Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 DM's Guild
 Moonblade history?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2019 :  05:09:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My dream mashup remains having Danilo, Arilyn, Tzigone, and Matteo all having to meet and work together for some cause. Danilo and Tzigone together would be a riot, and watching Arilyn and Matteo having to deal with those two would be priceless!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2019 :  22:42:37  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

My dream mashup remains having Danilo, Arilyn, Tzigone, and Matteo all having to meet and work together for some cause. Danilo and Tzigone together would be a riot, and watching Arilyn and Matteo having to deal with those two would be priceless!

That would be one hell of a bridge game, wouldn't it?
Go to Top of Page

Deepening Moon
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2019 :  23:56:04  Show Profile Send Deepening Moon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm also interested in this as well as the relations between the island of Evermeet and the Vyshaan or the Ilythiiri during the Crown Wars. And also why the island was settled almost 8000 years after its creation.

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I'm actually more interested in the history of Evermeet itself. Before Zoar, how was it ruled and by whom? Any issues, internal dissension, problems during the Crown Wars? I can't imagine either the Vyshaan or the Ilythiiri left it inviolate.

-- George Krashos

Interesting notion. An ACTUAL history of Evermeet, as opposed to the narrative Danilo pieced together to give Arilyn a better sense of her family histor (aka the novel Evermeet) would be an interesting project.

Oh, and another idea along these lines that popped in my head in listing out the below. The Llewyrr elves of Sarifal were elves that fled the mainland and went to the Moonshaes to Synnoria/Gwynneth/Sarifal. Meanwhile around the same time according to the GHotR we have the Vyshaan moving out to occupy Evermeet almost 8000 years after its creation in -17600 DR. Why did it take 7800 years for the elves to go to Evermeet after summoning it millenia prior? Who was ON the island prior to the elves? Where did the Leshay of the Moonshaes come from? Was there some kind of falling out in Evermeet in -9800 DR causing the fey of this isle to spread out into the world? Was it perhaps the Vyshaan coming there (i.e. chicken or the egg?)? Similarly, the Yuirwood starts getting settled at roughly the same time. Might we find that some powerful fey similar to the Leshay went there?

From GHotR

–9800 DR
The Vyshantaar Empire’s forces occupy all elf realms (except Keltormir) from the High Forest of Aryvandaar to the sweltering southern forests of Ilythiir. They begin the colonization and settlement of Evermeet [–17600, –1100].

— Yuirwood is settled by small numbers of green elves in the aftermath of the Crown Wars.
— A large force of Llewyrr elves escapes the oppressive mainland and resettles in isolation and safety among the mountains of the Moonshae Islands. Their new land becomes Synnoria, after the elf queen who led the Llewyrr to this island sanctuary.

Also, in discussing other types of weapons in other cultures... sea elves? Maybe they have similar items in trident form? Its a culture much overlooked (such that I did so myself just now).

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2019 :  02:33:05  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the very first answer i'd want would be a resolution to the basic question created by the multiple source / multiple writer /timeline problem

When and where were the moonblades created? Were they all created in the same place and time? Perhaps why differing sources are confused is that there was an initial batch of moonblades made in one place and then over the next few thousand years different clans that were not among those present at the claiming had them made... idk.

Its been my contention that, if a moonblade was created in the timeline from the Evermeet novel, and that it was passed every 2-400 years, the AVERAGE moonblade would be MUCH more powerful than the most famous, which has only had a few wielders.

I once wrote up a moonblade for fighter mages following this sort of timeline and soon found that it was game-breaking, even with the powers added being simple +s or ring powers.
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2019 :  15:58:18  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

the very first answer i'd want would be a resolution to the basic question created by the multiple source / multiple writer /timeline problem

When and where were the moonblades created? Were they all created in the same place and time? Perhaps why differing sources are confused is that there was an initial batch of moonblades made in one place and then over the next few thousand years different clans that were not among those present at the claiming had them made... idk.

