Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Divinity Theory
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2022 :  22:21:45  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, as some designers like to remind us, nothing happens in isolation.

The event itself could be the connection due to its rarity.

Prior to the ToT, god on god slaying is an almost unheard of event, but during the Dawn Cataclysm we have at least two murders or attempted murders (I cant recall if there are more). The rarity of the event suggests a link.

For example, we know the obarskyrs line has experienced a lot of unexpected deaths, so many in fact that you would suspect a deliberate hand steering those events. Nothing in the lore links them all but I'm pretty sure I've read on here that there is a connection.

Now, if the Balance is actually about staving off MAD, then what better way to kick start a cataclysm that results in the consolidation of multiple pantheons into a single pantheon, than by breaking the Balance and deliberately trying to kill other gods. Tyche was an easy one because she was so fond of walking the realms in Prime Avatar form and so made herself vulnerable. Others would have to be tricked.

Cue a divine escalation of conflict that was only averted by some expert diplomacy and the formation of a single continental pantheon.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2022 :  02:34:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A lot of gods fell before the Time of Troubles.

Timing does not suggest a link, given that we've been told the circumstances of how Tyche split, and it was not related to the Dawn Cataclysm.

Even if we didn't have the info on her split, just because two things happen at the same time doesn't mean there is any relation between them at all. My stomach was bothering me Saturday morning, and the Artemis 1 mission failed to launch because of a hydrogen leak. I'm fairly certain that these two things are entirely unrelated.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2022 :  06:53:35  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still use this (courtesy of afroakuma from the Giant in the Playground forums):

• The Dawn Cataclysm was a period of Faerűnian history that took place over a few hundred years, beginning around, loosely, -350 DR.

• The root causes of the Dawn Cataclysm are numerous, but the most predominant are three:
• The ascension of the Dark Three through the machinations of the Netherese deity Jergal.
• The fall of Netheril through the folly of Karsus.
• The emergence of Lathander, called Morninglord, a power of renewal.

• Whether Lathander emerged from the death of Amaunator, the Netherese sun god, or was present before in a different pantheon (the Talfiric, perhaps) and coexisted, is ultimately difficult to say. One prominent theory held that Lathander, Amaunator, and Jergal represented the dawn, the midday, and the dusk, and that only two of the three could hold sway at any one time. If this is true, then the emergence of Lathander at the same time that Amaunator fell and Jergal voluntarily diminished himself may have disrupted the cycle and the balance of three.

• The Dark Three were active during the time of Netheril, and likely began to forge their cults and churches in the strife and death of the fall. This surge in prominence of three new faces of evil was a cause for alarm among the powers of Good, as the Dark Three lacked for subtlety, hungering to set upon the world as its new rulers.

• Lathander viewed the fractious pantheons of Faerűn as stagnant and sedentary, unable to respond to the evils of Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul. He urged his followers to spread forth from their lands, making contact with the followers of deities from other pantheons. Lathander attempted to convince these gods that they needed to change, or they would fall under others who were more adaptable. He exhorted them to follow his example - and to follow him, as the leader of a united pantheon of goodly and rational deities against the upjumped mortals now threatening to bring the world to heel.

• Some deities were eager to join him, concerned about the strength of evil. Others were resistant to uniting with other pantheons, concerned that their portfolios would be at risk. Some were actively encouraged by the concept of predating on deities from other pantheons in order to seize more power for themselves.

• These divisions happened not between individual pantheons, but within them. The god Auppenser was supreme among the Jhaamdathan pantheon, and would not hear of kneeling to the Morninglord, concerned as he was about protecting the psions of his land. Factionalism among the gods caused division in the Jhaamdathan pantheon, resulting in a coup in Jhaamdath that installed a vicious warmonger in place of the old rulers.

• With the gods of war eagerly unleashed upon one another, the gods of storm and fury came forth to bring havoc. Lathander's crusade had transgressed the traditional boundaries of the pantheons, and the fragile peace shattered as gods of all stripes struggled to cement their roles in the free-for-all.

• When the dust cleared, it became evident that whatever Lathander's actual goals, he had missed the forest for the trees - the most ancient evil of Toril, Shar, had undermined his efforts from the very beginning, using the kinds of foe he would immediately perceive as the greatest threat (new gods, young and active, like himself) as a diversion while she helped strengthen other forces of darkness. A dreadful ocean goddess, Umberlee, was summoned by elves into the Sea of Fallen Stars, where she seized and drowned the last defender of Jhaamdath, the reason goddess Murdane, capturing the inland sea within her portfolio and establishing herself as the predominant deity of all the waters. The foul demiurge Moander deceived and corrupted Tyche, goddess of fate, forcing Shar's rival Selűne to salvage a lesser goddess of good fortune from the putrefying essence of her friend while unleashing a cruel goddess of misfortune upon the Realms. The battles of gods with similar portfolios had greatly empowered forces such as destruction and war, seating Tempus and Talos as greater gods with wider sway over the Realms.

• The ultimate outcome of the Dawn Cataclysm was a united Faerűnian pantheon, with many gods much greater in scope than they had been previously. Lathander obviously did not get to renew the world entire without the stain of darkness, nor did he become leader of the united pantheon or otherwise achieve his aims.

To be honest, I find trying to explain divinity (and the editions) to be torturous at best.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2022 :  09:48:30  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

A lot of gods fell before the Time of Troubles.

Timing does not suggest a link, given that we've been told the circumstances of how Tyche split, and it was not related to the Dawn Cataclysm.

Even if we didn't have the info on her split, just because two things happen at the same time doesn't mean there is any relation between them at all. My stomach was bothering me Saturday morning, and the Artemis 1 mission failed to launch because of a hydrogen leak. I'm fairly certain that these two things are entirely unrelated.

Very true except that your analogy is comparing apples and pears. Yes your stomach pain has no connection to the failed Artemis launch, unless you experience it with every launch.

This however is more like every Artemis launch failing so is there a hidden agenda from some group being pursued to cause those failures.

Now we have gods fall relatively frequently that is true. Most of these are through lack of worship or godlings (demigods and young true gods) failing to survive very long because they over reach themselves or do not have a secure base of worshippers or are being manipulated by Talos etc. But actual god on god slaying I'm not recalling many before the Dawn Cataclysm.

Then within the Dawn Cataclysm we have at least two, likely more if you count the seven lost gods and the events around tempus, targus, garagos, and talos, bhaelros, jonah etc.

Each slaying could be viewed as an isolated incident but given the rarity up to that point it seems less likely.

Just something to muse upon.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2022 :  11:08:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could muse on the written lore that makes it clear there is not any connection.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2022 :  15:29:24  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

[quote] Now we have gods fall relatively frequently that is true. Most of these are through lack of worship or godlings (demigods and young true gods) failing to survive very long because they over reach themselves or do not have a secure base of worshippers or are being manipulated by Talos etc. But actual god on god slaying I'm not recalling many before the Dawn Cataclysm.

Lol, the Mulhorandi and Untheric pantheon called and want to have words with you about not recognising the horros perpetrated by the orcish pantheon during the Orcgate Wars. Apparently they didn't like "lack of worship" as a metaphor for being killed by orcish blades and fury, go figure.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000