Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Races of the Wild
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2004 :  19:25:49  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
WOTC has posted the cover image and details for Races of the Wild.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/dndacc/179280000

Hopefully, this link will remain up

Thoughts? Opinions?

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2004 :  22:30:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
from link
a new race is introduced

Does this surprise anyone?

I was vaguely considering picking this up, but my opinion has just slipped a large amount of scales south on it...

Oh, and can anyone make out the text over the logo? I think I'm reading "Race Guide...", but I'm not sure.
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2004 :  22:40:07  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Intriguing enough....

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2004 :  22:44:50  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The text reads "A Race Guide for," followed by the D&D logo, which seems to imply that this is a race guide for Dungeons & Dragons(shock of shocks!).

After the announcement of Races of Stone, I was somewhat dreading this sort of thing becoming a regular, but as we're already moving toward the middle of the "Complete..." class series, it was only a matter of time before the over-intensive racial coverage began.

In defense of WotC, these books are not designed as Forgotten Realms books, and the inclusion of their material into FR campaigns is entirely optional. I doubt very highly we'll be seeing members of the new races from either book in official FR material in the near future, as much as I doubt that Maenads and Dromites (of Expanded Psionics Handbook fame) will be creeping into Faerūn any time soon.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2004 :  23:28:48  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ive got Races of Faerun, why on earth would I want to buy Races of the Wild (or any o other of the Races Books for that matter

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2004 :  01:05:28  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't rightly know, Dargoth. Maybe you might want some in-depth game information for your favorite race. Perhaps you'd like to see some feats, spells, items, or prestige classes that seem designed from a dwarven, or elven, or gnomish perspective, rather than from a human stereotype of those peoples.

In any core D&D product, there are bound to be pieces that are perfectly apt for Forgotten Realms games. There's even sure to be a non-game element or two that enhance the story of the Realms. Just as likely, there will be people who decry the book as "useless" for FR campaigns, and they may be completely right, as it applies to their own groups.

Personally, I plan to flip through the book, and at least give it a fair shake (as I'd like to think I do with all D&D products). The books can't possibly hold less game material than Races of Faerūn did, and sometimes, that's what I'm looking for.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2004 :  04:08:53  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia
Does this surprise anyone?

Wait. You mean WOTC has a pattern of having new races in each new book?

quote:

I was vaguely considering picking this up, but my opinion has just slipped a large amount of scales south on it...

I was curious about it, but now...<shrug> There are plenty of D20 options out there that have already covered these races in great detail.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2004 :  08:40:19  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Ive got Races of Faerun, why on earth would I want to buy Races of the Wild (or any o other of the Races Books for that matter

Id take a guess that its all down to WotC's idea of RPG fans wanting crunch, crunch and more crunch! Whilst Races of Faerun is the book for us FR fans, WotC believe that most people want rules and stats for races, not FR specifics. Therefore this new "Races" series appeals more to them than Races of Faerun does.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"

Edited by - Lord Rad on 06 May 2004 08:40:45
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2004 :  15:43:29  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad
Id take a guess that its all down to WotC's idea of RPG fans wanting crunch, crunch and more crunch! Whilst Races of Faerun is the book for us FR fans, WotC believe that most people want rules and stats for races, not FR specifics. Therefore this new "Races" series appeals more to them than Races of Faerun does.

Exactly what I believe their line of thinking is as well. I can't blame them if products like this sell.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2004 :  16:55:43  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't buy any Core products (the only ones I bought were the 3.0 PHB, DMG and MM). I just buy FR logoed books. I use the 3.5 SRD to get the Core rules. 3.5 is still technically 3rd edition, and my policy is to buy only one set of Core books per edition. Sorry WotC.

As for Races of the Wild, please! Races of Faerun can't be toppled over by some off the cuff, random Core deliberations on elves (a la "Complete Book of Elves" in 2nd ed.) I have enough work as a DM that I don't need a Core product on races that will require me to spend countless hours to convert over to FR. You want to read on a FR race? open Races of Faerun, and read on it. No need for another dead weight in my gaming bag...
Go to Top of Page

D-brane
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2004 :  08:02:48  Show Profile  Visit D-brane's Homepage Send D-brane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can anyone solidly confirm or deny the rumors I've heard concerning the racial content in this tome?. It's said to include stats and racial details for both Wood Elves, and Wild Elves . . . ? .