Its been my contention that, if a moonblade was created in the timeline from the Evermeet novel, and that it was passed every 2-400 years, the AVERAGE moonblade would be MUCH more powerful than the most famous, which has only had a few wielders.

I once wrote up a moonblade for fighter mages following this sort of timeline and soon found that it was game-breaking, even with the powers added being simple +s or ring powers.

The timeline for each blade would be different. The AGE of the moonblade is not relevant to it's power, only the number of wielders (not heirs) and which powers, if any they imparted to the blade.

The way around the overpowered problem is simple: It's possible and even likely that many blades lay dormant for long time periods, even thousands of years.

If no heir is worthy, the blade will go dormant. I'm sure there are more than a few houses that went a generation or two without a worthy heir.

Therefore, 2,000 years could go by without any powers being added to the blade.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2019 :  22:16:57  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If a moonblade was made 10,000 years ago, say, and is passed down generationally, then you'd expect one to be handed down about every 300 to 500 years even if not a single wielder was ever killed in battle (20-33 potential wielders). I would expect that most wielders would be killed in battle, however. These are the elves that go out and fight the orc horde, that are in the front line against the army of darkness, that stand against the flight of dragons; that means they die a lot to save other elves. Even if you only figure that half the wielders of moonblades die young in battle that could put a single moonblade up to 50 wielders with scores of powers.

I also don't really buy into the moonblades lying around dormant forever waiting for someone to try to draw them bit... at least not until clans are whittled down to almost nothing. Everything we have ever seen about elves - including the moonblade claiming ceremony from lovely Elaine here - tells us that after the named heirs are struck down there would not be a shortage of others arrogant enough to believe they are a worthy heir. The moonblade I wrote up had several extended periods of non-use and still ended up with 25 powers before I decided it was getting too absurdly powerful, and I had not even reached the Fall of Myth Drannor at that point.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2019 :  00:52:38  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't be surprised if over time the souls of past blade wielders didn't somehow or another get drained out or used up by the blade. Maybe the souls of the previous wielders can only provide powers for a few millenia and thus the powers that a blade held long ago may be different than today.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2019 :  20:16:40  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If a moonblade was made 10,000 years ago, say, and is passed down generationally, then you'd expect one to be handed down about every 300 to 500 years even if not a single wielder was ever killed in battle (20-33 potential wielders). I would expect that most wielders would be killed in battle, however. These are the elves that go out and fight the orc horde, that are in the front line against the army of darkness, that stand against the flight of dragons; that means they die a lot to save other elves. Even if you only figure that half the wielders of moonblades die young in battle that could put a single moonblade up to 50 wielders with scores of powers.

I also don't really buy into the moonblades lying around dormant forever waiting for someone to try to draw them bit... at least not until clans are whittled down to almost nothing. Everything we have ever seen about elves - including the moonblade claiming ceremony from lovely Elaine here - tells us that after the named heirs are struck down there would not be a shortage of others arrogant enough to believe they are a worthy heir. The moonblade I wrote up had several extended periods of non-use and still ended up with 25 powers before I decided it was getting too absurdly powerful, and I had not even reached the Fall of Myth Drannor at that point.

Well my point was two things: Just because someone can pick up a moonblade does not mean it's ACTIVE...it can still be dormant.

This solves the problem of houses being wiped out for lack of a worthy wielder.

So, it's entirely possibly a moon blade could be wielded as a normal weapon while dormant for several generations without a hero to add powers to the blade.

Also, if a wielder dies young without a suitably heroic career, they may not add a signature power to the blade, maybe just a minor "reserve" of power or another use of an existing power or adding 1 caster level.

There have been very long periods of time with elves not in any major conflicts, which means some users could live a very long time indeed, perhaps without accomplishing much at all to impart to the moonblade.

Just some thoughts I have on how to reasonably limit the powers.

There could also be a cap on the powers each blade can contain based on it's age, and the greatness of the family/house to which it belongs.

