Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Baldur’s Gate 3 revealed!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2020 :  03:55:24  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe keftiu,

I certainly wouldn't judge that as bad, even though it does seem like they are lining up additional games. I consider that good product line development in this case. Can't fault them there.

If they focused more on the story than the leveling (as to why they did that) that would be really cool!

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

Oh, and another neat detail: only covers levels 1-10.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2020 :  12:33:42  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Baldur's Gate 1 also had a level cap. It was around 7 depending on the class. I don't think a level cap of 10 is unreasonable.

Tarlyn Embersun
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2020 :  21:18:29  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's my thought exactly. BG1 was a fantastic game in it's own right with a lowish level cap.

Though granted, I knew nothing about DnD at the time, so I had no idea about what higher levels would grant each class.

That little tidbit about Ranger was interesting. I wonder what their solution for Favoured Enemy is going to be.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2020 :  09:29:46  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Y’know, I’m increasingly thinking the mind flayer plot is a red herring...

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2020 :  14:00:06  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, in the AMA they did say that the connection to the story of BG1/2 would be readily apparent when you get farther into the game. It's not impossible that this mindflayer crisis is just a side-crisis that unintentionally reveals a bigger and more cosmic plot involving Bhaal.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2020 :  19:41:43  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

Well, in the AMA they did say that the connection to the story of BG1/2 would be readily apparent when you get farther into the game. It's not impossible that this mindflayer crisis is just a side-crisis that unintentionally reveals a bigger and more cosmic plot involving Bhaal.

That’s my thinking exactly, especially given that DiA establishes the Dead Three are all active somewhere near the city

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2020 :  22:48:48  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe keftiu,

What makes you feel it is a red herring?

Best regards,

quote:

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Quickleaf
Seeker

99 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2020 :  01:24:58  Show Profile Send Quickleaf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been gathering obscure bits of D&D/BG lore and I think there are going to be strong story connections to the Bhaalspawn story that haven't been revealed yet, and possibly are being kept secret because they're part of a big twist. I'll call out where I deviate from pure facts into speculation.

Thematically, the way Bhaal and Bane used their spawn to be reborn isn't that far off from how the mind flayers work, with elder brains feeding on tadpoles (like how Bhaal "fed" off energy of his slain children to be reborn), and tadpoles possessing people (like how Bane "possessed" his cambion son). I think it's even possible that the memories of the Bhaalspawn are somehow still in play through the strange workings of the mind flayers, and may even be part of the tadpole possession or become something you can interact with in BG3.

Additionally, there's an aesthetic parallel between the mind flayer tadpole pool (which appears in the BG 3 trailer) and the symbol of Bhaal surrounding by twelve swirling blood droplets (as seen on the alternate cover for Descent into Avernus): https://i.imgur.com/tckJWKg.jpg This may be pure coincidence.

Baldur’s Gate 3 Lore Tidbits & Speculation

1. Playable races include Githyanki and Tieflings-with-subraces (from Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes) such as the Asmodeus Tiefling.

speculation: The presence of tiefling sub-races based on archdevils suggests devil/Nine Hells-based intrigues feature in BG3.

2. Swen mentioned that the protagonist gets the nautiloid to crash land about 200 miles east of Baldur's Gate. Which just happens to be where Elturel was before being dragged to hell in Descent into Avernus.

source: https://youtu.be/gwYrmp3_6Nc?t=1335

3. Also, Swen said that the city being destroyed by the mind flayers was Yartar which lies east of Neverwinter and Triboar. This is way to the north of Baldur's Gate.

source: https://youtu.be/gwYrmp3_6Nc?t=1335

4. The NPC Shadowheart mentions "the chase through hell.”

source: https://youtu.be/gwYrmp3_6Nc?t=1525

speculation: This may imply the nautiloid ship was planeshifting into and out of the Nine Hells. The snowy twilight canyon the red dragons chase the nautiloid through does have strange crystal formations that glow with their own light (https://youtu.be/gwYrmp3_6Nc?t=1272)...

5. The NPC Gale has a "destruction orb" like a ticking bomb in his chest. Interestingly, a "devastation orb" was mentioned in connection with Yartar in Princes of the Apocalypse (p175): Members of the Hand of Yartar thieves' guild acquired a "devastation orb" from the Lord Protector of Triboar's vault and attempted to auction it off to the highest bidder.

source: https://youtu.be/gwYrmp3_6Nc?t=1070

6. “As we desperately seek a cure, we discover the tadpole gives us godlike powers and we find ourselves on the centre stage of a complot hatched by none other than the Dead Three: the gods of Murder, Tyranny, and Death.”

source: https://i.imgur.com/wDhL6kh.png from the official Larian Press Kit for BG3: https://larian.com/press

7. The Dead Three – Bhaal, Myrkul, and Bane – are no longer dead, but rather existing as demigods. Rather than retreat from the world along with most gods (at Ao’s command), they chose to remain among mortals in a weakened state as demigods to enact their schemes.

source: DNDBeyond https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIdSoaR7SH4 & Dragon Talk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAveVhvydhM

8. In Baldur’s Gate 2, Gorion’s Ward either destroys or absorbs whatever is left of Bhaal’s essence and even has the option to take his place as the new Lord of Murder.

source: Baldur’s Gate 2

9. The last known Bhaalspawns (Abdel Adrian & Viekang) fought, and one was killed, while the other turned into a blood-soaked horror that was defeated by adventurers. With all of his spawn dead, Bhaal’s essence was unbound, allowing for his resurrection.

source: Murder in Baldur’s Gate, page unknown.

