Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Dungeons & Dragons movie in the Forgotten Realms!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2021 :  23:50:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Way to utterly twist my words into something I never said or even implied.

I said you don't need the game rules -- I didn't say anything about maintaining setting lore. The two are not the same.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2021 :  00:14:40  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I mean, it would be nice to see - for example - a wizard having to get creative in scrounging for supplies after they've been divested of all their equipment.

Example: that same wizard "acquires" a novice Invoker's spellbook (let's call it the equivalent of a 5th-level Wizard's tome, in game terms) in order to arm himself and instead of the neat little squares of compressed bat guano he's used to purchasing from a reputable alchemist, he stoops to collecting rat feces (which don't work quite as well, but are the best analog he can locate under the circumstances).

There you go! That scenario is fairly faithful to D&D's rules while allowing some flexibility/alternative interpretation in the mix.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

bloodtide_the_red
Learned Scribe

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2021 :  04:18:28  Show Profile  Visit bloodtide_the_red's Homepage Send bloodtide_the_red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, I'm getting the idea that if they change setting stuff that would be wrong, but changing the 'game rules' is just fine.

If the setting rules don't matter, why does the setting descriptions or setting lore matter? They make the city of Neverwinter on a floating iceberg because some idiot writer/director/producer thinks it is cool. After all, the non fans will never know it's "wrong", so it does not matter.
Go to Top of Page

Qilintha
Seeker

76 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2021 :  14:20:23  Show Profile Send Qilintha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From new rumours it seems that synopsis is outdated as I found articles that says that that synopsis is not official. Actually I've read other articles implying that the movie will be set in Waterdeep not Neverwinter.
Go to Top of Page

HighOne
Learned Scribe

214 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2021 :  15:30:00  Show Profile Send HighOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bloodtide_the_red

If you don't stick to the rules, then your making Generic Fantasy Movie 109. So that is saying EVERY fantasy movie is a D&D/FR movie right? There is nothing that makes a D&D/FR movie different, right?
So anything can be anything and just slap the D&D or FR label on it?

3E and 4E had very different rules from OD&D, but Wizards slapped the D&D label on them anyway, so obviously D&D can survive the loss or transformation of some of its rules.

To put it another way: Even if the movie is only 75% accurate to the 5E rules, that's still more accurate than 3E was to the original D&D. So if 3E can justly wear the D&D label, then so, by all rights, can the movie.
Go to Top of Page

Qilintha
Seeker

76 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2021 :  11:52:53  Show Profile Send Qilintha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am confused on why we are expecting accuracy to the rules in a movie. It's like expecting accuracy to the rules in a FR novel, it doesn't happen. We should think about the movies sticking to the lore. But considering we have basically no synopsis, I think they just started shooting.
Go to Top of Page

BadCatMan
Senior Scribe

Australia
401 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2021 :  12:41:14  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, they just started filming in Ireland on 1st May.

The story summary I presented in the first post was later reported to be not official and not accurate. However, I maintain it's not necessarily incorrect, as it might be only partially off, and none of the story information we've found so far can be said to be official or accurate either. It might be an older version, or falsified to prevent spoilers. (But then, I would say that, I was the one who publicised it and got abused by a reporter for asking for clarification of why it was wrong. I prefer this version of the story too.)

The other best description comes Production Weekly, a professional movie/TV industry publication. It reads:

"The action-adventure tale centers on Edgin (Pine) a warrior and his band of mystical creatures – including a half-dragon and a cunning gnome – as they embark on a dangerous journey to find a mythical treasure."

A good few rumours and "exclusive reports" have been made in the entertainment news for the last few years, most building on this second story. I've compiled the most reliable of them at the wiki article (some of which flew under the radar previously) so we can start to glean some details of the story. I'm not convinced, but obviously, I've been burned before. It's scant, but at this point, there are enough ideas in there I could string together an adventure or too.
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Dungeons_%26_Dragons_(movie)#Story

People involved like producer Roy Lee have promised to go deep into the lore, and the reporters reference things like Palarandusk the dragon, Triadic Knights, and the drow House Horlbar, which are no mere surface D&D details or things from the video games, but proper old Realmslore. Time will tell whether they're true or not or whether it fits the Realms, but I remain cautious optimistic.

