Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 DM's Guild
 Moonblade history?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2018 :  14:58:54  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Some time ago, back when the earth (and the DM's Guild) were young, I contemplated doing a history of the moonblades. But upon reflection, I concluded that the books in which these were featured were written so long ago that there would be little interest in these elven artifacts.

If you ARE interested in such a story, which of these would be of most interest?

• A general history of the moonblades

• A short history of specific blades, such as Arilyn's, the Kingsword, or the Craulnober moonblade, with a write-up of each wielder and the power he, she, or they added

• A listing of lost or unclaimed blades, with story hooks for possible campaign adventures

• A brief debunking of moonblade myths and misconceptions

• Bits of short fiction to illuminate the history of certain wielders

• Recent history, with an update on the current state and probable future of the elven monarchy.

• Other?

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 31 Dec 2018 15:00:58

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2018 :  15:02:00  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Can the question be "which of these would be of least interest", then I can just select "other" and look forward to ALL the other options!

Oh ok, if I must choose... option 3 (closely followed up by option 6, 2, 1)

Many thanks, Elaine...certainly looking forward to seeing the end results of this.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2018 :  15:06:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All of the above!

Though if I had to narrow it down, I think a listing of lost or unclaimed blades, with perhaps a bit of their history or powers, would be very cool.

I've actually been fiddling with writing up a moonblade myself, though it's more of a MacGuffin than anything else. Even the history and powers are beside the point; I just need the blade so someone can try to retrieve it. I'm still detailing it, though, because I like moonblades.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2018 :  15:17:50  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Debunking moonblade myths gets my vote, and the general and specific histories from times gone by.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2018 :  15:52:43  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where is the "all of the above" option?

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2018 :  16:06:13  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
option 2
Go to Top of Page

vertus
Acolyte

Brazil
18 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2018 :  16:29:59  Show Profile Send vertus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All of the above, of course!!!

If I must choose, it's a tie between 2 and 3

"Misty morning
Clouds in the sky
Without warning
A wizard walks by"
Go to Top of Page

John Daker
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2018 :  17:18:08  Show Profile Send John Daker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would definitely purchase anything you put on DMG, Elaine!

"All of the above" is my true answer, but if pressed I would say the last option "Recent History" would be slightly less preferable than the others, because it's the most likely to be ignored and contradicted in future official WotC releases; and slightly more preferable than the others all would be short fiction, only since you're a proven master at that.

I do wonder why more Realms authors haven't used the Guild as a place to continue telling Realms stories. If I understand the rules correctly, anyone can publish Realms fiction there so long as the product also includes "game material." Probably the barrier is compensation -- I suppose it's even harder to make a living producing DMs Guild material than it is to do so writing novels, and the Guild content producer is also responsible for things like art, layout, and file formatting that aren't traditionally the prose author's job. But I'm really glad you're considering it, and I hope you do take the plunge.

Also, I don't know how lengthy a product you envision, but if it's of any decent length (even as little as, say, 30 pages), please consider making it available as a Print on Demand product and not just PDF. I'm just too old-school, and while I do buy some PDFs I much prefer to have a real book or pamphlet in my real hands!
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2018 :  19:55:43  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Obviously all of them, but short fictions about wielders, stories of specific moonblades, and the future of the elven monarchies (you know, with what happened to Myth Drannor, and Amlaruil being MIA) get my vote.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Iahn Qoyllor
Acolyte

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2018 :  21:57:51  Show Profile Send Iahn Qoyllor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Obviously All of the Above. That would be both my first, second and third choices. Followed swiftly by yes please all of the above!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2019 :  00:30:45  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm actually more interested in the history of Evermeet itself. Before Zoar, how was it ruled and by whom? Any issues, internal dissension, problems during the Crown Wars? I can't imagine either the Vyshaan or the Ilythiiri left it inviolate.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2019 :  13:51:30  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I'm actually more interested in the history of Evermeet itself. Before Zoar, how was it ruled and by whom? Any issues, internal dissension, problems during the Crown Wars? I can't imagine either the Vyshaan or the Ilythiiri left it inviolate.

-- George Krashos

Interesting notion. An ACTUAL history of Evermeet, as opposed to the narrative Danilo pieced together to give Arilyn a better sense of her family histor (aka the novel Evermeet) would be an interesting project.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2019 :  13:52:23  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If my understanding of DM GUILD rules is correct, "short fiction" would have to be VERY short--the sort of sidebar nictional narrative seen in game products. Just saying.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 01 Jan 2019 14:33:54
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2019 :  16:21:59  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All of the above!

Happy New Years BTW!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2019 :  18:37:20  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Peeks in*

I followed a post of Elaine's on FB here.

I am super surprised that I remembered, on first attempt, my password.

For me, pretty much any and all of those options. Though 3 and 4 are probably the most interesting/useful.

And for number 4... maybe some common in-world myths and misconceptions about them would be useful as well. What do those in the Realms, who know of the blades, believe but incorrectly so.

-Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Xnella Moonblade-Thann
Learned Scribe

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2019 :  19:01:05  Show Profile Send Xnella Moonblade-Thann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Umm...is "all of the options" an option? If not, options 1, 2, 3 & 4 would suffice...