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2004 :  09:54:02  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why should stats for both Wood Elves and Wild Elves be problematic? We've already got that in FRCS and Races of Faerūn; wild elves and wood elves constitute distinct subraces. Their inclusion as separate subraces in Races of the Wild would, in my opinion, be appropriate for a book which is meant to expand the options for wilderness characters in general, and elves in particular.
Go to Top of Page

D-brane
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2004 :  09:58:29  Show Profile  Visit D-brane's Homepage Send D-brane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't mean to suggest that the inclusion of such stats would be problematic. I was simply curious about whether it is true or not because, like you, I see their usage in the RotW tome to be appropriate as well.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2004 :  15:27:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*checks 3.5 MM*

This information already exists in the core line, actually.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2004 :  03:33:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed it does, but (depending upon your own personal opinion) unfortunately/fortunately D-brane never purchased any of the 3e Monster Manuals. He's always been of the belief that the 1e/2e MMs - excluding stats (which can be obtained from the SRD) - contain everything he needs.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2004 :  02:05:49  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to Enworld this book has been delayed and will be replaced by Races of Destiny, a book on Humans, Half orcs and Half elves

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2004 :  03:56:05  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

According to Enworld this book has been delayed and will be replaced by Races of Destiny, a book on Humans, Half orcs and Half elves

See what happens when I post a thread on a product?

Here is the exact article from ENWorld

quote:
This email was forwarded to me by James Mathe of RPGNow - I'm not sure what the original source is:
TSR 17928 D&D Races of the Wild HC has been postponed. TSR 17737 D&D Races of Destiny HC will be released instead. Races of Destiny covers all of the races of "man." Half-elves, half-orcs, half-ogres, half-giants. The MSRP is $29.95. The street date for Races of Destiny is December 17th.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2004 :  06:46:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Is this book even necessary? I mean, granted the other races have some specific and unique properties, but I can't see any reason why humans would need a 'Race' book. It's seems rather redundant.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2004 :  07:01:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
Is this book even necessary? I mean, granted the other races have some specific and unique properties, but I can't see any reason why humans would need a 'Race' book. It's seems rather redundant.

Perhaps it'll be some bastardization or such of Eric Boyd's wonderful work in Races of Faerun...
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2004 :  07:41:33  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Your really asking the wrong person

I think all the Races of X books are a waste of money, the only one Id be interested in would be a Races of Planes ie Plane Touched for other races

As for the Races of X books, Ive already got Races of Faerun I dont need to spend another "200" dollars on Race specfic books! and lets face it I bet you alot of the stuff from the Races of X books are ripped from Existing products

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2004 :  07:42:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, I don't find any particular comfort in that wondering...

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2004 :  09:07:14  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just found this little bit of news....

(as to why it has a "TSR" prefix on the code, I have no idea! )

quote:
TSR 17928 D&D Races of the Wild HC has been postponed. TSR 17737 D&D Races of Destiny HC will be released instead. Races of Destiny covers all of the races of "man." Half-elves, half-orcs, half-ogres, half-giants. The MSRP is $29.95. The street date for Races of Destiny is December 17th.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2004 :  09:57:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look up a few posts, Lord Rad, Sirius already brought us that news.
On the TSR prefix-I'd guess it's meant to differentiate them from Magic products and such.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2004 :  10:55:41  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

On the TSR prefix-I'd guess it's meant to differentiate them from Magic products and such.

Oops, sorry Thatll teach me to not to post before checking my Active Topics

Lord Rad

Edited by - Lord Rad on 10 May 2004 10:56:05
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2004 :  13:20:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Either that, or you've simply allowed the title of "Lord" to go to your head .

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2004 :  14:42:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Either that, or you've simply allowed the title of "Lord" to go to your head .

I was very careful to include the full title when addressing "Lord" Rad, lest I be assigned to cleaning detail again...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2004 :  14:58:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, and I feel that I must again apologise on Brax's behalf. The mess he'd made in the dungeon at the time you were assigned that cleaning detail was simply the result of him ignoring my advice about what happens when you mix acids and bases

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2004 :  17:01:26  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There was an explanation on the ENWorld messageboard in a thread devoted to this news. I believe your explanation is exactly the reason for the TSR prefix.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2004 :  08:53:51  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oooooooo Very nice cover art

Im actually quite looking forward to this product as it deals with my favorite races.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2004 :  15:25:44  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Im actually quite looking forward to this product as it deals with my favorite races.

I'd like to see a bigger image, but it does look good. I wonder how much recycled art will be found within.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2004 :  22:26:06  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

I'd like to see a bigger image, but it does look good. I wonder how much recycled art will be found within.

Oh come now, Sirius, youre getting more down and disgruntled with WotC by the second

Still, I suppose Eberron season is soon to take hold Doooooooommm We're all dooooommmmmmmmed!

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000