10. Myrkul retrieved the Silver Sword of Gith from the Abyss and gave it to one of his followers. Also, Myrkul was depicted as a nearly dead god-corpse floating in the Astral.

source: Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer

speculation: Githyanki are known for inhabiting god-corpses, and some could have a fortress on Myrkul’s semi-alive body.

11. Bane appears to have been reborn by consuming his half-demon (cambion?) son Iyachtu Xvim in a pillar of green flame and using his body.

source: The Grand History of the Realms, page 152.

12. In the high-level adventure Tyranny of Souls (from the Scales of War 4e adventure path), Vlaakith has just been assassinated and Tiamat seizes Tu'narath, commanding the githyanki to go after her enemies (metallic dragons) instead of their traditional enemy - the mind flayers. However, a Separatist faction of githyanki opposes bowing to Tiamat's whims. This breaks the old compact, and the spirit of Gith (which was languishing in Dis, the 2nd layer of the Nine Hells) possesses a young githyanki woman who masquerades as Vlaakith reborn. Holy cow!

source: Dungeon #168 (July 2009)

Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2020 :  02:21:31  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Learned Scribe keftiu,

What makes you feel it is a red herring?

Best regards,

quote:

They were incredibly cagey about what makes this a third game in the franchise rather than a new thing, and seemed to imply there were plot details they can't share with us. Between that and how much they hyped Descent Into Avernus as the prequel to this (which doesn't feature mind flayers at all, but /does/ have the Cult of the Dead Three as an early-arc antagonist), plus that the press kit again mentions the Dead Three and a few scattered mentions that the plot deals with the schemes of gods, I think Bhaal and his buddies matter much more than the illithids.

The two plots might come together - the Origin Characters might all be Bhaalspawn/Chosen/somehow important to the gods, for instance - or it might be a handy excuse to unite the party before things go in another direction.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2020 :  18:48:58  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe keftiu,

Yeah, I could see that being sort of red herring as you saw with Xvim doing his deal in Tymora's Luck.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
283 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2020 :  19:12:59  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tarlyn

Baldur's Gate 1 also had a level cap. It was around 7 depending on the class. I don't think a level cap of 10 is unreasonable.

And even though BG1 had a level cap,,, it was almost immediately "modded" out. Of course, to get any benefit from modding out the level cap there has to be something you can gain... spells, abilities, feats, etc.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2020 :  19:21:14  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe ElfBane,

Yeah, good point on BG1 (such a great game).

I just hope they sandbox it as much as possible to allow many options for leveling, etc., so you don't see everyone hitting the same places for farming purposes. I want the feel it looks like it may have.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1527 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2021 :  12:02:21  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

Divination magic is fundamentally difficult to implement in a CRPG. That's why adaptations keep the buff spells but don't port the more esoteric spells over.

Kingmaker is noteworthy in that the diviner wizard is arguably the strongest specialization because of its school powers, but has the tiniest amount of specialized spells.

Anyway, I pretty much expected Original Sin 2 in a D&D chassis, so I got what I expected. I'm more hyped up for Wrath of the Righteous and its implementation of mythic paths (I get to be a lich! Wheeee!)

I'm resurrecting this because I got into the Wrath beta, and I thought I'd share my thoughts.

Owlcat listened to feedback pretty well; Wrath has the advantage of pretty smart AI and itemization avoids the pitfalls of '+x or bust', with plenty of unique loot (there's a longsword you get in game that you can upgrade every chapter to become a holy avenger, for instance).

Companions are pretty decent. Some have weak writing (Sosiel, the cleric of Desna you get), while some have pretty solid characterizations (Regill, the Lawful Evil gnome hellknight who basically is a professional military officer). Evil characters are actually well-portrayed, between Regill and Daeran, the NE Aasimar oracle. The neutral characters are pretty fun too - Lann's a bit dry but mechanically good, while the kitsune wizard took up one of the best wizard archetypes (and, unfortunately, I don't play her much as I'm already the party wizard).

Mythic paths are rather interesting, so far. Liches get an undead companion and a host of unique spells, and if you're playing an arcane caster you can combine your lich spellbook with your arcane spellbook. Azata get a dragon pet, and the Aeon involves you snapping time over your knee.

Mythic abilities are hilariously overpowered, especially if you're a ranged attacker. Spellcasters get wonderful abilities like 'you get a free quickened spell each round' and 'your first three spell levels get double slots/casts' stacking up to three times until you get 9th level spells. To be fair, bosses can be pretty wild and some encounters necessitate you making good use of spells (I like having Woljif dump an improved invisibility on me before I open a door, throw in a wail of the banshee, then mop up with soulreaver or horrid wilting)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000