Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 DM's Guild
 Will DM's guild ever open the door to 0E 2E 3E 4E
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

redking
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2022 :  04:08:47  Show Profile Send redking a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Will there ever be previous editions allowed on DM's Guild? It seems a shame that they won't allow even this level of support for previous editions. Any thoughts?

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2022 :  05:27:12  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Probably not.

After all, the whole point is to encourage buying of Fifth Edition and to maintain interest in it.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2022 :  14:47:50  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wizbro has published re-prints of certain 1E classics before. But the target audience was collectors, not active gamers.

How many of those busy people at Wizbro were at all involved in writing 1E/2E/3E/etc materials?

What do non-Wizbro vendors have to gain by selling materials which are incompatible with current Wizbro products and settings?

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 15 Apr 2022 14:49:14
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2022 :  16:19:46  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And the open game licenses only apply to 3E and beyond, with each edition having its own standards.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2022 :  17:10:38  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The point of 5E was to bring the fractured gaming base back together, which it largely and clearly has done. They don't want to promote earlier editions, which makes perfect sense.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2022 :  02:49:05  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't see the point. There's nothing about the earlier editions that makes WotC keen to keep them alive. The fact that fans haven't moved on to newer editions is something that they simply don't care about.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2022 :  13:31:12  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On DMs Guild? Probably not. But there's still stuff to buy on DriveThruRPG.
Go to Top of Page

DoveArrow
Seeker

97 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2023 :  23:51:45  Show Profile Send DoveArrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can buy the older edition books. I know that's not quite the same thing, but I certainly never had everything from any edition, so it's nice to have those resources available.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000