BadCatMan, B.Sc. (Hons), M.Sc.
Scientific technical editor
Head DM of the Realms of Adventure play-by-post community
Administrator of the Forgotten Realms Wiki

Edited by - BadCatMan on 25 May 2021 12:43:55
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2021 :  19:52:36  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OOoooOOoo! A gnome! Please don't let him/her look like Billy Barty did in the He-Man movie.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2021 :  06:27:56  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

OOoooOOoo! A gnome! Please don't let him/her look like Billy Barty did in the He-Man movie.

.... that movie was enjoyable, but he-man it was not and that character was gosh awful

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2021 :  03:02:25  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't you mean the Skeletor movie?
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2021 :  00:56:44  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The guy from Bridgerton is playing a Paladin.ll
Go to Top of Page

BadCatMan
Senior Scribe

Australia
401 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2021 :  02:28:16  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

He mentioned that in relation to playing Diablo, so I assume it's just his favourite class in the game. Some articles have taken that out of context, along with a lot of other things.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2021 :  02:55:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BadCatMan

quote:

He mentioned that in relation to playing Diablo, so I assume it's just his favourite class in the game. Some articles have taken that out of context, along with a lot of other things.

Something on the internet has been taken out of context?!?

Go to Top of Page

BadCatMan
Senior Scribe

Australia
401 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2021 :  03:20:35  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know, right?

Anyway, the only confirmed character for the D&D movie was spilled in this interview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeINY_h_AZw&list=LL&index=2
But it's clearly an NPC role.

Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2021 :  04:08:54  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by BadCatMan

quote:

Something on the internet has been taken out of context?!?

Context was taken out of the internet a long time ago.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

BadCatMan
Senior Scribe

Australia
401 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2021 :  00:42:58  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First good images of filming, with actors in costume, banners with symbols, and bald dudes with head tattoos.
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/gallery/pictures-filming-begins-new-dungeons-20759657

Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2021 :  17:49:18  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

FR novels don't even stick to all the rules, and they never have.

In the case of RAS, I would further claim the novels ignore most of the rules.

Edited by - Delnyn on 13 Jun 2021 17:50:04
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2022 :  23:10:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We have a trailer!

https://youtu.be/IiMinixSXII

I'm liking what I'm seeing, here.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2022 :  23:18:13  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Owlbear, Mimic, and a Gelatinous Cube! Nice touch using a Black Dragon instead of the usual Red. If only Ed can make an Elminster cameo.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2022 :  23:36:56  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Video going over the "Easter Eggs"

https://youtu.be/tg3BMxH4wEw

We have a Harper Pin on Chris,

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2022 :  00:37:03  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Druid is a Tiefling and there is some speculation that the Barbarian is a Dwarf.

Also the party has a Sorcerer not a Wizard.

And Chris Pine is playing a Bard.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2022 :  02:33:05  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alae,

I'm the odd fan out today it seems. As a high priest of Iyacthu Xvim, I love hate, so I'll throw out my hate inducing comment herein.

The feel I get from this trailer is one of Jeremy Irons, redux, but with better CGI. That white dragon looked like it had about :35 seconds devoted to it from a 2nd grade graphics art student who is blind and being burned alive while creating that 'work of art'. That white dragon appears destined for the fail pile. Sometimes people roll a '1' at work, it's just awkward when they do it for (8) eight hours straight... 'Channel Negative Energy hate crowd.'

The inclusion of the particular creature's in the trailer appears to be a terribly done effort looking to attain low hanging fruit excitement from the fan base. Seemingly, they look to demonstrate their mad skills with thumbing through the monster manual with the patience of a cat immersed in a (40) forty cubic yard pile of catnip. In lieu of the clearly obvious eight year old patience approach, they should (and I pray to Oghma and Deneir) focus on the story, immersed in the Realms, not trophy mentions that happen to be potentially in the Realms.

The original D&D movies suffered from many things, but one of the worst felonies was picking easily identifiable and trite inclusions demonstrating the super D&D'ness of the creators. The fan base is not stupid, and frankly shouldn't be treated as such. After watching that trailer, I feel as if the creators of the trailer are in fact treating our fan base as stupid. We know it is in the Forgotten Realms. We know it is therefore of course, D&D: tell a story that happens to be good and just so happens to be in the Forgotten Realms. It is intellectually disgusting to see the fanbase treated as nothing less than a tireless droid factory that is obsessed with quantity over quality. That is frankly how I feel movie making has been for so long because to a starving person a fig newton looks like a damn steak dinner at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse!

I sincerely hope I'm wrong here. If I am wrong, I'll be the first to come back here with fervor at my being wrong and declare to the heavens the amazingness of the movie. This being the first foot forward for an attempt at a modern D&D movie, it smacks of being a pile of refuse. Perhaps there will be a neo-otyugh on hand to clean up the mess if this goes the way it seems it is on track to be as a movie.