"Sweet water and light laughter until next we meet." - traditional elven farewell

Please forgive any spelling and grammer errors, as my android touch-screen phone has no spellchecker. If I do make a grammer mistake, please let me know and I'll try to fix it.

New laptop, still trying to sort my "scrolls" on its shelves...and when will this cursed thing stop doing things I tell it not to?
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2019 :  22:58:01  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaine,

Given I know firsthand how hard it is to focus on too many things, if I had my druthers, from YOU I'd love to see this

-Bits of short fiction to illuminate the history of certain wielders

From different authors I'd prefer different things. For instance, if it were Krash, I'd want history in a "treatise" type format. If it were some others around here (just to throw out here, Diffan), I'd prefer they write up rulesets. Furthermore, I like Krash's idea of doing more history pertaining to Evermeet, and if these two might conjoin (i.e. history fleshing out Evermeet through the eyes of moonblade wielder), it sounds like a good mixing of worlds. In particular, this might be interesting in referencing the Kingblade being wielded by different members of the Moonflower family. Also, just because my brain may be foggy, do we have even a rough date for when the moonblades were first created? I'm just curious how many ROUGH times these blades may have passed hands.

Along these same lines, other SIMILAR types of blades (for instance, Myth Drannor had the elfblades Ruler's Blade, Artblade, Warblade) having stories or histories would be of interest in a similar volume if someone wanted to expand the concept. Might there be something similar with the Leshay and Llewyrr elves of the Moonshaes? What about the Star Elves of Sildeyuir? What about the avariels of the northern realms (and for me... over in northern Anchorome too)? What about the Poscadari elves of Anchorome that don't even seem to speak the same elvish language as the elves of Faerun? What about the Nimbrese elves who have mostly died out or the elves on the moon? What about the Moondark elves of the Moondark Mountains?

It would also be of interest to me if there were similar types of blades during/prior to the crown wars, but which chose their wielders on entirely different views of worthiness. Weapons wielded by the Vyshaan and Ilythiiri (maybe not even swords mind you... maybe some of these cultures favored spears, bows, staves, wands, etc..). Maybe some of these items are somewhat linked to demons or devils in ways similar to Gargauth and the shield of the hidden lord and can be traced back to the degradation of their cultures. Along similar lines, any kind of artifact specific to the Dlardrageth lineage. Stories of any of this could be a fun read.

Obviously, I'm just throwing out ideas for you. Wouldn't expect them all, but maybe something inspires an idea. BTW, I know its not a new idea (after all, the sword in the stone is a bit of a worthiness test), but did you get a bit of an "ahhh" moment in the marvel movies when Thor was discussing being worthy of Mjolnir? Granted, I already had my own ingrained ideas from reading the comics, but I couldn't help comparing the concept with moonblades (except moonblades are deadlier).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 02 Jan 2019 00:21:11
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2019 :  00:11:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-- George Krashos

Ooooo! I particularly like the sound of this. Consider it seconded.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2019 :  00:41:32  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:

-- George Krashos

Interesting notion. An ACTUAL history of Evermeet, as opposed to the narrative Danilo pieced together to give Arilyn a better sense of her family histor (aka the novel Evermeet) would be an interesting project.

Oh, and another idea along these lines that popped in my head in listing out the below. The Llewyrr elves of Sarifal were elves that fled the mainland and went to the Moonshaes to Synnoria/Gwynneth/Sarifal. Meanwhile around the same time according to the GHotR we have the Vyshaan moving out to occupy Evermeet almost 8000 years after its creation in -17600 DR. Why did it take 7800 years for the elves to go to Evermeet after summoning it millenia prior? Who was ON the island prior to the elves? Where did the Leshay of the Moonshaes come from? Was there some kind of falling out in Evermeet in -9800 DR causing the fey of this isle to spread out into the world? Was it perhaps the Vyshaan coming there (i.e. chicken or the egg?)? Similarly, the Yuirwood starts getting settled at roughly the same time. Might we find that some powerful fey similar to the Leshay went there?

From GHotR

–9800 DR
The Vyshantaar Empire’s forces occupy all elf realms (except Keltormir) from the High Forest of Aryvandaar to the sweltering southern forests of Ilythiir. They begin the colonization and settlement of Evermeet [–17600, –1100].

— Yuirwood is settled by small numbers of green elves in the aftermath of the Crown Wars.
— A large force of Llewyrr elves escapes the oppressive mainland and resettles in isolation and safety among the mountains of the Moonshae Islands. Their new land becomes Synnoria, after the elf queen who led the Llewyrr to this island sanctuary.

Also, in discussing other types of weapons in other cultures... sea elves? Maybe they have similar items in trident form? Its a culture much overlooked (such that I did so myself just now).

