of Zhentil Keep (in its prime) as well as Silvermoon. Saying that, Irieabor facinates me, its a shame there isnt more information available for it, and indeed for other FR cities. I had always hoped that WotC would produce a Cities of Faerun product or something, to give maps and info on many cities, much like in the secton in the FRA (Forgotten Realms Adventures) hardcover.

So I dont have an exact favorite, each city has its own qualities IMO.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"

Edited by - Lord Rad on 21 Nov 2002 15:09:35
Go to Top of Page

Fingolfin
Acolyte

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2002 :  21:37:11  Show Profile  Visit Fingolfin's Homepage Send Fingolfin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Akathla is the best. Capital of Amn, a super nation just has to be great. Other then that, Targos or Silverymoon would be my favourite city of all.
Go to Top of Page

The Great Drizzt
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2002 :  05:51:53  Show Profile  Visit The Great Drizzt's Homepage Send The Great Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Rad, Waterdeep is cool and all, but I'm gonna have to go with Skullport on this one, second would have to be Menzoberanzen.
The Great Drizzt

"Don't poke Drizzt, 'tis highly unsociable!" Drizzt Do'Urden -BG1
Go to Top of Page

Captain Louis
Acolyte

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2002 :  01:44:38  Show Profile  Visit Captain Louis's Homepage Send Captain Louis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it isn't actually a city, but my favorite PLACE in the Realms has to be the Yuirwood. In fact, I like all the woods, as unlike most places in the FR, they have not been detailed to an extreme or are featured in many different parts of Faeruneian histroy (with the exception of the High Forest). Most of the woods are very interesting, especially the Yuirwood, the Cloakwood, and the Wood of Sharp Teeth. Another place I think is cool is the Spine of the World. I always liked the idea of falling into glacial cracks and discovering the hoard of a long dead dragon, stalking through the mountains and trying to cause an avalance to fall upon an orc horde, and fighting out of an ice cave, slaughtering winter wolves left and right. Also, the Time Gate in a cave is hella cool. As for cities, Zhentil Keep (before its destruction) would be a great place to visit, as would Baldur's Gate and anywhere in the Weastern Heartlands.

Ow, I cut my lip!
Go to Top of Page

The Great Drizzt
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2002 :  05:51:18  Show Profile  Visit The Great Drizzt's Homepage Send The Great Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Uuhhhhhh......Wood of Sharp Teeth....*shiver*
Giant evil maze of trees.....*shiver*
The Great Drizzt

"Don't poke Drizzt, 'tis highly unsociable!" Drizzt Do'Urden -BG1
Go to Top of Page

Bragi
Seeker

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2002 :  08:57:55  Show Profile  Visit Bragi's Homepage Send Bragi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are so many places to choose from it makes this question a very difficult one to answer so I've picked a few of them.

Favorite City: Waterdeep
Favorite Country: Halrurra
Favorite Region: The Border Kingdoms
Favorite ancient country: land of the Imaskari artificers

In Pursuit of Better Worlds,
Bragi of Erin
Go to Top of Page

sabre
Acolyte

Turkey
47 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2002 :  09:54:03  Show Profile Send sabre a Private Message  Reply with Quote
this a long subject i guess...
i like zhentil keep most...
that city reflects human instincts very best...
it is a mirror for our souls...
all the evil deities that rule there are merciless and ruthless...
i dont like evil but it is a part of nature so we have to see it and
dont act like we dont want it...
"goodness is "NOTHƯNG" without evil sorryly...

sabre

Edited by - sabre on 10 Dec 2002 11:08:37
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2002 :  00:35:32  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Favorite city: Waterdeep, Suzail (yes BIG cities!)
Favorite region: North of sea of Fallen stars (Tantras, Cormyr, Sembia)
Favorite lost cities and empire: Myth Drannor in first and just just after Netheril
Go to Top of Page

Locced
Acolyte

New Zealand
6 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2002 :  11:04:11  Show Profile  Visit Locced's Homepage Send Locced a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always kind of liked Arabel, mainly for they way the Royal Wizards of Cormyr regarded it (seceding and rebelling every hundred years) and the Portrayals of its Ruling Lords.

Would like to see more on Aglarond in general and Velprintalar specifically to see what life under the Witch-Queen is like. When shes there that is :)
Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2002 :  17:19:30  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Favorite City (Current) Waterdeep : The FR version of the City that Never Sleeps. Where anything can be had for a price (usually an astronomical one but what can you do?), and there is always plenty of trouble to get into. Not to mention the close proximity to Undermountain.
Favrorite City- (fallen) Myth Drannor: The dream realized all civilized peoples of Faerun living in harmony together. That is truly something to admire.

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page

enchantedgoblin
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2003 :  05:41:35  Show Profile  Visit enchantedgoblin's Homepage Send enchantedgoblin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Memnon is my favorite city because it is a thief's paradise
Go to Top of Page

Deneir
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2003 :  03:34:00  Show Profile  Visit Deneir's Homepage Send Deneir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't quite recall the name of the city but it's the underdark city of the Drueger. When drizzt passes though on his way to the surface is the only time i have ever heard of it but it sounded pretty sweet from the brief discription in that book.
Go to Top of Page

Salius Kai
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2003 :  04:32:18  Show Profile  Visit Salius Kai's Homepage Send Salius Kai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a tough one. I'm currently torn between two options. Waterdeep, and Luskan. I havn'e the faintest Idea why I like Luskan, mabey its just the way it sounds.