I want to leave my post by saying this: people like of course Ed Greenwood, Eric Boyd, Steven Schend, R.A. Salvatore, Elizabeth Cunningham, and a ton of other (sorry for leaving others out, it's just a long list) authors/creators deserve better than this with their amazing stories!

Amarast,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2022 :  03:29:47  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chris Pine = action movie with some budget. Surrounded by some young women to help hide his middle age.

So I don't really expect much lore or backstory. Just the modern-day equivalent of old-era sword & sorcery movies ... a plucky band of heroes, an implausibly melodramatic villain, a series of (mis)adventures which bring them together for an epic confrontation.

I do expect a couple hours of entertainment. Basically Hercules/Xena stuff with different characters. They'll doubtless plug in as many call-outs and easter eggs as they can, but it's not really D&D or the Realms - it just wears their trappings.

No need to hate on something which promises entertainment. Maybe not even memorable entertainment, but entertainment nonetheless. Go with the flow, have some fun with it.

Hasbro is sort of new to this game so who knows where they'll go with it. They certainly can't make a movie much worse than the previous D&D titles (movies which were honestly quite awful but still had merits to D&D fans). And they'd probably have to work hard if they wanted to vandalize their IPs the way Disney does.

Let's just say I hope for the best. I won't be terribly surprised and I won't be terribly disappointed. But maybe I'll be terribly impressed.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 22 Jul 2022 03:37:44
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2022 :  03:40:43  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The red dragon had a budget, the others didn't xD
Wild shaping into an owlbear (definition of magical monstrosity)
I read the synopsis and maybe the Red Wizard won't really 'join' like the synopsis wished, and could just be an out and out enemy. Rough.
This movie won't have any time for discussing actual realms things, as I'm sure someone at paramount sees flavor as just exposition. Exposition probably is reserved solely for setting up action setpieces as a comedic setup punchline from front to back. But who knows!

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, Long Live Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling.wordpress.com

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
237 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2022 :  11:35:58  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually looks better than I expected. I'm sure many folks want to see a more serious D&D film, myself included, but I think if this has some moderate success it could act as a springboard for more D&D stories TV & film, and thus the potential for more serious stories.

I do think it's good that it is not trying to be LotR though, in the sense that it focuses on a small group of characters, rather than the fate of the world itself, like a true sword & sorcery adventure, which I feel personally both D&D and FR is more like rather than epic fantasy.

Edited by - deserk on 22 Jul 2022 11:39:37
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2022 :  15:36:49  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It doesn't look too bad, which is already above my expectations. But I'll just say: honor among thieves --> no rogue characters ...
Go to Top of Page

Master Katarn
Acolyte

30 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2022 :  15:51:21  Show Profile  Visit Master Katarn's Homepage Send Master Katarn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deserk

Actually looks better than I expected. I'm sure many folks want to see a more serious D&D film, myself included, but I think if this has some moderate success it could act as a springboard for more D&D stories TV & film, and thus the potential for more serious stories.

I do think it's good that it is not trying to be LotR though, in the sense that it focuses on a small group of characters, rather than the fate of the world itself, like a true sword & sorcery adventure, which I feel personally both D&D and FR is more like rather than epic fantasy.

Record of Lodoss War is probably the best filmed D&D adaptation just without the license. So I'm not a fan of this comedic take, but I do see your point that there could be more serious D&D down the line. The best chance is streaming tv I think. I see Paramount distributing this. A D&D tv show could bolster Paramount Plus's lineup along with their ongoing Star Trek to better fight Disney Plus, Amazon Prime, etc.
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2022 :  16:27:54  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WotC is scared of success, it seems. They say the movie is "based on Guardians of the Galaxy", but Guardians had a lot of non-humans in the protagonists' team. Heck, there was even a tree. Here, we have a single tiefling, and that is. Not even an elf, let alone something more exotic...

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
275 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2022 :  17:40:10  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

WotC is scared of success, it seems. They say the movie is "based on Guardians of the Galaxy", but Guardians had a lot of non-humans in the protagonists' team. Heck, there was even a tree. Here, we have a single tiefling, and that is. Not even an elf, let alone something more exotic...

Well, they can hardly represent every race in D&D, the party would have to be damn near platoon sized!
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2022 :  17:48:47  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At the very least the "common races. There are like 5 protagonists. An elf and a dwarf wouldn't have been a problem.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000