Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Guidelines for the Geriatric Gamer (Longetivity)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chyron
Learned Scribe

Hong Kong
279 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2004 :  05:19:38  Show Profile  Visit Chyron's Homepage Send Chyron a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
AKA where’s the longetivity?

I was looking for a Potion of Longetivity in my 3E books and noticed there was no entry for one (at least not in my DMs or Epic Rules books). Have these been done away with altogether in 3E? Does any mention of this potion appear in the 3.5 books, or perhaps in another manual?

The closest thing I could find was the Oil of Timelessness in the DM guide, which works great for dead things (I imagine that the occasional vain lich would be hard at work in creating them.) but I see no other magic geared at removing or reducing age?

Is there possibly a new spell that I overlooked that deals with "natural" age reduction?

Just My Thoughts
Chyron :)

Edited by - Chyron on 14 May 2004 05:21:54

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2004 :  05:47:40  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If thou art looking for such knowledge in the Wizards of the (Sword)Coast, tomes then We art afraid that such knowledge may be lost to the sands of time... (ie. 2E books only). Although we've found a delightful little spell in a third party book ( Encylopedia Arcane: Necromancy) The 'Longevity' spell, a handy thing that stops aging for a whole day and only requiring a pint of blood from a creature of the same race this is half the recipient's (usually the caster) age.

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2004 :  10:31:59  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's an interesting component. Especially considering that it's theorized that having a large, very fresh supply of oxigenated blood could stave off some aging effects . . . .

But before any of you think of turning vampire, I'll just point out that blood is destroyed by stomach acids (otherwise carnivores would get hives when eating raw meat from another species). So you'd need to inject fresh blood of a compatible type on a daily basis.

By the way, the first time the above effect was observed (that blood injected is not the same as injested) was when a natural philosopher interested in medicine tried curing a madman of his affliction by injecting lamb's blood. The theory was that the "inherant" gentle nature of the lamb would produce a calming effect, and the doctor figured it worked. The guy calmed down pretty quickly, after all. But of course, it probably had less to do with any "gentle nature" the madman got from the blood, and more to do with the fact that the constant vomiting meant he was loosing strength.

That, by the way, is the usual thing that happens with transfusion problems. And also why, if you're O-negative, the Red Cross likes to send you little notes begging for some blood -- Type-O blood, with an absent Rh-factor, can be given to anyone, so if there's an emergency, they don't have to test people before giving them blood as long as they have some O- on hand.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2004 :  13:46:22  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In 3Ethink, a character's age has no effect and does not exist in terms of game rules and (combat) balance. Thus the absence of longevity magics and ageing effects (as in, for instance, the haste spell, which changes from a tactic of last resort to a standard procedure, especially before its 3.5 revision).

Edited by - Faraer on 14 May 2004 13:46:54
Go to Top of Page

Chyron
Learned Scribe

Hong Kong
279 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2004 :  16:11:14  Show Profile  Visit Chyron's Homepage Send Chyron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's true Faraer. 3E has toned down the aging side effects of many spells, but I would think there are still quite a few mages and alchemists who want to extend their life, but don't have the grace of beign a Chosen or the single mindedness to want to become a lich.

There is the "wish" of course...but that could get tricky.

As for injecting blood, well I never liked needles heh heh...think I will stay away from that. Maybe some Miracle Cream or Oil of Olay

Just My Thoughts
Chyron :)

Edited by - Chyron on 14 May 2004 16:12:13
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2004 :  16:33:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd simply dust off the 2nd edition version and run with it. I don't like all of the changes made to magical items in 3e, so I prefer to ignore some of them in favor of the 2e version.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2004 :  10:11:35  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't blame you there. The unfortunate thing is, it's hard to get lists of such things these days.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Israfel666
Acolyte

Italy
37 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2004 :  15:16:23  Show Profile  Visit Israfel666's Homepage Send Israfel666 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

In 3Ethink, a character's age has no effect and does not exist in terms of game rules and (combat) balance.
Totally wrong. 3E has very strict rules about both cumulative age penalties and bonuses, and death by old age. See page 109 of the 3.5 PHB, or the "description" chapter of the 3.5 SRD.

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2004 :  17:24:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

I don't blame you there. The unfortunate thing is, it's hard to get lists of such things these days.

Well, I've got all of the hardcovers from 1st and 2nd edition (except for the final reprints of the 2E PHB and DMG), so I've got all that info close at hand.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2004 :  17:57:56  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was thinking in terms of balancing spells and magic items and monster abilities. Yes, the age category rules are still there.
Go to Top of Page

Israfel666
Acolyte

Italy
37 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2004 :  21:23:59  Show Profile  Visit Israfel666's Homepage Send Israfel666 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fine, then; I just wanted to explain that a "Potion of Longevity", under 3E, would not be a flavour-only item.

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2004 :  22:10:15  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What would its price be?
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2004 :  00:50:47  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very high (unless you have opened your shop in Evermeet). People are willing to part with a LOT of coin in order to suppress aging.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2004 :  17:01:26  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just look at the multi-million-dollar/pound/euro/yen industrybuilt around anti-wrinkle products, and then imagine they actually WORKED!

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

SoulLord
Seeker

Mexico
62 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  18:34:13  Show Profile  Visit SoulLord's Homepage Send SoulLord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dont remember acurately the effects of the potion besides increasing the years one would live what i do recall is that
one of the main ingredients of it was elven bones.

My elf didnt like at all the people who used,created,traded etc. such potions.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  19:20:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SoulLord

I dont remember acurately the effects of the potion besides increasing the years one would live what i do recall is that
one of the main ingredients of it was elven bones.

My elf didnt like at all the people who used,created,traded etc. such potions.

I don't recall reading anywhere the bit about elf bones being a component...

The potion of longevity reduced the drinker's age by 1d12 years. So if you had enough, you could stick around for quite some time, and never really hit the effects of old age.

But there was a catch: there was a cumulative 1% chance for every such potion consumed that it would backfire, and reverse the effects of all of the previously consumed ones. So if you've been chugging these things for a couple centuries, you could suddenly find yourself in some really bad shape, all in an instant.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000