This would give you options for scaling blades that makes more sense.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2019 :  03:42:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd not expect anyone to wield a dormant moonblade... At least, not for long.

Any elven family with a dormant moonblade is not going to be flashing it around for all to see, and if a dormant blade wound up in non-elven hands, any elf that found out about it would be quick to remove that blade (and likely the hands!) from the wielder.

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2376 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2019 :  04:21:49  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I also don't really buy into the moonblades lying around dormant forever waiting for someone to try to draw them bit... at least not until clans are whittled down to almost nothing. Everything we have ever seen about elves - including the moonblade claiming ceremony from lovely Elaine here - tells us that after the named heirs are struck down there would not be a shortage of others arrogant enough to believe they are a worthy heir.

You make assumptions. I'd make an opposite assumption: big strong clans have less need to have another moonfighter.
Also, being arrogant doesn't mean they cannot follow instructions, or heed someone with more common sense, or exercise patience. Elaith's case is unusual in that he wasn't guided by a tradition.
Also, the elves vary from overeager to risk-averse (and presumably are prone to extremes like in other things) and their enthusiasm for taking a potentially fatal blade-rite should vary accordingly.
And since they are long living and slightly delusional, too excitable ones have many ways to eliminate themselves, while the ones too risk-averse accumulated and propagated their attitude, until they cannot handle the world outside their homes and gardens at all, and there's Retreat.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2019 :  18:40:06  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaith was pure tradition... and honor... and pride. That was kinda the point.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2019 :  20:23:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Elaith was pure tradition... and honor... and pride. That was kinda the point.

You are both correct. Elaith always followed tradition and did what was expected of him -- but he was unaware of any tradition or expectations for his family's moonblade.

Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2019 :  23:21:38  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'd not expect anyone to wield a dormant moonblade... At least, not for long.

Any elven family with a dormant moonblade is not going to be flashing it around for all to see, and if a dormant blade wound up in non-elven hands, any elf that found out about it would be quick to remove that blade (and likely the hands!) from the wielder.

I'm not following. What good would a dormant moon blade do for anyone else?

They would still be subject to the same restrictions as other non-wielders ie no one else could wield it.

My point was the blade CAN have a weidler, from it's house, without striking them dead. Blade just goes dormant and is a 'regular' blade for all rules purposes.

The wielder could possibly go their entire life TRYING to become worthy of awakening the blade for proper use, and may or may not succeed.

Makes perfect sense to me.....but my doctor says all crazy people think that
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2019 :  17:09:29  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to read any information available about recent or past Moonblade wielders that followed the dogma or actually worshiped the elven god Erevan Ilesere. Rogues, Clerics, Rogue/Clerics, etc...

That would be my dream information from you EC.

Thank you.
CEV
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2376 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2019 :  06:10:47  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

It's still a very fine enchanted (even if inactive, it's a magical weapon) blade of very good metal? Just not an active artifact.
quote:

They would still be subject to the same restrictions as other non-wielders ie no one else could wield it.

Er, why? As far as anyone can tell, it's just a lump of metal with enchantment that can perhaps be detected, but does nothing. That's what "inactive" means, no?
Its only observable unusual property is that most "proper" elves of Faerun are inclined to get violently sentimental about this particular finely crafted lump of metal.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2019 :  19:51:08  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wait, am I misremembering? I thought anyone that touches the moonblade, if they aren't worthy, they get killed. But then Elaith wasn't killed, so maybe I'm wrong. I really should reread those. I enjoyed them the first time around, but second time it would probably stick.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2019 :  22:09:13  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its not anyone that touches them, its anyone that draws them - there's a difference there. Also, I think once they go dormant that might no longer be the case, but I'm not sure of that.
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2019 :  03:02:07  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:

It's still a very fine enchanted (even if inactive, it's a magical weapon) blade of very good metal? Just not an active artifact.
quote:

Er, why? As far as anyone can tell, it's just a lump of metal with enchantment that can perhaps be detected, but does nothing. That's what "inactive" means, no?
Its only observable unusual property is that most "proper" elves of Faerun are inclined to get violently sentimental about this particular finely crafted lump of metal.

