Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 FR in recent Dragon magazines?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

martynq
Seeker

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2004 :  10:09:04  Show Profile  Visit martynq's Homepage Send martynq a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
It may just be my imagination, but I don't remember there being many FR articles in the more recent Dragon magazines. Firstly, am I right in this (or just overly paranoid/suspicious), and secondly anyone aware that this is some sort of policy decision?

Martyn

N.B. This is pure speculation on my part, but I'd like to know I am wrong (before I start to create a rumour with no basis!).

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2004 :  11:42:35  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Theres been a few in Dragon (there where 2 Faithes of Faerun articles in 317)

Dungeon on the other hand is another story , there hasnt been an FR module since Forest of Blood

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

martynq
Seeker

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2004 :  13:05:14  Show Profile  Visit martynq's Homepage Send martynq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks... so it is just my paranoid imagination on the Dragon front.

As far as Dungeon goes, I tend to miss whenever a FR adventure appears in it - they're not often enough to warrant my subscribing and otherwise I've found it rather inconvenient/difficult to get hold of.

Martyn
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2004 :  14:15:24  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm, what happened to Dungeon providing us with FR adventures since WotC made the ridiculous decision not to produce anymore pusblished adventures?!

I have tried to keep an eye out on each issue of Dungeon just incase an FR adventure appears, then ill buy that particular issue.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2004 :  16:56:17  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was always under the impression that in recent years Dragon was geared more towards a generic D&D world with just a limited amount of space to specific worlds unless it's an entire issue devoted to one, like the George R.R. Martin issue.

With Eberron getting a big push the last few issues, I can see why there has been a lack of FR articles. I'm quite glad I dropped my subscription based upon these facts and the horror stories I've heard about some people encountering shipping problems.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2004 :  16:57:53  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

Hmmmm, what happened to Dungeon providing us with FR adventures since WotC made the ridiculous decision not to produce anymore pusblished adventures?!

Who stated that would happen? I seem to vaguely recall something akin to what you are saying. However, I don't know if it was a specific person in the company that made this proclamation.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2004 :  17:21:27  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was a rogue "Elminster's Guide to the Realms" in Dragon #316, a bloody prestige class in #315, novel character writeups in #312. Shamefully little of worth.

Circa 2000 the plan was for the series of 32-page modules starting with The Sunless Citadel, plus occasional big modules, but generally WotC swore off adventures from the start. Their only adventure product for this year is a one-off for Eberron.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2004 :  21:09:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack
and the horror stories I've heard about some people encountering shipping problems.

I can likely beat whatever you've heard on their shipping. Let's just say, I can count on two fingers how many issues I received from a three-year subscription.

Edited by - Arivia on 16 Apr 2004 23:49:25
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2004 :  21:30:06  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia
I can likely beat whatever you've heard on they're shipping. Let's just say, I can count on two fingers how many issues I received from a three-year subscription.

Taking deep breaths here. See, there is no way I could tolerate someone doing that after taking my money. I'm sorry Arivia and thankful to you and others who have let me know to beware so I don't ever subscribe to them again.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2004 :  21:55:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Arivia
I can likely beat whatever you've heard on they're shipping. Let's just say, I can count on two fingers how many issues I received from a three-year subscription.

Taking deep breaths here. See, there is no way I could tolerate someone doing that after taking my money. I'm sorry Arivia and thankful to you and others who have let me know to beware so I don't ever subscribe to them again.

I did fight and scream, even though the subscription was a gift. It really annoyed me, too. I was looking forward to that, and it just...*sighs* I just can't think of the right word to express what I feel. It goes beyond rage.

*drags a large desk into the room, with a large pile of scrolls on top. A silver nameplate on the top reads "SiriusBlack, Senior Scribe".*

Congrats, Sirius.