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 02 Jan 2019 00:54:24
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2019 :  02:30:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sea elf history, military discussion, and tactics would be kind of cool.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2019 :  09:57:04  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

That topic is far removed from moonblades, but it would be an interesting notion to explore in another project.
Go to Top of Page

vertus
Acolyte

Brazil
18 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2019 :  23:53:48  Show Profile Send vertus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Content Guidelines from DMs Guild states: "RPG supplements and stock art resources only at this time. Short opening fiction to illustrate your RPG setting is allowed, but only if included in the setting material (not sold separately)."

That is subject to interpretation, as I see it.
Short fiction opening could be maybe a 2-4 pages snippet in a 16-32 pages supplement.
Now, the books I cherish the most from the 2e days are those that are light on crunch and heavy on fluff.
Maybe, if the backstory of the items is told in prose format, interspersed with game stats, and the description of the characters that used them could follow a Monster Manual or Hero Lorebook format, with a Stats block, equipment, motivations, foes and allies and HISTORY.
The same could be done with spells, rituals, etc.
FR and FRE series came to my mind as good examples of "fiction" heavy supplements.
A 128 pages "Moonblades of the Realms" maybe?

"Misty morning
Clouds in the sky
Without warning
A wizard walks by"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2019 :  03:59:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

That topic is far removed from moonblades, but it would be an interesting notion to explore in another project.

Yeah. Sorry. Hehe. Sleyvas immediately started me off on another area of fun speculatory ideas.

Edited by - The Sage on 03 Jan 2019 03:59:42
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2019 :  13:27:07  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vertus

The Content Guidelines from DMs Guild states: "RPG supplements and stock art resources only at this time. Short opening fiction to illustrate your RPG setting is allowed, but only if included in the setting material (not sold separately)."

That is subject to interpretation, as I see it.
Short fiction opening could be maybe a 2-4 pages snippet in a 16-32 pages supplement.
Now, the books I cherish the most from the 2e days are those that are light on crunch and heavy on fluff.
Maybe, if the backstory of the items is told in prose format, interspersed with game stats, and the description of the characters that used them could follow a Monster Manual or Hero Lorebook format, with a Stats block, equipment, motivations, foes and allies and HISTORY.
The same could be done with spells, rituals, etc.
FR and FRE series came to my mind as good examples of "fiction" heavy supplements.
A 128 pages "Moonblades of the Realms" maybe?

Easy enough... Story mixed with historical treatise format. Maybe discussing organizations, adventuring companies, mercenary groups, families, etc.. that may have been around. It could even be written with footnotes like Ed favored for his dragon articles.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2019 :  18:37:52  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The main 3 I would pick would be:
-short history of known blades (and whereabouts?)
-recent history of blades, and to extrapolate, known certain wielders
-whereabouts of other blades, or the families searching for lost blades (as adventure hooks)

Heck, if you shared a recipe for German chocolate cake as narrated by Danilo, I'd buy it!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2019 :  19:15:57  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Renin

-whereabouts of other blades, or the families searching for lost blades (as adventure hooks)

Heck, if you shared a recipe for German chocolate cake as narrated by Danilo, I'd buy it!

Lol, I would too, especially if it explained when Danila visited our world to get the recipe (i.e. German). Just kidding. It tickled my funny bone.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2019 :  20:10:39  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

Lol, I would too, especially if it explained when Danila visited our world to get the recipe (i.e. German). Just kidding. It tickled my funny bone.

I would have to figure he somehow snuck along, or weaseled his way in, with the 'Wizards Three' and visited Ed's living room at least once.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2019 :  03:07:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm suddenly picturing Danilo visiting Earth, going back to Toril, and trying hard to convince Arilyn to come back to Earth with him to check out a Victoria's Secret store.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Xnella Moonblade-Thann
Learned Scribe

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2019 :  20:30:55  Show Profile Send Xnella Moonblade-Thann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'm suddenly picturing Danilo visiting Earth, going back to Toril, and trying hard to convince Arilyn to come back to Earth with him to check out a Victoria's Secret store.

OMG...I'm dying of laughter over here in my corner of the 'Keep...I can imagine Arilyn isn't impressed and is wondering why Danilo wants to buy a few pieces (in blue, of course) for her to wear...

"Sweet water and light laughter until next we meet." - traditional elven farewell

Please forgive any spelling and grammer errors, as my android touch-screen phone has no spellchecker. If I do make a grammer mistake, please let me know and I'll try to fix it.

New laptop, still trying to sort my "scrolls" on its shelves...and when will this cursed thing stop doing things I tell it not to?
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2019 :  23:10:10  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

And Arilyn is confused why all these human females are wearing fake wings.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2019 :  23:15:09  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

I would have to figure he somehow snuck along, or weaseled his way in, with the 'Wizards Three' and visited Ed's living room at least once.

Actually, you know what, I know we were joking, but that's NOT a bad idea for a premise. Granted that would probably have to be an Elaine/Ed Crossover, and I don't know how well that would go, but I'd honestly, if I heard it was written, buy that. I loved those Wizard's Three articles. Since Mordenkainen's involved as well, he could be represented in reference to his tome of foes and possibly trying to gather realmsian information to update said work. Throwing in a cameo of Arilyn AND Danilo also showing up... and a visit by Elaine to Ed... That COULD be a really fun read.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000