That's what I mean. It's just an enchanted blade like any other, without the blood line wielder. So why would it be so coveted above another blade by anyone else?

It's not particular good to any other person other than the family that owns it.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2376 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2019 :  07:15:20  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's what I mean. It's just an enchanted blade like any other, without the blood line wielder. So why would it be so coveted above another blade by anyone else?

It's not particular good to any other person other than the family that owns it.

For others? The shell itself is a very well-made and good looking blade, and as an artifact is magical (not like a high-powered enchantment, but at least in "+0" sense it still should be). Also, a dormant artifact is still an artifact, some people may want to mess with it or trade it.
And the elves IMHO tend toward overreaction mostly because usually they are arrogant and/or insecure, thus easily incensed and won't take a longer way for things that actually matter to them.
Also, they tend toward "mind blindness" to the point where one wonders whether they try fishing with flowers as bait.

Edited by - TBeholder on 28 Feb 2019 07:57:30
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2019 :  08:52:27  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I understood that a blade went dormant when you were the last (and unworthy) potential wielder of your House.

If there is a worthy wielder in a House, the sword will kill everyone who claims it until that worthy wielder does.

It also appears that a sword will "wait" for a worthy wielder (i.e. for the next generation) if there is no one available in the current House. This has been less well-explained in the sources though.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 28 Feb 2019 08:55:20
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2019 :  17:19:24  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I understood that a blade went dormant when you were the last (and unworthy) potential wielder of your House.

If there is a worthy wielder in a House, the sword will kill everyone who claims it until that worthy wielder does.

It also appears that a sword will "wait" for a worthy wielder (i.e. for the next generation) if there is no one available in the current House. This has been less well-explained in the sources though.

-- George Krashos

Didn't I just explain it?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2019 :  20:31:56  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

-- George Krashos

Didn't I just explain it?

Sorry Cards. Missed your illuminating response in all the excitement.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2019 :  21:31:47  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the only question we're not sure of is whether a dormant blade would become momentarily active to fry a wielder - one who is NOT the last in the family's bloodline - who tries to wield it regardless of it being dormant. For example - if Elaith tired to draw the blade AFTER if fell dormant but also AFTER he had a daughter.

I argue it would. The blade is dormant - not dead. Its purpose still holds and part of that is to only be wielded by those of the bloodline who are worthy.
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2019 :  09:47:13  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about a Moonblade for rogues? Not all rogues are unworthy. Not all Rogue Houses are unworthy.

Take House Ahmaquissar for example.... A House of Evermeet, mostly Moon elves, Rogues, thieves, scoundrels and tricksters. You yourself put them in the spotlight. Or starlight. Elves of Evermeet has a nice little section just for them. They all follow Erevan Ilerese, the elven deity of Mischief and rogues, change and adventure.

I can see Elaith Craulnober being fond of this House. I mean that's what Erevan Ilerese represents after all. Change... Chaos, Trickery,
misadventure and devotion to the elven people.

Like I said before in another thread....

Curudin Ahmaquissar: Trickster-Touched Moon elf male of Evermeet. CR 32; Rogue 5/ Cleric 5/ Mischiefmaker 10/ Shadowtrick Priest 10 of Erevan Ilesere. Guildmaster of the Rogues of the Laughing Midnight, Lord of Laughingshadow Tower in Everlund, Arch-Duke of The Gambol in Silverymoon, and Mischiefmaker of the north.

All titles are given, not asked for, nor wanted by Curudin.

If ever you were to make a Moonblade for a rogue NPC this is it. You could tie this in with any event within the last 200 years.