Edited by - Arivia on 16 Apr 2004 21:59:10
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2004 :  23:39:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Though my subscription lapsed long ago, I never had any problems when I was subscribed...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2004 :  00:51:45  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been subscribed to Dragon when TSR ran it and Dungeon till I stopped DM'in for awhile. I have never had a problem with shipping in the 5+ years I've been getting Dragon...... Yes I have had a few issues that were bent but that was our postal service and WOTC sent me a new issue for free.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2004 :  03:31:39  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks again Arivia for your congrats and friendly manner whenever we converse.

Wooly + Kuje: I also had no problems with my subscription before letting it end a couple of years ago or thereabouts. Since then, I've seen way too many posts on various message boards from people having problems with subcriptions like Arivia. I believe it's mainly people overseas, but I've also seen Continental U.S. folks have problems. But, the kicker for me was some of the stories about customer service or lack thereof from the publisher when consumers tried to find remedies. I just don't want to deal with having a subscription to a magazine that has this many problems with getting issues to people.

That being said, if someone feels differently and wants to subscribe to Eberron magazine, I mean Dragon magazine; fly and be free. Just let the buyer beware.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2004 :  03:50:28  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wooly + Kuje: I also had no problems with my subscription before letting it end a couple of years ago or thereabouts. Since then, I've seen way too many posts on various message boards from people having problems with subcriptions like Arivia. I believe it's mainly people overseas, but I've also seen Continental U.S. folks have problems. But, the kicker for me was some of the stories about customer service or lack thereof from the publisher when consumers tried to find remedies. I just don't want to deal with having a subscription to a magazine that has this many problems with getting issues to people.

That being said, if someone feels differently and wants to subscribe to Eberron magazine, I mean Dragon magazine; fly and be free. Just let the buyer beware.

Ah, well as I said I've never had those problems and i've been getting it through three companies. TSR/WOTC/PAIZO..... Maybe that is because i've had a subscrip way back when TSR was in biz, I don't know. And when WOTC had it they always helped me when I needed a new one because the US's postal service destroyed it.....

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2004 :  06:04:44  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Postal System destroy something? Color me stunned.

The June issue of Dragon magazine will feature a Realms piece. Richard Lee Byers has a short story in there featuring one of the characters from his new trilogy.

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 17 Apr 2004 06:05:32
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2004 :  09:26:54  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info on FR content in recent Dragon magazines as they all seem to have been in plastic sleeves with other stuff in there - thus making it impossible for me to thumb through them to check for FR articles. And I thought I may have missed out on FR articles in Dragon. As if.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2004 :  10:40:01  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Though my subscription lapsed long ago, I never had any problems when I was subscribed...

I have to agree. My subscription has been problem-free for the entire three-years that I've been collecting Dragon magazine.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2004 :  12:51:28  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was an article I've meant to find from a few issues back regarding Set and Seth. Otherwise, I've never really collected Dragon. I found that around 90 percent of the stuff inside was not useful for me as a DM. The FR stuff is definitely appealing, but hasn't been worth buying a subscription. I would like to get my hands on one of the cd versions of the earlier Dragons though so that I could cut and paste the fluff that would be of interest.

I've collected Dungeon on the other hand, since issue 12. Even when I would never use any of the written encounters, I can find a tactic, plot idea, npc, map, or something of use. It has been a far better value.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2004 :  17:33:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm exactly the opposite, Sarta... I only pick up Dungeon if there's a Realms adventure in it, and I've not been too hot about staying on top of those.

Dragon, on the other hand... I started with issue 163, and I've gotten every issue since. I also back-tracked some, getting everything back to 148, and about a dozen issues older than that. And then I got the CD-ROM archive, so I've effectively got them all.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

martynq
Seeker

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2004 :  10:19:53  Show Profile  Visit martynq's Homepage Send martynq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I stopped subscribing when there were a whole load of problems when Paizo took over. Fortunately I was in the end reimbursed for the issues they were unable to send over to the U.K. and I managed to get the issues I missed from a games-shop here. This shop now sends me the magazine every month... costs me a little more due to postage but at least I get it.

My intention is generally to get Dungeon whenever it has Realms related info in it, but I seem to have failed a lot recently since it is hard to find out what is in it in enough time to order a copy.

