Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Darkhold
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alrunes Sinethal
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  03:33:35  Show Profile  Visit Alrunes Sinethal's Homepage Send Alrunes Sinethal a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello sages, besides the usual FRCS, Lords of Darkness (3e)

1. Are there any other information on Darkhold's history?
2. The Cyricist and Banite conflicts and personnel? Has Dag Zoreth's stats ever been published?
3. Any news on Sememmon and Ashemmi? Do they still influences Darkhold politics?

It's really too bad WotC turned the Zhentarim into a "religious" cult. It's just unthinkable to me that they ousted Manshoon from the leadership. He was an astute politician that clawed his way to the top to rules Zhentil Keep, I really don't think he would lose political control over an organization and be fine just as an agent. Time for the Zhentarim to say goodbye to Bane if he doesn't wanna work with Manshoon. (At least in my FR world).

.........reborned from the ashes
belovéd of the dead.............

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  05:23:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alrunes, if you execute a general search of the Candlekeep forums, you'll find a number of scrolls that discuss many of the aspects of the Zhentarim you are asking about. Especially concerning Cyricist and Banite conflicts.

As for Ashemmi, here's a Realms Personality update for the Lord of Darkness tome, that you may find interesting.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  06:51:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaine Cunningham had some nice info in her book Elfshadow...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  07:06:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, the information in Elfshadow is good. I especially remember the earlier portions, when the text focuses on the Darkhold.

In fact, I put together a concordance of Zhentarim (and elven) information (for use in my campaigns) from Elfshadow, and a number of other novels.

It's truly a great resource to draw notes from...

Go to Top of Page

Alrunes Sinethal
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  08:44:53  Show Profile  Visit Alrunes Sinethal's Homepage Send Alrunes Sinethal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Sage and Wooly, I will do a search in Candlekeep like a good scholar should.

Oh I love Elfshadow! The mysticism of elves simple oozes and captivates her audience (I probably shouldn't discuss novels here)

.........reborned from the ashes
belovéd of the dead.............
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  15:16:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alrunes Sinethal

Thanks Sage and Wooly, I will do a search in Candlekeep like a good scholar should.

Oh I love Elfshadow! The mysticism of elves simple oozes and captivates her audience (I probably shouldn't discuss novels here)

Feel free to discuss novels on these forums. Candlekeep lacks the heavy-handed moderation of the WotC forums, and discussions of novels are freely allowed.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  19:36:44  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alrunes Sinethal

Hello sages, besides the usual FRCS, Lords of Darkness (3e)

1. Are there any other information on Darkhold's history?

Others can correct me if I'm wrong, but the 2E CASTLES supplement, while not specifically an FR product, did provide the stats and a lot of info on Darkhold, including maps. Unsure if it's provided among WotC's downloadable products, but there's always eBay.... (And I ought to think about clearing a lot of old products out of storage and onto ebay one o' these days....)

quote:
2. The Cyricist and Banite conflicts and personnel? Has Dag Zoreth's stats ever been published?

I believe they were handled there and perhaps in Cloak & Dagger, though I don't have either immediately at hand to check that fact.

quote:
3. Any news on Sememmon and Ashemmi? Do they still influences Darkhold politics?

I don't think either has any influence on Darkhold any longer, as they're renegades on the run from both Fzoul and Manshoon. I'd like to think this situation might be enough to see some changes in these characters, but one never knows....

quote:

It's really too bad WotC turned the Zhentarim into a "religious" cult. It's just unthinkable to me that they ousted Manshoon from the leadership. He was an astute politician that clawed his way to the top to rules Zhentil Keep, I really don't think he would lose political control over an organization and be fine just as an agent. Time for the Zhentarim to say goodbye to Bane if he doesn't wanna work with Manshoon. (At least in my FR world).

Well, we've covered some of our reasons on these changes in other threads, for good or ill. As for how Manshoon was ousted from power, it's akin a bit to Russian politics--there were others far more astute and politically minded than Joseph Stalin, but when you thunder your way to power by force, politics don't always protect you.

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  23:38:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes Mr Schend, the 2e Castles Guide is available as a free download from the WotC site.

For those interested, please visit this Downloads section of the WotC website.

Enjoy...

Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2004 :  04:13:46  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Others can correct me if I'm wrong, but the 2E CASTLES supplement, while not specifically an FR product, did provide the stats and a lot of info on Darkhold, including maps. Unsure if it's provided among WotC's downloadable products, but there's always eBay.... (And I ought to think about clearing a lot of old products out of storage and onto ebay one o' these days....)"

that is correct, Darkhold has its own book in this supplement

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2004 :  15:10:59  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast also details Darkhold castle. It is not up to date and has Sememmon as the ruler but the write up on the actual castle is still useful.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2004 :  15:40:27  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dag Zoreth's 2e stats were published in Dragon, in an article by Elaine released around the same date as Thornhold.

In 3.5e, I would probably make him a Clr or a Clr/Strifeleader (see Faiths & Pantheons).

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Veszaun Auvryath
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2004 :  03:20:23  Show Profile  Visit Veszaun Auvryath's Homepage Send Veszaun Auvryath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hrm, I have a related question, hoping it doesn't go off topic too much.

Anyway, in Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark (great book, by the way) there is the mention of Sememmon finding Varalla's Passage, and, in a nutshell, after this led to that trade accord negotiations were opened between Darkhold and Sshamath.
I'm just wondering if this was ever touched up on in any other gaming product and/or novel in any way? Or was it something too obscure or considered too insignificant to merit further attention?

I know I'm grasping at straws here, but figure it can't hurt to ask *shrugs* , as any tidbits of knowledge on Sshamath are of interest to me and those in our campaign.

"You scoff at the notion of a drow Bladesinger? My, my. How very foolish of you to believe that the Ilythiiri did not possess the secrets of the Bladesong in ages long past. A select few of us have carried a twisted rendition of the 'Song down through the generations. Now, bearing that in mind, will you wipe that ridiculous look of incredulity from your face, or must the keen edge of my blade do it for you?"
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2004 :  13:15:07  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The "Rogues Gallery" for Thornhold is in Dragon #251 and includes writeups of Bronwyn, Dag Zoreth, Algorind of Tyr, and Ebenezer Stoneshaft.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2004 :  20:54:25  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
<<< Anyway, in Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark (great book, by the way) there is the mention of Sememmon finding Varalla's Passage, and, in a nutshell, after this led to that trade accord negotiations were opened between Darkhold and Sshamath.
I'm just wondering if this was ever touched up on in any other gaming product and/or novel in any way? Or was it something too obscure or considered too insignificant to merit further attention? >>>

Glad you liked the book.

As far as I know, this has never been touched on. In fact, it's sort of been neglected, given that Sememmon was "given the boot" from Darkhold in 3e. (My personal preference would have had the Zhentarim split into open civil war as proxies for a religious war between the Banites and the Cyricists, but that hasn't happened officially ... at least not yet.) I'd say it's up to the DM whether the trade continues, how closely held Sememmon kept the trade's existence or the passage's location, or, if it continues, who controls it now.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2004 :  04:15:42  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd
[br
Glad you liked the book.

As far as I know, this has never been touched on. In fact, it's sort of been neglected, given that Sememmon was "given the boot" from Darkhold in 3e. (My personal preference would have had the Zhentarim split into open civil war as proxies for a religious war between the Banites and the Cyricists, but that hasn't happened officially ... at least not yet.) I'd say it's up to the DM whether the trade continues, how closely held Sememmon kept the trade's existence or the passage's location, or, if it continues, who controls it now.

--Eric

Ive actually addressed this as part of the campaign Im DMing "Banites on the March"

(in the interests of not derailing the thread Ill post a link to the Banites on the March thread in the Running the Realms forum

http://www.candlekeep.com./forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2165

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Veszaun Auvryath
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2004 :  05:59:23  Show Profile  Visit Veszaun Auvryath's Homepage Send Veszaun Auvryath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Many thanks for the reply, Eric. I'll leave it to my creative whims, then
And I agree that an internal civil/religious war would have been a much more interesting prospect. Perhaps you can 'strongarm' WotC into it down the road

"You scoff at the notion of a drow Bladesinger? My, my. How very foolish of you to believe that the Ilythiiri did not possess the secrets of the Bladesong in ages long past. A select few of us have carried a twisted rendition of the 'Song down through the generations. Now, bearing that in mind, will you wipe that ridiculous look of incredulity from your face, or must the keen edge of my blade do it for you?"

Edited by - Veszaun Auvryath on 06 May 2004 06:01:22
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2004 :  19:41:10  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dag Zoreth is detailed (2e) in Dragon #251, page 88.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000