Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The color of Shadowtop wood/trees?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AlexMcClay2000
Acolyte

Australia
13 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2020 :  08:52:13  Show Profile Send AlexMcClay2000 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So I mostly looked at the 3e FRCS and Volo's Guide to All Things Magical, and a bit on the FR wiki and I can't find anything that says what the color of the wood is. I'm asking because I made a magic wand for one of my players and Shadowtop wood is used in the making of wands, staves, and the like. So I'd like to know the color for the description.

Alex McClay

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2020 :  16:45:01  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bear in mind that wood can be stained or painted quite easily. Granted, the type of wood can have an effect on things, but I wouldn't make it drive what you want something to look like.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2020 :  17:46:10  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did try to search for an answer however could not find one.

The simple answer is it looks like wood. That though I know is too simple because those more detailed minded are well aware wood has shades of colors and hues.

The only thing that I can offer better about the appearance of the wood of Shadowtop is that its leaves appear oak like and of course the leaves are copper looking.

With that I would offer the idea that the wood would look like oak, with copper tones. Depending on how the wood dries might bring out more copper color.

As indicated woods can be altered by paint or stain, it also could be effected by magics depending on what the wands and staves are made to do. Some spell components might add color to the wood as it is infused into the wood.

One other option may be to ask Ed and hope he has the information and a answer to provide.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2023 :  22:53:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We now have an answer to this query, courtesy of the Q4Ed thread in his Discord:

quote:
Ed Greenwood — Today at 1:44 PM
Hi! Okay, have you ever seen grained wood that’s been burned with a blowtorch for ornamental reasons? So that it’s all browned, but parallel “grain lines” throughout it are darker than the rest? That’s what shadowtop wood looks like: a rich mahogany brown with much darker (almost black) grain lines running through it, parallel but usually wavy. The wood is dense (so, heavy), durable, and very strong.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000