"Welcome to these walls of infinite knowledge."

Salius Kai
Go to Top of Page

Feanor_Karnil
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2003 :  19:02:41  Show Profile  Visit Feanor_Karnil's Homepage Send Feanor_Karnil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say somewhere around IceWind Dale because it's pretty much isolated up there and you don't have to bother with anything.

We live in a bleak world my friend, where heroes are few and shadows stalk us around every corner.
-Mikai Daerni
Go to Top of Page

Rellen Amostirren
Acolyte

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2003 :  22:22:15  Show Profile  Visit Rellen Amostirren's Homepage Send Rellen Amostirren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to say Waterdeep, nothing can quite match the wealth of detail for that city.

Though if the truth be known I do have a fondness for Myth Drannor after its fall. After all Im an adventurer and a glutton for punishment!!

"Stealing teeth and still leaving folks with a smile!!"
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2003 :  23:04:54  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Favorite City: I'd have to say Silverymoon because of my characters' ties to Alustriel and the Harpers there. Also because it's the only city in the Realms that has the same mind set as Myth Drannor had - to unite all races in peace and harmony.

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

Targon Moonrise
Learned Scribe

163 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2003 :  00:41:44  Show Profile  Visit Targon Moonrise's Homepage Send Targon Moonrise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite place is Shadowdale, my character's hometown. I just loved it since the first time I read "Shadowdale" the first book of the Avatar Series.

May Melkor smile upon every spell you cast.
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2003 :  02:16:19  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Silverymoon, and my favourite region is the north. Though I often run campaigns in other regions depending on the flavor I want for an adventure.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2003 :  20:42:11  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to add a city: Calimport. I just love its hugeness (eng?)
Go to Top of Page

Aust Grimshadow
Acolyte

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2003 :  23:16:53  Show Profile  Visit Aust Grimshadow's Homepage Send Aust Grimshadow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Call me cliche but i think Ten Towns is quite an interesting settlement. The place for rogues among rogues. Just the everyday happenings and dilemmas they face gives the collection of towns such character. Kuldahar is also one of my favorites. A giant tree housing hundreds of people lead by druids. Pretty sweet.

"Lies engulf the drow in fear and mistrust, refute friendship at the tip of a Lolth blessed sword. The hatred and ambition fostered by these amoral tenets are the doom of my people, a weakness they perceive as strength. The result is a paralyzing existence that the drow call the edge of readiness." -Drizzt Do'Urden
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2003 :  05:28:38  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where's Kuldahar? I don't believe I've ever heard of it. I guess it wasn't in any novels that I've read.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Sadonayerah Odrydin
Learned Scribe

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2003 :  06:58:25  Show Profile  Visit Sadonayerah Odrydin's Homepage Send Sadonayerah Odrydin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favs personally are Waterdeep, Everaska, Evermeet, and the Underdark. Though most of my FR characters have never been to Evermeet (I've read some things about it...I have yet to read Evermeet: Island of the Elves though) I still think its a cool place. Most of my characters reside either in Waterdeep or the Underdark. One went to Everaska for a mission but she never lived there. (I think that was Talaylie...I don't remember for sure. I'll have to check her profile again....). Athkatla is all right...I wouldn't choose that one permanently though (my opinion). Suldanesselar is also a nice place too. Its heavily guarded by elven enchantments though...but its a beautiful city none-the-less. Leave it to me to favor the elven cities and such! lol. Most of these I'd choose mainly because of my characters. For the most part, they either have lived or have been on a mission to these cities. I just kind of attached to some as ideal places for my fanfics. Like Talaylie is mainly positioned in Waterdeep and Everaska. (I think she also goes to Evermeet once or twice...I can't remember that for sure. its been a while since I've worked or even looked at her story).

And I've heard of Kuldahar...but I can't remember what it is exactly....

"What's that," asked Mogget.
"Sardines," said Sam. "I knew they were standard rations, so I got a few tins for you."
"What are sardines?" Moggest asked suspiciously. "And why is there a key? Is this some sort of Abhorsen joke?"
Abhorsen by Garth Nix

"What you made a vampire...Pomeranian?!" --Hannibal King from Blade Trinity

~Sadie
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2003 :  07:38:55  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sadonayerah Odrydin

And I've heard of Kuldahar...but I can't remember what it is exactly....

Icewind dale the video game. So guess from where is it close to?
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2003 :  08:18:40  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zemd

Icewind dale the video game. So guess from where is it close to?

Oo! Oo! I know! Um . . . Calimshan? No? Okay, um, is it in Kara-Tur? Maztica? No, it's in the Moonshaes, right? No? Dang, I give up.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Aust Grimshadow
Acolyte

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2003 :  15:03:24  Show Profile  Visit Aust Grimshadow's Homepage Send Aust Grimshadow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. Actually I believe it is just south of the Spine of the World. Almost embedded into the Spine itself. You can find a picture of it here.

http://guidesarchive.ign.com/guides/13559/images/kuldahar_map_lg.jpg

An entire city embedded into the side of a great oak tree. Not very big, but still cool.

"Lies engulf the drow in fear and mistrust, refute friendship at the tip of a Lolth blessed sword. The hatred and ambition fostered by these amoral tenets are the doom of my people, a weakness they perceive as strength. The result is a paralyzing existence that the drow call the edge of readiness." -Drizzt Do'Urden
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000