Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What on earth did WOTC do to the Firbolg!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2004 :  02:45:50  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

Yesterday one of my players asked what ECL a Firbolg would be. I thought there Giantkin they'd probably have an ECL around the same as an Ogre or maybe a little higher. I remebered from 2ed that the Giantkin where lesser giants and not as strong as a real Giant,so I dug through my manual until I found its stats in MM2 and wohoooooo.

The ECL for Firbolg is 18!

More Bizarely its got a strength of 36! Which means its stronger than every giant except Storm Giants!

What on earth happaned to the Firbolg?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

D-brane
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2004 :  06:08:30  Show Profile  Visit D-brane's Homepage Send D-brane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't forget that they are over 10-feet tall and weigh more than 800 pounds. Those stats must also be taken into consideration afterall, since firbolgs do make rather imposing opponents.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2004 :  15:20:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's mainly due to its 13 HD-That's 13 out of the 18 ECL-And the +5 LA isn't too bad; they do have that huge Strength bonus, as you've stated.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2004 :  15:43:50  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

It's mainly due to its 13 HD-That's 13 out of the 18 ECL-And the +5 LA isn't too bad; they do have that huge Strength bonus, as you've stated.

My point is that the 3ed Firbolg doesnt resemble the 2ed version, The 2ed version was around the same level as a Hill Giant

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2004 :  16:11:24  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't remember any stats for the 2e firbolg, mosty because I never saw any. However, I remember them from at least one FR novel, which described them as the least of the giantkin.

Of course, I'm a bit confused on the name. The Irish firbolgs weren't giants in any of the versions I've read . . . .

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2004 :  16:34:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

I don't remember any stats for the 2e firbolg, mosty because I never saw any. However, I remember them from at least one FR novel, which described them as the least of the giantkin.

Giant, Firbolg, page 136 of the 2nd edition Monstrous Manual. According to it, they are the most powerful of all the giant-kin. 10.5 feet tall, 800 pounds, 13+7 HD...

quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Of course, I'm a bit confused on the name. The Irish firbolgs weren't giants in any of the versions I've read . . . .

'Tis true. Of course, in Greco-Roman mythology, gorgons weren't evil metallic bulls, either.

And while I'm certainly no expert on draconic legends, I'm not recalling any tales (outside of modern fantasy fiction) that had dragons breathing anything other than fire...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2004 :  16:59:32  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, dragons breathing fire is purely western mythology. The Oriental dragons didn't have breath weapons (or wings, of course), though they had so much mana they didn't need it.

Of course, there is a dragon with a non-fire breath weapon. The real-life komodo dragon. Its breath is so bad it can make some small creatures faint.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Chyron
Learned Scribe

Hong Kong
279 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2004 :  17:06:52  Show Profile  Visit Chyron's Homepage Send Chyron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert...
And while I'm certainly no expert on draconic legends, I'm not recalling any tales (outside of modern fantasy fiction) that had dragons breathing anything other than fire...

It is my impression that the some of the original Gygax dragons were based somewhat on some Chinese folklore. Many are the tales of them being able to prew forth a variety of effects based on their title. Some were lords of rivers, some of the sky, some of the various oceans etc...and as such they had different powers, could speak and were albe to shift forms and do magic. Of course Tolkien's Smaug was an intelligent talker too. So it seemed that the orginal design blended Western European forms with some Far Eastern characteristics.

Just My Thoughts
Chyron :)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000