Defiant to all authority, even his own god. Curudin walks a special path. Seeking ancient elven ruins to recover his heritage, he breaks the laws of elves and beasts. Some elves say it takes a special kind of outlaw to defeat the evil they face today. Other elves say he is a curse to the good will of Corellon.

Hero of the poor, Anti-hero of the rich, Mischiefmaker to all elves. Curudin cares only for himself and The Elven People! But mostly for himself. As a Chaotic sword, in the lungs of Law, he wonders what his next misadventure may be. Shall it be wenching and drinking? Stealing and thieving? Or simply upsetting the rule of law in any town or city he happens upon? This is his passion. This is his calling. To disrupt the rule of law. Neither friend nor foe, he is all you can expect in a stranger. To misjudge Curudin is to invoke the chances of luck and chaos. Why bet on him, when he's already bet on you!

So there you go Elaine Cunningham. A perfect NPC that I give freely to you as a story line or story arc or some such. I implore you to write about such things, even if it's on the internet. If I can do it in 30 minutes, than so can you.
Go to Top of Page

jamesewelch
Learned Scribe

106 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2019 :  15:05:32  Show Profile Send jamesewelch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just found this thread thanks to Copper Elven Vampire's bump.

I'd vote for all of the above. I'd buy it whether it's POD or PDF. I'd prefer more story/lore than mechanics.
Go to Top of Page

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
275 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2019 :  20:06:33  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Ms. Cunningham's novel "Elfshadow", chapter 7, pgs. 108-109, Danilo is speaking to Arilyn and mentions he wishes polish up her weapons. As his hand approaches the moonblade's sheath, he is struck by a "spark of blue light" that blackens the fingertip, but does not draw blood.

This seems to fit in with what Arilyn said earlier in the novel… that the moonblade would not function, as a weapon OR an artifact, against an innocent. Since it is difficult to imagine that Danilo Thann is “innocent”, I will assume this really means that the blade will not function as a weapon or artifact against a non-threatening, and non-evil, person.

So, how does this fit in with the known lore of Moonblades? Is it possible that this “spark of blue light” came from the sheath, and not the blade?
Go to Top of Page

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
275 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2019 :  20:11:11  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

How about a Moonblade for rogues? Not all rogues are unworthy. Not all Rogue Houses are unworthy.

Take House Ahmaquissar for example.... A House of Evermeet, mostly Moon elves, Rogues, thieves, scoundrels and tricksters. You yourself put them in the spotlight. Or starlight. Elves of Evermeet has a nice little section just for them. They all follow Erevan Ilerese, the elven deity of Mischief and rogues, change and adventure.

I can see Elaith Craulnober being fond of this House. I mean that's what Erevan Ilerese represents after all. Change... Chaos, Trickery,
misadventure and devotion to the elven people.

Like I said before in another thread....

Curudin Ahmaquissar: Trickster-Touched Moon elf male of Evermeet. CR 32; Rogue 5/ Cleric 5/ Mischiefmaker 10/ Shadowtrick Priest 10 of Erevan Ilesere. Guildmaster of the Rogues of the Laughing Midnight, Lord of Laughingshadow Tower in Everlund, Arch-Duke of The Gambol in Silverymoon, and Mischiefmaker of the north.

All titles are given, not asked for, nor wanted by Curudin.

If ever you were to make a Moonblade for a rogue NPC this is it. You could tie this in with any event within the last 200 years.

Defiant to all authority, even his own god. Curudin walks a special path. Seeking ancient elven ruins to recover his heritage, he breaks the laws of elves and beasts. Some elves say it takes a special kind of outlaw to defeat the evil they face today. Other elves say he is a curse to the good will of Corellon.

Hero of the poor, Anti-hero of the rich, Mischiefmaker to all elves. Curudin cares only for himself and The Elven People! But mostly for himself. As a Chaotic sword, in the lungs of Law, he wonders what his next misadventure may be. Shall it be wenching and drinking? Stealing and thieving? Or simply upsetting the rule of law in any town or city he happens upon? This is his passion. This is his calling. To disrupt the rule of law. Neither friend nor foe, he is all you can expect in a stranger. To misjudge Curudin is to invoke the chances of luck and chaos. Why bet on him, when he's already bet on you!

