Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Search Issues
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2022 :  15:04:03  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Searches are now simply taking you to the main page of the forum site instead of to specific sections and/or pages.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2022 :  16:20:17  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Hmmmm well no changes were made in that respect. I'm not 100% sure on what you mean, however. I've executed a few searches, and appears to highlight required text and return relevant pages. Drop me an email with some screenshots and I'll take a look.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2022 :  06:53:09  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's true, if you use a search engine. I noticed earlier this week. There are many times when a search result only turns up these forums and nothing else on the internet.
"It occurs to me that Ed has been posting Realmslore on the Twitter, and not everyone has the Twitter. "

This is from the start of one of the ask threads. Search it and click the results- sends you to the home page. The only results if you keep the quotes should be the thread.

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, Long Live Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling.wordpress.com

T_P_T

Edited by - PattPlays on 16 Jul 2022 06:58:57
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2022 :  07:28:11  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I get the usual search results page, a listing of threads which contain my search terms.

They're not highlighted on screen. I don't think they ever were for me, I didn't know that was a site feature. I usually use my browser's ctrl-F "find" function when I want quick highlighting.

I'm using Win10, NordVPN, Brave browser. It's basically a "de-googled" version of openchromium with built-in scriptblocker, adblocker, popblocker, phishblocker - and I've installed old versions of AdBlock Plus, uBlock, and some github cookie-auto-delete extension - all turned on (all enabled by default with my half-paranoid weirdo tinfoil hat settings, I don't bother to disable them when sites I visit seem to be working perfectly, lol, I only disable them when they break pages).

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2022 :  07:32:58  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

I get the usual search results page, a listing of threads which contain my search terms.

They're not highlighted on screen. I don't think they ever were for me, I didn't know that was a site feature. I usually use my browser's ctrl-F "find" function when I want quick highlighting.

I'm using Win10, NordVPN, Brave browser. It's basically a "de-googled" version of openchromium with built-in scriptblocker, adblocker, popblocker, phishblocker - and I've installed old versions of AdBlock Plus, uBlock, and some github cookie-auto-delete extension - all turned on (all enabled by default with my half-paranoid weirdo tinfoil hat settings, I don't bother to disable them when sites I visit seem to be working perfectly, lol, I only disable them when they break pages).

Not the in-site feature- Google, actually. Post that quote with quotation marks I posted earlier into google, and click the link that says "questions for x page y yada yada" and it boots you to the homepage.

Edit: Hmmmm this isn't as consistent of a problem as I thought..

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, Long Live Pluto: :IRC lives:

T_P_T

Edited by - PattPlays on 16 Jul 2022 09:58:22
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2022 :  12:31:32  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Right, so we're talking about search engines, not the search function of the Candlekeep Forums.

This would therefore have been impacted by the recent transition. The forums moved from a subdomain on a different server to a subdomain redirect within the main server. Thus, forum.candlekeep.com, whilst still valid, redirects and points to candlekeep.com/forum. May be some latency and caching issues between engines and the old vs. new URLs.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2022 :  12:47:04  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is a real shame, mostly because searching within candlekeep does not point you to a particular page (only the topic) where the phrase can be found.

Search engines used to direct you to the correct page (until very recently)

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2022 :  04:21:54  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
site:candlekeep.com Ayrik gith and site:candlekeep.com Ayrik planescape and site:candlekeep.com Ayrik nether in the google.com searchbox work fine for me ... search results are a bunch of pages, I get put onto the relevant pages of the relevant scrolls when I click them. (Though nothing is highlighted.)

Google is sometimes broken. Google is always changing stuff. Google is different in different regions. One man's garbage is another man's treasure on google.

Or I don't understand the question?

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 19 Jul 2022 04:28:36
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2022 :  05:23:21  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well even the longest threads here with useful information aren't too long.
The google result does turn up snippets of text from the page you're wanting to jump to. You can still put the exact rare phrase into the candlekeep exact search and then Ctrl F/Next Page spam until you find the page with your result.

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

Lindharin
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2022 :  14:38:16  Show Profile  Visit Lindharin's Homepage Send Lindharin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I'm posting this both to report my own issues with searching the site, and to share a workaround that I'm using in case anyone else is having the same troubles.

If I use the forum's search feature, the submitted search takes about 30 seconds then gives me a "504 Gateway Time-out" message, with a page footer of "nginx/1.21.6". This happens for every search term I've tried, most recently the word "Seldarine", and it has been happening for several weeks at least. I haven't gotten a single search to complete for at least the past few weeks.

If I use google with the search term ["Hand of the Seldarine site:candlekeep.com] (without the square brackets), the first entry returned is for a page labeled "Reimagining Icewind Dale - Candlekeep Forum". The link on Google is: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?whichpage=2.92&TOPIC_ID=23713& and if I follow that link, it just gets redirected to the main page here. Based on Alaundo's post above, this is a known issue due to the subdomain move.

Next, I tried copy/pasting the Google link into a new window and manually altering the URL to change the subdomain and path to: http://candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?whichpage=2.92&TOPIC_ID=23713& but that also didn't work and got redirected to the homepage.

Finally, I tried taking out the "whichpage=2.92" portion, and just went to http://candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23713& and that worked to find the correct thread.

So if anyone else is having the same issues, you can still use Google, but need to take the TOPIC_ID from the Google link and insert it into this URL:
http://candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=#####

Hope this helps someone!
Best,
Lindharin
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2022 :  08:19:44  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Thanks, Lindharin; much appreciated.

Might be a a slight red herring with the NGINX error, as this has been occuring over the past day or so for other aspects of the forum and general initial access. Appears to have resolved for me lately, however.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2022 :  10:19:44  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If anyone runs into an issue jumping from search engine result to the ck site, just roll over and read the TOPIC ID 5 digit code. Paste that into the url over any other forum's code, and you'll get to the forum you need instantly. Google garbles the url if you try to copy or click it..

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000