Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Virtual/E-Gaming in FR - how to get into a game?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1281 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2020 :  20:10:24  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I probably could try to google my way through this, but does anyone here have experience joining a FR remote-virtual campaign? I've only D&D'd in person before, but with the virus potentially requiring a few months (fingers crossed not that long) of home work and home play, I am looking at how to fill my time.

If anyone has any advice, suggestions, websites or forums that work, that would be great.

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2020 :  20:26:57  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Seravin,

There are several different ways. I've got some links for you and then my answer.

https://www.lifewire.com/rpg-tools-4140319
https://dnd.wizards.com/products/digital-games/mobiletablet-pcmac/roll20

I think it depends on which system you are using. I don't play 4e/5e, so I don't know about that approach. However, I've used Discord and Hangouts for options in the past, and they were ok. That's probably going to be your best if you don't play 4e/5e.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2020 :  20:49:01  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My group has exclusively played online for years now, through voice chat on Discord, sometimes using roll20 if needed.

I’m actually starting a new Realms game next week, using Swords of the Serpentine for the mechanics!

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2020 :  22:55:14  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Discord and Roll20 is a great combo. Or old-fashioned Skype.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2020 :  00:40:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've not tried it, but I've heard only good things about Roll20, myself.

I also saw a recent Facebook post, in a FR group, about some Virtual Tabletop that was offering some nice discounts, or something, right now.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2020 :  01:46:23  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

Discord and Roll20 is a great combo. Or old-fashioned Skype.

That's how this old grognard and his grognard buddies stared roleplaying more.

40 year olds, all married with lots of kids sure can get together easier online for 3-5 hours on a Sunday night than arranging a day of travel and sitters and cashing in Good Husband Tokens to meet face to face for 8-10 hours.

We started using roll20 with discord about ...4 months ago or so. Maybe 5. Have played 15 times, and this Sunday will be #16. Each session is 3.5-5.5 hours long.

Quite pleased with that here!

My only negative is that without the face to face interaction and being able to 'read the room' people don't talk as much/roleplay as much currently. I get really paranoid about if its going well, but I ask everyone individually, and everyone says they are having a good time. So, I'll continue on as is, and once covid maybe lets us travel again...we'll still get together when we can as friends of 29+ years
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2421 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2020 :  06:42:23  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are sites with RPG services. RPoL.net for play-by-forum, obsidianportal.com for hosting campaigns (with wiki engine, at that).

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 17 Mar 2020 06:44:46
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1281 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2020 :  08:35:05  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone, sounds like Roll20 is the thing to check out.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2020 :  19:04:53  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Seravin,

Let us know how it goes for you! I am curious!

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000