So there you go Elaine Cunningham. A perfect NPC that I give freely to you as a story line or story arc or some such. I implore you to write about such things, even if it's on the internet. If I can do it in 30 minutes, than so can you.

A most remarkable post.
Go to Top of Page

Cosmar
Seeker

88 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2019 :  23:24:19  Show Profile Send Cosmar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Elaine! To answer your original question, I think all of those would be fun to read about, but I particularly would be interested in hooks for lost/unclaimed blades, bits of short fiction to illuminate the history of certain wielders, and recent history/ current state/future of elven monarchy. :)
Go to Top of Page

Athreeren
Learned Scribe

128 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2021 :  15:00:57  Show Profile Send Athreeren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did Ms. Cunningham eventually published her guide on moonblades? I just finished Evermeet: Island of the Elves, and I have a few questions about them (for her, or anyone here who is well versed in moonblade lore).

Some source books* claim that moonblades were made in Myth Drannor (Elves of Evermeet, Volo's Guide to All Things Magical, Minsc and Boo’s Journal of Vilainy…). But Evermeet dates their creation millennia before the founding of Myth Drannor: has anyone ever provided an explanation to reconcile these facts? Are the Myth Drannan swords actually elfblades?

When Ethlando explained the rules for the moonblades, he said: “When the sword's work is done, it becomes dormant. Its magic flees—and the essence of all its wielders is released to Arvandor”. And indeed, a dormant sword can be wielded by anybody. Yet we know that moonblades can be reawaken: do the souls return from Arvandor to the blade? If not, how can the moonblade still have its original powers (if the moonblade can have its powers without keeping the souls of its previous wielders, what was the point of denying them Arvandor?) In fact, toward the end of the book, Amlaruil gets to see Zaor during her short stay in Arvandor. His sword is still active, so why isn’t he in it?

And finally, the fact that only moon elves ever succeeded in wielding a moonblade made me wonder about reincarnation: when an elf return from Arvandor, do they always come back as the same race? If a moon elf would have been a worthy inheritor of a moonblade but dies before they got a chance to claim it, they should come back with a similar spirit. Of course, not being of their original family anymore, they would have no claim to the original moonblade at this point. But if their new gold elf family has an unclaimed moonblade, why shouldn’t they be able to claim it? The simplest explanation would be that this basically never happens, but I can’t find information one way or another regarding the race and family elves are reborn into (expect it’s probably not drow). Of course, I don’t think elves used to return from Arvandor back in second edition, so I don’t expect to find an explicit answer to whether gold elves who use to be moon elves would be able to claim a moonblade. But where can I find more information on the mechanisms of elven reincarnation?

Edit:

* It seems this idea was present from the very beginning, as in Elfshadow, Elaith tells Arilyn that "Many centuries past, the first moonblade was elvencrafted in Myth Drannor" (and here, there's really no reason for him to be lying. For once). Whether he's saying that the first of the moonblades was merely forged there or also enchanted, this is incompatible with moonblades being made 9,000 years before the founding of Myth Drannor. I guess this has to be interpreted as the first 25 of the 300 swords that were made were forged in Cormanthor, and enchanted in Evermeet...

Edited by - Athreeren on 10 Dec 2021 12:41:20
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2021 :  18:48:47  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She has not published her guide, but she still pops in to Candlekeep. I'd ask her in her Chamber of Sages scroll.

Simplest explanation is that they made them millennia ago, but lost the knowledge somehow or culturally decided against making them for a long time until Myth Drannor's era.

As far as lore is concerned, elves should generally reincarnate as elves, but I don't think they have to necessarily come back as the same subrace of elves, though most probably do. That said, if you reincarnate, I would think you lose connection to your family and the blade. You're a new person.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000