Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What god(s) do Ettercaps follow?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arravis
Seeker

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2004 :  19:36:43  Show Profile  Visit Arravis's Homepage Send Arravis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Any ideas? Not sure if there is an "official" answer on this or not...

Chyron
Learned Scribe

Hong Kong
279 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2004 :  22:53:32  Show Profile  Visit Chyron's Homepage Send Chyron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, ettercaps are not all that intelligent (avg Int rating of 6) but they do posses above average wisdom (avg 15). Also they fall under the Aberration classification of which the MM writes of such creatures having “an alien mindset”. Like others of this classification (mind flayers, beholders, etc) they don’t normally submit to the standard theories of theology as it is known amongst the humanoid races.

Still you might argue that they are in some ways related to driders and/or chitines (all being aberrations of mixed spider form). And according to the novel Insurrection, Chitines do venerate Lolth, so perhaps ettercaps might in some small way follow her as well, but I still think their low Int would not grant them any type of real understanding of her theology, they might simply see her as “the egg mother” or something like that.

Just My Thoughts
Chyron :)

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2004 :  01:42:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chitines do venerate Lolth; this was covered in some detail in the entries on chitines and choldriths within Monsters of Faerun and Underdark.

I'd doubt that ettercaps worship Lolth, something along the lines of the Xammux(from the Book of Vile Darkness) or Malar(for something really creepy) would be appropriate, I believe.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2004 :  02:18:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arravis

Any ideas? Not sure if there is an "official" answer on this or not...

I'm not entirely sure, but I believe the Monster Mythology tome suggests deity possibilities for Ettercap faith. I'll have to check to be certain though.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000