Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Dungeons & Dragons movie in the Forgotten Realms!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
178 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2024 :  15:22:12  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The movie barely broke even at the box office in terms of direct budget, and probably fell short on marketing. But the film has also done very well on home media and then on streaming, so it either has turned a decent profit or will do so in the near future. With cinema-going collapsing post-pandemic (not helped by the last major draw, Marvel, losing the plot), that's actually a better performance then it would have been in, say, 2018, when it would have probably buried any chance of a future D&D movie. The wild success of Baldur's Gate III also shows that there is a lot of interest in D&D if done well. The incredibly good reviews of the film also don't hurt.

A sequel is therefore possible, but I suspect it would need to be somewhat lower in budget (Pine has also noted the budget/ROI debate is why the fourth reboot Star Trek film didn't happen, and his personal view was that Star Trek movies should be much lower in budget and more character focused like the 1980s movies). I wouldn't rule out a sequel being built around streaming rather than for cinema release.

There are multiple live-action TV shows in development: a Drizzt-based one from the John Wick team, a Dragonlance-based one with Joe Manganiello involves, and a totally original series which sounds like the closest to actually getting greenlit. There's also multiple animated projects under discussion. There's also strong insider reports that Netflix opened discussions with Wizards of the Coast and Larian over a Baldur's Gate project, but they're having issues with the existing contracts between Hasbro/WotC/eOne and Paramount. They'll do a deal if they can but it sounds overly complex (possibly Paramount might instead develop a Baldur's Gate project directly for Paramount+ instead).
Go to Top of Page

Giant Snake
Seeker

59 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2024 :  19:33:13  Show Profile Send Giant Snake a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have no problem telling a near stranger that it was the best movie of the year I saw. Now I didn’t see Godzilla yet, but it really was all round more enjoyable than most big movies and I liked it wayyyyy more than usual popular movies (and would have even if I didn’t care about Faerun at all)
Go to Top of Page

Pacior
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2024 :  07:40:05  Show Profile Send Pacior a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Overall: 8.5/10

Base passing score: 6.

Dungeons & Dragons IP, +1

Humor, but Hollywood-style: +0.5

Various familiar monsters and spells make an appearance that will make you smile: +1

Not a cheesy bard, but still ass-kicking, yet Chris Pine is still handsome and good at acting: +1

Excellent special effects and smooth action: +1

Invincible Holy Father: +1

Now the St. Padre stereotype is deeper: -1

A watered-down plot with little to no substance: -1

Running gag: -1

Overall: A mass fantasy adventure movie in DND guise, forgettable but worth the price of admission.

The script of this movie, which is very classic and commercial, with dead relatives at the end of a road, assembling a squad, problems, solving problems, uniting everyone, and fighting a boss in a big reunion, which includes character growth as well as the elimination of misunderstandings, is unmistakable and in line with expectations. This is similar to the critically acclaimed CR anime Voice of the Machine, except that the latter is more of a running gag in an attempt to recreate the show's plot.

STEPPERMOTOR.FR has a wide range of motors, now available High temperature stepper motors, Pancake stepper motor and so on.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000