Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 DM's Guild
 What content is in demand on DM’s Guild?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ByronicHero
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2022 :  22:32:25  Show Profile Send ByronicHero a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello,

So I have not yet published on the DM’s Guild, but I have written and published some stuff on Storyteller’s Vault, which is kind of like the DM’s Guild but for some White Wolf/Onyx Path games.

I see a lot of campaign setting books on DMG but I don’t really have the time to write that amount of detail about an entire nation or region.

I was thinking about writing and sharing some adventures set outside places official adventures haven’t already covered. Obviously not as long and detailed as Rime of the Frostmaiden or Out of the Abyss; more like Lost Mine of Phandelver.

I’ve also thought about releasing documents with pre-generated characters specific to Faerun. However, there might not be much demand for that since most players in my experience in designing their characters unless they are brand new.

Any thoughts or advice are appreciated!

Edited by - ByronicHero on 10 Jul 2022 22:48:02

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2022 :  21:52:52  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's hard to say what's currently in demand. I would suggest looking at both the list of the Most Popular DMG Titles, as well as the list of platinum and other longer term high sellers. That should give you a sense of what sells best. The current list could be a flash in the pan if you will, while the longer-term stuff might have already had its heyday.

Ultimately, if you put out something that's well thought out, well written, well presented, and advertise to the best of your ability, I think you have a good chance of doing alright. That said, more established names clearly sell more stuff.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2022 :  23:26:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is purely anecdotal, from a casual observer -- but what I see a lot of (and why I stopped checking on a regular basis) -- was countless variations on existing classes, 5E versions of classes from earlier editions that lack an official update, and absolutely endless amounts of character backgrounds.

There is lore to be found on the DM's Guild, but the site is heavily focused on rules-based content.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 11 Jul 2022 23:26:42
Go to Top of Page

ByronicHero
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2022 :  16:42:35  Show Profile Send ByronicHero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies! I'm definitely not interested in writing new classes or subclasses. I'm more into the fluff than the mechanics of the game, which is why something like pregens with backstory or adventures set in Faerun are more appealing to me. I was leaning toward a collection of pregens from different regions of Faerun, but if there are already endless character backgrounds, maybe I'll work on a short adventure instead.

Searching the Guild, for example, there doesn't seem to be any custom adventures set in the Moonsea. Could be fun to write one!
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2022 :  21:55:36  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Moonsea is an area that has gotten a lot of organized Adventure League play attention, which is not to say you shouldn't put an adventure there. That might actually be a reason to do so.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000