Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Just Curious - What has D&D taught you
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11746 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2021 :  20:02:34  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Zeromarux just said something in another thread that D&D was the reason they learned to read English so well. This reminded me of something that I've always wondered about. For myself, my knowledge of word processing programs (wordstar, wordperfect, MS word), spreadsheets, making databases, some programming languages, lots of paint programs, 3d design programs, etc.... all to do with computers, I can directly link to a love of dungeons and dragons. Essentially, I owe my career in IT to D&D, because D&D taught me to be meticulous in some respects, inquisitive in others, and untrusting of data in other respects.

I'm just curious, how many of you can directly relate something similar?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2021 :  22:16:44  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well D&D might had not have such an influence in my career life, but it filtered my interest in various mythologies, reading about D&D introduced me to works of classic authors (Poul Anderson, Michael Moorcock, Fritz Leiber, Jack Vance). It also was one of the sourced, that shaped my view of people, situations, and history not just in black and white, due to the aligmement system.
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2021 :  00:32:52  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye, I learned to master english earlier then most because of the 2nd edition D&D wasn't translated in dutch here in the netherlands. The players handbook was an excellent tome; it broadened my vocabulary considerably and made me a lifelong avid english fantasy novel reader (I prefer to read them in english instead of the translated ones).

These forums are also filled scrolls made by some very clever minds with broad ranges of expertise who I love to read once in a while. I picked up an interest in history because of suggested readings and podcasts from scribes here.

DMming also made me approximate simulating the real world into a framework with webs of consequences and influences of various kinds; really handy in reporting my fieldwork consicely.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2021 :  00:44:35  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It taught me that building a world for a TTRPG is very different from building a world for a novel. Worlds made for TTRPG are suboptimal for novels (you can make them work, but you'll be losing out on crafting the various elements around the thematic viewpoint of your story, and that can make all the difference), and worlds built for novels might be too focused for use in TTRPGs, unless the players are willing to build their characters around it (I'm not talking about the mechanics of the character).

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 31 Jul 2021 00:48:47
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

507 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2021 :  01:00:50  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Vocabulary for sure. Expanding my interest into literature like Tolkien, yep. Likely the largest group is social, public speaking, and performance skills.

Then there is writing and research, I hated writing research papers. Apparently no one ever gave me an interesting topic to research. I now make notes upon notes about cosmologies, power dynamics, timelines, etc, etc. All Realms related.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2021 :  01:21:50  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I learned all kinds of things:

1. That pretty girl I am talking to who seems to be absolutely fascinated by everything I say is probably a succubus.
2. No matter how much I prepare, I can always roll a 1 and fail spectacularly so I better be prepared for that.
3. No matter how unlikely I am to succeed at something, I can always roll a 20 so I better be prepared for that, too.
4. If someone says that they need my help with something minor, it is probably going end up turning into a quest for something.
5. True friends are the guys that will go on that quest with you (see 4 above).

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7981 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2021 :  02:15:26  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

1. That pretty girl I am talking to who seems to be absolutely fascinated by everything I say is probably a succubus.

Every attractive female you meet in game is invariably a monster, a trap, or a DM's pet: consequences of these encounters always range from "bad news" to "lethal".

Every attractive female you meet out-of-game will ultimately be exposed to a loyalty saving throw: she will eventually see your pretty little bag of pretty little polyhedral dice. Some of these females will accept your eccentric hobby, a few may even join the game more than once. Most will end up forming excuses (or insults) then rapidly retreating.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2021 :  04:02:10  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Met my first real girlfriend through D&D, she was a prolific poster here at Candlekeep, we lasted a little over five years before things ended. We were happy 90% of the time and it's definitely a period of my life that I look back with sad fondness (I'm sure there's an actual word) over and think about the what ifs. My original D&D dice, which I had for like ten years, casualties that were left at her house and never seen again also! The replacement ones I've used in the years since, I don't know, they just don't feel the same.

-The first DM that I ever had whose attention to detail and minutia matched mine, I also met here (or WotC, but there's all that overlap that I really don't remember). He was a published author for another game system, so the campaign was super fun, but just from conflicting schedules from life and stuff like that, sessions became more and more erratic until the game stopped. He was a great guy if not a little eccentric, and in retrospect, I'm sad that I misinterpreted some of his enthusiasm for other intentions. We reconnected via Facebook a couple of years later, talked a little, but sadly, he died from an inoperable brain tumor that was only discovered when it very suddenly had a dire impact on his health and hospitalized him. RIP Mike.

-Made some good friends through D&D, though nobody I really kept in contact with over the years (the main person I did kind of went off the deep end recently because of politics). People I was more acquaintances with than friends, there were plenty and that's something that is still fun to see every time I log in here- I've "known" posters here for, in some case, 10, 15, 20 years and that's crazy! D&D also brought out the bad side of people and I made a few enemies, one of whom went as far as trying to doxx myself and my girlfriend at the time, but thankfully that person isn't here anymore- and I think that we're all older and mature and that the person in question would apologize for their behavior and I would accept and forgive.

-At the end of the day, it has been a hobby that has given me plenty of enjoyment, from playing to reading to worldbuilding and everything inbetween and I really can't imagine my life if I never discovered D&D.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 31 Jul 2021 04:05:37
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
755 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2021 :  04:35:05  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

DnD taught me the words dais, and bec-de-corbin and dweomer (and fonkin and hoddypeak)
DnD taught me the colors mauve and ochre
DnD taught me that we all take risks, down here in the dungeon ( Bargle! )

DnD also gave me Ed Greenwood, and that's been pretty cool

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
893 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2021 :  11:24:24  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Going through Gygax first edition AD&D really helped my vocabulary. It showed the distinction between arcanabula versus grimoire.

D&D also fostered my current career as a mathematician. One of my services at the game was bypassing the need for rolling multiple dice for damage. The 14d6 fireball (remember no damage caps in 1st edition) had expected damage of 49 hp. Not adding up multiple dice rolls helped to keep the game from bogging down, always a good thing.

Last, I would say D&D taught me how to interact with people face-to-face. This is doubly so when acting as DM, which I think requires Skill Focus (Diplomacy).
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11746 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2021 :  15:58:06  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJA

DnD taught me the words dais, and bec-de-corbin and dweomer (and fonkin and hoddypeak)
DnD taught me the colors mauve and ochre
DnD taught me that we all take risks, down here in the dungeon ( Bargle! )

DnD also gave me Ed Greenwood, and that's been pretty cool

Lol, I gotta add just because of exactly what you wrote... YOUR thread on five NPC's has taught me numerous words as well. I am constantly surprised by it, and oftentimes looking up the words just endears me to what you wrote just for its poignance.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2021 :  17:46:45  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik
Every attractive female you meet out-of-game will ultimately be exposed to a loyalty saving throw: she will eventually see your pretty little bag of pretty little polyhedral dice. Some of these females will accept your eccentric hobby, a few may even join the game more than once. Most will end up forming excuses (or insults) then rapidly retreating.

Protip: You can filter those likely to fail the loyalty roll by opening up with this line: "Are you a foxwoman because you have certainly charmed me." If she doesn't roll her eyes and walk away, you have a keeper there. Or, she is a succubus.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11746 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2021 :  15:40:39  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Protip: You can filter those likely to fail the loyalty roll by opening up with this line: "Are you a foxwoman because you have certainly charmed me." If she doesn't roll her eyes and walk away, you have a keeper there. Or, she is a succubus.

Or a deepspawn's "child" the it uses to lure unsuspecting men into its lair with.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000