Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Great Glacier
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Maskanodel
Acolyte

Canada
18 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  03:25:43  Show Profile  Visit Maskanodel's Homepage Send Maskanodel a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've been thinking about running a game in the Great Glacier region, but I really have no idea about the area. The entire basis of the campaign is essentially revolving around Lamruil of Evermeet planting the Tree of Souls. I'm not sure if I'll have the characters help Lamruil plant the tree, or have them as defenders of the already established new elven realm.

So to the point, is there any info available about the Great Glacier? I'm looking for general stuff. Is there any pre existing culture up there? If so whats it like? Any famous NPCs fromt he area you could tell me about?

Thanks
Maskanodel

Ill Met On The River Of Dreams...

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  03:56:59  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maskanodel

I've been thinking about running a game in the Great Glacier region, but I really have no idea about the area. The entire basis of the campaign is essentially revolving around Lamruil of Evermeet planting the Tree of Souls. I'm not sure if I'll have the characters help Lamruil plant the tree, or have them as defenders of the already established new elven realm.

So to the point, is there any info available about the Great Glacier? I'm looking for general stuff. Is there any pre existing culture up there? If so whats it like? Any famous NPCs fromt he area you could tell me about?

Thanks
Maskanodel

There was a 2e sourcebook by the same name. :) A lot of people didn't like it though.....

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Maskanodel
Acolyte

Canada
18 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  04:09:34  Show Profile  Visit Maskanodel's Homepage Send Maskanodel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it available for download anywhere?? Free downloading hopefully??

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  04:19:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't forget about Iyraclea. She's presented in some detail in the FRCS, but more detail appears in the ELH. This might be helpful for any clerics of Auril, although I suggest you wait to use it if you can until Alaundo uploads the completed version as part of the next update, as far as I know.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  04:42:18  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Is it available for download anywhere?? Free downloading hopefully??

http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=857&

WOTC is also going to be putting out a arctic type sourcebook for 3e some time. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  05:39:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, it's called Frostburn, and it's detailed here

Oh, and kuje...I rather enjoyed the 2e Great Glacier tome. Were you among those who didn't like it? I'm curious as to why...?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  06:22:06  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe that the Arctic Dwarves make their home in that region and I'm sure that there is at least one tribe of human barbarians as well. Ooh and isn't there an Avariel home somewhere around as well?
I'm sure there is also a fair amount of arctic monsters to fight like ice trolls and the rhemoraz worms and of course the folowers of Auril and the frost giants
I agree that Ms Cunningham had a wonderful idea to place the new elven refuge here in this not often enough explored area sounds like a really fun campaign to me. I sure hope she writes a book about it as well!

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  06:30:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wood Elf Ranger

I believe that the Arctic Dwarves make their home in that region and I'm sure that there is at least one tribe of human barbarians as well. Ooh and isn't there an Avariel home somewhere around as well?
I'm sure there is also a fair amount of arctic monsters to fight like ice trolls and the rhemoraz worms and of course the folowers of Auril and the frost giants
I agree that Ms Cunningham had a wonderful idea to place the new elven refuge here in this not often enough explored area sounds like a really fun campaign to me. I sure hope she writes a book about it as well!

Most arctic dwarves live on the Glacier, yes. Any humans who speak Uluik came from there, also. And the Aerie of the Snow Eagles is quite far away, over in the Icerim Mountains.
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  06:43:23  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia
And the Aerie of the Snow Eagles is quite far away, over in the Icerim Mountains.

Farther to the east above Rashema correct? I'm starting to remember now thank you for the information I believe I will go consult my tomes to see if I can dig up any further information on the Great Glacier area...

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  06:48:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wood Elf Ranger

quote:
Originally posted by Arivia
And the Aerie of the Snow Eagles is quite far away, over in the Icerim Mountains.

Farther to the east above Rashema correct? I'm starting to remember now thank you for the information I believe I will go consult my tomes to see if I can dig up any further information on the Great Glacier area...

Actually, pretty much straight north, but yes.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  08:32:14  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Oh, and kuje...I rather enjoyed the 2e Great Glacier tome. Were you among those who didn't like it? I'm curious as to why...?

Nah I thought it was fairly well done, but i've read replies from others who speak of it in contempt and they didn't care for it. If I recall right, they said it mirrored RL to closely.....

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  23:59:41  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't like FR14. It just doesn't feel like the place hinted at elsewhere: its literal pseudo-Inuit break a basic design principle of the setting, and nothing Rick Swan wrote has any feel for the Realms. One freelance paycheque for Swan, permanent marring of the Realms.

Edited by - Faraer on 12 Apr 2004 00:00:30
Go to Top of Page

Maskanodel
Acolyte

Canada
18 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2004 :  02:36:52  Show Profile  Visit Maskanodel's Homepage Send Maskanodel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm waiting for soem to mention the ridiculous prospect of ice elves or snow elves. I hope they dont exist. The thought of another elven subrace brings me to tears.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2004 :  03:54:31  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm waiting for soem to mention the ridiculous prospect of ice elves or snow elves. I hope they dont exist. The thought of another elven subrace brings me to tears.

Give WOTC a chance. When the area is addressed in edition 3.5, artic/snow/ice elves will be included as a subrace of elves having just returned to Faerun.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2004 :  05:07:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've done it(used ice elves, I mean), just not in the Realms, where there are enough elvish races to worry about. And they aren't ridiculous in that world, either. However, there is no normal elf in that setting, mind you...

Edited by - Arivia on 12 Apr 2004 05:08:49
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2004 :  06:31:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There was once an article in Dragon that detailed some areas on interest in the Great Glacier. In the article, there was a brief mention (or rather, it was hinted at) that there was the possibility of a once thriving community of snow elves inhabiting the region a very long time ago, but I've neither seen, nor read anything else on this since that one article mentioned 15 years ago...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2004 :  17:36:27  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have absolutely no problem with unique subraces. That's because the the world-builder (normally the DM) can pick and choose. In the case of the Realms, we have more than enough subraces as it is, so I'd ignore the snow elves. Artic dwarves are more than enough to inhabit that region.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000