Martyn
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2004 :  22:53:54  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My only problem with the year of subscriptions was in receiving Dungeon and Dragon at least a week after the newsstand received theirs. That happens with almost all subscriptions, however. I always found FR articles too few anyway, even adventures in Dungeon. I have Dragon going back to #89, I think, and Dungeon to #9. Most of these I bought in store when they came out. I even had to replace some early Dungeon's when I thought I lost them in a move(I found them later). They are always a good source of material, FR or otherwise. Of course there are problems from time to time...

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2004 :  03:06:19  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Someone over at ENWorld has posted the contents of Dragon #321. Below are the FR articles within it:

Faiths of Faerun - Arvoreen's Keepers: Looking Out for the Little Guy. Info on this halfling diety, plus 2 related prestige classes: Arvoreen's Keeper for spellcasters, and Arvoreen's Warder.

Elminster's Guide to the Realms - Nurneene's Marvelous Masks. An interesting shoppe in Waterdeep.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2004 :  04:50:48  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder how much more FR content we'll see in the "new" Dragon. I had a realmslore-heavy article rejected last year on the basis that it was just that: realmslore heavy. To see whether the "new" Dragon was past all that I sent them an e-query regarding re-submitting the article. I got this response:

Hi George,

Please check out our new writers' guidelines (attached to this email and
soon to be at www.paizo.com/dragon. The new guidelines present a number of
new options for articles and describe the new editorial direction of the
magazine. The guidelines should give you a better understanding of what
we're looking for and how to get your articles accepted.

We're not interested in articles for a particular campaign world right now.

Thanks!

Matthew Sernett
Editor-in-Chief
Dragon

So it looks like I'll still be buying 4-5 issues a year, if that. Oh, and won't be getting published again, ever.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2004 :  04:55:21  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
We're not interested in articles for a particular campaign world right now.

Thanks!

Matthew Sernett
Editor-in-Chief
Dragon

Unless it's Eberron I guess.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2004 :  15:00:19  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Silven Crossroads has an interview with Dragon's Editor-in-Chief. FR content and EG articles in future Dragons are discussed in this interview.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2004 :  17:29:11  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Silven Crossroads has an interview with Dragon's Editor-in-Chief. FR content and EG articles in future Dragons are discussed in this interview.

It's kind of funny that he also said that WOTC reads every article and gives it's okay, thus making it 100% official material. :)

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2004 :  20:23:12  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31
It's kind of funny that he also said that WOTC reads every article and gives it's okay, thus making it 100% official material. :)

I wouldn't expect him to say anything else but that.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2004 :  13:57:05  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was very interesting to read this interview - especially viz a viz FR content in the form of articles from Ed. I find it VERY hard to believe that Ed hadn't replied to a Dragon query for FR articles, and considering how many editor changes the mag has seen of late, I would say that the ball is squarely in Dragon's court re how much FR content they want in their publication.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2004 :  17:54:56  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those interested, the Editor in Chief for Dragon Magazine is asking "Why don't you buy Dragon Magazine?" in the following ENWorld thread:

ENWorld thread

Any FR fans who aren't buying it because of a lack of Realms material can give input.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2004 :  20:01:08  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok. I've given Dragon a big chance now, waiting for months to see if the situation would be rectified. Alas, the last issue (that I flipped through today at my local gaming store) is still a disappointment, and all traces of the Realms seem to have disappeared from its pages for good... The magazine has no longer any appeal for me. I don't care about D&D Mini strategies and advertisement for D&D Core material. It is sad that Dragon has dropped the Realms ball after such a long history of contribution...
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2004 :  20:34:55  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 'new' Dragon was originally pitched as 'the magazine for players'; now Erik Mona has revised that to 'for everyone who plays D&D, who just happen to be mostly players'. Either way, new Realms content will mostly be in Dungeon, and Erik has said he's lining up some substantial articles by Ed. Though Erik wrote for Faiths and Pantheons, his D&D enthusiasm is for the World of Greyhawk, and I'm chatting with him on the wizards and paizo boards about his ideas for what adventures in the two worlds should be.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000